Great and awesome people you meet in Group Finder

I thought it would be nice to have a counterpart of the (rather long and entertaining) The weird people you meet in GF thread, where we can talk about cases of people who impressed you in some spectacular way, for example by saving the group in a situation that was looking hopeless.

While reading about bad/weird experiences can be funny and educational (personally I picked up a lot of things one should or shouldn't do from that thread), it can also dissuade new players from entering group content entirely. Let's convince them not every GF group is like that!

Some ground rules: any group content applicable (non GF is fine as well), no bragging (make sure your stories aren't just about you :D), no names (advertising specific players is not the point of this thread and it can cause them to be friendlist spammed).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess I'll start with one of my more recent HM FP runs.

HM False Emperor, me on my Sage Healer with Guardian tank, Gunslinger dps and (I think) Guardian dps, all lvl 65.

Starting trash goes easy, skipping to the first boss on the bridge (Tregg the Destroyer). Others know to stay out of the spin attack the first time it comes up, so I'm mostly just keeping people bubbled and putting hots on them and dots on the boss, occasionally dropping an aoe heal. However, soon the melee dps takes too long to move out of the red circle, and dies almost instantly (I felt bad, but don't think I could save him even if I was channeling heal at him at the time). I switch to reviving him, and the moment he's up the boss suddenly dies. I'm a bit surprised since the fight seemed shorter than I'm used to (I forgot to put the boss in my focus target, so mostly didn't keep track of the health bar). Running ahead of myself, while there were more deaths further on, I think this death was the only one in the whole run which might count for player error.

Next boss, Jindo Krey, the mandalorian one with the gunship. Start of the fight, I force speed to the console to shoo the gunship away, one of the dps follows and successfully uses it after Jindo grapples me back to him. I go into heal mode, but soon notice there are no missile target markers on the ground from the gunship attacks. And everyone is gaining stacks of the missile damage debuff, making it harder and harder to heal through the damage from the gunship. I'm struggling to keep the tank alive, the dps somehow manage stay alive with my occasional off-heal and not standing in one place. At this point I can't possibly stop healing to use the console without losing the tank, so the dps should be taking care of that. They do or try to, but the stacking damage bonus doesn't reset and soon I fail the continuous burst heal test. Tank dies, we eventually wipe.

I'm puzzled because I can't figure out what the heck we did wrong, so I stay silent running back, as do all others. Bubble everyone, tank pulls. I decide to stand closer to the console this time, to keep track and make sure we don't miss using it when it's time to reset the gunship damage bonus. The gunslinger seemed to have the same idea, and we make sure to use the console regularily during the fight. It doesn't work, the damage stacks keep piling up. At this point I can't see the gunship at all, like it's invisible. Skip forward past some of mine frantic healing, the tank dies again, followed by one of the dps. The dps pipes up with "it's bugged" and the tank replies "yeah". They were right, as the gunship soon materializes right on top of the middle console, covering part of the room. :D The other dps somehow manages to stay alive for a bit with my help, but soon heroically perishes with me shortly following. At that point, the boss was at ~10% and I noticed with surprise the fight goes on. Turns out the tank and the other dps ressed at checkpoint and ran back in time to continue the fight! Jindo went down in seconds, and someone joked that we managed beat the bug boss. I get a res, we loot, and move on.

We one-shot every boss after that, including the bonus boss. Not a single death, in fact I barely had anything serious to heal, so they had to be interrupting all the interruptible stuff. Probably the most heal intensive fight was the difficult trash pull after the HK boss at the anemid engineer (we beat it without bothering to use cc). The two prototype droids boss fight went down faster than I've ever seen before, I think the first unshielded one died before they even had the chance to switch the shield once. Those guys were really good.

