Pokemon X/Y, Your Thoughts?

Djstingable

I don't think there's many Pokemon fans in this community, but to any of them, what is your opinion on what has leaked about Pokemon X/Y? Obvious pokemon x/y spoilers ahead if you don't want absolutely anything spoiled:

So far we got a lot of new features and cool new pokemon. I'm to lazy to link anything, but that's what google is for, :D

Some new features and stuff in the game that have been leaked/seen in trailers:

3D

Diagonal Walking/Running

Roller Skating

Riding on a Gogoat - some goat pokemon.

Mega Evolutions - mega evolutions (could be new formes, this was just leaked today) of previous pokemon, including lucario, blaziken, mewtwo, ampharos, mawile, and absol.

Pokemon-Ami - Playing with your pokemon and making faces at them

Character Customization

Region based off of France, called Kalos

Team Flare - Goal: To make money

New Fairy Type - Super-effective against dragons, and some pokemon are getting retyped to become fairy or part fairy, some pokemon confirmed include: Gardevoir, Marill, and Jigglypuff.

A new eeveelution, Sylveon, to be a fairy type.

Professor Sycamore who will battle you at some point(s)

Pokemon Hordes - Occasional battles that can happen against hordes of pokemon, about 5 of the same pokemon. (Zubat zubat zubat land la la la)

So based off of that list of leaks, what do you guys think of pokemon x/y? Any new features, returning features, pokemon, evolutions, mega-evolutions, that you want to see? Let the discussion and/or flame war begin! :rak_03:

Edited by Djstingable

I am a huge fan of Pokemon, and I have been since I was a kid and was given Pokemon Blue as a Christmas present all those years ago. I have all the games (Well, one color of each game at least . . .) and have enjoyed them all. I hope to continue to be a fan until I am old and grey!

Naturally, I am really looking forward to Pokemon X/Y. I watched it as it was announced live, very exciting! It's about time it came on the 3DS. The graphics look great, as those the environment. I was just reading about mega evolutions before finding this thread, it sounds very intriguing. It looks like if the Pokemon is holding a special item, it evolves in battle and then de-evolve after battle. I like how we can customize our characters now, oh, and my favorite thing might just be the world-wide release date! :i_biggrin:

I like the look of most of the new Pokemon. A few are a bit meh, but most are nice. There seems to be a bit of hate aimed at the newer Generation Pokemon, hate that I feel is rather undeserved for the most part. I really like the new fairy-type Pokemon, first time a new Pokemon type has been added since Gold/Silver I believe. I think Sylveon may be in my main team! :i_angel:

I think I will choose Fennekin as my starter this time. I usually go for the Grass or Fire type. Random question, whats everyone's favorite Pokemon?

Edited by Cyberwoman

I was just reading about mega evolutions before finding this thread, it sounds very intriguing. It looks like if the Pokemon is holding a special item, it evolves in battle and then de-evolve after battle. I like how we can customize our characters now, oh, and my favorite thing might just be the world-wide release date! :i_biggrin:

[...]

I really like the new fairy-type Pokemon, first time a new Pokemon type has been added since Gold/Silver I believe. I think Sylveon may be in my main team! :i_angel:

They did a anime OVA to show Mewtwo's new appearance in preview of the new movie... The way they shown it, I was under the impression they were trying to do something like Goku's Kaioken or Super Saiyan transformation. Because of it, I'm not sure if I'm excited or disappointed... excited by the gameplay it could result (not only in Pokemon, but maybe Super Smash Bros also), and disappointed by "plagiarism".

---

As for the Fairy type, at first I was not find of it (eh ? Fairy ? That's really a type ?) but I realized it was probably an attempt to break the "law of Fight-Ghost" which allow any Pokemon mastering attacks of both types to never be hindered by any resistance. And so, I assume they will make Fairy type resistant to both Fight and Ghost types.

As we're at it, I also assume that Fairy and Dark will become mutually super effective, because these types are the type of the "cover pokemons" of X and Y and usually they won't give one advantage over the other one, and at the same time these types give me a polar opposite feeling/impression, and can't imagine them being neutral to each other, and even less resistant or immune. If I'm right, that would be the first time that two types would be mutually super effective, and I think that it would be interesting. I may be desillusing myself on this one, but I think that they didn't, they'd miss something big.

---

There's one thing about this game that makes me feel unease : I'm from France, and I fear the game to have obvious clichés. I'm not sure that I will be able to keep my 3DS in one piece if I hear accordion in the city imitating Paris for exemple...

I think I will choose Fennekin as my starter this time. I usually go for the Grass or Fire type. Random question, whats everyone's favorite Pokemon?

My favorite pokemon.. hard to decide, lol. Probably lucario or the new mega-lucario. As for favorite so far revealed for x/y, I am in love with noivern.

There's one thing about this game that makes me feel unease : I'm from France, and I fear the game to have obvious clichés. I'm not sure that I will be able to keep my 3DS in one piece if I hear accordion in the city imitating Paris for exemple...

