Easy fix for server imbalance

Zergxiu

What idea do you guys have to solve population imbalance?

I would think something like:

Copy planetside's method.

They had 3 sides, and whenever a side got lower, they gained a permanent (or as long as the imbalance lasted) damage, hp, xp gain, damage reduction percentage as a faction.

I.e. on servers where its 2-1 sith-rep would be 5% bonus xp/damage/hp for rep

3-1 sith-rep 10% more damage

4-1 20% more damage.

a) it will pull more people to these sides

b) it will make life as the underdog at least with "some" advantages :)

Whatever you do, do NOT go the blizzard way with cross server crap and transfers to "help solve sith queues"

Edited by Zergxiu

Sounds like Tenacity from WotLK in WoW which was fricken awful and discarded with Cata.

Wouldnt be like tenacity, since it would be permanent in pvp and pve.

See it more like a compensation for the fact that theres less players to play with, less people putting things on the auction house, etc etc. Think about it if theres 1000 people to chose from and 100 are good and 10 of them are super

if you only have 500 players to chose from it will be a ton harder to make a nice raid or pvp team. Only makes sense to "make" them better by a certain bonus. Doesnt have to be exactly this. Just an extra incentive to play the underdog side.

it's just not a good idea--it's very inelegant, and what happens when there's actually an even confrontation between players? the normally outnumbered ones win easily

though there are a lot more imperial players now, it will even out over time. People will get sick of 100% huttball

it's just not a good idea--it's very inelegant, and what happens when there's actually an even confrontation between players? the normally outnumbered ones win easily

though there are a lot more imperial players now, it will even out over time. People will get sick of 100% huttball

How do you know it will even out? It didnt even out in Wow either. Only very few servers were equal.

If you had to give one solution, what would you propose?

I agree its maybe not the best solution, but its a start,

How do you know it will even out? It didnt even out in Wow either. Only very few servers were equal.

If you had to give one solution, what would you propose?

I agree its maybe not the best solution, but its a start,

it did even out in WoW

I think the best "solution" would be to recommend players making new characters to play on the outnumbered side. No, it wouldn't solve the problem, but it would help a little

using a buff like you're suggesting would be incredibly irritating for everyone. You've got to remember that most content in TOR has nothing to do with faction balance--the warzones will likely be the most competitive PvP for a while, and it's a non-issue there

it did even out in WoW

I think the best "solution" would be to recommend players making new characters to play on the outnumbered side. No, it wouldn't solve the problem, but it would help a little

using a buff like you're suggesting would be incredibly irritating for everyone. You've got to remember that most content in TOR has nothing to do with faction balance--the warzones will likely be the most competitive PvP for a while, and it's a non-issue there

Ive played on several servers in wow over the 6 years, and the imbalance got only worse on the 3 servers i played on. Especially when the queue problem was "solved". First the only deterient to be horde was long queues.

I agree that for warzones its probably not much of a factor, on the otherhand

In wow say some epic trinket from AH cost 15k on alliance side, and 5k on horde side.

IN this sense it DOES make quite a diffirence, and maybe above poster is right when he says maybe a gold + experience bonus then.

Recommending people to join a certain server will help yes (a little). Think about it: Your friends play on empire 5 v1.. who will you join? If theres no incentive, things will spiral out of control when more and more friends join their friends in the coming weeks.. which will be on the side most likely thats already overcrowded.

We need a nice idea :))

Well, I do agree with the idea of giving the side with fewer numbers a small PvP buff or something similar. Doesn't mean you have to give them unfair advantages, but a little boost to the morale goes a long way. If I'm not mistaken, that's what they did in Aion, and it worked quite well there. And you can say whatever you want about Aion, most players would admit that this is/was one of the few games with proper PvP.

Well, I do agree with the idea of giving the side with fewer numbers a small PvP buff or something similar. Doesn't mean you have to give them unfair advantages, but a little boost to the morale goes a long way. If I'm not mistaken, that's what they did in Aion, and it worked quite well there. And you can say whatever you want about Aion, most players would admit that this is/was one of the few games with proper PvP.

How did they do it there?

When the ratio goes over 1:1.5 in favor of any faction, lock creation of new characters for that faction on the server.

and is that then while people are logged on? or when people arent logged on?

If they would implement something like this, it should be something like flagged active characters for the last few days or something, Cause they did the same in wow, but then during night u could just make new char :)

Your solution addresses the effects caused by server imbalance by giving arbitrary bonuses to the "weaker" side. To truly fix the problem you have to tackle the cause not the symptoms. The cause is more people are rolling empire than republic.

Static bonuses would mean in warzones and solo encounters the underplayed side would dominate. So cruel and capricious players in the system you envision would role Jedi shadows and scoundrels and mercilessly stalk and grief people in world pvp relying on said buffs to keep them from ever facing a true source of danger.

So obviously your proposed stat buffs could only be important in non instanced objective based group pvp where one side consistently is under represented. And considering that there is only a singular zone that fits this criteria ,Ilum, your proposal does very much mirror the tenacity system of WoW’s wintergrasp which ultimately was replaced with an instanced zone that limited the number of people who could play due to the fact that such stat bonuses do little to actually mitigate even the symptoms of server balance let alone the cause.

You also suggested that item and gold drops should increase on the side receiving the short end of the server population stick since stuff on that side of the server costs more. Assuming that economic manipulation of faction based server was so easy that such simplistic approach would work the consequences of it would be a great boon for gold sellers/farmers. By farming gold and items on the minority faction their time and effort would be doubled nay tripled by transferring though neutral auctions the fruits of labor to markets where there are2 to 3 times more prospective buyers.

The fact that it is harder to get groups for operations and flash points for players on the minority side is true. But saying that those players should get bonus loot and have an easier time running the instances is bordering on asinine. Think about it in reverse. If your faction has more people than others we are going to give your bosses 10% more dps, health and half the time they won’t drop loot. Why does it matter going into an instance if your side has fewer players than the others you can only bring 8 of them.

Aions hard system of preventing character creation of high population factions has its own issues but it actually addresses the root cause. If you’re going to just treat the symptom do so by making new content non faction specific. Such as more warzones like huttbal for those pvpers on the majority side or flash points that force sith and jedi to work together to overcome a an instance together. I personally would like to see more pvp that was not faction specific but think that instance idea is almost as horrible as your stat/exp/gold boost idea.

TL:DR Your idea is only a bandaid not a cure for the actual problem server imbalance. And it’s a highly flawed one

Edited by Bastgar

They should just block the option to create imperial characters on heavy/full servers with population imbalance if you don't have a character there already.

Plus, in wow it was evening over time until they allowed faction change, that screwed everything.

What idea do you guys have to solve population imbalance?

I would think something like:

Copy planetside's method.

They had 3 sides, and whenever a side got lower, they gained a permanent (or as long as the imbalance lasted) damage, hp, xp gain, damage reduction percentage as a faction.

I.e. on servers where its 2-1 sith-rep would be 5% bonus xp/damage/hp for rep

3-1 sith-rep 10% more damage

4-1 20% more damage.

a) it will pull more people to these sides

b) it will make life as the underdog at least with "some" advantages :)

Whatever you do, do NOT go the blizzard way with cross server crap and transfers to "help solve sith queues"

/facepalm