Need help upgrading my 10 year old computer

AndrasLives

Hello, thank your for reading.

My computer is 10 years old...and for the most part still works well. I only game on SWTOR and MTG Arena. No problems on MTG Arena. My main issue seems to be low FPS during end game content DXUN Operation (SMand HM), especially. I can see at times i click on a healing abilitiy and it might take a second to activate. I can have at times over 100 FPS, or more....but during boss fights if can dip to 20 or less. i have an ASUS mother board with an intel i5 750, and Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card. 8g ram.

A few months ago i added a fan to solve overheating issues and my computer went from over a minute half load times....to 10-20 seconds. I really cant afford a whole new computer...so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Was thinking maybe CPU/and or Graphics card upgrade. Again, my computer is 10years old. I don't want to buy a new chip or graphics card if my mother board is the problem. I don't want to spend money only to realize i should just start over.

It could be I'm just not good at DPS/HEALS...and am not ready for endgame content. My heals are usually half the other healer....and im fully geared and augmented. I'm not sure if hardware is the problem and keeping me from doing better. the other healer said he had 60-100 FPS....though im not sure if he meant during the boss fights. So i thought, that's where i should start.

Thanks again for reading...hope to hear from anyone soon

Edited by AndrasLives
typo

SWTOR is very CPU intensive and the CPU is the main factor in fps. The i5-750 is rather old by CPU standards. The only worthwhile upgrade would involve replacing the CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

Also, being 10 years old, there could be some other considerations such as the power supply connectors, non-standard motherboard layout, etc, but if the drives are SATA and the ports are USB, it should be feasible.

I'd suggest, if you want to do it, to get some low-end AMD Ryzen, such as a 3600X with a B450 motherboard, and at least 8 gigs of DDR4 RAM.

Be sure to get a motherboard that fits the case. Generally, aim for an mATX or ITX motherboard - the mATX in particular should fit any mid-tower or ATX full tower case.

Another option, of course, is to get some used parts.

The GTS-250 is PCIe, so it should work with the new motherboard just fine.

Also, if you want to improve loading times in general, replace your hard drive with an SSD.

If you're not experienced with upgrading computers, I'd suggest you find some local computer hobbyist who can help you. To keep costs down, find someone who merely wants to help upgrade your computer as opposed to "pimping" it.

Edited by JediQuaker

I\ll be more specific when it comes to PC parts that would best suit you perf/value wise.

CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 3600

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX or MSI Mortar mATX (depending on the size of your case, also Tomahawk has better components).

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000 or 3200 MHz CL15/CL 16 , WIN 10 can eat up 2-3GB of ram fresh installed.

SSD for SWTOR and Windows is a must, it will greatly speed up your PC and loading times.

Samsung 860 EVO is a good buy, one of the best SATA SSD's in the market.

Since your PC is old, it would be wise to get a new brand PSU, 600-650 watts.

Later ofc, you can add better GPU when you can, SWTOR isnt GPU demanding.

I\ll be more specific when it comes to PC parts that would best suit you perf/value wise.

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX or MSI Mortar mATX (depending on the size of your case, also Tomahawk has better components).

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000 or 3200 MHz CL15/CL 16 , WIN 10 can eat up 2-3GB of ram fresh installed.

SSD for SWTOR and Windows is a must, it will greatly speed up your PC and loading times.

This.

If you have the budget buy a gpu as well, it's gonna matter. If not this parts is your best bet budget friendly and really good performance tbh.

The problem here is that you are essentially suggesting "build a whole new computer" - about the only thing left is the case. If the OP could afford to do that, he would just buy a new computer.

I might just but a new computer...when i can afford it. I guess. What to you guys think of the 500$ builds using the ryzen 5 1600 chip that cost 80$?

While it may save a few dollars, I would recommend getting a newer chip such as the 3600. A R5 1600 might not be all that much better than the i5-750. Also, the newer chip would be more future-proof.

Edited by JediQuaker

I might just but a new computer...when i can afford it. I guess. What to you guys think of the 500$ builds using the ryzen 5 1600 chip that cost 80$?

If you are going with Ryzen 5 1600, make sure it's an AF version of the chip.

AMD silently released the 1600 AF as an $85 option, but it's on 12nm instead of 14nm and carries other 2nd-Gen Ryzen features It's basicly a 2600 chip under a different name.

Still, R5 3600 is more future proof, it's faster and newer chip.