How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

I always wondered why they didn't just set the bolster stats for a piece equal to the tier of pvp gear they just made obsolete. For example, after 2.7 goes live, make bolster give you the same stats as conqueror gear does now. They already know what trees we're spec'd into, and they already have the existing sets with stats to work off of. It would be like the old recruit gear, only they'd force you to wear it until you replaced it with one of the newer set pieces.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, with 2.7 bolster changes, does gear still need to be equal to or less than 193 (like 69/63/61), or has that gone up?

(to get full EXP)

I didn't bother checking the PTS. The patch notes eluded to increasing bolster to account for the new PvP tier, so I would guess its going to move to like 470 rating on a 3mod item. Weapons being the only exception, but remains to be seen if they will actually be BiS now. I don't think losing 4% is good, but if the delta between PvP weapon attacks and bolster PvE weapons is higher than 200HP, I'm still wearing my PvE weapons..

Randle, just curious. Now that 2.7's been out a few days, do you have any updates as to how best to go about gearing yourself for PvP? I have a brand new 55, and I'd rather wait and see what you have to say before dropping a bunch of comms on the wrong gear.

Randle, just curious. Now that 2.7's been out a few days, do you have any updates as to how best to go about gearing yourself for PvP? I have a brand new 55, and I'd rather wait and see what you have to say before dropping a bunch of comms on the wrong gear.

Relics and set bonus. The same crafted purple ears/implants are now better than Obroan, I have a sneaky feeling that belts/bracers are better as well. As for MH/OH, yeah PvE is still better than Obroan, even with the bolstered EXP nerf (and possibly Brutilizer too due to another "snafu").

Neat guide here, I'm glad someone picked up the pace after I went on my 12-month hiatus. Now that I'm playing the game again, I plan to revamp my original contender guide to make it more in touch with current game mechanics.

Cheers

Hello, I'd like to ask for some advice about my main hand weapon and the current system please.

I'm trying to use a PVE combo and have:

Barrel: 31, rating 168, purple (crafted)

Mod: 28A, rating 156, purple

Enh: 25, rating 140, purple

Crystal: +41 power, rating 136, purple

Does that sound right, or should I switch something out?

Thank you!

Hello, I'd like to ask for some advice about my main hand weapon and the current system please.

I'm trying to use a PVE combo and have:

Barrel: 31, rating 168, purple (crafted)

Mod: 28A, rating 156, purple

Enh: 25, rating 140, purple

Crystal: +41 power, rating 136, purple

Does that sound right, or should I switch something out?

Thank you!

That's about right, but you can do better.

I guess I should say it here instead of "debating" it in other threads. The issue with MH/OH is still present. I am pretty sure the stat sheet is incorrect, and bolster+PvE weapons are BiS, even with the EXP nerf. I am pretty sure force/tech power, and power are not subjected to any bolstering or "debolstering", and regardless of what the stat sheet says, a weapons native min/max damage is still what is reflected in tooltip ratings. What this means is that if you have weapons with higher min/max damage than PvP ones, your tooltip values will be high enough to cancel the EXP nerf...

I haven't seen this anywhere, but it should also be noted that with 2.7 the lvl 53 purple implants and ear (artifact microfilament) are BIS over even Brutalizer for some classes. For example on my operative, the artifact microfilament earpiece is +10 endurance, +18 cunning, +7 power, +6 surge over the obroan earpiece, with the only loss being 3 expertise (-0.18% damage boost) vs the Obroan earpiece. Over brutalizer the gains for the purple 53 are +2 endurance, +10 cunning, +2 power, +2 surge, with the -3 of course to expertise. They are clearly better than obroan, and at least equal if not better than brutalizer.

Wish I'd figured this out before I bought brutalizer ear and implants for some of my toons. Doesn't work for all classes, but if you are flexible with your itemization on other pieces you can make the 53s work on almost everything.

I haven't seen this anywhere, but it should also be noted that with 2.7 the lvl 53 purple implants and ear (artifact microfilament) are BIS over even Brutalizer for some classes. For example on my operative, the artifact microfilament earpiece is +10 endurance, +18 cunning, +7 power, +6 surge over the obroan earpiece, with the only loss being 3 expertise (-0.18% damage boost) vs the Obroan earpiece. Over brutalizer the gains for the purple 53 are +2 endurance, +10 cunning, +2 power, +2 surge, with the -3 of course to expertise. They are clearly better than obroan, and at least equal if not better than brutalizer.

Wish I'd figured this out before I bought brutalizer ear and implants for some of my toons. Doesn't work for all classes, but if you are flexible with your itemization on other pieces you can make the 53s work on almost everything.

/agree

That's about right, but you can do better.

I guess I should say it here instead of "debating" it in other threads. The issue with MH/OH is still present. I am pretty sure the stat sheet is incorrect, and bolster+PvE weapons are BiS, even with the EXP nerf. I am pretty sure force/tech power, and power are not subjected to any bolstering or "debolstering", and regardless of what the stat sheet says, a weapons native min/max damage is still what is reflected in tooltip ratings. What this means is that if you have weapons with higher min/max damage than PvP ones, your tooltip values will be high enough to cancel the EXP nerf...

Because I am kinda tired of trying variants of PvE gear viability, will I be OK in my full min/max brutalizer + 28 purples (operative - medic)? I just re-subbed after a month and currently reading all bolster guides is not on my roadmap so far.

