Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Operative Feedback

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
07.29.2019 , 02:14 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

If you are looking to get started on PTS, please check the Welcome to Phase 1.5 post, here. Please use this thread to share your thoughts on the Operative tactical items and set bonuses after getting your hands on them on PTS.

Be sure to be as specific as possible in your feedback!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

dracmor
07.31.2019 , 09:08 PM | #2
Hello, quick thoughts on Operative Healer:
  1. The only real PVE set bonus choice is the Tacticians Set. The Probe Tech Set combined with the two-set bonus of the Authority set comes close. But since I don't Parse it was hard to tell how much Probe Shield actually absorbed; also the range is too limited (only 5m, would prefer raid level range like 15m or more) and it was not clear if the skill Augmented Shields had an affect on all the shield probes. Without extended range and the bump in protection I don't see why anyone would choose this set over the Tactician. As for pvp, it's hard to imagine why anyone would not take double stuns. So meh on the variety of set bonus items.
  2. The new ability, though, does mesh well with the healer class, unlike the sorc's new ability. Well done.
  3. The tacticals are also well done, as a case could be made to use either Critical Surgery, Combat Medic, Diagnostic Probe, or Regenerative Waves. It's nice having a variety of useful tacticals.
  4. It would be nice for Diagnostic Probe that when the Kolto Injection was an insta-cast the ability box would highlight, otherwise I've found no other issues to report.
As always, just my two cents.
Thanks for listening!

sthmnky
07.31.2019 , 10:59 PM | #3
I do not main an operative healer and I am by no means a theory crafter...but I do use my Op heals a lot as a secondary healer. That said, I am very disappointed with the lack of set bonuses designed to enhance healing. Small buffs to healing from using an area attack...or shielding group mates with probe use is absolutely insufficient in my opinion. I will admit, some of the tacticals do look nice and afford some handy abilities, but they do not make up for the utter lack of healer focused set bonuses on armor. It's enough to make me want to never play the class if this is what they will receive in 6.0.

Edit: The above was a first blush response. after loading up gear and taking the op heal for a light test drive, I think I understand a little more what was trying to be accomplished. Many of the best bonuses to healing are actually on the Tactical items....making Kolto Infusion cast while moving, making Kolto Injection instacast on every third consecutive Surgical Probe, etc. In this manner, I see the intent to implement the "play your way vision" and create a more customizable gear layout. However....in our current set, we have three bonuses that directly affect healing output. In this test phase, the most relevant armor set is the Tacticians, which grants the ability to gain and extra tactical advantage and a 1% bonus to healing for having a tactical advantage. To me, this is just a "meh" bonus as I don't have any problems maintaining Tactical advantage stacks with our current gear set. The tacticians set combined with a tactical that provides ONE bonus that affects healing output (in one form or another) feels like we are actually losing some of the Op healers current effectiveness. In my opinion, an armor set bonus that directly grants a bonus to healing cooldowns or critical chances would be more desirable.
Average Brown Wookiee...

PrivateerArris
08.01.2019 , 02:18 AM | #4
Lethality oper still total useless except one tactical item and its sinergy with set bonus - Toxic Haze spread Lethal Strike.

PrivateerArris
08.01.2019 , 06:54 AM | #5
About lethality operative.

Tactical Items:

1. Synox Shots - Toxic Blast does 50% more damage. Useless. Suggestion - none. Its useless.

2. Catalyzed Toxins - Toxic Blast finishes all your poison effects on the target and deals their remaining damage immediately. Toxic Blast cooldown is extended by 9 second.

Useless in current view because of low dots damage (20k for both within 30 seconds - its just 2-3 standart rifle attacks) BUT it can be good single target tactical bonus.

Suggestion - make autocrit on dots or increase overall damage.

As example
Toxic Blast finishes all your poison effects on the target and deals 200% their remaining damage immediately . Toxic Blast cooldown is extended by 9 second.

Toxic Blast finishes all your poison effects on the target and deals autocrit their remaining damage immediately. Toxic Blast cooldown is extended by 9 second.

3. Viral Elements - Toxic Haze spreads Toxic Blast Effect and Lethal Strike does additional damage to all nearby targets affected by Toxic Haze.
Very good this one. Nice AOE burst and synergy with set of Authority and new Tactical Overdrive Skill. No need to change.

Set bonuses:
All useless except set of Authority last bonus

UltraFlashStar
08.01.2019 , 07:52 AM | #6
How much are you parsing with Cata-Toxin, though it changes up the rotation a lot I seem to keep constantly pulling 20-25k with a perfect rotation. While I seem to get 16k-22k with a normal Ruffian rotation.
Coppes Spacer
“Let me play you a sad song on the galaxy’s smallest xantha.”

Pizza_boy
08.01.2019 , 12:15 PM | #7
Medicine Feedback:

As a whole, I feel that (for better or for worse) not much has changed about the playstyle of op heals. I tested a lot of variations on the healing dummies yesterday, however, it is ultimately challenging to determine the strength of the spec without having access to non-scaled difficult content. Additionally, please note that this feedback is coming purely from a PVE mindset; I have not yet tested any tactical/set bonus that could potentially have use in PVP. Nonetheless, here are my findings thus far.