Edited by Styxian

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to necro this thread, because I really like the idea of it. I think more posting more of people doing things right in group content should be applauded rather than just treated to a casual "Thanks for the group" at the end of a FP. Maybe we can get people thinking that being decent humans in group content breeds more decent people in group content. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to set the scene; I decide to queue for a HM FP or two to finish out my weekly. I get a fellow guild member to come along. I'm on my main, a watchman sent, mix of 224 and 220, about as min-maxed as I can get atm. My guildie brings his scoundrel healer, which while not his main currently, was his main for the majority of 2.0 and 3.0. We queue up and eventually Lost Island pops. We get a shadow tank and guardian dps speced as vigilance. I figure this will either be a breeze, or a disaster.

Let me state up front, that I greatly enjoy a new player that is willing to learn.

As we start moving through the trash to the first boss, my guildie informs me via mumble that the tank is spiking in hp pretty badly. We figure it's his first time here since he doesn't seem to know any of the mob skips. We get the first boss down fairly easily, but we loose the tank. I figure that one might have been on me, I derped for a bit and forgot about the adds on the first boss. We rez and on to the second boss. Tank hp still spiking and we loose him on one of the trash packs. But we get to the second boss without major incident. By this point I've taken a look at his buff bar; nothing out of place there, right stance and everything. I don't really worry about the lack of a guard because of how much he's spiking anyways. I give a brief run down of the next boss and we get started. We one shot the boss, but things got a little hairy. Both the tank and the other dps go down as the lightening spheres weren't dropped in the best places. Rez and onward.

After another few times of loosing the tank to trash, my guildie pulls out a repair droid and we quickly take a closer look at his gear. Mostly entry level pvp gear. I don't know the optimal stat balance for shadow tanks, but my guess is that he was off on something. And it being entry pvp in a HM FP didn't help either. Knowing what's further up the road, my guildie and I start wondering if we have a failing group on our hands.

Now I know that at this point, it's starting to sound like this belongs in the other thread, or that I'm bragging about me and my guild mate carrying the group. I promise it gets better.

Prior to the Hulk boss (I don't recall the name right now, the one that smashes, hence "Hulk".) I explain the fight. We wipe a few times, but now I'm starting to see some potential in this tank. After each attempt, and explaining why each attempt failed, I see this tank adjust. He stands closer to the boss for smash, he uses force speed to his pillar, he get the boss a little closer to the center for each smash. Stuff like that. After a handful of attempts, we get Hulk down.

During the next one or two trash pulls, we see the tank breaking the cc that my guild mate is putting out prior to the pull, making things a little more interesting and getting the tank killed again. After rezing him again, we explain why we're ccing things and to not break them. Again, this tank adjusts. The rest of the trash gets cc'd and exploded properly for the most part, and the tank doesn't die again.

We get to the final boss room and after the cutscene I explain the mechanics and the little side step move that saves the tank a lot of damage. We pull and wipe shortly after the second pod explodes. We rez, review somethings, and pull from a slightly different spot that puts us closer to the pods. This time we beat the boss without loosing anyone. The tank performed beautifully. He moved the boss out of slime, he side stepped the cone of doom, he helped dps on the pods, and managed to hold aggro for the most part during the final burn phase (During which I was burning full out to make sure we passed. Major props to his threat generation there.).

We all said our thanks for the group and zoned out. My guild mate and I chatted for a bit longer about how much nice it is to have new players that are willing to learn and adjust instead of banging their heads into the wall. :D

TL:DNR. New, slightly under geared shadow comes into HM Lost Island. Has a bit of a rocky start, but he learns and adjusts to advice that he is given, and emerges victorious on the other side of it.

Hi ShadowTech, this is the guildie you mentioned in your post...:D

I had another GREAT experience with three strangers this time.

So I queue on my 65 guardian tank and a I get a tactical FP with three DPS: a 65 slinger, and low 30s sent and commando. I get Depths of Manaan. I'm like "This could be a problem, but OK we will see how it goes." I have had my fair share of PuGs in Manaan that break up at the first boss let alone the second, and having two mid level characters in the group did not inspire confidence. But...always optimistic...

Early trash was a challenge only because I get a call from work just as the first pull in happening...DOH!!! But I muddle through mouse clicking and we move on. At the first boss I ask the question in chat: "Anyone not know this fight speak up now." One of the 30s says he does not know, and the slinger asks for a reminder as it has been a while.

