Is Nova Dive even worth investing in

Nazarovis

Is this a ship just to get your ship reqs up when you're a beginner?

Doesn't seem too viable against flashfire equivalents or higher tier anything.

Am I wasting my time on this ship?

Do I get my ship req to 5000, get a gunship or bomber and use that from then on?

No ship is worthless, okay there is a case to be made about the T2 Gunships but even those can be deadly with the right build and pilot.

Have you checked Stasie's guide?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222

It's pretty much required reading for new pilots, the T1 Scouts are great burst damage.

It does come with the Rapide Fire Laser trap, those are the worse lasers in the game, chnage them for Light Lasers and you'll see a huge improvement.

Do I get my ship req to 5000, get a gunship or bomber and use that from then on?

In most cases, it is not worth spending time on the NovaDrive. Unless you are making full and impactful use of one of the NovaDrive's unique components (EMP Field, Sensor Beacon, or Shield to Engine Converter), you are flying a weaker version of something you could duplicate with a Flashfire. And the Flashfire, by nature of trading Sensors for a Reactor, is objectively more durable. Not to mention it having access to Burst Laser Cannons, Quad Lasers, Blaster Overcharge, and Cluster Missiles. Remember that both the NovaDrive and the Flashfire have the same base stats--the entirety of their differences comes from their components. So any claim that the NovaDrive can achieve good burst damage is true of an identical Flashfire build.

I am not saying the NovaDrive is worthless. In fact, it is my go-to ship in competitive TDM against other aces--but only because I have crafted a particular build for that specific gametype and situation, which requires unique features of the NovaDrive.

But for the average player, the NovaDrive is a giant trap.

If you have 5000 fleet req to spend, I highly suggest getting a Condor. It has more viable builds and play styles than any other ship. It can be a sniper, a missile spamming dogfighter, a Bomber killer... you don't even have to use a rail gun on it. It is difficult to build a bad one (though some builds are better than others).

Alternatively, if you are more interested in team support, you should look into a Spearpoint (if you like Scout speed) or a Clarion (if you want to be a nigh-unkillable tank/healer). The Clarion also is one of the best looking ships in the game, as it greatly resembles an X-wing or ARC170.

Any of the Bombers are also good, but you will get a LOT of aggro. Same with a Quarrel.

Whatever you do, do not buy a Comet Breaker.

Edited by Nemarus

Oh yeah, one last thing there is no such thing as "tiers" when it comes to ships in GSF, the "T" stands for Type.

For example the type 1 Gunship is superior to the type 2 and the type 3 is a hybrid ship.

The type 1 scout when used with EMP Pulse gains a 3rd missile break (only ship with 3) and can cripple an enemy ace.

The type 2 scout *is*, however, very powerful and at the moment the only ship that is considered "OP" by pretty much everyone.

Though jumping into one won't make you an ace by virtue of piloting it, all ships require skill to fly.

GSF has 2 modes: dominion and team death match.

For dominion having a T1 bomber (aka boy bomber or minelayer) is never a bad thing, if you have 5K reqs laying around getting one and a T1 GS if you don't have one won't be wasted and will give you a taste for all ship types, just my 2 creds.

The Novadive's stock weapon loadout is not the greatest. Even with an optimal build, the weapons on the Novadive are not among the easiest to use effectively.

If you master a good build and put in the flying time to become a great pilot though, the Novadive is easily as deadly as a Flashfire.

If they dial back Flashfire damage by tuning components that the Novadive also uses this may not remain the case in the future.

So, yes at present, the Novadive is worth investing in. Just be aware that you're not going to see a return on that investment for a very long time compared to a lot of other ships.

I'd also say that the Novadive's weaknesses make it a bit more important to think and be creative in taking advantage of its strengths if you want to do as well in it as you would in something like a Flashfire.

If type one gunships and type 2 scouts are the escalators to the pinnacle of GSF performance, the Novadive is in the, "recommended for experienced hikers," class. At least it's not a Cometbreaker/Dustmaker though, those are posted as, "trail closed due to hazardous conditions." You can get to the top of the mountain in many ways, but some ways are not that much fun for all people.

Edited by Ramalina

Like... the Novadive is a great ship.

With THAT link out of the way- and the mods absolutely need to sticky that thing...

The type 1 scout is ABSOLUTELY the most mobile ship in the game. Back before the devs nerfed DO, Drakolich had a version that scoop every Damage Overcharge and simply burst people down. It's the best at running, and very good at hit and running.

