"Orange" Gear?

Bohmfalk

I'm trying to figure out how to go about gearing up my guy, and have a question about the orange gear. I have read that this is what people generally focus all their attention on, that it's the only thing that we can add stuff to for modifications. What I want to know is, what's the difference between different orange gear within the same 'class'? (Like, what's the diff between one orange lightsaber and the next?)

I'm trying to figure out how to go about gearing up my guy, and have a question about the orange gear. I have read that this is what people generally focus all their attention on, that it's the only thing that we can add stuff to for modifications. What I want to know is, what's the difference between different orange gear within the same 'class'? (Like, what's the diff between one orange lightsaber and the next?)

Basically aesthetics. Other than the mods that are in an orange piece of gear there really is nothing different other than the way it looks. So all you need to do is find orange gear that you think looks good on your character and keep the mods up to date and you're good to go.

And to add...

You can keep using that lvl 11 orange chest piece or LS if you keep the slots updated. Within the modifications it's the hilt (or barrel) and armor slot which establishes the base armor or damage for the piece of gear.

So within a degree you can wear what you want, but don't forget Guardian's don't want to be tanking in light armor.

The difference is the level of the modifications on the gear.

A level15 lightsaber has level 15 modifications in it, but you can remove and replace any modification, if you prefere the look or the sound of a lower level weapon/armor.

The most important modifications is armoring for orange armor, hilts for lightsabers and barrels for blasters. These will upgrade the base of the gear, increase armor level and minimum damage.

Other modifications: Mod, color crystal, enhancment and sometimes augments will only increase your stats.

You can use planetary commendations to buy modifications at the market area of most large cities. Armoring, hilts and barrels cost 7 commendations, while Mods, crystals and enhancments only cost 2. There's usually also a vendor that sells modifications for credits, but these are weaker green modifications.

I'm not sure, but I think a level 15 green modifications counts as a level 15, while a blue counts as a level 16.

Edited by TOURDallas

What do you do about the old mods?

I have a piece of orange gear and put in new mods I got off the GTC. I had to remove the old mods (which cost a packet) and now I have these BOA items in storage.

My toon does biochem(potions).

What do you do about the old mods?

I have a piece of orange gear and put in new mods I got off the GTC. I had to remove the old mods (which cost a packet) and now I have these BOA items in storage.

My toon does biochem(potions).

If you do not plan to use the old mods (sometimes you might for what ever reason) then you do not need to remove them putting an higher mod ontop of it destroys the lower level mod once you accept the change.

Is there some crafting option that can make use of or recyle the old mods or are they just vendor trash?

If there is a crafting option that makes them which one? If I roll an alt with that craft can I give it my old mods and armours like I do my companion?

Is there some crafting option that can make use of or recyle the old mods or are they just vendor trash?

If there is a crafting option that makes them which one? If I roll an alt with that craft can I give it my old mods and armours like I do my companion?

It's generally cheaper to just insert a new mod over an older one, especially at higher levels. This destroys the one in the equipment, but you may not want to use it again anyway since its going to be a lower level mod anyway. As for alt's, i just level them the same way and use the commendations for stuff i ant already make or for a cool new piece of orange gear.

Cybertech is the crafting skill you need for mods, armors, earpieces, drioi parts, ship upgrades and even speeders.

For craftable modifications in addition to other stuff these crewskills make:

Cybertech makes Mods and Armoring

Artifice makes Hilts, Enhancements and Color crystals

Armstech makes Barrels

Now if you have one of these crewskills on the same character you can reverse engineer old modifications of that type for some crafting materials.

However, Mods are "bind on equip", so you can't send your old mods to an alt.

You can only send them if they have never been used.

The most important modifications is armoring for orange armor, hilts for lightsabers and barrels for blasters. These will upgrade the base of the gear, increase armor level and minimum damage.

Other modifications: Mod, color crystal, enhancment and sometimes augments will only increase your stats.

I did not know this, and was actually pretty curious about how the base stats (dmg/armor) got determined. Thank you for sharing.

i will take out the mod if i have another orange gear in another slot that will be an upgrade if i take it out and replace it in the other gear. other than that do not take it out for credits, just leave it in and override it

For craftable modifications in addition to other stuff these crewskills make:

Cybertech makes Mods and Armoring

Artifice makes Hilts, Enhancements and Color crystals

Armstech makes Barrels

Now if you have one of these crewskills on the same character you can reverse engineer old modifications of that type for some crafting materials.

However, Mods are "bind on equip", so you can't send your old mods to an alt.

You can only send them if they have never been used.

Shouldn't ARMORMECH make armoring? Oh well, I'm not complaining, purple armor and purple mods, here I come...

Also, Mods increase attributes (Strength, endurance, willpwoer), Enhancements usually give "stats" and endurance (Crit, Surge, Expertise [although it's listed as an attribute], etc.). Some mods do give small bits of power or surge.