Sorc Madness viable in pvp? It seems really boring now.

TrixxieTriss

I haven’t played madness for a very long time, but I don’t remember it being so damn boring.

Ive a random Sorc Alt sitting around lvl44 and because I’ve already got 3 ling sorcs, I decide to switch this one to madness for a change.

Now I haven’t taken it into pvp yet because I wanted to get a feel for it. But GOD, Damn (can’t believe swtor spell check keeps making making God ***** into gosh darn) is it boring as hell in pve content, there are literally 5 or 6 bottoms to press and if you don’t have all your dots on one target, death field is pretty much useless (I don’t remember it being so weak).

Also, there are no mobility procs like ling sorcs and most of you time you are stuck hard casting. It feels so slow and boring. It also feels clunky as hell, and is it just my imagination or does it have less abilities to use in combat?

So how viable is it in pvp? I think less mobility than ling sorcs to kite would make them sitting ducks and easy to global. At least on my ling specs I can kite and always have something worth while to use.

I got so bored last night that I ended up switching the Alt to heals. Which I’ve never done in swtor before. So that’s going to be interesting :rolleyes:

Any tips on healing, what abilities do I use the most, what GUI set up do you use. I switched my tab target to tab friend and put a shift modify for tabbing the enemy.

When I used to heal in WoW, I had my GUI set so my group window was in the middle and I could click on it, but the swtor one doesn’t give enough visual information for me if I reduce the size and it’s too damn big to leave it as it is.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Well i cant give any endgame opinions because once i hit 75 i jumped to an alt to level, but i did WZs on my sorc from 70-75 playing madness and i enjoyed it, but ive always preferred that spec over lightning or heals, ive never bothered with trying to be the strongest class. I find that playing a supportive role is fun.

Well i cant give any endgame opinions because once i hit 75 i jumped to an alt to level, but i did WZs on my sorc from 70-75 playing madness and i enjoyed it, but ive always preferred that spec over lightning or heals, ive never bothered with trying to be the strongest class. I find that playing a supportive role is fun.

Last 3 years on my ling Sorc has all been support as it probably has for madness. As much I didnt like it, I’m used to it,

But don’t you find you get jumped more as a madness Sorc or have difficulty kiting and doing damage?

It wouldn’t be so bad if Force Lightning wasn’t such a big part of the rotation and you had some other things you could use while on the move besides dots that are still active on the target.

Maybe I’m just doing it wrong?

Last 3 years on my ling Sorc has all been support as it probably has for madness. As much I didnt like it, I’m used to it,

But don’t you find you get jumped more as a madness Sorc or have difficulty kiting and doing damage?

I get jumped just for being a sorc, not because i'm madness, but thats why i try to LOS.

I take the insta cast from cleanse, helps keep me mobile. I don't have an issue with doing damage but again, i was playing mids pvp, that game and my opinion could be different against geared players at 75.

I get jumped just for being a sorc, not because i'm madness, but thats why i try to LOS.

I take the insta cast from cleanse, helps keep me mobile. I don't have an issue with doing damage but again, i was playing mids pvp, that game and my opinion could be different against geared players at 75.

Do you only play Mids?

Do you only play Mids?

Since i came back a few weeks ago, yes. I'm not interested in the gear grind end game has to offer,life is too busy.

I'll probably spend what time i do have available to play during the next month or 2, playing mids on alts for the fun of it before i end my sub again. I just don't have the time or patience to get sucked into chasing gear anymore.

It literally feels like nothing has changed imo, I haven’t admittedly played at lvl 75 but I can’t see the tacticals and set bonuses plus that new ability making a drastic difference

Yeah, madness hasn't changed at all. I never found it boring. It's just now that lightning has some legitimate burst, about equal sustain (arguably better), and better survivability, there's little reason to play madness. Madness does cleave harder with slow mercy, but that's a niche thing.

I admittedly haven't played much pvp in 6.0 as I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I get serious. And the times when I have, it's been mostly on lightning spec. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. But I honestly don't see madness's style of play changing much from what it was in 5.0. As madness your pretty much an artillery cannon. You can deal crazy dps if you get ignored by the enemy team, or have great peel, but otherwise if you get focused, you melt like butter. Going solo, having good positioning from the get go is a must to avoid focus fire and get out of sticky situations quickly.

Like someone said mobility is somewhat more limited than on lightning. Not that you can't kite on madness, but doing so usually comes at a big cost to your dps since you are unable to use force lightning. Unlike lightning spec where you can usually cast hard hitting abilities like thundering blast and chain lightning on the move with the right utilities.