The type 2 scout is generally better, but that's not an issue with the novadive.

The novadive has several effective builds. You can build lasers and pods and basically be a flashfire with lower dps, and that's a fine build, but the ship really shines when using its many components that only IT has.

Shield to Engine means you can boost forever. This gives the ship two ways to do this- booster recharge being the other one. Giving up distortion sounds bad, but remember, you just are always boosting. No other ship can come close to this.

EMP field is a strong component that only this ship has. Destroying mines and locking out systems + engines means you can be effective at clearing a node while also being able to fly into melee range on a gunship or other evasive target and disable their engine, allowing your lock-on missile to fly (or your allies). Alternatively, talenting it to disable systems + shields means that a bomber struck with it can't press charged plating, and no one can distortion field either.

Targeting Telemetry is generally considered a best in slot component, mostly even with blaster overcharge. This allows you to absolutely score kills, and stacks very well with rocket pods. Certainly a type 2 could do this, however.

EDIT: Originally I had this incorrect gem:

Power Dive, not available to the type 2 scout, gives you an amazing missile break on a very short timer.

But like, powerdive is on the flashfire as well. I guess since forever?

/ed

Sab probe is an interesting combo with EMP field. Mostly this build is not considered effective because of the cooldown reliance, but it is still powerful. A sab probe pretty much ends a target normally.

Thermite, not available to a type 2 scout, is more suited for a running based playstyle where you flee from danger and threaten opponents with a missile tone, boost towards them, release close, and engine component to escape. Thermite is very deadly.

Basically, if you look at all the scout builds, you can find some that the type 2 is better at- but you can also find some that ONLY the NovaDive has.

It's a good ship.

Edited by Verain

Novadive / Blackbolt is a ship with very good settings.

IMHO just as good as GS hunters like Flash. Slightly worse by the lasers, the combination of laser + Pods + TT + CF is just as deadly. Due to Engine Shield Converter often on opponents.

Better than Flash with Sabotage Probe. EMP field almost always leads to a safe hit with Sabotage Probe. Light laser then almost certainly lead to the ring death of the opponent.

Competition for Clarion with Thermite torpedoes. Here again, the EMP field lead to reliable results with significantly greater freedom of movement.

Very good as a satellite hunters at the beginning. With Barell Roll and Speed Thrusters on the satellite as fast as the Spearpoint. EMP field and Thermite torpedoes do a good job at the satellite defend.

EMP field is generally for the team a great help against the bomber a flash can not provide.

IMHO there is only one setting in which a flash of a nova is clearly superior: Dogfighting with burst laser and cluster.

Edited by Magira

Novadive / Blackbolt is a ship with very good settings.

Very good as a satellite hunters at the beginning. With Barell Roll and Speed Thrusters on the satellite as fast as the Spearpoint.

This is what I use mine for in DOM - Nothing beats getting points on the scoreboard before the other team trundle to the satellite. - Then tank/ harrass for a bit to draw them all in and boost to the other two sats that your team-mates have capped and have turrets up.

This and gunsheep hunting.

Scouts are great, and I think Novas can earn their place in your hangar.

I'll say again--if you aren't using Shield to Engine converter (which is awesome) or EMP Field, there is no reason to use NovaDrive instead of Flashfire.

If you aren´t using Burst Laser and Cluster (which are awesome), there is no Reason to use Flashfire instead of Novadive. Or Quarrel without railgun. Or, or ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Magira

I'll say again--if you aren't using Shield to Engine converter (which is awesome) or EMP Field, there is no reason to use NovaDrive instead of Flashfire.

Power Dive is available on the Flashfire as well.

I'll still disagree with the first, and correct my post on the second. I have no idea why I thought otherwise. This didn't get added later or something, did it?

If you are running lasers / pods / telem / disto / barrel, you will have a ship that, compared to the flashfire:

> Under ideal conditions deals a few percent less damage than the flashfire (quads are more damage than lasers)

> Under dogfighting conditions, has greater accuracy and stickiness

> Lacks large reactor

Is it fair to say that the flashfire is better than the novadive at this build? Sure. But it's not strictly better than.

The flashfire build that is probably generally best in game at dogfighting runs burst laser cannon and cluster missiles, and for sure the novadive can't do this, or be this scout. But he can be a lot of scouts that the flashfire can't, and I don't think you require shield to engine or EMP to make that worthwhile.

