The Unofficial Official Debate: Which was better KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, SWG, or SWFU?

zElmTree

KOTOR, created the story, annoying jedi system.

KOTOR2: this game was never finished, not applicable. Just because they sold it doesn't mean it was finished. Assuming you want to call as released 'finished' it was appallingly terrible, because the game runs out of itself and you suddenly end up with content which isn't in any way connected to the previous content.

Force unleashed: Not even a comparable experience to the others, it's an action game. It's probably the most 'fun' but only because it only lasts about 5 hours. It lacks the depth that any of the other games have which make them interesting for more than 5 hours, that depth means they lack the brief intensity of a FU experience, but they're more sustainable.

SWG: Steaming pile of refuse from launch day until closing day. Other than jump to lightspeed, and that had the same problem as the rest of the game, which was that there wasn't anything substantive to do at level cap. Bizarre mechanics (crafting resources, 1 character per server, no progression past leveling, random profession mastering = jedi... wut?), virtually no players, even from early on, basic broken systems that never worked. It was like a bad copy of UO.

SWTOR: mechanically a copy of world of warcraft so it's hard to call it its own game. Annoying spoken dialogue that only gets more annoying the more you have to put up with it, especially in flashpoints. It seems like the story is inconsistent between players which makes an ever expanding tree of complexity for new expansions, so I'm not sure how they will resolve that.

Jeeze, you seem to dislike a lot of the best Star Wars games ever made.

Also, Op, put Shadows of the Empire in here.

Edited by TheLonelyTusken

Jeeze, you seem to dislike a lot of the best Star Wars games ever made.

Also, Op, put Shadows of the Empire in here.

I liked KOTOR 1, but I didn't like the jedi system (mostly because it meant trying to get off the starter planet at level 2 to maximize jedi levels). I liked KOTOR 2 right up until the point where they clearly stopped development that connected the content and just stuck in all of the art assets they'd worked on in a nonsensicle fashion.

Force unleashed is fun, but it's a 5 hour experience fun, it's not comparable to the others.

SWG was tremendously disappointing. JTL had its moments but that was about it.

SWTOR is as fun as WOTLK WoW, because it's a copy of wow, with some regressive 'features' (the unnecessary VO - which isn't all of it, just some places where it gets really annoying really fast, lack of mods etc.). It's fun, but arguably not as fun as it could or should be, and given that it's a copy of another product that was arguably more fun until they decided to announce World of Kung Fu Pandas at War craft.

You have to consider every game against what is, what is is trying to be and what it could be. KOTOR was great but as part of their storytelling they made some compromises on mechanics that didn't work for example. SWG failed at pretty much everything, including crossing small bodies of water where you'd rubber band back. That's a matter of what were they trying to do, and did it come out well, and was what they tried to do a good idea. I could make a star wars game where the whole point is to be a storm trooper who gets killed by a jedi in the first 15 seconds of the game. No mater how well you execute it that won't be fun, on the other hand if I make a game about being a jedi killing stormtroopers where I can't even consistently get to them because of rubber banding is failing at execution.

Lego star wars, star wars battlefront (the series in general) xwing/ tie fighter series were all good experiences for what they were trying to. As was force unleashed, and KOTOR1. KOTOR2 and SWG both failed miserably to live up to what they were trying to be and what they could have (or should have) been. KOTOR 2 did fantastically well in reviews because reviewers glossed over the whole 'game wasn't quite finished part'. SWTOR is better than SWG, in that it does a decent job of being what it tries to be, but what it tries to be is comparatively weak to what it has the potential to be. The Jedi Knight (i.e. jedi academy series) in the same vein of decent but kind of undelivered on potential. Empire at war tried something innovative, and it wasn't horrible. I don't think I played any of the movie tie ins or hand held games.

KoTOR wins everything

Best story

Best gameplay

Best voice acting (NOTHING touches Kotor)

KoTOR 2 is just bad compared. It was rushed, so its story made very little sense, and in general it was just less polished. It could have been good, but it wasnt. I'd but it after SWTOR. Its not TERRIBLE, but its just not KoTOR.

Basically: KoTOR > SWTOR > KoTOR2

swg of course: only mmo where you had freedom and there was more than 1 way to play and gear you char, you were only limited by your imagination... which gives the game a very long gamelife (as I said, I expect to be utterly bored by swtor in a couple of months due to no freedom whatsoever, leading to repititiveness)

Star Wars Tie Fighter.

win!

also, how does the SW:FU get even within 100 miles of the other games on the list? That's like asking what do you like more? bacon, pie, steak, or dog crap.

no dark forces? no x-wing? XvT? Jedi Knight series?

I think if KoTOR 2 had been done, and so much of it had not been stripped out, it would be a serious contender, but it was just too much of an unfinished puzzle.

Both KOTOR games are the standouts to me, as good as TOR is. But choosing a favourite KOTOR game is darn near impossible. I guess in a gun-to-my-head scenario I would pick number two. Obsidian has always been good at making more distinct, and less cookie-cutter scenarios than other developers. It's too bad they became a victim of LucasArts meddling, because their darker, more nuanced take wass very good. Again, both KOTOR games are great, and I have replayed each of them. But I guess, for purposes of choosing one, I'll pick number two. It put a little more life into the Star Wars universe. Edited by GoodEnoughForMe

Kotor was probably my favorite, it had some bugs (my pc version would always freeze whenever I tried to fight Malek for the first time, but my x-box version was fine) but it had a fun story and was the first time I really got to play as the "jedi/sith".

Swtor is probably my second of the list. It has it's bugs and flaws but I enjoy playing it and it's still being worked on as we speak.

Kotor 2 had great potential but that's like giving us a delicious cake that's only half cooked. Sure it might not be uneatable but it should have been much better.

SWFU was what it was suppose to be. A chance for you to play as the maverick jedi. Do I think it could have been beter? Yes, very much so. Do I wish it had at least half the plot of any "old republic" game? Yes, very much so, but it's still playable. Doesn't have high replay value, which is probably one of its greatest weaknesses.

I never played SWG so I can't comment on it, although most people seem to either love it or hate it.

Honorable mentions go to Empire at War (as well as forces of corruption) and Battlefront. I could never really get into the Jedi Acedemy games.