Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will Server Transfers see a sale this summer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will Server Transfers see a sale this summer?

TrixxieTriss
07.19.2018 , 12:05 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Well.. I have at most 33 characters on any given server (though a couple dozen of them are at level cap). But honestly.. I found gearing of alts to be better in 5.0 than 4.0. In 4.0 I HAD to go grind for crystals or push the alts through high end group content for gear. It required more time and effort to gear alts in 4.0 compared to 5.0. Why? In 5.0, I simply put them all in crafted gear, and later upgraded their crafted gear as new sets come into crafting, even though the best crafted gear is kind of a waste of power for an alt that is not in competitive end game content. If anything, crafting as the path to gearing is a bit too rich in 5.0 in terms of what you can do with some materials and a reasonable amount of credits to gear your alts.

If they had released 5.0 with crafting in the poor state it was in when they released 4.0 (which was terrible until we got the 4.x crafting update) ... then I would agree with your assessment.
That’s the benefit of the old pvp gear. I could get my Alts fully geared within 1-2 weeks or less when they hit max lvl.

This new system is terrible for people trying to gear alts for pvp.

Jdast
07.19.2018 , 12:50 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
That’s the benefit of the old pvp gear. I could get my Alts fully geared within 1-2 weeks or less when they hit max lvl.

Trixxie,

I know we have disagreed on pretty much everything. And chalk this up to another case of that. You have blasted me for saying it is easy to gear alts because I have a lot of play time. Fair point since I went into semi-retirement and refused to work for a particular someone who currently resides in Washington, DC.

But...I find it difficult to take your criticisms of the current gearing system when you have 70 plus alts. I can understand or fathom 24 or so 'alts' -- as in you could have one of every class / subclass. Surely you understand, though, that some people would quit the moment they got BiS.

Not saying there is anything wrong with your playstyle, but I have a strong suspicion you are an outlier. FWIW, so am I. I have 48 characters (26 at level 70 including 4 who used datacrons, 16 at GC 300). Each faction with each subclass. My asking for all of them to easily gear up to BiS, though, is quixotically bizarre.

Dasty

Andryah
07.19.2018 , 01:01 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post

This statement leads me to believe that you treat every alt as a main.. and want/need them geared in the best of the best to PvP. That is fine if that is your chosen approach, but it is by no means needed for alts in 5.0, not even for PvP. And for someone who basically only PvPs.. I really do not get your need for the best of the best gear to play PvP, because you come across as good at what you do, skilled at what you do, and hence can overcome almost any gear advantage the average PvPer would present you with. The difference between top tier crafted and top tier GC gear is not that significant really.. so I am surprised to see you not accept the challenge of good skills > some modest gear advantage.

They removed expertise and kept bolster pretty well standard (if we ignore some early bugs) so other then bleeding edge ranked play.... crafted gear really is fine for PvP as well as PvE... unless you insist on being min/maxed. Min/maxers do exist and they do enjoy doing what they do and I have no axe to grind toward them .... but I don't agree with the concept that gearing needs to be tuned around the min/maxers. Some players insist on whatever gear advantage they feel they can carve out... no matter how small.. and that is their choice to make.. but with it comes the associated gearing burden.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.