Seriously, have flashfires had power dive all this time?

Edited by Verain

Consider investing 5K of ship req into the shield to engine converter (tier 2 upgrade). Fly it around trying to get in a few hits on each ship with the lasers plus a couple pods (waiting for the kill will just expose you in a way that will not happen once you get everything upgraded). Focus your attention on achieving line of sight breaks and getting out of range of ships that target you. You will have seemingly infinite boost with this upgrade right up until someone shoots you. Try this style. It is unique to Novadive/Blackbolt and it is so much fun.

It was my main ship for a looong time, from GSF beginning till Clarion came. I have 3 days of flytime with my Nova.

Trick is simple, don't fight with people, instead shoot those who are fighting someone else.

Also, awesome at gunsheep killing.

Nemarus says that any (with that few exceptions) Nova build could be built on a Flashfire too, but I think it is safe to say that if you'd built a Flashfire like a Nova, you definitely aren't getting the best of it.

Nova is THE scout ship, with absurd mobility. Yes I count with taking S2E converter and/or engine recharge.

So to answer the basic question, yes, hell yes, it is worth investing in!

Nova is THE scout ship, with absurd mobility. Yes I count with taking S2E converter and/or engine recharge.

This is ONLY true if you use Shield to Engine Converter, which most people don't. Otherwise it has zero mobility advantage over a Flashfire. They have the same base speed, some base turning rate, and they both have the Thruster component. They both have Barrel Roll and Power Dive.

That's why I said if you don't use S2E or EMP Field, you are flying a build that could be duplicated on a Flashfire--with the added benefit of getting a Reactor instead of Sensors.

And on the topic of Sensors, they are really only useful if paired with Shield to Engine Converter. In that case, you can use Dampening Sensors to enable you to get off others' sensors more quickly--this, combined with the extended boost provided by S2E, lets you do true hit and fade. But again, that benefit is entirely dependent on using S2E, which most people don't even look at.

Too many people read the text description of the Nova/Blackbolt and assume it has some inherent quality that makes it the fastest ship. But it doesn't. All Scouts have the same base speed and mobility, and if you don't take the Shield to Engine converter, the Nova has no speed advantage. I want to make sure everyone, especially new players, understand that. Even in my own Guild, this false assumption keeps cropping up, and people continue to fly Blackbolt builds that could be duplicated better on a Sting.

Believe me, I love my Blackbolt with S2E and Dampening Sensors. It's my favorite ship. It's an amazing hit-and-fade fighter and is especially useful if you are a "known pilot" and get focused a lot, like I do. But that build requires experience to really shine. You have to know the maps, you have to understand sensor ranges, you have to know the boost capacity and ranges of various ships, and you have to know how to manage your own cooldowns and energy levels.

It is definitely not something I would recommend for new pilots who are not at high risk of being focused. They'll have a much easier time surviving and killing in a Flashfire/Sting or a different class entirely.

But more than anything, I want to kill the myth that the NovaDrive, regardless of component choices, is the "fastest recon Scout".

The blackbolt is my favorite scout. I go mass mass booster power on it, with laser cannon and pods. I'd agree it's probably a beginner's trap but once you learn how to fly well it's a fun ship to play and not hard to do well on.

It is definitely not something I would recommend for new pilots who are not at high risk of being focused. They'll have a much easier time surviving and killing in a Flashfire/Sting or a different class entirely.

I can not understand your Argumentation unfortunately.

Beginner-friendly are the settings with pods + (Quad) laser at both scouts. These do not differ significantly.

The Burst Laser Setting of the Flash is anything but beginner-friendly and requires high flying skills to get close enough to stay at the opponent. Otherwise burst lasers are not effective. Sting / Flash was the most difficult-to-master ship for me and I can do it for only a short time reasonably well play without me dizzy.

Edited by Magira

That's why I said if you don't use S2E or EMP Field, you are flying a build that could be duplicated on a Flashfire--with the added benefit of getting a Reactor instead of Sensors.

Nobody can ever call you wrong on this one, but thing is that if you would duplicate Nova build with a Flashfire, you would waste half of Flashfire's potential.

To me, while they could be built the same, they represent completely different playstyles:

Nova is best built as THE scout with the real ability to boost indefinitely. S2E, Engine Recharge, Quick-Charge Shield, or any combination of these make sure of that. Additionaly, you can only equip "lightweight" weaponry - Pods, LLC, LC.

