Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eanelinea's Avatar


Eanelinea
06.26.2015 , 11:38 PM | #4171
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
That's like saying "adventurers make up less than 1% of the population, do they really need to be in the game?" What's in a game is what's fun, and more gay/bi (really, they're all bi except for Lord Cytharat)
Personally, I hope not all new NPCs or our old Companions are all bisexual. I prefer a good solid mix really. I want heterosexual, bisexual, completely gay or completely lesbian NPCs or Companions. Don't misunderstand me, I'm glad that both Lana and Theron seem to be bisexual (though as some say, they're probably more playersexual), but I don't want ALL SGRs to be bisexual. I liked that Cytharat was gay only. Sure it sucked they had him only on the imp side, but the point that he was completely into men and not women also was a nice change.

I'll still play the game if all we ever get from now on are bisexual or player sexual NPCs/Companions, but I DO prefer the mixture.

Edited numerous times cause I can't spell worth a toot.
Bioware, please remember our companion spouses when doing new expansions. I want scenes, letters, or something from them, saying they're worried!

Click my referral link to get free rewards.

sentientomega's Avatar


sentientomega
06.27.2015 , 02:42 AM | #4172
Quote: Originally Posted by Eanelinea View Post
Personally, I hope not all new NPCs or our old Companions are all bisexual. I prefer a good solid mix really. I want heterosexual, bisexual, completely gay or completely lesbian NPCs or Companions. Don't misunderstand me, I'm glad that both Lana and Theron seem to be bisexual (though as some say, they're probably more playersexual), but I don't want ALL SGRs to be bisexual. I liked that Cytharat was gay only. Sure it sucked they had him only on the imp side, but the point that he was completely into men and not women also was a nice change.

I'll still play the game if all we ever get from now on are bisexual or player sexual NPCs/Companions, but I DO prefer the mixture.

Edited numerous times cause I can't spell worth a toot.
I, too, like this kind of variety; thing is that if you want the most appeal for your game, hero-sexuality becomes the name of the game so that regardless of companion or player gender, the potential is there and the possibilities limitless.

I think the reply section has a Word-style spellchecker, though I know it can be easy to miss words if you type words that are spelled correctly but still underlined in red.

Xonell's Avatar


Xonell
06.27.2015 , 06:30 AM | #4173
I like characters with defined sexualities too. I think it makes them seem more real. However, I think that if they ever go back and change it, they'll make all romances hero-sexual. It'll be up to the player to decide. It's what they've done since Makeb and I think they'll continue in that direction rather than restricting romances. In fact, I'm kind of suspecting that this is one of the things they're revamping in 1-50.
WANTED: THERON SHAN
CRIMES: Being Too Handsome, Not Calling Enough
If found, please return to SWTOR in next xpac. Thank you.

AbsolutGrndZero's Avatar


AbsolutGrndZero
06.28.2015 , 09:38 AM | #4174
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post
You can totally be a LS sith (the story for this is actually really good imo), bounty hunter, or imperial agent. I do find that the romance with Theron Shan is better for a republic character, and the thing on Makeb is short. You're not missing much with Lord Cytharat.
I would say the Light Side agent is the most amazing story in the game. My first agent was light and now I'm doing dark and while it's fun I really think the light side agent is truly amazing. I can't wait for Fallen Empire to see what happens with HER.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

sentientomega's Avatar


sentientomega
06.28.2015 , 12:10 PM | #4175
I remember being ridiculed for going LS on my Sith, only two of mine (1 inq, 1 warr) fit this description, the vast majority of my Sith are DS, though I have to say playing LS Imperial-affiliated characters has never a dull moment.

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
06.28.2015 , 07:28 PM | #4176
Quote: Originally Posted by Eanelinea View Post
Personally, I hope not all new NPCs or our old Companions are all bisexual. I prefer a good solid mix really. I want heterosexual, bisexual, completely gay or completely lesbian NPCs or Companions. Don't misunderstand me, I'm glad that both Lana and Theron seem to be bisexual (though as some say, they're probably more playersexual), but I don't want ALL SGRs to be bisexual. I liked that Cytharat was gay only. Sure it sucked they had him only on the imp side, but the point that he was completely into men and not women also was a nice change.

I'll still play the game if all we ever get from now on are bisexual or player sexual NPCs/Companions, but I DO prefer the mixture.

