So...is sniper really that bad?

Hasmodye

I just started playing and rolled as a sniper because i heard that IA story is one of the best and i love playing ranged class on mmo.The problem is that heard that snipers are one of the worst classes for pvp right now and since i'm more of a pvp oriented player that was a really bad new for me.I want to know if thats true or not and if not true where does sniper stand at pvp right know(i mean what about his utility,survivability,dps,etc).

Thanks

Ps:Sorry for my bad english

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started playing and rolled as a sniper because i heard that IA story is one of the best and i love playing ranged class on mmo.The problem is that heard that snipers are one of the worst classes for pvp right now and since i'm more of a pvp oriented player that was a really bad new for me.I want to know if thats true or not and if not true where does sniper stand at pvp right know(i mean what about his utility,survivability,dps,etc).

Thanks

Ps:Sorry for my bad english

Uh no. It 100 percent counters sent/marauders and is getting mortal strike and can't be prevented from cover by roots.

Is is bad atm? Hell no. Is is the hardest class to master in the game? It is up there. Right now sage/sorc is simply better (hybrid spec that is being nerfed) in group play, while also being mindblowingly easier to play. That is changing (cept sage/sorc still being easy).

It is pretty much the best pve class as well (dps) or will be in 1.2. It DOES suck until later levels though if you are going for the burst dmg tree. Dot tree is better at lower levels.

If you can handle hitting a ton of keys and want a challenge? Stick with hit. If you want a faceroll, easy ranged class? There are already two of them in the game. There doesn't need to be a third...

They're not bad, but they could be better. There's really no point to them. Other classes can do your job and more. I still enjoy playing my GS.

Take Sentinels for example. You can do the same amount of dps, better mobility/survivability, and can even heal.

Edited by HeavensTerror

Snipers are not bad at all. I always thought of writing a huge MM tutorial but never got around to it. They're extremely challenging to play but if played well it can be very rewarding. The best part... not a lot of players play snipers well so we're well hidden from the nerf bat.

To the above comments about marauders... I don't think so. If there's one class thats even more hidden from nerfs but imo extremely OP, are the marauders. I honestly thought assassins and marauders were the strongest classes when everyone else were QQing about sorcs and mercs.

Edited by uQQme

They're not bad, but they could be better. There's really no point to them. Other classes can do your job and more. I still enjoy playing my GS.

Take Sentinels for example. You can do the same amount of dps, better mobility/survivability, and can even heal.

Well there are no classes that have the same package as snipers.

We have range and cc that marauders do not have.

We have interrupts that mercs do not have

We have a root that doesn't give resolve, along with other CCs.

We have THE HIGHEST ranged burst damage.

All that, and our class has orbital strike, one of the most sought after skill in the entire game, by all classes.

While I agree that this package doesn't really fit well in 1 vs 1s, we're great in teams.

Edited by uQQme

Snipers are not bad at all. I always thought of writing a huge MM tutorial but never got around to it. They're extremely challenging to play but if played well it can be very rewarding. The best part... not a lot of players play snipers well so we're well hidden from the nerf bat.

To the above comments about marauders... I don't think so. If there's one class thats even more hidden from nerfs but imo extremely OP, are the marauders. I honestly thought assassins and marauders were the strongest classes when everyone else were QQing about sorcs and mercs.

What about the lethality spec?I really liked the mobility of this spec

Snipers are sooo good I'm a lvl 21 sniper right now and the burst is amazing. you destroy sorcs because of there light armor and you can just knock back and root sents/mauraders all day and destroy them. Just play smart know where you are and stay back we have a range of 35 Meters for a reason

I tend to do quite well in PvP. However, that may be because I actually focus on the objectives rather than sit around and go for kills. I've went engineering for PvP, main for mobility, and it works quite well.

Snipers aren't bad, players are. This can't be said for other classes though, Snipers just have a learning curve.

Snipers are hell fun, unless someone is gunning for you. If its an op or a sin pretty kiss any fun wz goodbye but know that you hacked someone off enough to make them chase you the whole wz.

however if you dont get someone gunning for you the burst is just stupid (MM Spec). nothing better than watching someone's health just disappear within a split second and seeing sexy 6k crits.

What about the lethality spec?I really liked the mobility of this spec

Lethality has very good burst. Cull alone can hit half of people's health. I am mostly leathlity up to cull and almost always tops the damage chart. I can easily kill any ball carrier if I catch him.

