What is the Purpose of Tionese Crystals?

I've been trying to figure this out and can't really seem to come up with a good answer. Why do Tionese Crystals exist? At first I thought it was to limit your buying power of the Tionese gear, but you will always have more crystals than commendations, due to how frequently they drop in hard modes.

I honestly have no idea why they are even in the game, and why they couldn't just make each boss drop one commendation, and adjust the price of gear accordingly. Has Bioware ever commented on this, or does anyone have a theory as to why they exist?

Most hilarious detail: Tionese is the lowest endgame PvE gear level. In order to get a single piece of gear through Tionese crystals and commendations, you'd have to complete two dozen hard mode flashpoints. You'd also have to be the unluckiest dude in the universe and get NO drops for your class in all 24 FPs you do. And over two thirds of those items are actually better than Tionese.

Bottom line: The commendations, crystals and vendor serve NO purpose.

They're there for the sole purpose of gearing your most hated companions, since columi/champion gear is so easy your main companions get that - but the ones you don't like get stuck with Tionese!

It's basically a guild consensus for us that we hope BW will introduce some other vendor, that makes the crystals useful.. How about Quick-Growth Agent for tionese crystals?!! Sounds great right??

Most hilarious detail: Tionese is the lowest endgame PvE gear level. In order to get a single piece of gear through Tionese crystals and commendations, you'd have to complete two dozen hard mode flashpoints. You'd also have to be the unluckiest dude in the universe and get NO drops for your class in all 24 FPs you do. And over two thirds of those items are actually better than Tionese.

Bottom line: The commendations, crystals and vendor serve NO purpose.

And to note that the bonus bosses (that drop Tionese gear) are usually harder than the rest of the bosses in the instance.

While I do agree the ratio does not make any sense, I did use the vendor three times now. This is thanks to doing operations and HC modes giving the other commendations.

I think in the current state, Bioware should lower the ratio of required commendations. In terms of tionese crystals, let us buy items from them. For example upgrades, stims, scrolls, crafting blues/purples, etc. The same thing WoW did with their tokens. It was a nice way to make life easier on raiders. Even when done you could sell some of the stuff to pay for repairbills (not that it's really needed ATM).

I've been trying to figure this out and can't really seem to come up with a good answer. Why do Tionese Crystals exist? At first I thought it was to limit your buying power of the Tionese gear, but you will always have more crystals than commendations, due to how frequently they drop in hard modes.

I honestly have no idea why they are even in the game, and why they couldn't just make each boss drop one commendation, and adjust the price of gear accordingly. Has Bioware ever commented on this, or does anyone have a theory as to why they exist?

I felt the same as you until I started doing Operations. Now I can see the full system and what they might have been hoping to do with it.

Normal mode Ops bosses drop the extra tionese commendations that you were looking for in HM FPs without as many crystals. To me, after having cleared normal and hard mode EV and KP, I can see how Bioware made this system to help raiders fill in gaps when RNG loot drops keep missing your class.

So;

HM FPs - a lot of crystals and a few commendations; gives you the taste of gear and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel

NM Ops - a few crystals (I think there were some) and a lot of commendations so that if you're doing both at the same time, the ratio does seem appropriate to the cost of an item

HM Ops - columi commendations to fill that gap

Just my opinion, but I don't think the purpose is to help people only running HM FPs get all their gear in a week or two (yes its possible... I did it, but not the purpose of the system). A good development team will make it possible, but still a time sink. Some people will find the amount of time reasonable and others will not.

• 4 weeks later...
I felt the same as you until I started doing Operations. Now I can see the full system and what they might have been hoping to do with it.

Normal mode Ops bosses drop the extra tionese commendations that you were looking for in HM FPs without as many crystals. To me, after having cleared normal and hard mode EV and KP, I can see how Bioware made this system to help raiders fill in gaps when RNG loot drops keep missing your class.

I'd say you are right. I spent more time in first week as a new 50 doing normal Ops than doing HM FPs. Recently purchased a tionese piece to replace an orange gear I was using. Currently have fewer Crystals and Comms to buy another. I cannot relate to people who have a large amount of Crystals and few to no Comms to buy one piece.

They are called Companion Crystals sir /facepalm

But in all seriousness they are for people who are horribly casual gamers.

Anybody who is active on a daily bases will bypass these for Columi gear.

Just use them to gear out your companions for now, then gear them out in T2 :D

look, bioware is retarded and doesn't really understand how MMOs work. they were just like "put in random loot systems and it'll be fine" just like the bag system, the tionese **** is *********** retarded...just like the bioware staff