I don't think their will be much clichés, but 5th gen Unova being based off of new york/usa did have a few, and I did like the accordions some towns of unova. I suppose it could be like Hoenn and the horns :D Might be a mime or something like there were harlequins in b/w

Edited by Djstingable

I don't think their will be much clichés, but 5th gen Unova being based off of new york/usa did have a few, and I did like the accordions some towns of unova. I suppose it could be like Hoenn and the horns :D Might be a mime or something like there were harlequins in b/w

I think I can deal with mimes considering the "Clown Arena" of Black/White... I'll try to persuade myself that they're trying to follow the same stream than Black/White, and that it's not a attempt to make a pseudo-Marceau.

Ah, I just rembered Mr.Mime... I'm quite sure there will be some mimes now.

---

I hadn't read the thing with mega-evolutions until this morning, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. Equip an item and he will automatically "evolve" for the duration of the fight ? That's boring. As boring as summoning a Castform during a weather event. I hoped that it would be an "Attack" learned at high level which allowed to buff up seriously (with or without duration limit) at the cost of having only three battle attack and wasting one turn.

Now I just hope that attacks like Embargo or "stealing attacks" will make them "devolve"... I'm looking forward to see someone so proud of his mega-Lucario despairing to see his tactic destroyed by a lame attack like this.

Edited by Altheran

mega evolutions is really stupid, and the pokemon dating sim is just.... creepy, but i like pretty much everything else.

fairy-type is going to the turn the metagame on its head. psychic and poison will be useful. dragon has a counter? (steel doesn't count. for such a sturdy type, it has so many glaring weaknesses)

lati@s could be pretty OP again since their STAB psychic can overcome some fairy counters.

• 5 weeks later...

A few days go they announced the Pokemon Bank. It seems to be a service in which, for an annual subscription, you can store around 3000 Pokemon in a cloud system. In addition to that, it can be used to transfer Pokemon from Gen V to Gen VI. It sounds very interesting, as long as it has a reasonable subscription price.

Another fascinating thing that was that you actually get two starter Pokemon, either Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie at the start, and then either Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle soon after! Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise also have Mega forms.

Edited by Cyberwoman

A few days go they announced the Pokemon Bank. It seems to be a service in which, for an annual subscription, you can store around 3000 Pokemon in a cloud system. In addition to that, it can be used to transfer Pokemon from Gen V to Gen VI. It sounds very interesting, as long as it has a reasonable subscription price.

Another fascinating thing that was that you actually get two starter Pokemon, either Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie at the start, and then either Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle soon after! Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise also have Mega forms.

Isn't there torchic as an event pokemon, making it 3 starters? I see it as a way to get all 3 types nice and easy.

• 4 weeks later...

I quote myself to give a report that my 3DS is still one piece even though they used the said music instrument.

By the way I beat the league today at roughly 00:30 (AM GMT+1), and I can say it was propbably one of the best pokemon game I played... ...no, probably the best. I used to prefer Gold over all other versions, and it's hard to accustom myself to the thought that it's may not be the best anymore. (Played the old GB/GBC edition, so that's so old that it's rather a "truth" in my mind than a preferrence).

I found two flaws to this game :

- Minimalist endgame : beside the classic "catch what you didn't", and "find the legendaries that spawned somewhere" (and you're not told they did) , there are the combat house and pokeradar, and that's all. Previous version had at least few new roads to wander, or rematch with trainers/gym leaders. Disappointing considering it has become like a standard since Gold/Silver to have at least a bit more exploration.

- The most rediculous "evil team" ever. The reason their boss have, is good and the end plot was something worth. But still... why the lackeys have such stupid reasons to be "evil" ? "I am stylish, and you who are not shall disappear" - WHUT ?!? Really, why no one in the organization even understand the the boss' philosophy and make the team look so pathetic ?

I quote myself to give a report that my 3DS is still one piece even though they used the said music instrument.

By the way I beat the league today at roughly 00:30 (AM GMT+1), and I can say it was propbably one of the best pokemon game I played... ...no, probably the best. I used to prefer Gold over all other versions, and it's hard to accustom myself to the thought that it's may not be the best anymore. (Played the old GB/GBC edition, so that's so old that it's rather a "truth" in my mind than a preferrence).

I found two flaws to this game :

- Minimalist endgame : beside the classic "catch what you didn't", and "find the legendaries that spawned somewhere" (and you're not told they did) , there are the combat house and pokeradar, and that's all. Previous version had at least few new roads to wander, or rematch with trainers/gym leaders. Disappointing considering it has become like a standard since Gold/Silver to have at least a bit more exploration.

- The most rediculous "evil team" ever. The reason their boss have, is good and the end plot was something worth. But still... why the lackeys have such stupid reasons to be "evil" ? "I am stylish, and you who are not shall disappear" - WHUT ?!? Really, why no one in the organization even understand the the boss' philosophy and make the team look so pathetic ?

To be fair, it was a like if the church of scientology and genocide got mixed together. After all, the whole 5 million pokedollar membership fee was priceless.