How much am I really missing by skipping the dread masters operations?

Alacono

I am about to finish up Ilum and wanted to experience the full dread masters story. However, I don’t know anyone else that plays the game and am a little nervous about jumping into operations. I’m not an overly shy person or anything, but I’ve just never been the type to just randomly ask people for to ask random people on video games if they want to group up with me or whatever. I have read a few conflicting reports, but most of what I’ve seen leans towards the ops being pretty important (ie you can’t just play Oricon and get the idea) but I was hoping to get a few more opinions. I also usually only get a few hours to play on weeknights, so I’d hate to wait until it’s on the group finder just to not be able get into a group. Also, am I missing anything by playing other stuff like Hutt Cartel and Revan and then maybe coming back to it? Or should it really be started right after Ilum.

I would say its a self-contained arc so you can go ahead and skip it if you're not interested in doing endgame activities, though there are cutscenes and videos of the operation on YouTube if you'd like watching it just to understand what happened in the arc.

You don't miss much, the operations are mostly boss fights broken up by some trash mobs. They aren't cutscene or story-heavy like the storyline type flashpoints are.

You can either leave the mission in your log, or just dismiss it. If you end up doing operations later you don't have to be on the mission to do the OP.

I felt the same when I started doing them, OP. It's better to join a guild that does them and is willing to take it easy with newbies. The story is nothing to write home about but it does make Section X / Oricon a bit easier to understand.

I am getting the feeling that while they are a great experience if ops are what you are interested in, it might not be the best use of my time or necessary to actually go through and do all the ops just to watch a few cutscenes (which seem to be already compiled in at least one YouTube video I found). I’m leaning pretty heavily towards just watching the ops parts on YouTube and playing the other parts (basically just oricon section x and the Belsavis imp storyline which I was going to do with my warrior anyway). Seems like I’ll be able to get the story experience I want but not have to dedicate time and effort to getting into a group and doing the ops that could’ve been spent doing other parts of the game I’m more interested in.

Well, you will want to go through the Oricon stuff just to get access to the daily area, which in turn opens up the option for Oricon on your conquest objectives. If you're not going to have your gamer OCD triggered with an incomplete mission in your log, there is not a lot of downside to not finishing off the arc ...

There is no conversation that I know of, in the Shadow of Revan and KOTFE/KOTET expansions, that recognize you as having defeated the Dread Masters. Other achievements/milestones/decisions that you've made during the game matter, but not this achievement. That's the most important thing. However, if you did the Belsavis main imperial story line and freed them, you do get recognized during the Oricon story. However, during the actual operations of DF and DP there isn't anything special.

The introduction mission on the fleet to Oricon, where either Chancellor Saresh or Darth Marr ask for your help, will recognize if you have helped in the other operations, especially S&V. I also vaguely recall the imperial intro mission on the fleet to Section X recognizes if you freed them on Belsavis, but I don't recall if either faction's version of the intro mentions EC. If I recall correctly, Black Hole came out with EC and Section X came out with TFB right before 2.0 came out, so by rights it would make sense that the intro to section X would recognize if you encountered the voices of the DMs in EC, for either faction.

There are two titles, (blank) the Fearless and Epic Hero (blank), and one mount, the Strike Force Tauntaun, you will miss out on by not doing the Oricon story with the ops. The Tauntaun does require Legend rep, so you'll have to grind a fair bit on Oricon if you don't do the operation.

Now, all that being said, the Belsavis imp story, KP, EC, Section X, TFB, S&V, and Oricon are all connected. I'd love to see one continuous video with all of that, but alas.

The best way to dive into operations is to join a friendly guild. I enjoy just about all the aspects of the game, despite my complaints. Do what makes you happy, of course, but the Story Mode versions of the ops are very doable if you are in a friendly guild with some veterans. You don't have to be part of a progression guild and a good guild will teach you what you need to know in the operations.

Edited by phalczen