Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Upirlikhyi
09.24.2015 , 10:30 PM | #4671
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaH View Post
People who are determined to be offended by two guys (or girls) smooching in a video game -- while deciding they're also perfectly fine with the mass violence, racism, slavery, sexual coercion and brainwashing featured prominently in said game -- always puzzle me.

IIRC, toggle talk is verboten for this particular topic, as it's considered hate speech by the mods.
Oh i was unaware about the toggle talk ty.

And yes the things that offend people really puzzles me as well. I admit it does take alot to offend me but people have whispered me and said they were offended my in-game toons name which is a ancient Pagan goddess name.
I'm happy to pull my veins out
And braid a rope, I don't need hope
To know that you die slow

Eldartank
09.27.2015 , 08:42 AM | #4672
Toggle talk is considered "hate speech?" How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions. If such an option ever did come up for me, I would simply ignore it since that sort of thing doesn't interest me in any way (to put it diplomatically).

I play this game to enjoy an escape from reality. I just want to be the good guy fighting bad guys (or someone fighting to survive if playing Empire). So if I see any real world social/political issues pop up in any dialogue options, I simply ignore them and go on with my gaming experience.

Diviciacus
09.27.2015 , 09:09 AM | #4673
Quote: Originally Posted by Upirlikhyi View Post
Oh i was unaware about the toggle talk ty.

And yes the things that offend people really puzzles me as well. I admit it does take alot to offend me but people have whispered me and said they were offended my in-game toons name which is a ancient Pagan goddess name.
Oh really.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eldartank View Post
Toggle talk is considered "hate speech?" How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions. If such an option ever did come up for me, I would simply ignore it since that sort of thing doesn't interest me in any way (to put it diplomatically).
I think the idea here is that advocating for a toggle is functionally equivalent to "pray away the gay," as if homosexuality is something that can just be turned off with a switch. This of course is not the case, so Bioware considers it hate speech.
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

SelinaH
09.27.2015 , 09:59 AM | #4674
Toggle talk is considered "hate speech?" How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about?
BW makes the rules, and they've made their stance clear in previous threads:
Quote: Originally Posted by Eric Musco View Post
Amber already came in and talked about cleaning the thread up a bit but I am going to be closing this thread. We are also going to be removing all further threads talking about an SGRA toggle being implemented into the game.

I will personally apologize as this was my error. My hope was that a topic like this could allow for constructive discussion on the inclusion, or lack there of, for SGRA. Unfortunately as we have mentioned previously, including an SGRA toggle is discriminatory and these topics quickly devolve into arguments of the social and moral nature, which have no place on the forums.

This was the statement we made before, which still remains true today:
As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.
"Homogeneity breeds weakness: theoretical blind spots, stale paradigms, an echo-chamber mentality, and cults of personality. A diverse dramatis personae is a powerful tonic against these ailments." -V.S. Ramachandran
"Relax. Stupidity produces antibodies." -Susie Derkins

Shayddow
09.27.2015 , 10:08 AM | #4675
<< How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions>>

It's easy. If you want to avoid the conversation, don't click the "flirt" option. That goes for same as well as opposite gender. Technically, to progress the story, you don't "need" to romance ANYONE.

Unlike the pacifist. They do not have the same option. To progress in the story, you DO need to kill lots and lots of other people, animals, droids.....

"its called Star "WARS" - not Star "Negotiate", Star "Peace", or Star "Mediate"
"peace is a lie"
Shekkel,75 Nimrossa, 75 |Ebon Hawk
Shassella, 70 Barzella, 70 | Begeran
Adonnah, 70 Kydosh, 70 |Harbinger
Tashha, 75 Svgon, 70 and too many others to list here

SithKoriandr
09.27.2015 , 10:26 AM | #4676
Quote: Originally Posted by Shayddow View Post
<< How is it "hate speech" to simply avoid conversations or subjects you don't want to talk about? As for the "same gender romance" stuff, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing that option in any of the dialogues between any of my characters and their companions>>

It's easy. If you want to avoid the conversation, don't click the "flirt" option. That goes for same as well as opposite gender. Technically, to progress the story, you don't "need" to romance ANYONE.

Unlike the pacifist. They do not have the same option. To progress in the story, you DO need to kill lots and lots of other people, animals, droids.....

"peace is a lie"
It's not hate speech, but they want to categorize it as such and said don't talk about it, so really, it's an easy rule to follow
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Eldartank
09.27.2015 , 11:56 AM | #4677
Quote: Originally Posted by Shayddow View Post

"peace is a lie"
Well, that's certainly simple enough for me. I'm just glad that romance (same or opposite gender) is totally voluntary and has no effect one way or the other on storyline advancement. Besides, there seems to be sort of a built in "toggle" anyway. I think if you ignore "flirt" options with any particular NPC/Companion enough times, that option simply stops showing up. I could be wrong about that, but it seems that way to me.

Eldartank
09.27.2015 , 12:03 PM | #4678
Here's the dumb question: Why the hell did I even get involved in this discussion? I'm going back to playing the game. What other people do with their characters is really none of my business, anyway. Good luck and have fun, everyone!

vadess
09.27.2015 , 02:31 PM | #4679
Here's the dumb question: Why the hell did I even get involved in this discussion? I'm going back to playing the game. What other people do with their characters is really none of my business, anyway. Good luck and have fun, everyone!
We are slightly tamer than tumblr?

Nefertuss
09.27.2015 , 03:16 PM | #4680
I play this game to enjoy an escape from reality. I just want to be the good guy fighting bad guys (or someone fighting to survive if playing Empire). So if I see any real world social/political issues pop up in any dialogue options, I simply ignore them and go on with my gaming experience.
If you don't like social, moral and/or political issues in your video games you're in the wrong place buddy, may I suggest you try hack-and-slash games instead? I hear God of war is good.

On topic, my main is a female sniper and romanced Lana Beniko, nuff said.
"Today I kicked a rancor's nads, the look on Vik's face... priceless!"

~Major Arwenin- Havoc Squad