adaptive armour EXPLAIN!!!

grimshawsalex

i have seen adaptive armour from the cartel market on the GTN and i have a few questions:

what is adaptive armour?

does the cartel market rating (bronze silver gold) affect it?

does it matter witch peace i wear e.g. would it make a diffrence if i wear jedi adaptive armour instead of smuggler adaptive armour (im a gunslinger)?

whats the bonus over normal armour?

Adaptive armor is armor that automatically morphs into the best type of armor you can wear when you put it on. For example, if you're a character type that can wear heavy armor (like a trooper, bounty hunter, guardian or juggernaut), when you put adaptive armor on it will have the stats of heavy armor. If someone who could only wear medium armor put on that exact same set of armor, it would have the stats of medium armor.

The whole idea is to have sets of armor that can be used by any class. It can be a little ridiculous, with slave girl getup serving as "heavy armor", but the point is to give characters some cosmetic flexibility, rather than having to wear only outfits made for their class.

i have seen adaptive armour from the cartel market on the GTN and i have a few questions:

what is adaptive armour?

does the cartel market rating (bronze silver gold) affect it?

does it matter witch peace i wear e.g. would it make a diffrence if i wear jedi adaptive armour instead of smuggler adaptive armour (im a gunslinger)?

whats the bonus over normal armour?

1. armor that adaptives its armor scales to the highest u can wear.

2. no

3. if u can wear then no but most for types of classes are not adaptive but custom armor meaning they have a set armor level.

4. nothing, its just a look u are changing.

Should I get adaptive armour over regular armour then

Not sure what you mean by "regular". Adaptive is not necessarily better/worse than any other armor for a toon,

Adaptive was created so that if you wanted to wear a certain piece of gear because you liked the look of it, you wouldn't have to give up any performance. Originally the 'social gear' was always a light-weight gear, meaning the users who could wear medium or heavy gear would give up some performance. note: they likely simply made it light-weight so all users could wear it (heavy user can wear light, but light can't wear medium or heavy). After a lot of complaining, devs figured we could either made 3 versions of the same gear (annoying for players) or simply make it adaptive, meaning it picks up the light/medium/heavy capability of the wearer.

So it is a 'feature' to allow you to wear Social gear without loss of any performance, it is not better than anything else.

Adaptive Armor could be thought of as "Vanity Armor" in that you would wear it to look a certain way, like a dancer for instance.

Adaptive armor doesn't have stats of its own, but takes on the stats of the mods and armor put into it. Since it doesn't have any class restrictions, it'll accept any set of mods making it very versatile.

If you took the mods out of tionese and put them into some of the cartel store adaptive sets would the stats be the same? Is endgame armor based on just the mods you add?

The stats would be the same but you wouldnt get the set bonus till you buy the Black Hole/Rakata armouring for the respective slots.

• 1 month later...
I have lots of pieces of adaptive that I have left in my bank as the stats on blues and greens are better for my class. If i just re-mod it , will that bring it back up to speed??

I have the spymaster helm/chest and gloves and want them for my agent as they look amazing!

yes that's exactly how it works as long as you pick up enough commendations on your planets or have credits lying around to by armour, mods, enhancements, and potentially augments (if you added them to your gear) you could have you character with the same look all the way through the game from lvl 10 up.

just remember on the higher lvl gear, tionese, columi, rakkatta, etc the armour mod is tied to the slot, so you could pull the armour out of tionese stalkers helm and place it in a different head piece but you'll not be able to put it into a belt. so at the very highest lvls you may want to go with the unmoddable pieces for your bracers and belts

This is VERY good news, as this character ( my BH) is a Cybertech and can make mods and armours at rank 8 now, so with a bit more work, I should be able to fire these things out AND make them for my other toons!

One question further though: Do the stats provided by the mods show in the tooltip when comparing vs new drops?

Thankyou for all the help guys (and thanks to the original poster for making this thread! )

If you're wearing moddable armor and pick up another bit of armor that could replace it, then it will show you a comparison tooltip between the two so you can see how much better/worse the dropped armor is. If the drop is a mod that could go into your armor, then no it won't show you a comparison. You'll have to do that checking manually to see whether it would be an upgrade to any of your moddable gear.

This is VERY good news, as this character ( my BH) is a Cybertech and can make mods and armours at rank 8 now, so with a bit more work, I should be able to fire these things out AND make them for my other toons!

One question further though: Do the stats provided by the mods show in the tooltip when comparing vs new drops?

Thankyou for all the help guys (and thanks to the original poster for making this thread! )

Yes, the stats show, as total stats for the piece. If you want to compare a new mod to the current mod, you'll have to open your character sheet and look at the item.

Yes, the stats show, as total stats for the piece. If you want to compare a new mod to the current mod, you'll have to open your character sheet and look at the item.

Or check 'detailed tooltips' under the Preferences menu so that you can see the exact breakdown of your worn armour pieces and other armour pieces.

Or check 'detailed tooltips' under the Preferences menu so that you can see the exact breakdown of your worn armour pieces and other armour pieces.

You're right, it does... I guess I was thinking of when you look at just the modifying piece, like when you are offered a mod or armoring as a reward. :o

You're right, it does... I guess I was thinking of when you look at just the modifying piece, like when you are offered a mod or armoring as a reward. :o

Yeah - it would be nice if you could compare those, but think of how many little pop-up windows you'd get when you mouse over the mods *shudder* screen space plz.

Wait so, is it only usable once or will it, for example, level up with me. If i'm a low lvl will it lvl up every time i do and automatically pick the best gear stats for that level, or doesn't it only pick best stats once?

Wait so, is it only usable once or will it, for example, level up with me. If i'm a low lvl will it lvl up every time i do and automatically pick the best gear stats for that level, or doesn't it only pick best stats once?

What are you rambling about?

No, it does not "pick up the best gear stats" every time, and further more it does not "pick up the best gear stats" at all, not even once.

Seriously, it has been explained here many times over already what adaptive armor is, so no need to explain it all over again. Just read the other posts.

Ok, for the billionth time.

The only thing that makes adaptive armor "adaptive" is that it changes it's armor match the armor value of Light, Medium, or Heavy armor depending on the highest armor proficiency of the wearer. This adds different multiplier to the armor rating gained from the armoring you put inside it.

Normal custom armors are just fixed to one armor type, so light armor wearers can't even wear heavy at all and heavy armor wearers can wear light but gain only half as much armor than they would with heavy.

Other than that adaptive armor works exactly same as any modifiable custom armor.

They have no stats in them. All stats come from armoring, mod, and enhancement you put inside them. To keep the stats appropriate for level, you need to put new modifications into them every 2 levels.