Is there a limit on how many people you can refer with Bioware's Refer-a-Friend promo

Zarahemla

So I watched a YouTube video by a SWTOR influencer, and they said that the best way to make credits was to offer credits for referral link clicks. So I took that advice, and referred almost 400 people. However, the last three people I referred got the "Congradulations message" for being referred and they also got the crate with the unlocks in it. (They opened the pack right in front of me, so I know that they used the refer-a-friend link.) However, I didn't get any cartel coins. I called Bioware, and they told me to put in an in-game ticket.

I put an in-game ticket in, and after a while Bioware responded and told me to call their customer service line. I called customer service again, and they said they were not sure, but there might be a limit on how many people you can refer. I asked them to find out for sure, and what that limit is, and to e-mail me. Today I got an e-mail saying that I should make a forum post here. So hopefully a dev can read this and let me know if there is a limit on how many people you can refer with Bioware's refer-a-friend program.

I am hoping that there is not a limit, as this is how I recruit for my guild. The way I figure it is if people are smart enough to figure out how to use the refer-a-friend link (a lot can't figure out how to use it) then they are smart enough to do an operation. In addition to that, it takes a level of trust that you are going to get paid for using my referral link, and being in a guild takes a level of trust.

I also like helping other players (when they help me). That is why I loved the "GDKP" or "Credit Run" loot system. Sadly the command crate system killed off the GDKP loot system, but I can still enjoy the game by helping new players by teaching them about the value of crit cartel market color crystals, and how to make copies of them for free. (You will be surprised how many players run around without color crystals). And I get something back, by getting cartel coins when they use my referral link.

So if a player is able to follow directions on how to use a referral link, and follow directions on how to get a crit cartel market color crystal and how to make a copy for their off-hand weapon, then I figure they are able to follow directions in an operation, and I ask if they would like to join my guild. I feel this is a better way to filter for guild recruitment than simply spamming general chat with a guild recruitment message.

If there is a cap on how many people can use your refer-a-friend link, I don't know how I am going to recruit quality new players.

Because the in-game ticket didn't work, and calling customer service didn't work, I hope to receive an answer here. Is there a limit on how many people can use my refer-a-friend link and if there isn't, do you have any ideas on why three players in a row were able to use my link, get their rewards, but I didn't get any cartel coins from it? (Even though I didn't get cartel coins, I did pay them 5 million credits each, since that is what I promised them - one of them joined my guild).

I have no idea who 95% of the people are who have used my link. The other 5% are long-time guildies.

I guess the rest are getting it off the forum because I don't advertise it in gen chat.

I just counted mine, and I might be off a couple, but there were 203 referrals, so you're doing good.

If there's a limit, no idea.

But I'm bothered by one thing you said:

If there is a cap on how many people can use your refer-a-friend link, I don't know how I am going to recruit quality new players.

Not once in four years have I ever used a referral to recruit anyone to either of my guilds, and I've gotten some top-notch quality players, in every respect. I really do not see how your thinking ever evolved to where you believe that referrals are necessary to snag good players.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Not once in four years have I ever used a referral to recruit anyone to either of my guilds, and I've gotten some top-notch quality players, in every respect.

How did you recruit those top players? The way I figured it is if they can use a referral link, and follow directions to get a crit cartel market color crystal copy for their off-hand weapon, then they can follow directions in an operation.

How did you recruit those top players? The way I figured it is if they can use a referral link, and follow directions to get a crit cartel market color crystal copy for their off-hand weapon, then they can follow directions in an operation.

They were attracted to my guild strictly by the spam the guilds have and what they offer and do not offer. Some people joined and immediately said THANK GOD I found a non-roleplay guild and others said they were attracted by the phrase "no drama" so it's just what we had to say that attracted them.

And people who don't follow directions don't last long in our ops, starting with the requirement to get into our voice chat if they expect to roll with us in an op.

Luckily for us, most of our guildies are 30+ years of age (I'm 50) and follow directions just fine.

[Peace]

Non-RP, no-drama guild active in PVE, Ops, PVP, and conquest, <There Is Only Peace> offers a variety of scheduled activities. Casual (no obligation to participate in events). Details at tiop-ed.swtorhost.com or /whisper for an invite.

[Empire]

Non-RP, no-drama guild active in PVE, Ops, PVP, and conquest, <Empire's Destiny> offers a variety of scheduled activities. Casual (no obligation to participate in events). Details at tiop-ed.swtorhost.com or /whisper for an invite.

Edited by xordevoreaux

A person can successfully use the referral link and still not sub. That's why people only pay subs to use their link. You won't receive any CC if there is no premium subscription (the free 7 days doesn't count).

do you have any ideas on why three players in a row were able to use my link, get their rewards, but I didn't get any cartel coins from it?

One thing is that you don't get the 500 coins if they have used a link in the past. Each account can only "give" those 500 one time.

So many do you want. From 100 BW will poison spit and accuse you of any unlawful activities. ;) I do not know how many I have, I have no desire to count.

You don't have to count the active ones, I states the number above the list

I have no idea who 95% of the people are who have used my link. The other 5% are long-time guildies.

SNIP....

Same here. 352 or so links and more than 95% I have no clue who they are but as far as I can tell there is no limit.

I have a few friends that have double or more than what I have. No limit that I know of.

I continue to get clicks but no one's subbed since February. :confused:

Some of my friends clicked, they are subbed and I think they have been as they keep chatting with me in pm's, yet it says "friend did not subscribe"

???

Some of my friends clicked, they are subbed and I think they have been as they keep chatting with me in pm's, yet it says "friend did not subscribe"

???

I don't think you need to sub to send pm's. You just can't post on the forums. And someone subbed last week. W00t! Thank you, kind sir/madam.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
you are not allowed to post your referral codes, per Bioware... you will want to edit that out before BW does it for you

you are allowed to add them to your forum signature.

No, it doesn't make a lot of sense. but when has anything on an official forum.

That's not quite what the rules say. You aren't allowed to make "link spam" posts for *any* link, referral or not.

Links that (accurately) say something like, "Take a look at ((url)) for exactly the information you're looking for" are not link spam, obviously.