Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Changes to GSF part 1: components that are absolute trash

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Changes to GSF part 1: components that are absolute trash

Urthal
07.30.2020 , 06:51 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Ion Missile is the least used and probably worst missile. I don't think it's *absolute* trash, but it's reasonably close to unused. The missile got a decent number of buffs- it is easy to lock on, has an enhanced range that is second only to the torpedoes, and does a lot of damage, and isn't totally garbage on hull. But it is still limited by EITHER of:
1- For a shield dps missile, it has far too long of a cooldown. As a dps missile like concussion missile, it needs a much lower cooldown.
2- For a CC missile, it has a somewhat too long lockon and its CC effect of snaring a target is far too short a duration.

Now, the actual truth is that this missile is supposed to be a hybrid, neither really a control effect nor dps. It brings solid burst to a targets shields- more damage than anything else in the game- but it often lands this damage on a target who has already had its shields stripped OR a target who has already blown past you and is evading. In both of these cases, it contributes very little. Regardless, I would love to see it made a bit more focused in one of these directions- either increase the snare a bit and lower the lockon time, or see what it looks like with concussion's cooldown.
Ion missile could probably focus more on the crowd control angle. Other niches are well covered by the rest of the missiles. I think it would be a good candidate to move the Weapons and Engine power drain from the Ion Railgun and Remote Slicing to. For how powerful drain is, it needs a way to be avoidable, and Ion Missile is perfect for that. Increase the drain from 20 to 60 or maybe even 80 and you have a terrifying weapon.

DakhathKilrathi
08.03.2020 , 01:36 AM | #12
Has Rotational Thrusters ever not been garbage? Seriously. There's no reason at all to choose that one. It kind of sounds interesting but compared to your other options, there's no point. It's so bad you've probably never seen it being used and may have forgotten that it existed. I dunno how you'd make it good, though.

Ttoilleekul
08.08.2020 , 06:06 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
Has Rotational Thrusters ever not been garbage? Seriously. There's no reason at all to choose that one. It kind of sounds interesting but compared to your other options, there's no point. It's so bad you've probably never seen it being used and may have forgotten that it existed. I dunno how you'd make it good, though.
Can be very useful for quick target switching and great in a dog-fight to quickly turn and face your target. Down side you lose that primary missile break. If it broke missiles too I would use it. But would that make it a bit OP?

Loadsamonie
09.24.2020 , 02:15 AM | #14
I can only speak from a T1/T2 Scouts perspective, as it's literally all I play.

-Rapids are still kind of in the gutter. They're stronger than before thanks to armor ignore, but still lacking in overall killing power. They do a good job of preventing shield regen if you can stay on target, but if you're even semi-accurate in a turning battle then BLC's blow them out of the water anyway.

Clusters I'm not so sure about. They have a short lock-on and ammo is plentiful, but it seems like any ship except a Scout just scoffs at their damage. More and more I'm finding that pods are overall more effective, particularly when it comes to jousting and popping/deroosting gunships (especially since the lock-on sound can scare a Gunship off before you can unload on them). But they don't pair well with the range and firing arc of BLC's, IMO. They're better suited to Lights.

Hence why I have my T1/T2 Scouts set up differently, T1 with Lights/Pods and maximum speed for jousting, attacking satellites and gunship popping, and T2 with BLC's/Clusters and maximum turning for dogfighting and satellite defense.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. Yeah, Rapids are better than they were before the revamp, but still nothing spectacular.

Sabotage Probe is junk as well. Too long of a lock-on time to be of any practical use.

Urthal
09.26.2020 , 12:21 PM | #15
Sabo probe is fine, it's hard to use (short range, long lock on time, but a decent firing arc), but the travel time is almost instant and the effect is devastating. Any buff to it would require a nerf to the travel time.

Interdiction Drive seems pretty bad as well. Effect is ok, you lose your missile break, the cooldown is quite long and the engine power cost is incredibly high.