Thanks for answer in advance :)

Because I am kinda tired of trying variants of PvE gear viability, will I be OK in my full min/max brutalizer + 28 purples (operative - medic)? I just re-subbed after a month and currently reading all bolster guides is not on my roadmap so far.

Thanks for answer in advance :)

I think they took the EXP nerf off of the purple 66x3., but overall, don't worry about it. Just as long as you have relics and set boni, bolster still is just as favorable, or more favorable as "BiS" PvP gear...

Neat guide here, I'm glad someone picked up the pace after I went on my 12-month hiatus. Now that I'm playing the game again, I plan to revamp my original contender guide to make it more in touch with current game mechanics.

Cheers

I recommend moving your guide to a wiki, then we don't have to wrestle with problems of guide owners coming and going.

Because I am kinda tired of trying variants of PvE gear viability, will I be OK in my full min/max brutalizer + 28 purples (operative - medic)?

This is why I hate bolster. I'm fine with the gearing mini-game (i.e. the question "which stat mix is best for my spec and play style?") but I hate the bolster mini-game. I'm hoping that once again folks will post some validated results that show me what PvE gear to use as I'm working towards top tier gear (brutalizer). I don't really care (anymore) if brutalizer is not BiS as long as it is close.

Hi guys,

question about Bolster with 2.7. I used on my PT an old PVP gear to get the set bonus and modified it to 63/69/61. i dont play this alt a lot so not much time to grind for full orboan. Now with 2.7 ill get only 1933 instead of 2018 before. How do i get back to >2000? Is it now 162/150/150 or where is the cap? Or is it just because of main and offhand? Therefore i used 69/63/61. thx f ur help.

Edit: got the brutalizer mainhand and im at 1977. so with the pvp generator it must be >2000 i think.

Edited by McMart

Hi guys,

question about Bolster with 2.7. I used on my PT an old PVP gear to get the set bonus and modified it to 63/69/61. i dont play this alt a lot so not much time to grind for full orboan. Now with 2.7 ill get only 1933 instead of 2018 before. How do i get back to >2000? Is it now 162/150/150 or where is the cap? Or is it just because of main and offhand? Therefore i used 69/63/61. thx f ur help.

Edit: got the brutalizer mainhand and im at 1977. so with the pvp generator it must be >2000 i think.

It's your MH and OH. 2.7 changed those so you wouldn't get Max EXP from bolster, but the irony is your PvE weapons were probably a lot closer to Brute than you probably think.

It's your MH and OH. 2.7 changed those so you wouldn't get Max EXP from bolster, but the irony is your PvE weapons were probably a lot closer to Brute than you probably think.

So, based on posts above and what we know so far, if I have:

Two obroan set bonus pieces,

Two brtualizer relics,

MH/OH obroan

rest conqueror (including the other 2 set bonus pieces)

Then, I should swap my conqueror earpieces and implants for artifact 53 stuff (basic comms schematic vendor), and I should be bolstered to max? (Lets assume for the moment I am not swapping out the MH/OH yet).

Can I afford a drop of 82 or more expertise if I use underworld/verpine-level (item level 72, rating 168) stuff in my MH/OH?

So, based on posts above and what we know so far, if I have:

Two obroan set bonus pieces,

Two brtualizer relics,

MH/OH obroan

rest conqueror (including the other 2 set bonus pieces)

Then, I should swap my conqueror earpieces and implants for artifact 53 stuff (basic comms schematic vendor), and I should be bolstered to max? (Lets assume for the moment I am not swapping out the MH/OH yet).

Can I afford a drop of 82 or more expertise if I use underworld/verpine-level (item level 72, rating 168) stuff in my MH/OH?

Yes up can drop 82 EXP as long as your MH/OH have 69 hilts/armoring or above.

Here is a rundown of what you should be wearing or progressing to wear. More favorable is after the "or", but its not by much...

Crafted 53 or Brute Ear

Crafted 53 or Brute implants

Obroan or Brute Wrists/Belt

Obroan or Brute relics

Obroan/Brute or 72/69/66 MH/OH

Obroan/Brute 2/4 piece set boni.

69/63/61 or 69/66/58 on remaining pieces

Here is a rundown of what you should be wearing or progressing to wear. More favorable is after the "or", but its not by much...

Crafted 53 or Brute Ear

Obroan or Brute relics

For the crafted and mods are we talking purples or blues? or does it not matter?

Crafted 53 or Brute Ear

Obroan or Brute relics

Thanks a lot! Basically, players (like me) transitioning from season 1/pre-update 2.7 to pre-season 2/post-update 2.7 who have residual conqueror gear should replace conqueror gear with crafted 53 purples and 69/66/58 gear (that combo being a little easier to acquire imo than 69/63/61).

Crafted 53 or Brute Ear

Obroan or Brute relics

I prefer my version.

<-- <-- <-- <-- PvP Gear? --> --> --> -->

v . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . v

Lazy? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not Lazy?

v . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . v

v . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . v

Go Home . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Brute BiS

Edited by idnewton

I prefer my version.

Or be BiS or not be BiS. It's up to you.

No flame please. This is a thread about advice and facts. If you want to "not be lazy" and grind inferior stats, be my guest..

Edited by L-RANDLE