General group etiquette question

These questions are merely for my own education and learning....and not to doubt or call into question the standard etiquette.

1) why in group missions is the general rule of thumb to always select "Greed" if someone is going to randomly end up with the piece anyhow?

a) In my first group mission at level 55, I selected an implant and people threatened to kick me from the group. I honestly did not understand what I did wrong. Can someone please elaborate?

2) What does DPS stand for? I keep hearing this being referred to, but strangely enough ..do not know what it stands for.

3) in CZ-198, the flashpoint gives up reputation cert for beating boss. Is this also something I am "supposed" to select "greed" on or is it open game for selecting need...given it is a reputation cert?

Thanks for the advice/help!

No worries. :)

1.) Greed is the random-draw roll. If you Pass (close the dice roll window) you are actively saying you do not want it. If you Need, you are saying you require it and the game gives your roll preferential treatment. So, basically, you Greed because you are okay with randomly ending up with the item, and it gives everyone a chance to say, "No thank you."

1a.) Did you roll Need on an implant that was not for your skill set, perhaps? Lately I have seen more and more people rolling Need on items that do not have appropriate stats for their class... for instance, a Shadow rolling Need on a Cunning implant. Since Shadows use a main stat of Willpower, it shouldn't have been for the player's character, and it's generally considered impolite to Need on items for companions unless you ask if anyone cares.

2.) DPS = Damage Per Second, and is used as a way to say you're there to hit stuff because it's a simple title to assign damage dealers.

3.) Generally, I'd say yes, Rep should use Greed rolls. However, if you're concerned about it (and honestly, many people are already capped for Czerka Rep) just ask at the beginning of the run if anyone else can use the Rep items. If the others are fine with it, use Need when it comes up. If anyone else still can get points out of the certs, just make sure to clarify which button you're pushing so you have an equal chance to get it.

These questions are merely for my own education and learning....and not to doubt or call into question the standard etiquette.

1) why in group missions is the general rule of thumb to always select "Greed" if someone is going to randomly end up with the piece anyhow?

a) In my first group mission at level 55, I selected an implant and people threatened to kick me from the group. I honestly did not understand what I did wrong. Can someone please elaborate?

2) What does DPS stand for? I keep hearing this being referred to, but strangely enough ..do not know what it stands for.

3) in CZ-198, the flashpoint gives up reputation cert for beating boss. Is this also something I am "supposed" to select "greed" on or is it open game for selecting need...given it is a reputation cert?

Thanks for the advice/help!

The previous reply did a pretty good job explaining things, but I'll try and make it more clear (especilly point #1).

1) In case you weren't yet aware, NEED rolls get priority over GREED rolls. Everyone who selects NEED will roll on the item, and the highest roll wins. If NOBODY selects NEED, then all the people who selected GREED will get a roll, and the highest roll will win. People sho select PASS will not get a roll whatsoever (caveat: I'm actually not sure what happens if everyone selects PASS, as I've never encountered that situation).

You roll NEED if you need it to wear on your current character (some people go as far to say that it should only be needed on if you will use it for your current spec [for instance, if you are currently tanking, they don't think you should roll Need in a DPS piece for your class if there is another person in your group who is currently DPSing as that class], but that point is up for debate). Keep in mind that your "current character" refers only to YOURSELF, not any of your companions.

You roll GREED if you would like the item, whether it be for a companion, for another character of yours, or if you just want to sell it for some credits. However, you don't want to take the item away from a person who actually does need it (per the criteria in the previous paragraph), so you roll GREED so that anyone who rolls NEED will take priority over you, since you probably won't know in advance if anyone does need it.

Again, you PASS if you simply do not want the item for any reason (usually done if you are short on inventory space and don't want to waste a spot on a relatively useless item).

1A) Most likely, you rolled NEED on an item that had stats that weren't for your class. Warrior/Knight = Stength, Inquisitor/Consular = Willpower, Agent/Smuggler = Cunning, Bounty Hunter/Trooper = Aim. If this was the case, people probably considered you a "Ninja Looter", which is someone who rolls NEED on an item that he does not actually need.

Another possibility is that the item did actually have the stats for your class, but the stats were inferior to what you were already wearing (if the implants you were wearing were better than the implant you rolled NEED on, people may have been upset).

