An in-depth look at: Alek

Aurbere

"It's ridiculous, don't you see? The Sith threat ended what, 30 years ago? The Mandalorians are the threat. The Mandalorians are here... almost. We need every able-bodied Jedi we can get."- Alek

The Jedi who would come to be known as Darth Malak was born on Quelii. Alek fled Quelii during the Mandalorian's attack on his homeworld, making his way to Republic space. Alek was then found to be Force-sensitive and was taken in by the Jedi Order for training. During his training, young Alek befriended a young Jedi whom the galaxy would come to know as Revan.

Together, they lusted after the vast knowledge of the Jedi Order, bent on learning all they could. To this end, the two Jedi were taken under the wing of Jedi Master Zhar Lestin, and were trained on Coruscant. They eventually reached the rank of Jedi Knight.

But peaceful times were not ahead. The Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders launched a vicious attack against the Republic, starting the Mandalorian Wars. Revan and Alek quickly vowed to end the Mandalorian threat, but the Jedi Council urged caution. The Council believed that the Mandalorians were tools, that some insidious darkness lurked beyond their sight. They preached patience, telling members of the Order to wait for the true threat to reveal itself.

Revan and Alek refused to sit and watch worlds burn. They began to recruit other Jedi to help fight the Mandalorians. Together, these Jedi formed the Revanchists, and joined the Republic in fighting the Mandalorian warriors.

However, before they joined the war, Revan left Alek on Suujra while he investigated events Onderon and Dxun. There Alek was captured by the Mandalorians and taken to Flashpoint Station. On the station, Alek was tortured and experimented on by the scientist Demagol, who was attempting to locate the source of a Jedi's Force abilities. Alek used the Force to block out the pain he suffered, but he lost his hair because of Demagol's experiments.

After a few weeks of experiments, an Arkanian prisoner, named Jarael, arrived as a prisoner of the Mandalorians. Alek immediately knew that they had mistaken her for a Jedi and pleaded for Demagol to leave her be, telling him that there were some abilities that Demagol had not seen yet. But there would be not time for study.

A Jedi named Zayne Carrick arrived to Flashpoint Station, pretending to be a prisoner of the rogue Mandalorian Rohlan Dyre. Zayne worked quickly, freeing Jarael and Alek, and capturing Demagol. Alek split up from Jarael and Zayne, taking Demagol back to Coruscant to stand trial. Unfortunately, Demagol fell into a drug induced coma before he could stand trial.

After the trial on Flashpoint Station, Revan openly rebelled against the Jedi Council. Alek traveled with him to Dantooine, and other Jedi Enclaves, to recruit new Jedi to aid their cause. During their recruitment of Jedi, Revan and Alek traveled to Cathar to investigate the Mandalorian massacre that took place there. There they felt a disturbance in The Force. They felt the deaths of countless innocents during the Mandalorian nuclear attack on Serroco.

From there, Alek was sent by Revan to meet with the leader of Adascorp Medical Corporation in his stead. Revan had been invited to discuss the potential of bioweapons made from exogorth creatures. Alek found that the creatures and the weapons made from them would be sold to the highest bidder, bidders that included Mandalore the Ultimate. Alek attempted to slay Mandalore, but the Mandalorian leader quickly stopped the attack with his battle-ax.

More bidders arrived, as well as uninvited guests. Saul Karath and Carth Onasi served as the Republic's representatives in an attempt to acquire the weapons from Adascorp's leader- Arkoh Adasca. The meeting had also been infiltrated by Zayne Carrick, Jarael, and Lucien Draay- leader of the Jedi Covenant.

A plan was quickly put into motion by Zayne Carrick. He led the Mandalorians to believe that the meeting was a ploy to capture them, leading to a battle that ended with the exorgoth creatures escaping and devouring Arkoh. Those that survived the battle scrambled for shuttles, while Lucien Draay attempted to arrest Carrick in connection to the Padawan Massacre by the Jedi Covenant. Zayne, Alek, Carth, Jarael, and Saul Karath managed to escape the exorgoths, fleeing to Taris.

Upon their arrival, the group learns that Taris had been captured by the Mandalorians. Zayne heads toward the cityscape to aid the local resistance in beating back the Mandalorians. The rest of the crew leave Zayne and Taris behind. They eventually landed on Jebble, meeting up with Zayne Carrick and Celeste Morne. Zayne and Celeste had arrived to the planet onboard a Mandalorian vessel. The two agents were searching for the Muur talisman, a powerful artifact that allowed Sith Lord Karness Muur to create Rakghouls.

While the group was leaving the planet, they came under attack by a fleet of Mandalorian warships led by Cassus Fett. The group warned Cassus of the impending danger, but he responded with nuclear weapons, bombarding Jebble and wiping out the rakghouls. Celeste Morne then took the initiative to seal herself in stasis with the Muur Talisman to hopefully stop the rise of the rakghouls.

