New to mmo's

RutgerS

Be nice, don't assume anything about anyone, don't believe everything you read and have fun.

Learn what you can about aggro, mobs, tanks, healers and dps.

Try to avoid stealing resources / mobs from players if their intentions are clear.

Never be afraid to ask!

Take a look at the SW:TOR for Noobs thread that I created earlier for a quickstart. Don't be afraid to ask questions or identify yourself as new to MMO's or this game as "most" folks will tend to be helpful. When in doubt ask.

Remember also, that we are all new to this game, so don't be embarrassed.

Well, i'm new to mmo's, so does anyone have advice for a newbie in the genre?

Welcome to MMO's, RutgerS. Once you go MMO, you never go back...

If you're looking for some general references The Holonet, under Game Info, on this site is a great information tool. Also, some 3rd party websites that are credible and informative are:

Torhead

Darth Hater

Enjoy and feel free to ask. Most people on here will help answer your general/detailed questions. Don't hesitate to search around for the answer before hand, though. Also, read as many threads as you can when bored...often there's some great information within them.

Good luck!

First rule for MMOs... stay off of the official forums. Your blood pressure may thank you for it.

Second, it is only a game. Turn it off every now and again.

Third, find a group of like minded folks and stay on their forums.

Lastly, Have fun.

Grouping Tip: Since you are new, be upfront about being new. Most people will try and help you/give you tips while you are doing something you have never done before. If you stay quiet, they will assume you are just a horrible player instead of just being inexperienced.

Never shout at your tank or healer - They're probably much better than you think!

Really? I mean I agree that you shouldn't shout at them but not for that reason. I just don't think that you should shout at anyone. Besides if they really are good they can easily get you killed.

The first thing is that MMO's can be very addictive, so be careful. Especially when the game is really good, its hard to log out.

The second is that, if you need help, just ask on the in game chat or check the forums. You can also try googling it since alot of website usually exist for these games and someone else has probably asked your question already, found the answer and posted it somewhere.

The third, alot of people can be total jerk's on these games. Try to ignore them and make liberal use of the /ignore feature that most games have. Come to think of it, I'm not sure this game does, but it probably does. Will have to check on login.

Fourth, not everyone plays the same way. If you like PvP (player vs player) the best, then you really should log on to a PvP server. If you like PvE (player vs environment/questing) the best, then you should log onto a PvE server. If you like Role Playing the best (think dungeons and dragons tabletop type of gaming), where you take on a character persona, then choose an RP server.

Things like how to play is something you will learn in time. Remember to ask questions. Most people are quite willing to help. If you get an unhelpful or trolling answer, try to ignore it.

Edited by moiraesfate