Achievement system is a mess

Elear

This is pretty much only new content for people not in early access, and it's state is, well, bad. Numerous bugs and some design decisions make wonder if achievements were tested at all internaly(I know of changes made due to testing, so probably were). Let's take a look at some issues:

- space achievements are full of unobtainable objectives. Some might be not obvious, sounding like something that could be actuall bonus objective in that mission. But I have no idea how all those doubled objectives with "OLD" added passed trough testing.

- on Tython there is achievement for flesh raiders that on pts didn't count kills for second and third rank of it untill earlier ranks were completed. Now ranks 2 and 3 work fine, but rank 1 doesn't work at all.

- another one on Tython, Tentarek codex entry that many many people didn't get.

- yet another on Tython, about killing training droids. Would be cool achievements, if it was actually doable on old character. If player already has all character slots taken, he's out of luck for this one.

- next planet, Alderaan. There is achievement for killing armed Nerf, but it's part of area quest. Apparently that area quest also isn't repeatable.

- while I was there I also done some quests, killed some elite Killiks. Before leaving planet, I browsed trough all achievemnts that sould have some progress, and none of those related to Killiks were updated.

- landing on Balmorra, I noticed that despite completing whole Consular storyline, his related quest on Balmorra wasn't showing as completed.

Saw on forum threads related to affection not triggering related achievement, about some pvp achievements not working, Some totals not matching up are expected to be hidden achievements.

Anyway, there is no point in complaining about that, we won't gain anything from that. Question here is, what are we, players, supposed to do about that? Wait unti issue just goes away on it's own> Report each and every issue separately? What about issues that are not bugs in standard meaning, but things like something being part of quest and thus unavaible to people that already completed that quest?

I mean, really, achievments are great and all, but what should we do when encountering those numerous issues? Create separate thread for each one? Create thousands of bug reports(each player 10-20 reports each) for them? Do nothing and just hope they will get resolved in some magic patch? BW please, tell us what to do.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out most of issues you mentioned, but this one works fine.

- on Tython there is achievement for flesh raiders that on pts didn't count kills for second and third rank of it untill earlier ranks were completed. Now ranks 2 and 3 work fine, but rank 1 doesn't work at all.

Take a look at tooltips. They need to be killed in specific areas. Works fine. Done it today.

• Dev Post

Hi Elear!

We are aware that there are instances where Achievements are bugged in one way or another. We are investigating them as quickly as possible, and as we get confirmations that something is global, I will update them to the Known Issues list. (I added five new ones today.)

In addition to these, we're currently investigating reports associated with Classes, and Planets, boss encounters in some Flashpoints and Operations. Some instances of lacking unlocks are unique to an account, so we are trying to ensure that we're thorough and that what we list is broken for everyone.

For now, I've moved the Legacy Achievements section to the very top of the Known Issues for you to check on the ones that we know for sure are broken. Please note that we're not adding every single Achievement bug to this list, but most of them will end up here once confirmed.

I found out most of issues you mentioned, but this one works fine.

Take a look at tooltips. They need to be killed in specific areas. Works fine. Done it today.

Odd, but you're right. I simply assumed that since they are linked into chain, they all have same requirements.

Still, it's not as much about listing issues(altough this is good too), but about getting a reply how should we report all those issues, because their numbers could easly overwhelm bug reports system if we were to use it for each achievement with issues.

Edited by Elear

My personal pet peeve is that its super annoying to navigate. The achievement section should be bigger. It's scaled to small. I nearly have to put my nose on my monitor to be able read it. Bigger text font would be nice too. Scalable windows would be nice too. I persoanlly felt that the way WoW handled the achievements and displayed them was spot on.

You pretty much need near perfect eyes to be able to read it.

The only thing i want from the new achievements, is the ability to turn off notifications. :p

Exactly! Why isn't there a UI option to turn the notifications off?

I know they game doesn't have the team it used to, but the achievement notifications look terrible graphically.

I think the Wingmaw needs to be added to the Beastmaster Achievement for Tython in addition to the Terentatek. I just went through Tython today to try to complete it since I have already rolled my Jedis, and these are the only two I were not able to get (they are the known bugged codex entries according to swtor-spy).

Hi Elear!

We are aware that there are instances where Achievements are bugged in one way or another. We are investigating them as quickly as possible, and as we get confirmations that something is global, I will update them to the Known Issues list. (I added five new ones today.)

