Winter/Spring 2018 Roadmap Update

KeithKanneg

Thanks to Keith and Eric for the updated Roadmap. After listening to the podcast from Bad Feeling https://badfeelingpodcast.com/audio/podcasts/episode_190_final.mp3 with both of you answering questions I thought I would add MY few cents into the mix.

1. PVP'ers are always wanting new content. I don't PVP but why not give them new warzones every few months. I might be wrong but I would think warzones are easier to code.

2. Maybe a new FP/OP every quarter. I like FP's and do them OP's, however, I no longer do it the price of getting old.

3. Larger Story content that comes out not as often like (Rise of the Hutt Cartel).

I love the story content, the daily activities, and with the changes, you are making to conquest my guild will really be able to compete ( We are a small guild). Now I know some people will not like my suggestions there are always people that their need or wants should be met first. I have been with SWTOR from the beginning, In my opinion, some of the changes have been very good and some have not. I still play because it's Star Wars and Bioware. Started with Balder's Gate and been playing almost every game that has been made sense.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to have seen the post about conquest last week. Any ETA on the augments post? Would love to have it ASAP to know if all efforts of getting 236 augments are any use or we should just hoard our mats/credits waiting for 5.9.

Eric and Keith,

This has been noted and asked multiple times. Repeatedly. Ad nauseum. Are the only questions you are willing to answer the ones about companions? Please give us an answer.

Ok, I will rephrase...

"So, my companions have their gear that I am planning to augment with the new augments. I am trying to decided between augmenting Theron's gear, Ashara's gear or Jaesa's gear. I cant decide which one to do first. Can you please shed some light on the new augments to help me decide?

Thank you so very much.

Cheers,

One TIC Poster

In all seriousness, please shed some light on the new augments. Thank you.

So I’m sure this isn’t the first time this has been requested, but I’d love to see more class-specific content. I understand the logistical difficulty of that in terms of both the storyline perspective with how many variables would have to be juggled since each class plays through essentially the same story and made different decisions, as well as the budgetary concern, with how expensive the original game was, made worse by the aforementioned storyline issues.

So one thought I had, have you guys considered a full expansion that we’d have to pay for? I would imagine the revenue would offset much of the expenses involved. It may not be an attractive idea, but I know for myself I’m addicted enough that I’d be willing to pay for a full, substantive expansion, and I’m sure many if not most of my fellow subscribing addicts feel the same.

This could also fit the model you mentioned of releasing chapters over time rather than one large expansion. The money from the paid expansion should offset that first chapter, draw more players in/back, leading to more revenue, more budget for subsequent chapters.

Edited by MarzipanIV

Also, here’s another idea. You’ve gotten requests for new classes. Logistically unrealistic of course since then you’d have to produce new variations of Ilum and onwards. So how about new classes that would be borne out of the Alliance? For example, Alliance Soldier. The story would begin after the traitor story that’s about to wrap up. Then, by the end of that story, you have to choose whether to serve the Republic or the Empire, giving you access to one of their fleets, and permanently aligning you with that faction. So, these classes would only be available to subscribers, would not have access to anything up to and including the traitor story, and would act as its own mirror class for purposes of faction balancing?

Also, here’s another idea. You’ve gotten requests for new classes. Logistically unrealistic of course since then you’d have to produce new variations of Ilum and onwards. So how about new classes that would be borne out of the Alliance? For example, Alliance Soldier. The story would begin after the traitor story that’s about to wrap up. Then, by the end of that story, you have to choose whether to serve the Republic or the Empire, giving you access to one of their fleets, and permanently aligning you with that faction. So, these classes would only be available to subscribers, would not have access to anything up to and including the traitor story, and would act as its own mirror class for purposes of faction balancing?

And who's gonna do the work on this? Almost everyone at BW is working on Anthem with only the bare minimum still doing SWTOR related stuff. And even they could get switched to Anthem anyday.