Flashfire, while having access to some of above mentioned components, is better built as the dogfighter with Disto Field, Clusters, BLC, or Quads with Pods and TT or BO systems.

If anyone has access to Flashfire, there is no reason to count with them using LLC, Engine Recharge or Quick-Charge Shield. Sure they could, but since anyone has a Nova, they would better bring a Nova for these things and gear up their Flashfire for dogfighting like anyone else does. Not doing so would be like bringing Charged Plating on Sledgehammer. Because as we know, we can't swap components mid-fight, so if you can accomodate both Nova and Flash in your loadout, you can easily swap your strengths depending on situation. Which you obviously could not if you brought a Nova and a built-like-Nova Flashfire.

If anyone has access to Flashfire, there is no reason to count with them using LLC, Engine Recharge or Quick-Charge Shield. Sure they could, but since anyone has a Nova, they would better bring a Nova for these things and gear up their Flashfire for dogfighting like anyone else does. Not doing so would be like bringing Charged Plating on Sledgehammer. Because as we know, we can't swap components mid-fight, so if you can accomodate both Nova and Flash in your loadout, you can easily swap your strengths depending on situation. Which you obviously could not if you brought a Nova and a built-like-Nova Flashfire.

Scrab, the highest record setting Scout pilot, primarily ran a T2 Scout with TT, DF, Quads and Pods. He could've flown that configuration on a T1, except that he'd trade Quads for MLC's (not a big change) and he'd trade a Reactor for a Sensor.

The Flashfire has a couple of viable builds, since it has a wide variety of components that are effective. For a new pilot, it is more forgiving and less trappy. Sure, if you elect to go the BO/BLC/CM route on your T2, then you could use the T1 for a MLC/Pods build, and keep both in your readied bar for versatility.

But the OP wasn't asking about that--he was asking whether to keep focusing his time on the T1 or move to something else. And while I love the T1, I think the vast majority of pilots should explore other ship types before committing to the T1.

I view the T1 as the lightsaber of GSF. Elegant and deadly when expertly constructed and wielded with experience. But easy to use improperly, which can result in self-injury :p

That's not to say that a Flashfire, Clarion, Condor or Bomber are simple "point and shoot" weapons. But they do offer a wider variety of unique, viable builds and fewer traps to fall into. At the very least, they are more durable, which means more time to react to threats and (hopefully) less time respawning.

Once the fundamentals are strong, I totally think it's worthwhile for an experienced pilot to come back to the T1 Scout and make it work.

At the end of the day, all I want is for people to be honest with new pilots. Don't tell them, "The T1 is THE speed/mobility Scout!" without also making sure they understand what components are actually required in order to make that statement true. Especially when the T1's default loadout is so very far from that.

Edited by Nemarus

Scrab, the highest record setting Scout pilot, primarily ran a T2 Scout with TT, DF, Quads and Pods. He could've flown that configuration on a T1, except that he'd trade Quads for MLC's (not a big change) and he'd trade a Reactor for a Sensor.

The Flashfire has a couple of viable builds, since it has a wide variety of components that are effective. For a new pilot, it is more forgiving and less trappy. Sure, if you elect to go the BO/BLC/CM route on your T2, then you could use the T1 for a MLC/Pods build, and keep both in your readied bar for versatility.

But the OP wasn't asking about that--he was asking whether to keep focusing his time on the T1 or move to something else. And while I love the T1, I think the vast majority of pilots should explore other ship types before committing to the T1.

I view the T1 as the lightsaber of GSF. Elegant and deadly when expertly constructed and wielded with experience. But easy to use improperly, which can result in self-injury :p

That's not to say that a Flashfire, Clarion, Condor or Bomber are simple "point and shoot" weapons. But they do offer a wider variety of unique, viable builds and fewer traps to fall into. At the very least, they are more durable, which means more time to react to threats and (hopefully) less time respawning.

Once the fundamentals are strong, I totally think it's worthwhile for an experienced pilot to come back to the T1 Scout and make it work.

At the end of the day, all I want is for people to be honest with new pilots. Don't tell them, "The T1 is THE speed/mobility Scout!" without also making sure they understand what components are actually required in order to make that statement true. Especially when the T1's default loadout is so very far from that.