Plus, unlike MM, lethality is also good on heavy armor classes since some of our damage is internal.

I dissagree with almost ALL these post. I'm a valor 69 in full BM gear and sniper sucks *** in EVERY way you can think of. Snipers have the survive ability of a baby slug. While other classes of two or MORE ranged cc's we have none, and no, leg shot doesn't count for ****. They can cast at your or in most cases while they can't move they'll throw a HoT on themsleves or other heal. There is NO range advantage. Leg shot someone the split second they are in range and by the time it hits them they are well with in 30 meters, so no rnage advantage. No self healing in any way shape or form. The single biggest weakness is that damn cover. 4/5 of all your abilities require cover, cover means zero movement and in PvP MOVEMENT is above ALL else in importance. You get in a fire fight... they move 5 meters to the side, LOS is gone, you are nothing. Once your 10 secconds of bunker is used up they better be dead or you are. For the simple fact that you will be cc's before you cast anything else with such long cast times.

From looking at 1.2 notes I am very dissapointed in sniper adjustments. Looking at the adjustments they made I guess they are happy with where snipers are in pvp, I cna't comrehend that. You will not see snipers in any ranked premades, we are a liabilty and everyone knows that. I have a lvl 50 assasin now and I tell you what, if you think snipers are 'good' at pvp play another class, ANY class. I also have a 37 BH, 10 times more uselfull in pvp. Play another class in pvp and you will enjoy it SO much more. You'll have sprints, heals, cc's of all sorts on a single charater, leaps, pulls, various escapes, MOBILE knockbacks... the list goes on and on. Sniper has NONE of these key items. Better dps? SHOW me the numbers. Burst dps? LOL No more than anyone else. It's 'burst' because of long cast times but it is NO MORE. Channel lightning or 2.5 second Ambush, same damage only delivered over time in a different way that makes you THINK it's more. One the life goes down slow and steady the other all at once after a long period of nothing.

I play my BM sniper in pvp today after playing my no gear assasin for the last week and... I can't go back knowing how bad it really really is. Being literally man handled by every class out there and you just have to take it.

I like my sniper in pve and he is my main, but pvp no more.

some people reported that snipers has in fact 20-30% less dps than any other dps classes.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=380143

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=379645

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=380085

(all of those threads generally points towards the same thing, though)

my gunslinger can't do anything that my guardian/sage/trooper can't do it better aside from just one thing: incendiary grenade + voidstar doors, thats just about it.

I get what the last 2 posters say, but will point out that while cover can be seen as a detriment; I also find it as being what makes the class fun. Out of all the classes, it makes sniper have to be the most tactical and the abilities you use be the most deliberate.

That said, you are mitigated hard and people who realize you need cover to get off that "burst" outside of lethality know to knock you out of it or LOS until they can. Allowing crouch while rooted is a nice step, but I still think cover should be a little harder to be knocked out of.

Still, I think I would rather deal with the shortcomings and make my career killing bads in unranked than have them do anything to make cover completely unnecessary and undesired. Call me a masochist if you will.

Edited by Technohic

If you pvp alot sins and Ops will just farm you once they know you are good.They will just shut you down the whole game making you useless.

They trouble isn't the class its how good the counters to that class are.If you can stay under the radar its not bad but soon as you start leg shotting Ops and sins to help your team controll the meele you sir are done.

There's really only one question you need to answer about the Sniper before playing one.

Do you like the cover system?

If you do, the Sniper class will be a good choice. They are tough to kill 1v1 especially for Jedis and can cause some serious damage.

But their play-style is unique do to the cover system. You have to like it in order to enjoy the class.

Actually i'm playing as an assassin now and i'm really liking the class,I won't say i like it more than sniper even with the sniper mobility issue.The only problem is that i'm finding the IA story way better than the SI and that makes me sometimes go back to my sniper >.<

I main a sniper and can offer the following:

1. learning curve is large(many many situational abilities) other classes may fill up there hot keys but snipers seems to fill up the keys earlier.

2. PVE early on things are fairly easy. after drummond things get fairly hard till after main questline Taris. this is mostly due to companion order and placement relative to content. kailyo starts to fall behind in tank capacity around tat and doesn't really have a cost effective way to kit up her tank till hoth. with out an armortech or a cybertech handy tank secondary are just hard to come by for agents in general. Vector arrives at the tail end of the first act and just doesn't have much time before Lokin turns up. After Taris things are much simpler with lokin healing. smooth sailing to endgame.

