Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars 7 to be set 30 years after ROTJ.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Star Wars 7 to be set 30 years after ROTJ.

WSRB
03.19.2014 , 06:33 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Edzew View Post
not surprised at all that its set 30 years after ROTJ i mean we know the original 3 will be in it, what else could be the outcome?? as for the new movies... not looking forward to them at all. first of all JJ will most likely lenseflare the hell out of it and make it nearly impossible to watch. and if they change any of the cannon already set up in the novels i will refuse to watch it and just be done with star wars.

the thought that keeps repeating in my mind is "if it aint broke, don't fix it!"
Star Wars nerds, welcome to the world of nonsensical, unnecessary large scale retcons. Superhero and Star Trek fans have been waiting quite some time for you to arrive. Get used to this new world where the gospel gets changed every five to seven years: it's the one thing you can bank on from here on.

Manweth
03.20.2014 , 12:15 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by WSRB View Post
Star Wars nerds, welcome to the world of nonsensical, unnecessary large scale retcons. Superhero and Star Trek fans have been waiting quite some time for you to arrive. Get used to this new world where the gospel gets changed every five to seven years: it's the one thing you can bank on from here on.
We were safe, they said.

We wouldn't have "Infinite Crisis' and the likes" they said.

Our lore would be ironclad, they said.

No, no, NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!

I don't want to be dragged into that hellhole filled with DC, Marvel and Trekkies!

*Looks around, looking for safe haven*

There it is!!!!

*Jumps to LotR universe*

I'll never leave you again preciousss. You are the only constant thing left in my nerdlifesssss.

Edit Note: I always liked Old Republic era MUCH MUCH more than modern era anyway. I kinda only care because KYLE *********** KATARN is getting erased.

Kyle..

gosh darn.

Katarn.

The same guy who is said to be on equal footing to Tulak Hord when it comes down to swordplay.
Manw, Former Vigilance Player and Guardian Advocate.
Former Raider. Eternal Revan Fanboy.
Nothing else matters at this point.

WSRB
03.20.2014 , 08:31 AM | #33
I find the whole attitude of "OMG, they can't erase THAT! If they change THAT, I'm done with (insert sci-fi/fantasy franchise here) forever!" to be extremely childish and nonsensical.

Here's the thing that you have to keep in mind: nothing is being erased. No one is busting into your house, taking all your treasured Star Wars novels and burning them. A movie is coming out featuring the same characters that are in your novels/comics, it just happens that details of their lives are going to be different in the movie than in your novel or comic: that happens all the time.

For literally decades at this point treasured Star Trek novels have been "invalidated" by later episodes of the television series. Star Trek fans have managed to persevere.

Being a superhero fan myself, I've watched DC Comics completely reboot its continuity 4 times since I was ten years old. And the DC method is actually more dignified than the Marvel method of taking bits of their history that are no longer convenient and crafting stories meant to p#ss all over the classic stories that contain the inconvenient facts (take a look at the treatment of Gwen Stacy in Spiderman comics over the last ten years or so for an example of what I'm talking about). Superhero comic readers have managed to survive and continue.

The only thing that matters is this: did you enjoy the stories that you read? If the answer is yes, that's great because that's exactly what those stories were meant to do: entertain you. Since they did their job, now you can put them aside for a moment and go see the movie to let it try to do the same thing on its own terms. If you can do that, trust me, you'll be more than able to carry on being a Star Wars fan.

Wolfninjajedi
03.20.2014 , 10:27 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Manweth View Post
I kinda only care because KYLE *********** KATARN is getting erased.
They aren't getting rid of Kyle, they might get rid of him being a Jedi Knight. But he is still around during the GCW as a Stormtrooper/Rebel Agent(Dark Forces: Soldier of the Empire/Rebel Agent books), so unless they are gonna get rid of the GCW EU too then I don't see Kyle being gone.

In fact, they haven't come out with anything stating what is going and what isn't going so just wait until actual info comes forth explaining what is what.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.