They can't even do proper companion returns anymore and you are asking for a new class story? Seriously? 2018 is gonna be like 2017 all over again. And in 2019 i guess the next server merge happens. 1 server in the US and 1 in europe. Then maintenance mode until Anthem officially flopped and Bioware ends on the bloody EA chopping block.

And available for both genders given Lana is the only f/f avail romance where as Koth and Theron are both m/m as will Arcann be to my knowledge.

Even making existing romance chars available as a new romance for all classes works for me. (Especially Aric and Kira! I know a few of my chars who would be happy to have a chance at them!)

Is it true that Arcann will be available as a SGR? If so, my IA is going to need to make a new decision. Theron or Arcann.

Thanks for the new drama writers. :-)

Uhhhh UNLESS you have NOT been paying any attention, for like the past TWO or THREE years?

Companions' gear CAN BE TOTALLY EMPTY and it is NOT NEEDED to modify their gear anymore -- other than for LOOKS / Cosmetic reasons ONLY.

NO MODIFICATIONS will affect / enhance / detract from their performance in combat any longer. This was all fixed i think around 4.0 or 5.0 at the very least (KOTFE).

THE ONLY DRIVER that affects companion performance in battle now is INFLUENCE aka the old "Presence" stat.

NO MODS (including AUGMENTS which are just not necessary FOR THEM anymore) are needed in their gear now.

Did you not read the patch notes for 4.0 or 5.0?

oh that's right. most people don't care or bother to ever read patch notes.... :(

Eric and Keith,

This has been noted and asked multiple times. Repeatedly. Ad nauseum. Are the only questions you are willing to answer the ones about companions? Please give us an answer.

Ok, I will rephrase...

"So, my companions have their gear that I am planning to augment with the new augments. I am trying to decided between augmenting Theron's gear, Ashara's gear or Jaesa's gear. I cant decide which one to do first. Can you please shed some light on the new augments to help me decide?

Thank you so very much.

Cheers,

One TIC Poster

In all seriousness, please shed some light on the new augments. Thank you.

Uhhhh UNLESS you have NOT been paying any attention, for like the past TWO or THREE years?

Companions' gear CAN BE TOTALLY EMPTY and it is NOT NEEDED to modify their gear anymore -- other than for LOOKS / Cosmetic reasons ONLY.

NO MODIFICATIONS will affect / enhance / detract from their performance in combat any longer. This was all fixed i think around 4.0 or 5.0 at the very least (KOTFE).

THE ONLY DRIVER that affects companion performance in battle now is INFLUENCE aka the old "Presence" stat.

NO MODS (including AUGMENTS which are just not necessary FOR THEM anymore) are needed in their gear now.

oh that's right. most people don't care or bother to ever read patch notes.... :(

Im pretty sure the companion has to have a weapon equipped, and I want to say it was concluded that their performance decreased if no weapon was in place, specifically the dual-weilding companions. Not sure if defense was tested in addition, but the tests were done post 5.x, iirc.

Im pretty sure the companion has to have a weapon equipped, and I want to say it was concluded that their performance decreased if no weapon was in place, specifically the dual-weilding companions. Not sure if defense was tested in addition, but the tests were done post 5.x, iirc.

At one point post 4.x, companion statted gear still provided some boosts to performance. Now I'm pretty sure it's just you have to have a weapon equipped, and dual-wielders > single-wielders. I've been given to understand that certain companions outperform other ones (in particular that the Pack Companions are mostly inferior to non-Pack Companions).

At my level of play, it hardly matters, though

At one point post 4.x, companion statted gear still provided some boosts to performance. Now I'm pretty sure it's just you have to have a weapon equipped, and dual-wielders > single-wielders. I've been given to understand that certain companions outperform other ones (in particular that the Pack Companions are mostly inferior to non-Pack Companions).

At my level of play, it hardly matters, though

The stats themselves are meaningless, but a weapon needs to be equipped for max performance, per given comp.

