Why non-stop alt leveling will fail.

gunsligger

I disagree about nothing to do at level 50, actually it is pretty standard you hit cap, do hard modes (heroics), gear up, raid (normal), raid (heroic) rinse and repeat. If that was all there is I would have quit after the second week - swtor offers an amazing story plus end game content, which guess what? Is going to get better, because new features are going to be implemented.

It is simple really, if you do not like the game, do not play it. Yes there are dead servers, but must say after playing WOW for 6 years, I ran in to a lot of dead servers, also there was not much of end game content in vanilla as well? Remember? Vanilla when you had to grind battle grounds and keep on grinding and grinding, no rated battlegrounds, no arenas. Now compare swtor to that.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the point is, an MMO is not to play alts, and if that is what ends up happening, then its only due to the illusion of an endgame to draw people.

Your opinion is noted. It is not however fact; merely an opinion. I happen to hold a very different opinion - I see no reason why playing alts can't be the focus of an MMO. Also, not everyone loved or loves WoW's endgame model of progression raiding to get successive tiny increases in equipment. You ought to stop assuming that is the only way or the best way to make MMOs; neither is true.

Edited by Aloro

Why would anyone level multiple characters to max?

Well, why would someone spend 100 hours in a raid when they know the next raid'll bring new gear? Why pvp once you get your gear for pvp?

Is it repetitive? Sure, it's repetitive no matter what- because there's no way to make content that casuals will get to see an adequate amount of to be satisfied, while also having enough for those who play 16 hours a day to never run out- not to mention it'd be impossible to make that much content.

Levelling's just another repeat- but at least you can see all 8 stories while only really repeating each 'side' four times- unlike raids which you'll do 30 or 40 times or more for those who alt, do multiple difficulties, etc...

However, the point is, an MMO is not to play alts, and if that is what ends up happening, then its only due to the illusion of an endgame to draw people.

Except that this MMO was designed with the alt player in mind, just like Guild Wars was designed for the casual, non-MMO player in mind. Just because something has a label doesn't mean it can't be different from the norm.

MMO sets a certain expectation. So when BW devs say as an MMO the end game is playing alts, thats 1. not reassuring 2. not what people expect.

So all MMOs should charge a monthly subscription fee? Because, well, that's what we expect from MMOs. There was a lot of information about the game prior to release, the two things that stuck out for me and kept my interest was that:

1) more storybased with differing main quests based on class.

2) replayability based on alt-rolling and the Legacy system.

That's what I expected because when a game is being developed that I might have an interest in playing, I try to learn as much about it as I can to see if it would be the game for me - one that I will enjoy playing and continue playing for years. If players don't do their research beforehand, the difference between expectations and what it actually in the game is not the developers' fault.

1. Not enough Warzones, and no choice to choose

2. No legacy clarification or implementations

3. No Custom U.I.

4. In game voice chat (helps with pvp/raids especially with randoms and you can see which name is speaking in game)

5. Not enough alien races, strange ones, seen in game or playable

6. Day/night cycles

7. NPC movement/routine

8. Event closer to release

9. Mini games (pazaak, swoop racing which is multiplayer)

10. Open world pvp

11. Crafting that did not require people of the same craft to buy and use items.

1) I don't PvP much until after I complete the PvE content I desire in any game, but sure, more is always better, and I do like to be able to have the choice of where I want to play. However, that can also be a drawback as one particular map becomes too popular, leaving the others desolate.

2) Possibly, but considering we don't start with level 50's, saving this type of content until after launch shouldn't be a problem. Players who just want to rush through to max level (skipping the majority of the content to do so, despite dropping at least $60 on the game) is not really the fault of the devs. Is it done in every MMO? Yes, but that doesn't mean this minority of gamer should be catered to when developing a game or a timeline for additional content.

3) Agreed. This should have been a launch feature, no doubt.

4) A nice addition, but by no means not necessary, and should not be required in a game. There are plenty of third party apps that can fulfill this purpose and I rather a game developer spend time and resources developing content, not a communication feature.

5) Future Updates. Could they have done a few at launch? Sure, but then we would have ragers in the forums demanding THEIR favorite race should have been in the game and not the ones chosen. Sometimes, it is OK for developers to hold back things for a future update to give gamers something else to look foward to. Look how long it took WoW to put playable Pandas in the game:rolleyes:

6) By no means necessary or required. Guild Wars worked quite fine without it. I have played other games with it, that adds absolutely nothing to the game play. I personally don't need it. If it was a feature that changed the gameplay and content as it occurs, then that would something interesting to have, but other than that useless, especially when you throw different planets and space ships/stations into the mix.

7) same reasoning as #6. Works better in a single-player game, but I don't need it in my MMO.

8) Uhhmm, isn't the release a big enough event? No need to add anything else until the majority of the playerbase have settled into the game and their playstyle. Again, content should not be developed for the "rusher mentality" player. Guild Wars didn't add new content until 5-6 months after release.

9) Maybe. Again mini-games aren't for everybody and I don't think they are necessary at launch. After all, the point of starting a game is to play through the main content. Side content (not speaking of side quests, which I consider main content) can be saved for later on, again, once the bulk of the playerbase has settled into the main content.

10) Not a main PvPer, but I agree, since this is Republic vs. Empire, Open world PvP and RvR (both on PvP servers, natch) would have been nice to have at launch for the main PvP crowd.

11) Never been much of a crafter myself - usually too much time consumed for my likes to create stuff when I just want to be playing through the story and content.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

• 2 months later...

I want one of every AC but after my BH made 50 i am already bored of the leveling process. And my BH is sitting dead in the water because I am bored of being 50 already. He does dailies maybe once a week and an op or two once a month maybe.

In the process of leveling an IA and will be leveling a repub toon to (hoth? For the hk comp) . But i am so over leveling as its too grindy. Hopefully the lfg tool will spice things up a little as i might actually start playing fp s for the first time.