Edited numerous times cause I can't spell worth a toot.
I just want to point out that, regardless of their sexuality, all the LIs are playersexual.

Yes, I suppose that might sound like a contradiction - but sexuality is not as simple as gay, straight, or bi in this game simply because not all of the LIs are human, and not all PCs are human. Which means that a lot of pairings are human/alien or alien/different alien (maybe the majority? I don't know, I guess it would depend on how popular the alien species are in this game)... (And on a smaller note, people aren't attracted to all other people of compatible gender - some people like bigger partners, some like smaller, some older, some younger, some don't care about physical appearance as much, and so on.)

Aaaaaanyway... Taking Vette, for example, she's happy to get involved with any species as long as they're male. So she's as happy with a Chiss as with a Sith Pureblood as with a Cathar as with a Human as she is with a Twi'lekk - so long as they're male. (Too many species to include them all, but insert whatever alien-to-twi'lekk species you feel fit in the proceeding.)

Honestly, if we're going to talk about having NON-playersexual characters, we have to make sure that some/many/most won't just hop into bed with any species indiscriminately. Honestly SPECIES is a FAR BIGGER DIFFERENCE than gender. I'd think that realistically, it would be a much more difficult hurdle to overcome.

I, too, would like to see specific sexualities represented. And they are already. It's just that people INSIST on dismissing bisexual characters playersexual, despite ALL NPC LIs being playersexual to begin with. (Lana, Theron, and Lemda are all bisexual characters, who all happen to like the PC regardless of their species or looks.)

(One point of interest, though... Some of these species are not as different between each other as others - for example, the Chiss literally evolved from Humans. Which I suppose means that for some species the difference is not as big. Though it has been a very long time since Chiss and Humans were the same, and Humans have difficulty speaking the Chiss language due to this divergence in evolution - Chiss vocal chords are significantly different from the progenitor species, it would seem.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

xRavyn's Avatar


xRavyn
06.28.2015 , 10:04 PM | #4177
Let's just hope they give us a same-sex love interest of both sexes on both factions in the new expansion since they're aiming for it to be so big... right? Please?

dewayne's Avatar


dewayne
06.29.2015 , 12:55 AM | #4178
i think we may get them since lana is confirmed as a companion. think how many will be pissed if they cannt contiune their romance with as a female. i would say im one but i think is dorne was avalible to femtrooper id dump lana
Darlenee, Dewaynee Morningstar
Republic Trooper, Jedi Knight
I'm a life taker and a heartbreaker

sentientomega's Avatar


sentientomega
06.29.2015 , 01:19 AM | #4179
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Aaaaaanyway... Taking Vette, for example, she's happy to get involved with any species as long as they're male. So she's as happy with a Chiss as with a Sith Pureblood as with a Cathar as with a Human as she is with a Twi'lekk - so long as they're male. (Too many species to include them all, but insert whatever alien-to-twi'lekk species you feel fit in the proceeding.)
"Crazy Sith Channel turned to Mute!" though, undoubtedly, a veritable Vettism in terms of wording; it really doesn't have any place in a universe where not every species comes bi-gendered(to avoid confusion, born overtly female or male, though even that doesn't apply to us IRL, i.e. intersex), given that hermaphrodites exist and I'd imagine Vette accepts such a concept as valid (given that assuming said herms stay with members of their own species, any sex had is arguably same-sex to some degree), her gay panic response is either hypocritical, or just bad writing based on arcane mores.

If the devs decide to keep her straight, so be it; but such a remark as the channel one is totally out of character for Vette, and any negative reaction she has for a warrior interested in other women might better be attributed to jealousy than sexual revulsion toward her female counterparts.

And what makes even less sense is that she can say that and feel justified while being perfectly at ease with some poor sap on Balmorra being brutally ended in their cage (DS points awarded and affection from Vette).

Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Honestly, if we're going to talk about having NON-playersexual characters, we have to make sure that some/many/most won't just hop into bed with any species indiscriminately. Honestly SPECIES is a FAR BIGGER DIFFERENCE than gender. I'd think that realistically, it would be a much more difficult hurdle to overcome.

I, too, would like to see specific sexualities represented. And they are already. It's just that people INSIST on dismissing bisexual characters playersexual, despite ALL NPC LIs being playersexual to begin with. (Lana, Theron, and Lemda are all bisexual characters, who all happen to like the PC regardless of their species or looks.)
I have to say, for the sake of realism, not having everyone as player-sexual has its appeal; but I still feel ambivalent about that, especially as having all opportunities open would cater to the widest possible range.

