Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando Healing Done Right

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando Healing Done Right

RuQu
02.19.2013 , 08:06 AM | #21
This alacrity argument is ancient. It existed in debates over the value of haste stats in earlier MMOs, and it has raged since launch in this one, compounded by the Scoundrel/Commando regen mechanic.

It's almost amusing to come back to the game after 10 months and see the exact same argument still raging.

Like you, I was an early and vocal opponent of Alacrity for Commandos, and you can see that I mention the negatives in my guide at the top:
Spoiler

I'm not back up to speed yet with the state of the game since 1.2, but the largest issue you are overlooking is that healing is not a 100% up-time activity like DPS. Healing is reactive (even pre-heals, like TP and Force Armor). You don't have to heal non-stop, you only have to heal the damage that comes in.

The cost of MP takes roughly 3.5 seconds to regen (3.33 as someone mentioned above). So long as you take 3.33 seconds per MP, it doesn't matter if that MP has a 3.5s cast time or a 1s cast time followed by 2.5s of dancing...except to the player who died at the 2s mark.

If your surge is hitting DR, feel free to stack Alacrity with your spare item budget. Just make sure you use the extra free time it buys you to stand around regenning ammo, and don't make the mistake of thinking you are a Sage and can immediately follow that faster heal with another.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

JimmyTheCannon
02.19.2013 , 01:05 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
This alacrity argument is ancient. It existed in debates over the value of haste stats in earlier MMOs, and it has raged since launch in this one, compounded by the Scoundrel/Commando regen mechanic.

It's almost amusing to come back to the game after 10 months and see the exact same argument still raging.

Like you, I was an early and vocal opponent of Alacrity for Commandos, and you can see that I mention the negatives in my guide at the top:

I'm not back up to speed yet with the state of the game since 1.2, but the largest issue you are overlooking is that healing is not a 100% up-time activity like DPS. Healing is reactive (even pre-heals, like TP and Force Armor). You don't have to heal non-stop, you only have to heal the damage that comes in.

The cost of MP takes roughly 3.5 seconds to regen (3.33 as someone mentioned above). So long as you take 3.33 seconds per MP, it doesn't matter if that MP has a 3.5s cast time or a 1s cast time followed by 2.5s of dancing...except to the player who died at the 2s mark.

If your surge is hitting DR, feel free to stack Alacrity with your spare item budget. Just make sure you use the extra free time it buys you to stand around regenning ammo, and don't make the mistake of thinking you are a Sage and can immediately follow that faster heal with another.
This exactly. (although my Rapid Scan - read: MP) takes 1.77 with talents and gear) You throw a heal, and use the spare time to throw Rapid Shots. Or Kolto Missile. Or something else that's not going to burn your ammo/heat.

Having the faster heals lets you get the reaction in much, much faster, which is crucial - and tremendous during burst damage phases from bosses. Sure, you'll burn resources faster, but if the tank dies while your longer heal is going off, that's worse.