I'd say go madness if your confident your going to get good teammates that will peel for you. Healer and/or a tank guard. You can also play it well if your in the mood to play really safe and cast from a distance. But you will get punished hard on this class if you get up close and personal.

I'd say go madness if your confident your going to get good teammates that will peel for you. Healer and/or a tank guard. You can also play it well if your in the mood to play really safe and cast from a distance. But you will get punished hard on this class if you get up close and personal.

See, this reasoning was sort of true for 5.x. Madness was deadlier than lightning if left to freecast, but it was squishier. Now, madness doesn't even have that advantage.

I do find the "boring" comments rather strange though. It's not like a rotation's simplicity really matters much in pvp, where there are so many other factors like kiting, chasing, cc, attacking the correct target at all times, knowing how to position yourself, using your dcds correctly, etc. The way I'm playing lightning so far is virtually identical to how I played madness, except I'm just tankier, kiting is easier, and I can actually kill people swiftly.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

The main problems with Madness, imo, is that the Force Lightning is easily interruptable, and that the slow effect while channeling barely seems to do anything since 3.0 -- with all the leaps/teleports/immunities these days. Force Lightning needs a 1s root or something. Or a faster channel. Both? Edited by Rion_Starkiller

The main problems with Madness, imo, is that the Force Lightning is easily interruptable, and that the slow effect while channeling barely seems to do anything since 3.0 -- with all the leaps/teleports/immunities these days. Force Lightning needs a 1s root or something. Or a faster channel. Both?

It needs FL to be castable while moving. It would increase both DPS and survivability. Force Leech also needs to re-worked. It is spectacular weak as both a heal and damage, and it requires a utility to be remotely usable.

Well I just wrote a really long post in reply to this thread, only to lose it when I accidentally clicked a link on the page. Gotta love forums that don't save your posts as drafts. Feelsbadman. Don't feel like retyping it all but I'll summarize my main points.

I don't think madness is anymore interruptible than lightning is. If your on the ball, most times depending on the utilities they've chosen, you can interrupt a lightning sorc's thundering blast (their hardest hitting single target ability). If the lightning sorc is going the aoe route, you can interrupt their force storms. You can technically also interrupt their lightning bolt, but is much harder to do, and to less effect.

I also think madness needs some kind of a rework. The playstyle doesn't really fit the spec name imo. In the beginning I assumed it was called madness cause there was RNG involved. But that's more up lightning's alley. Along with damage reduction. Madness sorc needs more than just being a dot caster with some cc. The cc no longer matters much with all the cc breakers in the current meta. What it needs is a buff to its self heals. Both from dots and force leech. That really fits my image of a madness sorc being a kind of makeshift force vampire, stealing the life from its enemies to buff and sustain itself.

I don't think madness is anymore interruptible than lightning is. If your on the ball, most times depending on the utilities they've chosen, you can interrupt a lightning sorc's thundering blast (their hardest hitting single target ability). If the lightning sorc is going the aoe route, you can interrupt their force storms. You can technically also interrupt their lightning bolt, but is much harder to do, and to less effect.

This is true. Getting my thundering blast interrupted is infinitely more annoying than getting my force lightning interrupted as madness.

I admittedly don’t know madness or lightning that well as I only levelled a sorc to play it cos my friend used to pull me to my death on fleet in group while queuing for pops and had to get in on that shizzle 😂

But if force lightning procs one of the dots to be instant right iirc? And u have to finish the stationary cast to get the proc. Ummm, if you could do that while moving or uninterruptible it would be kinda op, I mean you could just force speed around dotting enemies up and deathfield and los peeps, would be infuriating to play against haha

I admittedly don’t know madness or lightning that well as I only levelled a sorc to play it cos my friend used to pull me to my death on fleet in group while queuing for pops and had to get in on that shizzle 😂

But if force lightning procs one of the dots to be instant right iirc? And u have to finish the stationary cast to get the proc. Ummm, if you could do that while moving or uninterruptible it would be kinda op, I mean you could just force speed around dotting enemies up and deathfield and los peeps, would be infuriating to play against haha

Not as annoying as being squishy as fk, have dots that tickle an enemy while they purge your slow with multiple abilities/ utilities and rip your face off with 100k+ damage in 2.8 seconds. Madness is just not competitive and when compared to lightning is no contest.