It would definitely make zero sense to keep Akaavi straighter than straight, I mean to say, just look at her, and listen to her.

I agree that it should be harder for alien companions with sith/human/cyborg characters, especially on the Imperial side; especially as race is such a big issue for 1-50 storylines for the Empire...

"Crazy Sith Channel turned to Mute!" might make a lot more sense if the warrior, even if female, is not a Twi'lek, or specifically, is definitely a human/cyborg/red sith, and as such, the very face of the oppressor most aliens in the Empire are used to dealing with and coming off worst. Her attitude might soften somewhat when she learns of the existence of, say, Captain Hanthor (Cathar in Imperial service).

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
06.29.2015 , 07:15 AM | #4180
Quote: Originally Posted by sentientomega View Post
"Crazy Sith Channel turned to Mute!" though, undoubtedly, a veritable Vettism in terms of wording; it really doesn't have any place in a universe where not every species comes bi-gendered(to avoid confusion, born overtly female or male, though even that doesn't apply to us IRL, i.e. intersex), given that hermaphrodites exist and I'd imagine Vette accepts such a concept as valid (given that assuming said herms stay with members of their own species, any sex had is arguably same-sex to some degree), her gay panic response is either hypocritical, or just bad writing based on arcane mores.

If the devs decide to keep her straight, so be it; but such a remark as the channel one is totally out of character for Vette, and any negative reaction she has for a warrior interested in other women might better be attributed to jealousy than sexual revulsion toward her female counterparts.
I think the whole "Crazy Sith Channel turned to Mute!" exclamation has more to do with the fact that it's her sister the Sith Warrior is talking about/to and less to do with the genders involved (ie: I don't think it's a gay panic response). It's like "OMG Sithy! We came here to FREE my sister, not for you to proposition her! Ewww, that's my SISTER!" (I'd seriously be tempted to punch someone who treated one of my sisters in that manner! Because the Sith's response is akin to arguing the point with someone who has just said no.)

So, I personally still think it could be possible to have Vette reveal herself as bisexual. Is it likely to happen? Probably not. (I take the stand of never assuming a person's sexuality until they've told me explicitly. None of the LIs in SWTOR explicitly state their sexuality (as far as I know), they're never given a chance - PCs of the "wrong" gender are simply never presented with flirt options with those NPCs. So you never get turned down at all, it just never comes up - which gives wriggle room for all the LIs to be something other than straight, if the writers want to explore those possibilities at some point in the future.)

Quote:
I have to say, for the sake of realism, not having everyone as player-sexual has its appeal; but I still feel ambivalent about that, especially as having all opportunities open would cater to the widest possible range.

It would definitely make zero sense to keep Akaavi straighter than straight, I mean to say, just look at her, and listen to her.
It does have it's appeal...But that would take things to a whole other level of technical complexity - because it you'd have to come up with a table of preferences for every LI - including everything from looks (does he or she like BT 3 females/BT 4 males? Does he or she like cyborg bits?) to species (will this Imperial Human sleep with a non-human?) to "alignment" (can Kira stomach a DS JK?). And then you'd have to deal with those of us players who would cry because our favourite isn't into our character on the basis of a seemingly arbitrary trait.

As for Akaavi, I don't know much about her (I got her on my smuggie, then promptly left her on the ship all the time. Guss proved far more useful to my scoundrel in the end.) - but I'd be leery of assuming anything about her sexuality on the basis of her looks or sound. Seriously, if she were a real person that would be rude. (See my point above about never assuming a person's sexuality - that also goes for gender too, by the way.)

Quote:
I agree that it should be harder for alien companions with sith/human/cyborg characters, especially on the Imperial side; especially as race is such a big issue for 1-50 storylines for the Empire...

"Crazy Sith Channel turned to Mute!" might make a lot more sense if the warrior, even if female, is not a Twi'lek, or specifically, is definitely a human/cyborg/red sith, and as such, the very face of the oppressor most aliens in the Empire are used to dealing with and coming off worst. Her attitude might soften somewhat when she learns of the existence of, say, Captain Hanthor (Cathar in Imperial service).
I'd think she'd have problems because the Sith Warrior is... well Sith. But that would be cross gender problems too - males, females, and anything else. But, the writers in their infinite wisdom decided that that didn't matter to Vette.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.