An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Telekinesis

Aurbere

"I've become more powerful than any Jedi. Even you."- Count Dooku

Our study of telekinesis will involve a recording by Count Dooku in the Asli Krimsan Holocron. This recording discusses Count Dooku's encounter with Master Yoda and a lesson in Telekinesis.

I was just over seven years old on the day I crossed paths with him at a garden in the Temple, a research laboratory for the Jedi Agricultural Corps. I found him on a stone path, standing beside a potted long-stemmed plant that had broad, translucent yellow leaves. He gazed up at the delicate leaves, and told me the plant was alien, very rare, the only one of its kind on Coruscant. He said some service droids had left the plant on the path, and he wondered if I might move it onto a nearby patch of grass. I bent to pick up the ceramic pot, but before my fingers touched it, Master Yoda encouraged me to use the Force.

Every Jedi learner is trained to move objects, and I had already proved some capability with the skill. I stepped back to examine the rounded shape of the pot and sensed the air around it, then allowed my mind to lock onto the pot. I attempted to visualize it rising from the path, but the pot merely shifted, sc****** the surface of the stone that it continued to rest upon.

Collecting myself, I focused on the pot's base, confirmed that it was not vacuum-locked to the path, then pushed upward. The pot wobbled, causing the plant's leaves to tremble. Using the Force, I touched the leaves and calmed them, and it was then that I felt the plant's own life energy, something a tractor beam could never do. It had been my error to think of the plant as an inanimate object, rather than something linked to the Force itself.

I extended my hold and visualized the pot within a column that extended from the garden floor to the ceiling. Finding myself short of breath, I inhaled, then slowly, slowly, I lifted the pot until it hovered a full meter above the path.

I guided the plant through the air and lowered it upon the grass. Although I'd meant for a soft landing, I was surprised when the pot sank a few millimeters into the ground, the base tearing the blades of grass.

Master Yoda then said, "Incredibly dense alien soil, that plant can only survive in. Very heavy, the pot is. Neglected to tell you this I did. No matter. The path it blocked no longer." Then he looked me in the eye and said, "Why our paths crossed today, I wonder?"

The lesson that I learned from Master Yoda was that burdens are only as heavy as one imagines, and that - with the Force - any weight can be lifted.

The first thing a young Jedi learns is how to move an object with the Force. Usually a small rock ushers the young Jedi into a larger world. The ability to move objects is limited only by the mind and the energy one can muster to do so. Count Dooku referred to the movement of objects like a tractor beam, but would discount this idea after the event in the garden.

Powerful Telekinetics are capable of moving objects without looking at them. A talent shown by Jedi Master Plo Koon and Sith Lord Darth Vader. "Heavier" objects require more energy to move, but the principles of movement remain the same. A small object is no different, only different in your mind*.

Telekinesis involves more than simply moving an object. Jedi and Sith use telekinesis to push, pull, lift, or redirect objects. Jedi and Sith pilots also use telekinesis to direct their personal starships in combat. Darth Vader's Sith apprentice, codenamed Starkiller, was capable of moving a Star Destroyer. He didn't pick up the Star Destroyer, but was capable of impacting it's path with Force.

Telekinesis is a trademark of the Jedi, a power used in all aspects of life, not just combat.

*Who said that?

I hope you all enjoyed our look at Telekinesis. Next we look at the powers of Healing. Our guide on this subject will be Jedi Master Cilghal.

If you have a topic you want to see in the future, post them below of PM me.

I always thought that the way in which people use the force is very odd. I always wondered: If the Jedi/Sith are moving these objects with their minds, then why do they even need to hold their hand(s) out as if they're gripping or pushing the objects with their hands?

I always thought this was a wierd quirk or error with Star Wars. Is it ever actually explained why they need to use their hands at all?

My theory is that the Jedi use their hand(s) ONLY to help themselves imagine what it is they're doing. Does that make any since? Since it's all in their heads wouldn't it make since that they used their hands only to allow them to better visualize what it is that they're force pushing? It's just a theory. Does anyone else think so?

Interesting read Aurbere. :)

I always thought that the way in which people use the force is very odd. I always wondered: If the Jedi/Sith are moving these objects with their minds, then why do they even need to hold their hand(s) out as if they're gripping or pushing the objects with their hands?

I always thought this was a wierd quirk or error with Star Wars. Is it ever actually explained why they need to use their hands at all?

My theory is that the Jedi use their hand(s) ONLY to help themselves imagine what it is they're doing. Does that make any since? Since it's all in their heads wouldn't it make since that they used their hands only to allow them to better visualize what it is that they're force pushing? It's just a theory. Does anyone else think so?

Interesting read Aurbere. :)

I don't know if that is actually answered, but I have been thinking the same. I think when they stretch their hands out, they visualize the Force reaching out as well. Like tendrils wrapping around an object.

I don't know if that is actually answered, but I have been thinking the same. I think when they stretch their hands out, they visualize the Force reaching out as well. Like tendrils wrapping around an object.

Seems most likely, seeing as not all force users use their hands - helps to visualize, but masters of the power can do it without using their hands. Kreia for example levitated and controlled the lightsabers without raising her hands, on the topic of kreia, seeing as you are doing healing next - do you know anything about dark healing? According to Wookiepedia 'dark healing' is what she used to kill all those sith assassins when she arrived on Malachor, but it doesn't have any other info on it, not sure if they just made this up or what.

Seems most likely, seeing as not all force users use their hands - helps to visualize, but masters of the power can do it without using their hands. Kreia for example levitated and controlled the lightsabers without raising her hands, on the topic of kreia, seeing as you are doing healing next - do you know anything about dark healing? According to Wookiepedia 'dark healing' is what she used to kill all those sith assassins when she arrived on Malachor, but it doesn't have any other info on it, not sure if they just made this up or what.

I don't really know much about Dark Healing right now, but I plan on addressing that in the healing thread. I'll have to do some research on it first.

I don't really know much about Dark Healing right now, but I plan on addressing that in the healing thread. I'll have to do some research on it first.

You might want to look in on Cade Skywalker, he had a very effective ability called "Dark Transfer" that allowed him to use the Dark Side to heal some very serious wounds.