Without more information, it's impossible for us to know what (if anything) you did wrong. Sometimes a person will get mad at you for no good reason at all. However, if multiple people in the group complained about it (especially if those players weren't part of the same guild), chances are you probably unintentionally did something wrong.

2) DPS - Damage per second. There are three different roles in group play: Tanks, Healers, and Damage Dealers. When someone is talking about a DPS class (for instance: "Looking for DPS"), they are simply referring to Damage Dealers.

However, this term can also be used in the literal sense talking about how much damage a person is doing. "I did 2500 DPS" equates to "I did 2500 damage per second", which would be the average damage per second that a person did over the course of a fight)

3) My personal opinion is to NEED on reputation items, for a couple reasons. First, they fit the NEED criteria because you need them on your current character (unless you are maxed on reputation, then you have no reason to roll NEED them). Secondly, many other people roll NEED on them, so if you want your fair shot at getting them, you need to roll NEED on them much of the time anyway.

Hope that helped. I probably over-explained some things, but I'd rather type more than you needed to hear then to leave anything out.

The item becomes a free loot, anyone to attempt to loot it again off the floor gets it.

That was my guess, but I've never actually seen it happen. Nice to know that I can provide and receive knowledge at the same time. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with most of the posts above accept for NEEDing on rep stuff. Usually everyone needs it; they're like the random crafting materials that pop up.

You only need on gear, and it should only be for gear that you can use. For instance, you are in 72's, then you would not NEED on a piece that has 69's. Otherwise, you'll find yourself getting yelled at a lot or even booted as a ninja looter.

Agree with most of the posts above accept for NEEDing on rep stuff. Usually everyone needs it; they're like the random crafting materials that pop up.

You only need on gear, and it should only be for gear that you can use. For instance, you are in 72's, then you would not NEED on a piece that has 69's. Otherwise, you'll find yourself getting yelled at a lot or even booted as a ninja looter.

Usually everyone needs it, so everyone is free to roll need on it, same with mats. The biggest reason is because there's almost always someone who WILL roll need on it, so if you want any shot at winning it, you need to roll need on it yourself.

Usually everyone needs it, so everyone is free to roll need on it, same with mats. The biggest reason is because there's almost always someone who WILL roll need on it, so if you want any shot at winning it, you need to roll need on it yourself.

This really varies from group to group - some people feel you should use Greed, while others think Need is appropriate. The safest thing to do with things like Rep Tokens and Crafting Mats is to either:

A) Discuss w/ the group to establish rules before hand (i.e., everyone rolls Need or everyone rolls Greed) to make sure everyone is on the same page.

B) Simply let other people roll first, to see what they are doing and follow suit. If somebody rolls Need on Rep/Mats, then you roll Need, if they roll Greed, you roll Greed.

I've always disliked "DPS" as a descriptor, as even if you are told what those letters stand for, it doesn't actually explain anything. Further clarification and definition is almost always required, so it fails utterly in its job of summing up the role. Also, it is horribly clunky. I am a Damage Per Second, am I? Er, okay...

The expression used in some of the above posts: Damage Dealer (which you could shorten to DD), would be a much more fitting universal term, for it actually defines what the role is in the name. But hell, it has stuck. Nothing we can do about it now. :)

Oh, and I always NEED on those rep tokens in the Czerka FPs, because

i) it's what everybody else does, every time I play them

ii) I do actually NEED 'em!

Edited by PLynkes

Oh, and I always NEED on those rep tokens in the Czerka FPs, because

i) it's what everybody else does, every time I play them

ii) I do actually NEED 'em!

If you have not maxed out the rep it is ok to need on reputation items, then you greed on them for cash.

my $0.02...

only 'Need' on gear if it's if it's better than what you have and directly useable by your character. If I 'need' on gear, i'm usually equipping it straight away.

don't 'Need' on gear for companions without discussing it with the group first (if i'm after, say, moddable Heavy Armour +Aim gear for a companion, i'll ask at the beginning. if the +Aim user in teh group 'needs' it, i'll 'greed' it. if they're fine with you 'need'ing on it, then need away.)

Exotic Crafting Materials: i always, always 'Need' on these and I expect everyone else to do the same.