The stats themselves are meaningless, but a weapon needs to be equipped for max performance, per given comp.

That is what I would expect.

Since you have to take action to disarm them, if you have, you've impaired yourself by an actual action; whether deliberate or negligent.

No they don't have to have a weapon equipped (though some maths nerds somewhere have probably worked out the percentage differences if they do have a weapon equipped - I don't have a link). I found this out by accident when I unequipped Scorpio's weapon & forgot to replace it with the one I preferred whilst using her on my main (a Sith Inq). She is my preferred companion when I do star fortresses & I couldn't work out why she was punching mobs to death :D She was 50 influence though and influence definitely does make a difference to companion performance (which I think we all know by now). And Scorpio doesn't wear armour., for that person who thinks armour stats still make a difference to companion performance.

Lmao you just complained people don't read stuff, but you obviously didn't read all that he posted and what he was replying to. His post was... wait for it... SARCASM (I'm using caps too since you seem to like them).

He was saying the devs haven't answered my question about augments (which MANY players have asked). The ONLY thing they answered to was questions about companions. So he made a JOKE linking the augment question to companions, which are totally unrelated, put that was the point of the joke. If you actually READ THE POST, you could have realized it.

That being said, @devs augment info ASAP please thanks

Edited by Eloi_BG

Hey everyone,

I think for all of us, this Roadmap process we started last year could stand a bit of improvement. Instead of providing information every 90 days or so, it’s taking a lot longer to get you any information about what we’re planning, and honestly, that needs to change. I’m still reticent about communicating details beyond 90 days, but I do want you to be comfortable with our direction and where we are headed.

With this in-mind, we’ve decided to use the Forums as the means to get you the information about the next couple months versus waiting for a Roadmap. This will allow us to be more responsive to your questions, address your concerns, and maintain a better dialog going forward. It also helps us (especially me) to stay available and not make it seem like we’ve disappeared into the ether. Here is what you can expect in March and April this year (2018):

March 13 – Game Update 5.8 - Command Authority

Operations:

• Izax, The Destroyer - The 5th and final boss from the Gods from the Machine Operation. There will be two modes with Izax; Story and Master mode. This also means we will not be offering a full Master Mode for all bosses in the Operation. This was an especially difficult decision for me to make, as I have loved the interaction between developers and our raiding community. Yet, based on what we’re planning for this year and beyond, it’s better to focus on the upcoming group content.
  • However, we are going to run a special Izax event for those who are worthy enough to defeat him. Everyone who does will have an opportunity to receive a new achievement, a special and unique Title, and a new and very enticing Legacy-based reward.
  • Note, we’ll deliver the Title and Reward when we launch Game Update 5.9 – The Nathema Conspiracy.

Conquest Revamp:

• We have all enjoyed receiving our rewards each week! Ok, in reality, we’ve had our fair share of issues this past year, but going forward, we want Conquests to be a consistently fun activity for Guilds and individual participants.
  • As a result, we’ve made substantial improvements to the Conquest system including a new interface, new daily objectives, new missions, and more. Most importantly, we have rewritten the backend system to ensure you benefit from your weekly efforts. Look for details in an upcoming blog or forum post.
  • A new Conquest Vendor will appear for those who complete their personal conquests each week. It’ll initially have Decorations and a new Companion boost called the Commander’s Compendium which will increase your active companion to influence level 50. More on this below.

Companions:

• Arcann Romance – Everyone’s favorite former villain has had a change of heart and may be more “available” than he was previously.
  • Companion Return: Vector – Imperial Agents will see the return of Vector Hyllus! Easily the best member of the Killik hivemind.
  • Companion Return: Ashara Zavros will return to the Sith Inquisitor’s side. How will things go with her former master?
  • Commander’s Compendium – Personally, I like having various companions with influence level 50 available and depending on the fight, I might want a ranged DPS, or a melee type healer, or whatever. I also like the various animations and barks from a variety of our companions. We are introducing a new companion gift that can immediately raise the influence level of your companion to 50, but it’s expensive, requires some crafting, and requires you to complete your Personal Conquest objectives before you can purchase it from the vendor.

