Clothing Set Not Unlocked - In-Game Support Not Helpful

Nevelyna

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Bug Reports, so if this is not the correct forum, please feel free to move it.

I am in need of some advice.

Nearly a week ago, I purchased the Dust Viper Bandit clothing set on the GTM, and subsequently opened the set and used every piece of the outfit in the outfit designer to stamp a new outfit on my Smuggler. When I did this, the usual popup window verifying if I wanted to bind all of the items to my character showed up, and I accepted. This was not the first time that I have done this on this or other characters. Usually what happens then is that, since all of the items are bound to my character, the outfit unlocks for that character in my collections. (Again, I have used this method many times previously, and about six times since this bug on the same character, and it has worked every time.)

With the Dust Viper Bandit set, however, it did not.

This time, the entire outfit was stamped int the outfit designer and verified to bind to my character, but for some reason, only the head and chest pieces unlocked and counted towards the full collection. Now, this would not be a problem had I kept the rest of the collection in my inventory or noticed the bug right away. Unfortunately, I did not. As soon as all of the pieces were bound and stamped, I destroyed them - since collection outfits can always be swiftly recalled when you want them once the outfit is unlocked - as it SHOULD have been.

I know that since this is a valuable item from the CM, the customer service representatives need to be very careful about unlocking such things for players who just want to say that they have problems in order to get a free unlock. However, since I still have the entire set stamped into an outfit slot, and I could only have done this by binding each and every item to the character, there is proof the the unlock should have happened and did not.

I have already created multiple tickets about this situation over the last week. I initially noticed the problem about (I believe), an hour after it happened and immediately submitted my first ticket. The response I received was that, while the representative realized that this must be frustrating, that since I hadn't used the Main Outfit Slots to bind the outfit to the character, that everything was working as intended, and that I needed to use the main slots to unlock the outfit.

Again, this would not be as frustrating had I kept the outfit items, but since I had thought they were already unlocked, like they usually are, I destroyed them. Rather than paying another half million credits on the GTN for another set for an outfit that should have already been unlocked, I very much wished this resolved fairly.

So, upon receiving this reply, I decided to call in the bug, and was told that, since this was an in-game matter, I needed to submit another ticket. I did so, explaining the situation in even more detail, just as I have expressed it here. I suppose it's my bad luck that the ticket was handled by the same representative, who gave pretty much the exact same response - that since I had used the outfit designer instead of the main slots, nothing was supposed to unlock.

My third ticket, was to ask why, if this was all working "as intended", multiple characters and multiple outfits have used the Outfit Designer to unlock full collection sets with no problems whatsoever - and why the chest and head pieces for this particular outfit would have unlocked if I had only ever used them in the outfit designer along with the rest of the pieces - and never put them into main slots.

Again, the response was from the same representative, stating that while they understood that I just want to fix this issue, and while the outfit designer has worked for other outfits, and while they would love to help me out with this, they can't do anything because "everything is working as intended".

Needless to say, this has gone from frustrating to infuriating. Thus, I would very much like some advice as to how to proceed. Should I just keep putting in tickets, even though they seem to all go to the same representative who obviously has no intention of looking further into the situation. Should I buy the set again even though this should be an easy customer service fix?

I mean, I can provide photographic, time-stamped proof that the entire outfit is "bound" to the character in the outfit designer - as well as proof that subsequent outfits have unlocked the exact same way that this one should have. If this is working "as intended", why is every other outfit I stamp unlocking?

I know this is a bit of a rant, and for that I am sorry, but this is hand-shakingly infuriating to me, and I really need some advice with how to proceed.

I've never heard of it working when you just stamp the pieces in an outfit. I suggest that, in future, to be safe, you actually equip the pieces on your main slots. You only have to equip them briefly - you can switch right back to your "real" armor - and, you can then stamp the pieces in an outfit. Edited by JediQuaker

I've never heard of it working when you just stamp the pieces in an outfit.