The group left Jebble, intent on stopping the Jedi Covenant. To this end, Alek, under the guise of Captain Malak, contacted Jedi Masters Vrook Lamar and Vandar Tokare to set up a meeting to discuss the Covenant. Alek met with the venerable Masters in a cantina, where he testified to Zayne's innocence in the Padawan Massacre, at which time Zayne promptly arrived with Covenant Master Xamar, who planned to testify to Zayne's innocence as well. Zayne was seen as innocent and Alek was sent to regroup with the Revanchists, bearing a message from the Jedi Council to cease their rebellion. A message that Alek would not deliver.

It was then that Alek abandoned his name and took up the name of Malak, the name that the galaxy would come to fear.

Stay tuned for Malak! :)

I had no idea that Malak joined the Jedi after fleeing a Mandalorian attack on his homeworld...

That really brings a new perspective about his joining the Revanchists.

Also I've given some thought to what could have happened had Revan been able to redeem Malak. If only he'd found a way, would Malak have known anything about the Emperor that could have stopped him? Surely he, Revan and the Exile together could have stopped the Emperor, even with Scourge's betrayal.

Edited by BradTheImpaler

I had no idea that Malak joined the Jedi after fleeing a Mandalorian attack on his homeworld...

That really brings a new perspective about his joining the Revanchists.

Also I've given some thought to what could have happened had Revan been able to redeem Malak. If only he'd found a way, would Malak have known anything about the Emperor that could have stopped him? Surely he, Revan and the Exile together could have stopped the Emperor, even with Scourge's betrayal.

This is an interesting question, and I believe that they could do it. But here's another question, was the Emperor going all out? My memory of the Revan novel is sketchy (or maybe my mind is trying to block out most of it? Poor T3:(), so I don't recall much of it.

But either way, I think Malak's presence would definitely change the battle. I also think Malak would have become more powerful after being redeemed, much like Revan. Would have been interesting to see.

This is an interesting question, and I believe that they could do it. But here's another question, was the Emperor going all out? My memory of the Revan novel is sketchy (or maybe my mind is trying to block out most of it? Poor T3:(), so I don't recall much of it.

EXACTLY how I feel. :(

Seems like he wasn't at first, but after Revan hit his lightning back at him once, he got pissed.

But either way, I think Malak's presence would definitely change the battle. I also think Malak would have become more powerful after being redeemed, much like Revan. Would have been interesting to see.

Agreed.

Edited by BradTheImpaler

From what i recall the emperor was not by all means toying with Revan and the others. It ultimately ended in his favor as was already set to be but i would call that assessment correct they could very well do it, or there would be a even clear possibility.

Revan and malak together facing the emperor, with the exile?! everything could happen.

Revan suprised the emperor and put him in a corner i belive even knocking him back, and he had to resort to his lighting that proved too much to handle for Revan. Allthough with given time revan might have got into the fray again since he was focusing on the force to heal himself.

Also my memory from KOTOR is blury but i think Malak ended up being redeemed sort of if you are light side Revan, after malak is defeated, allthough being too late for him due to his injuries he turns back conceding that revan was the strongest even in the light wich make him see the error of his ways.

something along those lines i think.

Edited by Spartanik

From what i recall the emperor was not by all means toying with Revan and the others. It ultimately ended in his favor as was already set to be but i would call that assessment correct they could very well do it, or there would be a even clear possibility.

Revan and malak together facing the emperor, with the exile?! everything could happen.

Revan suprised the emperor and put him in a corner i belive even knocking him back, and he had to resort to his lighting that proved too much to handle for Revan. Allthough with given time revan might have got into the fray again since he was focusing on the force to heal himself.

Also my memory from KOTOR is blury but i think Malak ended up being redeemed sort of if you are light side Revan, after malak is defeated, allthough being too late for him due to his injuries he turns back conceding that revan was the strongest even in the light wich make him see the error of his ways.

something along those lines i think.

Yes exactly. Malak said he wondered what would have happened if he had been saved instead of Revan. Revan apologized for his role in Malak's fall but said it was his choice.

Then of course his famous last words: "In the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing." :(

Edited by BradTheImpaler

Out of curiosity, Aurbere, are you pulling most of this info out of old Dark Horse comics? It sounds rather familiar, trying to think where all that stuff with the Jedi Covenant happened.

Yeah, most of this stuff comes from the comics.

The very words that Revan repeated when he 'died'. Tragic. :(

Great post by the way Aurbere, I never knew Malak had hair!

Very sad.

I believe his hair was black. Isn't it shocking? :D