Cartel Market: We improved the way we operated the Cartel Market last year based on your feedback. The team is looking at making additional big changes starting with Game Update 5.8. We’ll give you more details when we’re a few days away from release.

April – Game Update 5.9 - The Nathema Conspiracy

Flashpoint:

• This year’s story has shown the final ramifications of the path that Valkorion first chose when he devastated Nathema, so it’s only natural that we go there to bring that story to its exciting conclusion.
  • We’ve added powerful new Augments for those who need additional stats to help take down Izax in Master Mode. Or, you simply want to be OP! In this new Flashpoint, we’ll provide legacy-based Crafting Patterns (Bind-on-Pickup – BOP) which will drop randomly off mobs and Bosses. If you’re one of the lucky ones, you may also find a Bind-on-Equip (BOE) version of the same patterns. We’ll follow up with the materials needed to craft the Augments.

Operations:

• Izax offers an amazing new reward
  • We are providing a new vendor just outside the Gods from the Machine Operation offering special items to those players who have earned an achievement for killing Izax, The Destroyer.

Companions:

• Companion Return: Felix Iresso – The Jedi Consular’s loyal soldier has had a rough time these last few years – can the Consular help him?
  • Companion Return: Mako and Akaavi - Bounty Hunters and Smugglers are reunited with this duo, who’ve been working together during the players’ absence.

Subscriber Rewards: We have a series of Subscriber promotions throughout the next few months… look for details in your email, on the Launcher, or on the SWTOR website. For example, the February Share your Love of SWTOR started yesterday and ends February 27, 2017.

Beyond April – Discussion Topic!

As we look back to 2017 and now beyond the conclusion of the traitor storyline, we are planning to continue delivering content in the same manner throughout 2018. When you look at the total year, you received a wide variety of both multi-player and solo activities including a new story, Strongholds, Starfighter updates, a new Warzone, two new Flashpoints, and a new Operation, along with many Quality of Life improvements.

We heard feedback from some of you indicating you missed having a more “traditional” expansion and you’d rather wait so it all comes at once. I like having updates released regularly versus waiting long periods of time in-between patches. Although this remains our current plan, we are also laying out what we’ll include in a 6.0 Game Update. We’ll keep you informed of our summer, fall and winter plans throughout the coming months.

We look forward to expanding more on what you can expect in 5.8, 5.9, and beyond! As often as we can, we will be around in the thread to answer your many questions about those updates. Looking forward to having some good discussions.

--- Keith

Are those dates even accurate still?

Personally, I like having various companions with influence level 50 available and depending on the fight, I might want a ranged DPS, or a melee type healer, or whatever. I also like the various animations and barks from a variety of our companions.

Do you also like how companions will keep spouting their healer lines while tanking, a neat feature that's been around since the very introduction of selectable roles? I love that personally, it makes a whole lot of sense.

Do you also like how companions will keep spouting their healer lines while tanking, a neat feature that's been around since the very introduction of selectable roles? I love that personally, it makes a whole lot of sense.

I wonder if he would enjoy pointing out mistakes and problems with your life in a condescending manner.

Some tanking skills heal right? Always thought it was because of that.🤔

Lmao you just complained people don't read stuff, but you obviously didn't read all that he posted and what he was replying to. His post was... wait for it... SARCASM (I'm using caps too since you seem to like them).

He was saying the devs haven't answered my question about augments (which MANY players have asked). The ONLY thing they answered to was questions about companions. So he made a JOKE linking the augment question to companions, which are totally unrelated, put that was the point of the joke. If you actually READ THE POST, you could have realized it.

That being said, @devs augment info ASAP please thanks

uhhh I DID read the whole post.

And i am NOT ABLE to detect sarcasm so EXCUSE ME Mister Bigshot!!!!! :-(