3. flashpoints are kinda suck overall for snipers. Cover required for goodly chunk of powers makes certain encounters pretty annoying. any boss with powerful aoe mechanics are difficult to handle and still produce high dmg. pug group heal and charge tendency also hurts effectiveness

4. pvp is very hit and miss as a sniper. the level of skill to be moderately effective is fairly high. the skill cap is boarding on astronomical. get good and its beautiful but the climb there will be excruciatingly painful at times. countering a sniper is unfortunately quite a bit less learning(some classes will pick up the skills without ever seeing pvp. im looking at you jedi knight, and trooper)

my 2 centacreds

I understand both sides of the fence.

Firstly, I'm a lethality sniper. Seriously sick dps if you know what you're doing but it takes a *long* time to get used to the appropriate combo to avoid getting major energy management issues. Also, you really don't spend a huge amount of time in cover in this build, sure you want some...but it's not where the majority of your dps comes from.

As I'm only valor 59 I can't be the be-all-end-all in PvP, but even as such when competing against everyone else for the WZ dps charts I am *always* top 3-4, usually top 2.

As to utility, sure I moan about how ****** our utility is compared to others in the game for PvP...but we have got: Leg Shot for a 0 resolve snare, Flashbangs - AoE stun, a decent cooldown on shield probe and cover pulse and that's just for starters.

Perhaps we don't have the leaps or what have you, but unless you've built your skills wrong the only thing I *regularly* complain about is the necessity to be in cover for our knockback (that just blows).

Lethality tree, being majority internal damage, tears through the tankiest of opponents. It's not an easy class to play, but they are by no means weak.

(also if you're waiting on a 2.5 sec ambush in marksman spec then you're playing the class wrong, take some time to work on your skill rotations)

Actually i'm playing as an assassin now and i'm really liking the class,I won't say i like it more than sniper even with the sniper mobility issue.The only problem is that i'm finding the IA story way better than the SI and that makes me sometimes go back to my sniper >.<

My first 50 was an asssassin, but now Im loving my sniper. I dont like playing lethality, cause it takes away the 'sniper' feeling, but doesnt matter to me since I still beat lethality in meters, except in voidstar. I just love 4k-5k ambush, 3k followthrough, and 2.5 snipe.

The biggest advantage UNIQUE to snipers is that you cannot shut down their damage like you can with other classes. You can only LOS them.

What I mean - say the ball carrier at low hp needs to cross the last 20 meters. Or a healer needs to heal someone. Or your team is trying to plant the bomb. There are all times when people NEED to be in position - they can't use LOS to block off sniper damage.

With all other classes, you can stop their damage through either stuns or interrupts or knockbacks. Melee on your ball carrier? Use AOE knockback to clear them out. Sorceror spamming lightning at you? Interrupt his cast and lock it out. Merc spamming tracers at you? Interrupt his cast and lock it out. No interrupts available? Just stun them.

Snipers.... when they need something dead... deploy their 20 second CC immunity cooldown and +20% damage resistance AOE shield and go... tough luck, I'm here, and I'm going to burst you down, and the only thing you can do is run.

Everyone talks about LOSing snipers, but if the enemy ball carrier doesn't run into the goal area and instead runs away from my goal I"m cool with that. If the enemy team abandons defusing the bomb and instead runs away I'm cool with that. I win.

For objective based combat, this is the advantage that snipers have - the ability to put down damage that cannot be stopped. If all you're doing is putzing around the middle and randomly shooting people who have the luxury of going behind walls to LOS you I'd argue that neither you or the enemy were doing anything useful anyway.

---

As for sniper damage, it's pretty comparable to other classes. I've landed 6.5k ambushes and 5k explosive probes. Orbital Strike can crit for over 5k per pulse in Engineering spec, yes you can get the medal with that. With an over 40% crit rate, you can absolutely destroy light and medium armour with just ambush+explosiveprobe+sos+takedown regardless of spec. And you go and take out heavy armor with cull... fully critted culls can do 9k.

Snipers are stupid. 90% of them can only sit on a ramp and pick off targets that are already engaged. What fun is that? I always marvel at someone who stays with a sniper for longer than 2 weeks, because I would be bored to tears.

As an Anni Marauder, If I feel like killing a Sniper, its dead. As an Immortal Jugg, well, I have a longer fight but still ends the same.

Snipers are more annoying than scary.

Edited by AGSThomas