Cylinders / Stances

Futurepat

As any spec other than shield - I'd stance dance in a case where I need to save a teammate with guard, I'm carrying the ball or otherwise playing more defensive.

Is this really a non-issue for other powertechs? You're comfortable not playing to a greater potential?

Maybe the cast time it is to discourage trying to DoT stack and gain multiple de/buffs. I don't know what benefits the lesser classes get from stance dancing except the tank buffs, so unable to compare. If they do get similar advantages from their stance changes then sure why the hell do we have to be stuck with cast time.

During Beta, Warriors would lose any rage they had accumulated by switching stances. I have yet to check this on my lowbie warrior alt but if it is the same then stance dancing is kind of pointless.

I also do not find the 1.5s cast to be prohibitive as a Powertech. Switching stances in the middle of a scrum is a waste of time and a GCD. If you need to protect a ball carrier you can toss a taunt or two out.

DoT stacking is a good point. This could easily be fixed by making the different cylinder effects from the same player overwrite each other. I'm not sure if switching between heal/dps cylinders could cause an issue for the Merc. At the very least, I think this should become a passive when choosing Powertech.

That is not the only difference. If you look at the other classes trees they get more much synergy from different trees than what we have.

We get many stance dependent skill talents and our core heath dissipation abilities are also tied to skill talents that are high on our trees and can't be used while on the "wrong" stance.

That is not the only difference. If you look at the other classes trees they get more much synergy from different trees than what we have.

We get many stance dependent skill talents and our core heath dissipation abilities are also tied to skill talents that are high on our trees and can't be used while on the "wrong" stance.

That would be the trade-off for going defensive in an offensive spec. Otherwise the mechanic would be OP.

The difference is that when we change stances, it does not cost anything in terms of our resource system.

On my assassin for example when I switch stances, it costs 40-50 force, this is what will prevent abuse of stance dance since switching to tank and then back to DPS pretty much depletes your force bar rendering you useless.

I can't recall on my Jugg but I do think you lose rage when you switch stances.

So since we dont generate heat when we change, they needed to offset it with a cast time, otherwise we would have been OP.

I do agree that there is a still a slight advantage to being able to stance dance "on the fly" especially when trying to play defensively and guard someone.