Same with any ship honestly The starting equipment on almost every ship is pretty bad. Clarion I am looking at you.

Edited by tunewalker

No ship is worthless, okay there is a case to be made about the T2 Gunships but even those can be deadly with the right build and pilot.

Have you checked Stasie's guide?

It's pretty much required reading for new pilots, the T1 Scouts are great burst damage.

It does come with the Rapide Fire Laser trap, those are the worse lasers in the game, chnage them for Light Lasers and you'll see a huge improvement.

It's not really the damage that's holding me back. It's the maneuverability and engine power that I can't compete against higher tier fighters

In most cases, it is not worth spending time on the NovaDrive. Unless you are making full and impactful use of one of the NovaDrive's unique components (EMP Field, Sensor Beacon, or Shield to Engine Converter), you are flying a weaker version of something you could duplicate with a Flashfire. And the Flashfire, by nature of trading Sensors for a Reactor, is objectively more durable. Not to mention it having access to Burst Laser Cannons, Quad Lasers, Blaster Overcharge, and Cluster Missiles. Remember that both the NovaDrive and the Flashfire have the same base stats--the entirety of their differences comes from their components. So any claim that the NovaDrive can achieve good burst damage is true of an identical Flashfire build.

I am not saying the NovaDrive is worthless. In fact, it is my go-to ship in competitive TDM against other aces--but only because I have crafted a particular build for that specific gametype and situation, which requires unique features of the NovaDrive.

But for the average player, the NovaDrive is a giant trap.

If you have 5000 fleet req to spend, I highly suggest getting a Condor. It has more viable builds and play styles than any other ship. It can be a sniper, a missile spamming dogfighter, a Bomber killer... you don't even have to use a rail gun on it. It is difficult to build a bad one (though some builds are better than others).

Alternatively, if you are more interested in team support, you should look into a Spearpoint (if you like Scout speed) or a Clarion (if you want to be a nigh-unkillable tank/healer). The Clarion also is one of the best looking ships in the game, as it greatly resembles an X-wing or ARC170.

Any of the Bombers are also good, but you will get a LOT of aggro. Same with a Quarrel.

Whatever you do, do not buy a Comet Breaker.

Thanks! I think I will go with the X-Wing look alike heh

I like the tank aspect. Nova feels just vulnerable with not so much maneuverability or sustained speed

Like... the Novadive is a great ship.

With THAT link out of the way- and the mods absolutely need to sticky that thing...

The type 1 scout is ABSOLUTELY the most mobile ship in the game. Back before the devs nerfed DO, Drakolich had a version that scoop every Damage Overcharge and simply burst people down. It's the best at running, and very good at hit and running.

The type 2 scout is generally better, but that's not an issue with the novadive.

The novadive has several effective builds. You can build lasers and pods and basically be a flashfire with lower dps, and that's a fine build, but the ship really shines when using its many components that only IT has.

Shield to Engine means you can boost forever. This gives the ship two ways to do this- booster recharge being the other one. Giving up distortion sounds bad, but remember, you just are always boosting. No other ship can come close to this.

EMP field is a strong component that only this ship has. Destroying mines and locking out systems + engines means you can be effective at clearing a node while also being able to fly into melee range on a gunship or other evasive target and disable their engine, allowing your lock-on missile to fly (or your allies). Alternatively, talenting it to disable systems + shields means that a bomber struck with it can't press charged plating, and no one can distortion field either.

Targeting Telemetry is generally considered a best in slot component, mostly even with blaster overcharge. This allows you to absolutely score kills, and stacks very well with rocket pods. Certainly a type 2 could do this, however.

EDIT: Originally I had this incorrect gem:

Power Dive, not available to the type 2 scout, gives you an amazing missile break on a very short timer.

But like, powerdive is on the flashfire as well. I guess since forever?

/ed

Sab probe is an interesting combo with EMP field. Mostly this build is not considered effective because of the cooldown reliance, but it is still powerful. A sab probe pretty much ends a target normally.

Thermite, not available to a type 2 scout, is more suited for a running based playstyle where you flee from danger and threaten opponents with a missile tone, boost towards them, release close, and engine component to escape. Thermite is very deadly.

Basically, if you look at all the scout builds, you can find some that the type 2 is better at- but you can also find some that ONLY the NovaDive has.

It's a good ship.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to have shield to engine boost. I was focusing on distortion mainly. I haven't even touched EMP...I guess I'll have to do more research