So, I explain the fight. Pretty straight forward: I tank the boss, they damage the droids, stay out of red, when I call for it switch to the boss. I make sure the group is all inside the room (two were standing in a place where if I had started they would have been locked out), and I pull. The sentinel jumps in on the boss and so I chat "DROIDS" a couple of times and he moves to the droids. After that the fight is cake.

We clear some more trash and we get to the second boss. I again explain the fight: Stack on boss...even you ranged types, when flow is cast stop what you are doing and run away, after lightning kill adds, rinse and repeat. Gotta be honest I was a bit over confident in my ability to absorb damage and did not move the boss, so things did get a little hairy, but the commando threw some heals :D :D :D. And we one shot that boss.

We get to the final boss without incident and I explain that fight: five minute timer, drag the boss to the fire, kill adds. I only had to encourage movement once and again we beat that boss handily.

Manaan is supposed to be one of the harder Tactical Flashpoints and this group one shot everything because they obeyed the mechanics. One even thanked me for being a good leader :o TFPs are not hard, but zerging them is a sure way to fail.

I was hoping there'd be a positive post for GF :D

I actually have a story. Ran False Emperor on my new lowbie knight today. Today was just a train wreck of bad FP experiences for me today, and I just wanted to get my daily's done and over with. Que in with 3 dps, I'm the vigilance spec and a sage healer. All of them were 65 range and I'm like in the high 20's.

I spoke up in chat, since it was a while since I had done False Emperor and please be patient. I got reassurance that it was good and the run went smooth as butter.

Amaaaaaaaaazing heals and smooth dpsing all around. Not a single death, and all 3 of the boss runs went by so fast, and we cleared trash mobs, used the shortcuts and cleared it in I'd say...15 mins?

It was such a relief after a long day of dealing with bad FP's.

Got another one...

Was in a TFP (Battle of Rishi) when I got a call from work...the president of the company no less. I informed the group that I was sorry but work called and that they could either wait while I afk or I could leave, I gave them the choice. they asked how long, I said could be 2 minutes could be 20. We were at the second boss, so they said "step inside, we can always kick if you take too long."

So I stepped inside and they 3manned that boss.

I then thought I was done and followed them through only to get another call, so I was afk again this time only for a minute.

Really nice people who understand that sometimes life gets in the way.

thank you Sargas, Malaron, and Lookajedi. :o:D

Got another one...

Was in a TFP (Battle of Rishi) when I got a call from work...the president of the company no less. I informed the group that I was sorry but work called and that they could either wait while I afk or I could leave, I gave them the choice. they asked how long, I said could be 2 minutes could be 20. We were at the second boss, so they said "step inside, we can always kick if you take too long."

So I stepped inside and they 3manned that boss.

I then thought I was done and followed them through only to get another call, so I was afk again this time only for a minute.

Really nice people who understand that sometimes life gets in the way.

thank you Sargas, Malaron, and Lookajedi. :o:D

Glad to see one of my guildies living up to our ideals of patience and helpfulness in FPs :D

I saw one person last night on Progenitor asking for help to complete the opses that are part of the Dread Masters storyline on Oricon, the Dread Palace. I asked that could I help since I`m a healer (I had done it earlier last year when I was on point of doing that mission myself) Well, this group where I was invited got enough people already but the ops leader couldn`t put us through group finder like many wished. Then one by one people began to quit and so did I since waiting began to felt bit frustrating.

I joined to another group which was looking for healers and tanks but the ops leader didn`t try to recruit two more person, (s)he went completely mute and the other persons in same group told that they were going to do a new group. I quitted this one too and joined the one they were making.

And this is where my happy and awesome experience on Dread Palace begins: I haven`t done many Opses while playing SWTOR (only the Dread Fortress and Palace since they were needed to finish the Oricon storyline). So I practically couldn`t remember the tactics but our ops leader explained all the tactics to me and the group: I was super happy and they he was so willing to explain everything practically hand to hand :) So you Mercenary ( I won`t say your name since that would break the rules here) Thank you so much on behalf of my Sorcerer healer Alerie :) You gave me a new interest to try operations and It was so refreshing that you had all that energy to type out the tactics toa person like myself, even I did get bit confused at Dread Master Raptus due the bit fastness of doing it. If any of those persons who were playing the Dread Palace last night, I just want to say: Thank you too for a great group and run.

