Starwars Xmas Special LOL

Daygobag

:DI remember when i was younger seeing this Xmas Special. George Lucas hated it and wishes it never was put on TV.\

Released only ONCE in USA and Canada 1978 2 hour TV specal was made. Lucas HATED it.

But dam is it funny to watch now.

And lucky for us its on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz550T3QeAo

You will pee yourself watching it. LOL Its so bad its funny

Thankyou and have a goodtime watching:D:D:D

Wow. This brings back memories. I distinctly remember watching this on television when I was a kid (16). At the time we didn't think anything was wierd about it, and I remember enjoying it. It seemed quite normal to have a Christmas special with the Star Wars cast since Star Wars was massively popular. Nowadays it's a legend people whisper about in darkened rooms.

Some time later after it premiered, copies of the special were being sold in stores. I remember seeing it for sale on the new (at that time but they never took off) laser discs, Beta-Max and VHS. The stores were playing the show over and over.

I remember standing there in the store watching it over and over. This is the spell Star Wars had on all of us in the 70's. The high point, for me anyways, was the Jefferson Starship segment. It was really a music video, but MTV was a few years off and that term hadn't even been coined yet.

I always wondered what happened to the show, and only recently learned Geroge Lucas has forbidden it's showing commercially. I'm sure there are still some people out there who have copies that can still play. Wouldn't mind watching it again for old times sake. Probably would get a good laugh now though.

Edit: LOL yeah thanks for posting the link OP, didn't see it until now. Yeah this show was pretty bad...but at that time things were different.

Edited by Anareon

Another thing comes to mind about that decade. Variety shows - like the Star Wars Christmas special were hugely popular back then. If you were a has-been celebrity and needed a career boost or a paycheck you did a "special" one time variety show. Today they would invent a "reality" show to accomplish the same end. Or it is was a great way for the networks (all three of them) to promote new talent.

And of course there were many well established variety shows by popular celebrities, The Carol Burnett show being one of the best and most famous. So for that time period it was completly logical to premiere a cheap and fast variety show to promote a franchise or celebrity.

Another thing comes to mind about that decade. Variety shows - like the Star Wars Christmas special were hugely popular back then. If you were a has-been celebrity and needed a career boost or a paycheck you did a "special" one time variety show. Today they would invent a "reality" show to accomplish the same end. Or it is was a great way for the networks (all three of them) to promote new talent.

And of course there were many well established variety shows by popular celebrities, The Carol Burnett show being one of the best and most famous. So for that time period it was completly logical to premiere a cheap and fast variety show to promote a franchise or celebrity.

Yup, variety shows were huge. I remember the star wars xmas special as a kid of 9, i remember thinking it was great at the time and wondered why it wasn't on the next year as certain holiday shows back then were annual things. Wizard of oz was always on around thanksgiving, the grinch and the claymation rudolph shows were always on around xmas.

Honestly i thought those 2 ewok tv movies were way worse than the xmas special. The ewok adventure and the battle for endor. Surprised lucas never made a jarjar show as he seems to have a knack for taking things the fans hate the most and try and make it into something.

OMG I hate the cassette sound track for the christmas special, now you know how old I am:cool:. On a seperate note, any one remember the muppet show where Mark Hammel guest starred and save leia (miss piggy) from dirk nader (gonzo as darth)? That was all we talked about in school for 2 weeks after.