Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strike Fighters = Unbeatable?

Berronaxftw
04.15.2019 , 03:54 AM | #1
Hardly ever touched GSF before, but now there's weekly quests for it and bonuses regularly I decided it was a decent time to try.

And my god is it an absolute clusterdump

Decided i'd play bomber because on sheet they looked like the best thing for defending objectives.

Start playing and find I get killed in a single second by strike fighters, ask for advice in group chat and one of em says "its just because your ship isn't upgraded"

Well now my ship is fully upgraded and strike fighters kill me in 4 seconds instead of 1, what a huge difference!

Doesn't matter how much I try to weave through things to evade missile locks I always get insta punked, I just can't get them off me, and when i'm chasing one they seem to be able to turn faster 10,000 meters away at full speed than I can on the spot.

And on the rare occasion I can get on them and start doing damage, I barely scratch their shields nvm get anywhere close to a kill, even when I try and set up a sort of trap full of mines and drones in some sort of tunnel/passage way, they fly through and punk me as if I put nothing there, they just take no damage and destroy all my stuff and I have to wait an entire MINUTE before I can place it again.

Tried scouts and gunships too and its the same story, just get dunked.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Or are strike fighters just that OP? seems to me like there's literally no point in playing anything but a strike fighter, and if that's the case that sucks.

DarthTyranid
04.15.2019 , 09:23 AM | #2
If a strike is taking you down that fast I am guessing it is players using the primary weapon swap 'method' on the Rycer and whatever the pub version is.

I doubt it is intended to be used the way it is being used, but I do not think the devs will fix it anytime soon. All they would have to do is lengthen the cool down a little bit.

Nightmaregale
04.15.2019 , 04:38 PM | #3
Strikes are definitely a good ship class. Personally I would recommend everyone to start in one.
Bombers are surely good at defending, I can attest to that.
Also GSF is a very fast paced game so dying fast and in moments after a bad decision is also kind of normal and it happens to the best of us.

But now to the point: Strikes aren't unbeatable!

In comparison to a bomber the have less hull, more shields and better turning. Which makes them more offensive since they also have good weapons. (especially the build DarthTyranid mentioned can burst a lot of damage)
Just out of curiosity was it always the same person which you can't evade from?

But how to tackle this problem:

1) As a bomber: your choice of weapon is important in this case. Stuff like seekers will help little. Also a direct head on blaster battle will leave you outgunned. WHich leaves you the bombers speciallity their mines and drones. Railgun sentry drone is good due to shield piercing, same as Interdiction drone and mine due to the slow and also partially seismic. (Interdiction mine + seismic can snare the target)
Important is the evading so the mines can work. This can be difficult and hard to learn. Sadly the simple circling the satelite is not good enough. In general the more eratic the better. You can handle them this way in theory but it takes time to whittle them down.

2) As a Gunship: This is actually pretty easysince gunships also pack loads of damage. Though you need to keep distcance and fully charge those shots and hit them. Ion really takes a punch on them with the energy drain. The weapon drain is especially annoying for the Rycer / starguard. The engine drain is also always annoying. In combo with slug railgun you can wreack a lot of havoc on strikes.

3) As a Scout: The T2S still has a lot of attack potential though it is hard to use, but with scouts in general you can win turn wars against strikes. (Assuming you don't boost too much in turning battles) The T1S can also limit the strike with locking it's missile break and System swap.

Well you also could play as a strike too and do the things to them that they do to you.

In general Shield piercing stuff and torpedoes are always a good bet these days.

I hope that helped a bit ^^

Just out of curiosity which server are we talking about?
There are a lot of birds whistling in my head.
Like the Crested Orokeet, the Orokeet, the Orosquab, the Fawn Orobird, the Onyx Orobird, the Jewelled Orobird, the Tropical Orobird. They whistle beautiful songs in a Daydream and when they are hungry the songs become a Nightmare.

taxidermis
04.17.2019 , 05:59 AM | #4
to counter strikes i usually use either GS or tier 3 strike. maxed slug cannon on mangler/quarrel is a 2 hit kill almost 100% of the time on any strike if fully charged unless they are running damage reduction, in which case its a 3 hit kill.
my strategy against a good strike team is hang back (in a gs you should be anyway) and wait for team mates to either strip half their shield or about 1/4 of their health, then usually its a 1 hit kill. also run burst cannons as alot of the good strikes will try to rush you up close, and with evasion maxed and wingman boosting your blc accuracy you can literally melt them within 3000 meters
check out my youtube for SWTOR content @Swtor-Nerd Gaming!
Click for 7 day sub and more! link
Swtor-Nerd's Facebook or Twitter!