:):)

Last night on Harbinger I and some guildies did a random tactical FP and got Battle of Ilum, which is not hard but it's very long. One of the guildies was falling asleep and I was dozing off a little, too.

We finish up and two of them leave and myself and the sleepy guildie decide we'll stick it out to complete our HM weekly, since we only needed one more and we wanted to get it done before the weekly reset. I'm heals and she's dps, so I'm expecting we may have to wait a little bit for the GF pop for a tank, but it goes instantly and we start Boarding Party.

The jugg tank proceeds to give a master class in tanking that I have not seen an equal of since I started playing four years ago. The whole run took about 20 minutes when we were expecting to be in there for much longer. And the best part was he was not an IMPATIENT fast tank. I never had to worry about my resources, he made sure we were following on the shortcuts, and if one of the dps accidentally pulled the mob we skipped he'd just jump in and take care of it without raging or complaining. The only difficulty was the big droid boss because three of us were unfamiliar with the HM mechanic (I still don't know what it is, since we basically facerolled it with some spiky damage I had to heal through but there were no deaths).

But the fast run overall was such a nice surprise and because of the tanking it felt more like a tactical in difficulty instead of HM. After this run my guildie and I were energized to finish our tactical weekly. We really appreciate that jugg's presence and ability getting us over the hump.

All i meet is total nubs in tactical pops. and i'm queuing healer with hm and tacticals checked.

they do zero dps and the only thing they know about the game is how to click kolto.

Don`t have anything nice to say in this thread? This is after all meant to be positive thread to counter "the Weird People you meet on Group Finder" :)

Edited by Rebamcfan

Just had an awesome Kaon Under Siege run. Had hopped in GF hoping to get it or Lost Island (for the extra conquest) and luckily this popped up. Went in, said hellos, and went on our way (I'd joined solo, and just randomly a guildie was also in the run :-D). Tank was fantastic (and put guard on me right away which is a really good idea. Arsenal Merc in 224 gear...), and healer did a fantastic job keeping us all up and all alive the entire time (the only death was the healer, and that was me and the other dps's fault as he got stunnlocked by a mercenary and we didn't realize it until he was dead :( ). But we continued on through and beat all the bosses and the whole FP in under an hour. Didn't get to do the secret boss as not everyone had a relic, but was still a great run nonetheless (and I walked out with 9k conquest which is nice :) ).

I had a really nice GF Explosive Conflict run this weekend on my gunslinger main. It was about half a guild run, i think 4 people were from the same guild. If i remembered the name, i would give them a shout out here. I didn't inspect anyone's achievements, so i don't know if anyone was new, though a couple of players said they were rusty on the details of the operation.

We made it through the first bunch of trash ok, with maybe a death or two, then one-shot the Drouk bosses, no problem.

We took 3-4 tries on Firebrand & Stormcaller, while people figured out their best positioning to handle the spikes and yellow circles.

On to the minefield, one of the tanks knew how to work the tower console, and one was more comfortable on the ground, and it went like a well-oiled machine. One-shot, no deaths.

It took us two tries to beat Kephess. Everyone knew the fight, we didn't lose anyone to reflective shields, but the first time we lost a couple of people to the fire from the walker, and we hit enrage. We had him down to like 1%. One more try, and it went fine.

Never any complaints or ragequits. Just a really pleasant group which made for a fun EC run, which seems kind of rare.

I like to add competent people I've met through GF to my friends list and then poke them for future flashpoints. The other day, during Rakghoul week, something slightly different happened--one of them (DPS Guardian) was asking in gen chat for one more to do the Rakghoul heroic, so I joined him on my TK Sage.

