need some serious help with my wireless connection!

Zimoji

Hey guys im having some serious problems with my wireless pc! im using a wire which is meant for my xbox at the moment and its quite annoying cause i want both :( lol :confused:

my wireless can connect to other networks but not mine!!? Just random peoples popping up? I look at my Railink wireless network card and it says its disconnected? i dont understand at all any computer wizards out there ?

My suggestion is to get a switch like D-Link

DGS-1008D 8 Ports GLAN Switch

(or the 5 port) which is very cheap and connect the cable to that and then connect the consol and computer to it.

Example: Router -> long run cable -> Switch -> Computer/Consol/Mediacenter etc.

Or whatever works for you. I'd rather jump out the window than play/stream/surf anything besides my phone and tablet, on a wireless connection.

Ugh, originally I had a decent wireless network. After awhile, I started noticing stupid amounts of lag. At first I thought it was hardware oriented, then I found out that my ping was all over the place. (15ms 1000ms back to 15 and everywhere inbetween) Rebooted my router, it worked better but eventually it came back. When resetting wasn't getting results, I did a speed test.

7mbps down/4 mbps up. Wow. Horrible. Thought it was my service, but I wasn't sure.

I eventually ditched my wifi card all together and went to Wal-Mart and bought 50ft of Cat5e cable. My ping is a steady 20-25ms and my speed is now a wonderful 31 down/23 up.

Probably not an option you're looking into, but I stand by ethernet over wifi at the moment.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone with wireless issues: Don't use wireless.

Seriously.

Granted, we're talking about a video game here, and not something critical like a hospital information system... But if you want reliability or performance, you don't want wireless.

Have you given any consideration that you may have picked up a virus? Beyond that, I would delete the wireless connection that got made at your GFs house, and then restart your computer. Laptops are funny when they have issues like that, I recommend you pull the battery out of your laptop any time you reset it to ensure that the memory dumps all the way. Incidentally, I had a similar issue after returning from a trip. I finally just restored the whole thing. It's happy now.

I dont want to switch? it was working fine before i went to my girlfriends for the weekend? I just dont understand why it is not connecting or even picking up my connection :(

Did you change something when you went to your girlfriends? Like use a network cable?

Make sure your have the wireless connection enabled.

Also it would help if you gave some info about your computer and router. Which OS are you running?

Edited by RickRedOne

Laptop or desktop?

If a laptop make sure your wifi card wasn't disabled either by pressing the FN key and the wifi key on your keyboard and on some computers there is a switch/button.

If it's a desktop with a wifi card in it make sure that card didn't get moved and slid out of the pci slot or the antenna if it's a card didn't get broken or unscrewed. If still a desktop but it's an internal wifi card with no exterior antennas it might have a disconnect button like the laptop.

It's hard to give you any help without knowing what your computer is and hardware your using. As for those who talk about reliability on wifi it's got a lot of factors that affect this. Things like distant from access point type of materials used in the construction of the home how many other wireless devices are in the same area and not to mention other wireless networks too.

Not to mention you might have picked up a virus also.

Im going to try and give all of you A lot of details! about what is happening i will try to describe the best i can! ^^

I play on a desktop! using a wireless connection i have something in my computer which is some kind of card? with a Antenna on it

And I THINK it used to glow green im not sure... When i got back from my girlfriends my dad said he borrowed my computer mouse for something? Could he have knocked my card out of place or what?

But I don't think that is the case because it still picks up random people connection just not mine?

when I plug in an Ethernet cable in it connects fine to my router! with my connection

And when I plugged an Ethernet cable in to my computer the card quickly glow green as well as my Ethernet cable

My little icon bottom right of wallpaper 'Ralink wireless LAN card disconnected' don't know what that means?

See what you can do with this information thanks Really appreciate it

I think from most responses here it could be a number of things, but from your last message if your wireless network card is flashing green, then it is receiving a signal from your router.

If the network card has been knocked out of its port slightly in side the computer you will still receive the occasional green light but it will say that the card is disconnected.

I think myself and others would say, if you prefer to work on wireless, open your computer and locate your wireless card. Remove it, then reconnect it and see if that resolves the issue. Alternatively move it to another free port in the event that its the port on the computer that is the issue.

Cheers

Fusy

Ugh, originally I had a decent wireless network. After awhile, I started noticing stupid amounts of lag. At first I thought it was hardware oriented, then I found out that my ping was all over the place. (15ms 1000ms back to 15 and everywhere inbetween) Rebooted my router, it worked better but eventually it came back. When resetting wasn't getting results, I did a speed test.

7mbps down/4 mbps up. Wow. Horrible. Thought it was my service, but I wasn't sure.

I eventually ditched my wifi card all together and went to Wal-Mart and bought 50ft of Cat5e cable. My ping is a steady 20-25ms and my speed is now a wonderful 31 down/23 up.

Probably not an option you're looking into, but I stand by ethernet over wifi at the moment.

Tehsaturn

You just might be my most favourite person lol Experiencing lately the exact same issues as you but i didnt think at the time to plug the Ethernet cable in to test that seperatley.. :D

Seems silly to forget it when your use to wireless lol

Im going to try and give all of you A lot of details! about what is happening i will try to describe the best i can! ^^

I play on a desktop! using a wireless connection i have something in my computer which is some kind of card? with a Antenna on it

And I THINK it used to glow green im not sure... When i got back from my girlfriends my dad said he borrowed my computer mouse for something? Could he have knocked my card out of place or what?

But I don't think that is the case because it still picks up random people connection just not mine?

when I plug in an Ethernet cable in it connects fine to my router! with my connection

And when I plugged an Ethernet cable in to my computer the card quickly glow green as well as my Ethernet cable

My little icon bottom right of wallpaper 'Ralink wireless LAN card disconnected' don't know what that means?

See what you can do with this information thanks Really appreciate it

You don't mention which OS (and version of OS) you are running but assuming you have Windows installed (probably XP, Vista or 7) try and find your way to the Network settings in the Control Panel. Somewhere in there you will find your Wireless Network interface icon. Right click the icon and you should have options like "Repair" or "Diagnose", try one of those and Windows will help you find what the problem is. You can also try and disable/enable the interface from there, that sometims clears up some problems.

Also, there should be an option to "Connect to a Network" or something like that. Select that and you should see a list of available Wireless networks to connect to. Find your network in the list and connect to it and make sure you choose it as your "default" network and tick "always connect to this network" if that is available.

Hope that helps.