Drakkolich
04.17.2019 , 08:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by taxidermis View Post
to counter strikes i usually use either GS or tier 3 strike. maxed slug cannon on mangler/quarrel is a 2 hit kill almost 100% of the time on any strike if fully charged unless they are running damage reduction, in which case its a 3 hit kill.
Just a quick note on your amount of Shots it takes to kill a Strike with Slug. If you're using Slug Railgun and it's upgraded it has 100% Armor Penetration, which means you completely ignore your targets Damage Reduction stat. So the reason you're adding more shots to kill a Strike isn't because of Damage Reduction it's because they either have more shields or hull.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Dimitir
04.19.2019 , 04:20 AM | #6
With a Bomber you NEVER partake in dog-fights or fly around in open space... you find a relatively safe and enclosed position somewhere in the middle of the map if Deathmatch, or safely nested under a satelite if Domination, entrench and spam your drones / mines and stay put... sometimes you get to pick some stragglers already beaten up by other players and finish them with your primaries, but that s about it...
You die because you seem to try to take on strikers 1 on 1 and a bomber doesn t do that.... you hunker down in some debris and wait... usually your teams snipers will position closely around you since it s the safest place for them... with a repair drone and seeker / sentry drones...
you ll drown in repair and assist MVPs at the end of the match, no direct kill ( maybe 1 or 2) but around 10 assist per match... also with a well nested bomber under a satelite it can mean the almost sure win in domination. Capture a satelite and place a bomber under it with a sniper maybe guarding from a distance and the satelite is yours till the end of the match.

Toraak
04.19.2019 , 10:13 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dimitir View Post
With a Bomber you NEVER partake in dog-fights or fly around in open space... you find a relatively safe and enclosed position somewhere in the middle of the map if Deathmatch, or safely nested under a satelite if Domination, entrench and spam your drones / mines and stay put... sometimes you get to pick some stragglers already beaten up by other players and finish them with your primaries, but that s about it...
You die because you seem to try to take on strikers 1 on 1 and a bomber doesn t do that.... you hunker down in some debris and wait... usually your teams snipers will position closely around you since it s the safest place for them... with a repair drone and seeker / sentry drones...
you ll drown in repair and assist MVPs at the end of the match, no direct kill ( maybe 1 or 2) but around 10 assist per match... also with a well nested bomber under a satelite it can mean the almost sure win in domination. Capture a satelite and place a bomber under it with a sniper maybe guarding from a distance and the satelite is yours till the end of the match.
Sounds to me like your describing a tick bomber. Those are slaughtered by veteran pilots fairly easily. The only ones they do well against are a team of new players. Some of the best bomber pilots I've seen flew all around/over/under the sats in a unpredictable way when the enemy is attacking the sat, not just sitting there.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

Verain
04.19.2019 , 09:23 PM | #8
Quote:
seems to me like there's literally no point in playing anything but a strike fighter
There's plenty of reason to play most of the ships in most of the game types (and some of the ships in every game type). Generally, I always recommend this: if you think a ship is really underpowered, you need to play until you see someone doing well in that ship. But if you think a ship is overpowered, the test is much easier: go run a bunch of games as a bunch of strikes.

Based on your description of the bomber, I'm going to assume that your initial feeling will be that a strike is a better version of a bomber. This is probably because you are probably playing the bomber similar to how a strike should be played. Once you are comfortable in your strike, go hunt bombers. You'll probably find that some of them are much harder to hunt than others. Be sure to not write off the other ships in this analysis! If you go hunting a bomber, and every time you do so, some enemy scout comes and peels you (or outright destroys you), that's still a good test- the bomber is positioned such that his team is defending him. Maybe it's a good nest, maybe he's playing with a good group.

You also mention that scouts and gunships also felt really weak. This is definitely not the case! On your strike, focus on peeling scouts, and try to deroost gunships. Also try to actually go for the kill. Notice that some fold immediately, and others are extremely evasive, or are good at dogfighting you or even intercepting your initial dive into their territory. From the matches you get versus good pilots on these ships, you should probably learn more about how to actually play as them against a strike.

In solo play, I suggest this as a bomber:
1)- Begin by telling your teammates where you will be at first.
2)- If you are on a domination match, consider running a type 1 bomber. If you are on team deathmatch, consider running a type 2 bomber. In domination, you will want to place your beacon somewhere that it won't be hunted down. Often, this means that it is on your side of the map, but from a position that requires an enemy to cross into your territory and curve around to kill the beacon. They can and will do this, but it will leave them much more open to any of your allies that want to defend the beacon. If no one cares about defending the beacon, well, it's gonna die. On TDM, give a location for your ammo drone, and try to spread out your defenses enough so that a single aoe doesn't completely wipe everything out. Position yourself such that most enemies have to run across your drones. Railgun drones should not be in a full free-fire position unless you are camping their spawn- normally you should have these tucked away with about half a sphere to a quarter of a sphere of angle that they can attack. Interdiction drones can be packed much tighter, and enemy ships should have to choose between you, the repair drone, and the interdiction drones. If they choose you, kite, ideally by boosting past them. If they choose anything else, hit them with every laser you can and make them pay for hurting your tiny robot children.
3)- Do not attempt to dogfight strikes. Or anything. Even though your maneuverability isn't that bad compared to a gunship, they can pull full stops and often have good access to front guns. Strikes can outmaneuver you, and scouts will eat you alive without deployables. Do not ever make yourself available at midrange to a strike, or attempt to joust.
4)- Bombers are fundamentally support ships (at least the type 1 and type 2 bombers are). This means if your team is not great, you will not be supporting anything useful. If both teams are good- even if your team is worse (aka, you are up against really good pilots, but your team can aim, defend nests, etc.), your time will not be wasted in that bomber.

Bombers are the farthest from the GSF norm, so I get why you'd think they are strictly worse than strikes. But scouts and gunships are both really solid- I think you should play strike and see what strategies these ships do against you.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."