As someone who has facetanked far too many things with a squishy class that relies heavily on channels/casting, it was a delight to have a fellow DPS who was aware of his utilities and taunted stuff off me. When I thanked him for it, he said "yeah, I'm not a tank, but it didn't seem like you should be the one getting hit".

Group-aware people are the best. <3

Also, new people who say they are new (altogether or just to a specific FP), ask for directions and then follow them? They are also the best.

Now after reading some of these posts. I'm tempted to try my hand at a few now. It's nice to see a better way of helping players regardless of being new or just new to FPs and etc. I myself have Ops for Dread sitting in my log on a few players both Republic and Imp side. Mostly Imp though, along with Seeds and Shroud's. Been sitting there so long I forgot all about them actually until now. But I give you guys credit and applaud you all for bring a nicer group finder thread, as the other one I avoided because I suck at just about anything with a group mechanic in it. I am a solo player that doesn't group at all. But you guys give me an idea that I may have to come out of my comfort zone and give it a try ...I may..May not, depends.

Now after reading some of these posts. I'm tempted to try my hand at a few now. It's nice to see a better way of helping players regardless of being new or just new to FPs and etc. I myself have Ops for Dread sitting in my log on a few players both Republic and Imp side. Mostly Imp though, along with Seeds and Shroud's. Been sitting there so long I forgot all about them actually until now. But I give you guys credit and applaud you all for bring a nicer group finder thread, as the other one I avoided because I suck at just about anything with a group mechanic in it. I am a solo player that doesn't group at all. But you guys give me an idea that I may have to come out of my comfort zone and give it a try ...I may..May not, depends.

If you're not already in one, if you join a PVE guild there are more often than not plenty of people that would be happy to take you through them. You don't have to use the GF alone to get through group content. Guilds are more often than not patient, helpful, and supportive.

I would bet that most vets feel the same way I do about helping people with content. I feel more satisfaction getting through a FP that took time to explain and a couple of hard learning experiences via wipes than a zergfest faceroll with three other vets who can't even bother to respond to a simple "hi" in the beginning. Guess which one makes me fall asleep at my desk.

I'm happy to heal/tank the whole flashpoint for three new/mediocre dps (or one new tank) as long as they say they're new and they listen to advice. It's more manageable in guild runs but I've had similar experiences in GF, too. It only becomes a problem and turns into a story in the Weird People thread when the other people are rude (i.e. spacebar monkeys), fake "pros", completely silent despite efforts to elicit a response, or deliberately unwilling to follow advice if something isn't working.

I have another entry for great people: When I'm doing a guild run with two others and we have to queue for a random fourth. So far this week the randoms have been patient and engaging with the rest of the group, which is much appreciated since it is typically the first time for the two guildies I'm guiding through. No spacebar spam, rage quits due to a mechanic wipe that needs to be taught, or anything like that. It also gives a good example to the two new players that not all people in GF are weird.

With most guilds atm not being too Alt friendly as I have 20 characters on Ebon Hawk alone, that well I tend to politely decline guild invites because I know if i don't log in on whatever name I put into a guild for at least 30 days, they have the right to Kick it, so to save myself some time and embarrassment I politely tell them I won't join because it's an ALT that I use to level up story content, and craft with, then move onto a new name. But I do see the point in joining a guild, other thing is too, I tend to use youtube as a source of learning mechanics for a fight, even when it's solo style like end of chapter class fights with Darths, and etc. I will go and watch how to move around and keep HP up without it declining fast. I usually stay out of the areas that are stuck on stupid. I won't deny I'm new to most stuff about the game, just also extremely shy to play with others. I guess past toxicity is what made me that way. But again thanks for the advice ,I still have a ways to go, and more research to do.

Yet another...but this one was slightly different (both good and bad)

So I get into a HM Hammer Station on my guardian tank and the group is already at the first boss (not a good sign, but I'm optimistic). We engage the droid and right away I can tell why the last tank either left or was kicked: the healer is not cleansing the targeted laser. I hang in there blowing every CD I have when I have them, and we get the boss down to single digit percentages and I die. I get a battle rev and we win.