In addition to these, we're currently investigating reports associated with Classes, and Planets, boss encounters in some Flashpoints and Operations. Some instances of lacking unlocks are unique to an account, so we are trying to ensure that we're thorough and that what we list is broken for everyone.

For now, I've moved the Legacy Achievements section to the very top of the Known Issues for you to check on the ones that we know for sure are broken. Please note that we're not adding every single Achievement bug to this list, but most of them will end up here once confirmed.

Add Jarg & Sorno in all 8-man difficulties to that list.

The only thing i want from the new achievements, is the ability to turn off notifications. :p

This. I don't really care for achievements. It's been done, and I'd rather see TOR have something unique and, well, less annoying/tedious. At the very least, maybe be sparing with them as opposed to "Killed a bunch of weak droids. Achievement!"

My Bounty Hunter chapter 3 is not updating in the legacy, it says not completed and also I don't have the interlude on my load screen and it's been like that since Jan 2012 and numerous tickets have been put in. and CS confirming that I have completed chapter 3. sooooooo many bugs

This isn't a bug but a suggestion. Give us a reason to complete achievements.

You have one. Free cartel coins which are equivalent to real money. So they are giving you money to be able to buy stuff to play the game. One step down from free coins included with a subscription.

There also is a way to turn off notifications. But it turns off your notifications as well. What I would like to have is the ability to turn off having to see every time a guildie gets an achievements while retaining seeing the ones I get.

some of the achievments are bugged but one is really getting my goat, *** did you put a tauntaun only people who went to american pax shows or spammed twitter constantly in the hope to input one of the giveaway codes could get. Edited by Shingara

You have one. Free cartel coins which are equivalent to real money. So they are giving you money to be able to buy stuff to play the game. One step down from free coins included with a subscription.

The vast majority of achievements do not offer such a reward, so he probably wants an incentive to complete the other 99% of achievements..

I'm not sure if it should be considered a bug or not, but I figure it's worth mentioning: the achievement for completing chapter one as an Imperial agent seems to require all four variations of that chapter ending to be completed, as opposed to just the one, resulting in a requirement to level four Imperial agents and complete chapter one four times in four different ways.

I am actually completely lost in those "achievements".

The whole log shows that I have done around 1% of any progress, despite of the fact that I play on my main, who has completed all the planetary quests during 1-50 leveling up plus majority of end game content available before expansion.

Does it make only 1-2%?

Geez, i must really have missed almost ALL the game!

Hello devs, there still seem to be a few bugged lore objects around that cannot be accessed on any class that prevent us getting the Loremaster title. I apologize if some of these have been fixed already (but I'd be suprised if that were the case).

BALMORRA:

The Invasion of Balmorra (Republic)

HOTH:

Caught Between Two Foes

NAR SHADDAA:

There are several "lore objects" as criteria for Loremaster of Nar Shaddaa, each named after the different districts in Nar Shaddaa. What are these? They're definetely not something we players could have gotten before 2.0 to my knowledge.

QUESH:

The Three Families

TARIS:

Rakghoul Disease (Imperial)

TATOOINE:

History of Tatooine

Also, there's another bug: I didn't receive the Dark V Achievement (or for that matter any of the Dark Side alignment achievements), even though I had gotten Dark V before 2.0. I have the "Loathsome" title codex entry to prove I did get Dark V before. Shouldn't it count for the achievement?

Jaesa Willsaam. I've maxed her affection on two characters already. Both Darkside.

You guys told me to put in an in-game ticket, which I did.. But I noticed somewhere on the forums someone said you needed to complete this by having Lightside Jaesa. Who the hell wants Lightside Jaesa?

Hope this is not the case.

There are some things that need to be retroactive which you clearly have the data for:

-A lot of the SM operations bosses don't show up for me, despite having killed them many times and have codex entries.

-Same thing for Xeno (SM/HM/8M/16M), which I have multiple codex entries for. I understand that the game has recorded how many times I've killed them, but if I have (for instance) 6 SM codexes across 6 different toons, I should start at 6/10 or 6/25 kills.

-Old 50 HM flashpoint bosses don't register as having been completed, despite having codex entries and Ice speeders on multiple toons

-One that really annoys me--PvP kills/wins. You open up the PvP finder icon, and it tells you how many kills you have on each toon right there! The data is right in front of my face, so why are you starting at 0 for overall kills? Ditto with non-map-specific wins?