This method has worked for me many times. However, unlike the OP, my fears of this happening have kept me from deleting anything that hasn't been account unlocked.

To the OP, I regret that I do not have anything helpful to suggest for a fair resolution. It boggles my mind as to why the CSR cannot see how the items were used for appearance that they could not unlock it for that character. That they say it is "working as intended" sounds more like a cop-out. If the items become bound then that should automatically unlock it for that character.

I never tried it through the outfit designer for fear that it wouldn't take, but after reading this I popped on a new outfit and it worked fine. Opened to collections and allowed me to copy it. I don't understand the issue with CS but it doesn't seem to be an uncommon response from them. I understand your frustration.

I don't know what server you're on but I have this outfit on both Star Forge and Satele Shan if you need another copy. No charge.

Instead of stamping to your appearance on an appearance tab... actually equip all the items in the set. That should solve the issue. This is actually the way the validation for unlock is designed to work. Just because it sometimes works by just stamping is beside the point.. and is more an artifact then intended design.

And... NEVER delete gear items until you have actually confirmed that the gear is recognized as collected. Even when equipping the normal way. Why? because sometimes something goes wrong.. like you forgetting to equip one piece from a set, or any of a number of player mistakes OR actual bugs in game.

While some players report appearance tab stamping works for unlocking (since it should bind the gear item.. to prevent exploiting appearance tabbing on multiple characters with one copy) ... I would bet that it's not actually designed and intended to do so.. so I would fully expect some bugs with that approach. Why? Because the studio has always stated that gear must actually be equipped on a character to unlock it. Best to just follow the protocol.. and it costs you nothing to equip the gear you used to stamp an outfit. Plus.. appearance tabs came into the game way after the normal collections unlocking process.. and there is no signs the studio intended stamping to = Collections unlock.

Open a ticket.. accurately and precisely describe the issue you encountered and ask them to unlock it for you. IF.. you indeed did what you said you did.. they should be able to verify that in the logs and solve it for you. On the other hand.. if you made any mistakes in the process.. and did not realize it.. know that they will point it out and may refuse to do the unlock.... so be polite and mature in your interactions with support and they may do you a favor.. even though the logs might indicate they do not have to. And.. it appears in this case.. you did that.. and they said.. sorry.. working as intended.. you made a mistake... in which case your next step is to politely resubmit and ask for a supervisor to review their determination.. admit the mistake was yours... and ask politely for them to help you get past your mistake. But if you are a pest about it or rude.. don't expect help.. expect a warning not to harass them. If a supervisor review results in another no.. I suggest you let it go and learn from the mistake (we have all been there at one point in time.. making a mistake and unable to get the studio to fix it for us). Pleading with fellow players here in the forum to support your viewpoint won't get your needs met.

Edited by Andryah

I would recommend, rather than asking for the set to be made available for unlock in collections is to ask them to restore your deleted set (assuming you deleted it and didn't sell it to a vendor).

People have had stuff restored to them after being accidentally deleted so if you provide as many details as possible (date/time this happened being most important), hopefully you'll have better luck

I pretty much had the same thing happen. I had equipped a set of gear (directly, not through a stamp though.) I received the text that the outfit had been added to my collections, so I deleted the original. When I checked, it did not, in fact show as unlocked. CS both unlocked it for me in collections and restored the set I had deleted. When you write your next ticket, stress the part about receiving the text staying the items were bound to you and that the outfit was added to your collection.

I would recommend, rather than asking for the set to be made available for unlock in collections is to ask them to restore your deleted set (assuming you deleted it and didn't sell it to a vendor).

People have had stuff restored to them after being accidentally deleted so if you provide as many details as possible (date/time this happened being most important), hopefully you'll have better luck

^^ sage advice.

Being CM gear.. it cannot be sold to a vendor.. only destroyed.. and the logs would show that you destroyed the gear as claimed by the OP.

Personally, given that there can always be a bug in an MMO.. I never immediately delete gear I equipped for the CM unlock. I store it until I have actually confirmed the unlock.

Edited by Andryah