So after that fight is over, I comment in group chat to the healer that he would be advised to learn how to cleanse that laser debuff. Not nasty, but firm. He responds by saying that he does not cleanse because the fight is not a challenge if he does.

My - half-joking - retort was, "So are you going to pay my repair bill?"

Another group member chatted, "lol".

The healer said, "how do you feel about getting kicked?"

My response, "GO AHEAD."

the fourth stepped in and said, "shut up <real name>." (obviously they knew each other IRL)

I do not know how long they were waiting for a tank, but I it can be inferred that it was a while and the other did not want to wait again.

The group was smooth after that. I gave the healer a challenge by never stopping after that. :p During another pull one of the dps died and the healer joked, "now you have to pay her repair bill."

Thank you to the group. Specifically the two DPS for forcing cooler heads to prevail :)

Yeah this isn't as fun as the original thread ... though I did do five solid HM flashpoints in a row ... Black Talon, Hammer Station and Foundry (Black Talon three times actually). Good thing was definitely that it was a full guild group. Mmmm, sometimes it isn't always bad stories :D

Yeah this isn't as fun as the original thread ... though I did do five solid HM flashpoints in a row ... Black Talon, Hammer Station and Foundry (Black Talon three times actually). Good thing was definitely that it was a full guild group. Mmmm, sometimes it isn't always bad stories :D

Maybe it won't achieve well over 7,000 posts like the other thread, but maybe it will get some people interested in doing group content when they read some good stories instead of all the terrible ones. A lot of people see that weird post and don't want to be "in it", so to speak, and stay away from the content, which in turn makes the GF pops longer and gives Bioware more fodder in proving that the community is not interested in group content and should therefore continue to be ignored (or at least pushed to the extreme margins).

I actually have 2 :)

First was battle of Illum. Zone in, mention I haven't done this one in a year. The jedi guardian ( I think) I'll call him "G" was super supportive and took charge. He gave out simple instructions for the boss "Lik Boss A get adds, avoid circles etc" or "Boss B tank and spank kill adds etc" we did the bonsuses, we joked, the other teammates he gave out roles too and they listened! :eek: I was on my dps guardian, so naturally I took the adds, G would tank, and the others did their roles.

I ended up joining G's guild, and whispered we should do more content together. Side note to end a great run, I popped the req levels so I could upgrade my mods soon as I got back on fleet. Wins for all

Second was Directive 7. REALLY hadn't been here in a long time. Last time I think I wa a healer, and being a healer vs dps in FP I barely remember was incredible. Once again I'm on my now Lv. 48 dps guardian, and a very kind 65 jedi gave me clear instructions how to tackle each boss.

Cleared it all in record time, no big glaring deaths and everyone walked away with creds, gear, and no if very little repair bills.

I actually have 2 :)

First was battle of Illum. Zone in, mention I haven't done this one in a year. The jedi guardian ( I think) I'll call him "G" was super supportive and took charge. He gave out simple instructions for the boss "Lik Boss A get adds, avoid circles etc" or "Boss B tank and spank kill adds etc" we did the bonsuses, we joked, the other teammates he gave out roles too and they listened! :eek: I was on my dps guardian, so naturally I took the adds, G would tank, and the others did their roles.

I ended up joining G's guild, and whispered we should do more content together. Side note to end a great run, I popped the req levels so I could upgrade my mods soon as I got back on fleet. Wins for all

Second was Directive 7. REALLY hadn't been here in a long time. Last time I think I wa a healer, and being a healer vs dps in FP I barely remember was incredible. Once again I'm on my now Lv. 48 dps guardian, and a very kind 65 jedi gave me clear instructions how to tackle each boss.

Cleared it all in record time, no big glaring deaths and everyone walked away with creds, gear, and no if very little repair bills.

You've hit two VERY important factors:

#1 you said from outset that you were unfamiliar with the FP. While some will up and quit (ignore those), most will be supportive and give instructions.

#2 but equally important is that you and your teams FOLLOWED the instructions given.

I will take three newbs who follow instructions over veterans who try to blow through and/or skip trash and/or ignore mechanics, EVERY SINGLE TIME.