Lightning got beefed cause of it being used as an example about not being able to do NiM or not being viable in PvE, Sadly Madness has been left in the dark as a result.

I agree with some points already made, increase the self healing built into the spec, re-work force leach, give a utility choice for force lightning to be used on the go.

However i do think other classes deserve more attention then Sorc right now.

I haven’t played madness for a very long time, but I don’t remember it being so damn boring.

Ive a random Sorc Alt sitting around lvl44 and because I’ve already got 3 ling sorcs, I decide to switch this one to madness for a change.

Now I haven’t taken it into pvp yet because I wanted to get a feel for it. But GOD, Damn (can’t believe swtor spell check keeps making making God ***** into gosh darn) is it boring as hell in pve content, there are literally 5 or 6 bottoms to press and if you don’t have all your dots on one target, death field is pretty much useless (I don’t remember it being so weak).

Also, there are no mobility procs like ling sorcs and most of you time you are stuck hard casting. It feels so slow and boring. It also feels clunky as hell, and is it just my imagination or does it have less abilities to use in combat?

So how viable is it in pvp? I think less mobility than ling sorcs to kite would make them sitting ducks and easy to global. At least on my ling specs I can kite and always have something worth while to use.

I got so bored last night that I ended up switching the Alt to heals. Which I’ve never done in swtor before. So that’s going to be interesting :rolleyes:

Any tips on healing, what abilities do I use the most, what GUI set up do you use. I switched my tab target to tab friend and put a shift modify for tabbing the enemy.

When I used to heal in WoW, I had my GUI set so my group window was in the middle and I could click on it, but the swtor one doesn’t give enough visual information for me if I reduce the size and it’s too damn big to leave it as it is.

you doing madness wrong if you feel bored

pro tip for not boring

1. stay in melee range to spread dot , dont ever use your 30 meter distance , palpatine never do that

2. use basic attack once in awhile if enemy close

3. spam force storm for single and multiple target

4. always fight up close and personal

good luck

Edited by KumbayaGOD

It needs FL to be castable while moving. It would increase both DPS and survivability. Force Leech also needs to re-worked. It is spectacular weak as both a heal and damage, and it requires a utility to be remotely usable.

This ^^^.... that would make it much more dynamic

Aye there's issues with madness because of how hard hitting a lot of classes are now.

Lightning / TKs combos / rotations work well in situations where you have to los / kite.

Balance / Madness on the other hand has very little like that, only control moves like force slow etc. which don't really work in a lot of situations.

As a result a lot of us are finding that its been made exceptionally squishy this expac.

Which, obviously doesn't make for a fun time with the rate that sorcs get focused as it is.

Boring it is not, at least not in PvP. :)

But yeah it is not as good as lightning, although it has been my favorite since launch, outside of a few cool hybrids back in the day.

I think kiting is pretty much a part of your rotation in PvP, so it's never boring. Force Slow actually gets used pretty much on cooldown. I play mostly Slow Mercy in PvP and can do great damage when I want to, but will switch to Tempest when I anticipate smaller numbers of enemies or a greater need to burst people down. In any case, I'd rather win than chase numbers.

Trixx, hit me up in game some time and I'll run some tips by you and do some games with you if you want. If you don't find me on my sorc Pelvic Sorcery, I may be on Flux Capacitor, Chonies, Prima Nocte or Basghetti maybe.

Edit: Oh and self healing now sucks. It's very hard to stay alive or spend a lot of time dpsing when you have to stop and actively self heal more frequently. Built-in mechanisms for self healing are failing in this spec.

Edited by Monterone

Boring it is not, at least not in PvP. :)

But yeah it is not as good as lightning, although it has been my favorite since launch, outside of a few cool hybrids back in the day.

I think kiting is pretty much a part of your rotation in PvP, so it's never boring. Force Slow actually gets used pretty much on cooldown. I play mostly Slow Mercy in PvP and can do great damage when I want to, but will switch to Tempest when I anticipate smaller numbers of enemies or a greater need to burst people down. In any case, I'd rather win than chase numbers.

Trixx, hit me up in game some time and I'll run some tips by you and do some games with you if you want. If you don't find me on my sorc Pelvic Sorcery, I may be on Flux Capacitor, Chonies, Prima Nocte or Basghetti maybe.

Edit: Oh and self healing now sucks. It's very hard to stay alive or spend a lot of time dpsing when you have to stop and actively self heal more frequently. Built-in mechanisms for self healing are failing in this spec.

Ok, thanks :D