Roadmap: Galactic Starfighter skirmish matches

Stellarcrusade

From the roadmap for update 5.10: PVP Challenge System - Create custom warzone, arena, and Galactic Starfighter skirmish matches and track your record against other guilds

When I first read this, I was very excited/happy, then realized it is somewhat vague. But in the roadmap it mentions that we should discuss/provide feedback what we would like to see for planned items.

What I was hoping this would be when I read it, I would love if there was a sort of GUILD DUEL feature. Meaning guild mates could run two guild teams against each other 1v1 and 2v2 or any other combination, where guildies could practice wars against each other. Of course these wars would not give any credit towards weeklies or conquest, but just like a duel in ground PvP give very good ways for people to get better and have nice fun guild events. This is something that has been lacking with GSF forever.

Guild versus guild record itself doesn't interest me at all. I'm guessing the guild with all the uber aces would like this, but they are used to winning 100% of wars anyhow so not sure a stat displaying 100 would really be of value. I would not be opposed to a guild versus guild challenge as long as you get to pick similarly equipped guilds.

What would everyone else like to see with this new vague proposed addition, what you hope they mean, and the possible idea of guild duels? We love that the attention to updates continues to include GSF.

What I think it isn't:

Custom match lobby, for either ground or GSF pvp

What I think it will be:

A prospective tracking system. Guild Leader Mary-Jane will challenge Guild Leader Gwen. They will specify the terms of the challenge, maybe the first team to get to 20 GSF battle wins, or the guild with more wins out of 20 games, or the guild who has the most wins by next Tuesday server reset 7 am ET, or the next daily reset. I specifically doubt it will require every qualifying match to have one team with members from Mary Jane's guild against a team that includes members from Gwen's guild, or the match wouldn't count.

This would allow guild members with very different playtimes to contribute to their guild's challenge, without requiring everyone to play on the same team versus a team of the opposite guild each match.

Think of it like Conquest, except you actually specify which guild you are going to compete against and which in game activities will be objectives.

While roadmaps need to be taken with a grain of salt, this one seems pretty great for GSF.

1)- A number of enhancements to GSF. This is vague, but it means that something or some things will be enhanced. Probably a good thing! Certainly better than the summer (and fall, winter, spring, summer, fall, winter, spring, summer, fall, and winter) of discontent a few years ago.

2)- "PVP Challenge System - Create custom warzone, arena, and Galactic Starfighter skirmish matches and track your record against other guilds"

There is NO OTHER WAY TO READ THIS except that Galactic Starfighter skirmish matches are planned in some form. If this is on the agenda, we ultimately will have some type of custom lobby, even if there are some restrictions on it. Assuming this doesn't come with any changes to normal play, this will be a huge boost to GSF. Because arena and warzone are listed here, there will be some manner of UI to make this happen- a GUI most likely- and it will definitely need to be reasonably featureful. The most barebones thing would be to insist that two guilds form 12 man ops and the GUI can place them against each other, ranging from being able to set up a 1v1, 2v2, 4v0, whatever, without guild-based restrictions. Who knows what they have in mind, or how far along they are. Probably worth discussing that and putting in requests to be considered though.

What I think it isn't:

Custom match lobby, for either ground or GSF pvp

I disagree completely. They literally use the term "skirmish". That means at least two groups fighting by any manner. Nothing about this phrasing or placement involves it being anything else, except for the possibility that both groups in question might be restricted by guild (ex, it may be guild versus guild only).

They will specify the terms of the challenge, maybe the first team to get to 20 GSF battle wins, or the guild with more wins out of 20 games, or the guild who has the most wins by next Tuesday server reset 7 am ET, or the next daily reset.

None of this is a skirmish.

Also, there's basically a whole bunch of reasonably custom ground pvp stuff in the form of the new Rishi stronghold. It very much sounds like they are trying to support that with the GUI.

Again, they could fail to deliver this for any number of reasons- but this is basically a custom lobby that we have begged for, in at least some fashion- possibly restricted by guild.

Think of it like Conquest, except you actually specify which guild you are going to compete against and which in game activities will be objectives.

None of this would be a skirmish though.

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like the dream came true:

The Devs (Musco and Charles) just confirmed 4+ v 4+ custom GSF matches.

They won't count towards any rewards other than guild vs guild competition. So, I'm assuming no:

• Command Experience Points
  • unassembled components
  • ship requisition
  • fleet requisition
  • credits
  • experience points
  • fleet commendations

Well, it looks like the dream came true:

The Devs (Musco and Charles) just confirmed 4+ v 4+ custom GSF matches.

They won't count towards any rewards other than guild vs guild competition. So, I'm assuming no:

• Command Experience Points
  • unassembled components
  • ship requisition
  • fleet requisition
  • credits
  • experience points
  • fleet commendations

Wow that is so exciting!

I haven't been able to find anything saying that GSF specifically is 4+ vs 4+ instead of the 2v2 minimum it says in the graphic. Is that something they said on the stream?

Wow that is so exciting!

I haven't been able to find anything saying that GSF specifically is 4+ vs 4+ instead of the 2v2 minimum it says in the graphic. Is that something they said on the stream?

No, I misstyped and you got me before I had a chance to edit.

I'm hoping this will be a good way for us old-timers to help newcomers train against live targets, since the training mode leaves rather a lot to be desired.

Just hoping this won't be restricted to only guild-mates forming one team. - Since I'm the only one in my guild that flies GSF.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I'm hoping this will be a good way for us old-timers to help newcomers train against live targets, since the training mode leaves rather a lot to be desired.

Just hoping this won't be restricted to only guild-mates forming one team. - Since I'm the only one in my guild that flies GSF.

We know for sure you'll be able to challenge other groups, they don't need to be in a guild.

I also can't wait to start using this as a teaching tool, it's going to be so much easier to teach new players this way.