Tacticals:

1. Critical Surgery
When testing on the PVE dummy, this tactical seemed quite strong given that the dummies were sub 35% for a decent amount of time. However, in an operation setting, my fear is that this tactical will be overshadowed (mainly by regeneration waves) as the benefit of critical surgery is barely present compared to the other two tacticals, whose benefits are always active. In the majority of scenarios in an operation, players are barely sub 35% health, meaning that this tactical unfortunately doesn't have much use in most situations. My suggestion for this tactical would be to either raise the health range in which the tactical activates, or to straight up increase the critical chance of surgical probe by an amount to where this tactical could have a comparative advantage to the other tacticals in general healing scenarios.

2.Diagnostic Probe
While this tactical does not provide maximum output, its goal is clearly to attempt to provide operatives with opportunities to burst in certain scenarios. However, given that there currently isn't any challenging content to heal on the test server, I have unfortunately not had the opportunity to play with this utility as I hoped for. In theory, I could see it being useful on fights with a lot of burst/spike damage, but my fear is that even on those fights it may still overall be outshined by Regeneration Waves. One way that might further the benefit of this tactical is to increase the healing done by Kolto Injection for each stack of the tactical probe in addition to the reduction of it, furthering this tactical's strength of burst heal and making the tactical even more useful for burst scenarios. In all, I enjoy the concept behind the utility and like how it gives operatives an opportunity to be a little more bursty, however, without the opportunity to heal difficult content, I don't think I can give more feedback on this tactical than a SeemsGood for its purpose.

3. Regeneration Waves

So far, this seems like the go-to healing tactical for most scenarios. I find that it will yield maximum HPS in most scenarios while possessing the benefit of boosting AOE/pressure healing (the operative's speciality). Therefore, given the benefits of this tacical, I feel that it overshadows the need for the Critical Surgery nearly completely, only leaving Diagnostic Probe (potentially) for few specific scenarios.

Overall Tactical Thoughts:
I think each tactical is created to give the operative a different strength: Critical Surgery for certain pressure situations (for example I could see this CURRENTLY being good in PVP); Diagnostic Probe for burst; and Regeneration Waves for massive AOE. However, I think the biggest issue of the tacticals is that there is simply almost no use for Critical Surgery in its current iteration. If Critical Surgery is changed to change when surgical probes, and if Diagnostic Probe is slightly bufffed to increase the healing done by kolto injection per stack, I think all 3 operative tacticals will each have their own distinctive advantages to be used in different situations or for different playstyles.

Set Bonus

Again, speaking from a PVE perspective, the only operative set bonus that seems even slightly worthwhile is the Tacticians set. However, like almost every other spec in the game, the class-specific set bonus is worse than the general Berserker set. From the Berserker set, the operative gains a significant boost in HPS compared to the Tacticians set, and the extra TA from the Tacticians set is not nearly enough to compensate for the HPS loss. Consider buffing the Tactician's set to be more worthwhile for the class. Generally speaking though, it seems like almost every single set bonus in this update is garbage compared to Berserker, I think that, in general, set bonuses need to be relooked at significantly. Otherwise, literally, every single spec except tanks may end up wearing the same gear.
Laet
<Failure>

TeenageGnome
08.01.2019 , 12:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by PrivateerArris View Post

Tactical Items:

1. Synox Shots - Toxic Blast does 50% more damage. Useless. Suggestion - none. Its useless.
I haven't had a chance to test the changes yet but can you explain to me why this is useless?

Overall toxic blast does like 15% of your damage which is quite high considering your dots only do like ~22% of your total damage each. Therefore wouldn't buffing this number by 50% be quite a large dps increase?

memerobot
08.01.2019 , 12:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TeenageGnome View Post
I haven't had a chance to test the changes yet but can you explain to me why this is useless?

Overall toxic blast does like 15% of your damage which is quite high considering your dots only do like ~22% of your total damage each. Therefore wouldn't buffing this number by 50% be quite a large dps increase?
If you put it in current patch terms, you'd be making your Toxic blast tick for more 500 damage if non crit and more 1000 damage if crit.

It's not that much of a "buff". Only noticeable in PvE and even still, not that great.

memerobot
08.01.2019 , 12:35 PM | #10

Tactical Items:

If anything, 100% would be the right value. Or maybe I'm exaggerating but it does feel immensely underwhelming.

2. Catalyzed Toxins - Toxic Blast finishes all your poison effects on the target and deals their remaining damage immediately. Toxic Blast cooldown is extended by 9 second.

Useless in current view because of low dots damage (20k for both within 30 seconds - its just 2-3 standart rifle attacks) BUT it can be good single target tactical bonus.

Suggestion - make autocrit on dots or increase overall damage.

As example
Toxic Blast finishes all your poison effects on the target and deals 200% their remaining damage immediately . Toxic Blast cooldown is extended by 9 second.

Toxic Blast finishes all your poison effects on the target and deals autocrit their remaining damage immediately. Toxic Blast cooldown is extended by 9 second.

Turned out as I expected
They have to make it deal massive damage because its doing less about -10k damage than Corrosive Assault + 2 Dots + regular Toxic Blast on hit. And, if anything, it should be +20k compared to the usual attack that Leth does.
But they won't, so this tactical is basically going to acumulate dust in the vendors.

3. Viral Elements - Toxic Haze spreads Toxic Blast Effect and Lethal Strike does additional damage to all nearby targets affected by Toxic Haze.
Very good this one. Nice AOE burst and synergy with set of Authority and new Tactical Overdrive Skill. No need to change.
I'd prefer if they'd make Noxious knives insanely powerful while Toxic Haze is up, to give the same kind of AOE pressure like Virulence has honestly but I guess this is fine too.