Serious Tharan Cedrax romance, anyone?

Yermog

So I have to say that I don't particularly like playing Jedi Consular. It might just be me, but the FemCon's voice sounds really dull and emotionless. I didn't enjoy her character until Tharan came along. Then instead of sounding bored, she sounded more exasperated and calm compared to Tharan's constant dramatic-ness. It was actually pretty funny, and when there was a flirt option, I immediately jumped all over that. And then came the punchline.

He chose a computer-holo girl over my Consular. I was pissed, let me just say. I like him a lot better than Iresso, because he makes the bland Consular seem more animated, and Iresso just doesn't do it for me.

I know a lot of people would like to see him as a gay romance option as well, and I like that, too. But I really hope that in a future expansion they let him be a serious romance, because that would rock. Am I the only one who's hoping this comes along, or is everyone happy with Iresso and just a friendship with Tharan?

Edited by Yermog

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have to say that I don't really like playing Jedi Consular. It might just be me, but the FemCon's voice sounds really dull and emotionless. I didn't really like playing her until Tharan came along. Then instead of sounding bored, she sounded more exasperated and calm compared to Tharan's constant dramatic-ness. It was actually pretty funny, and when there was a flirt option, I immediately jumped all over that. And then came the punchline.

He chose a computer-holo girl over my Consular. I was pissed, let me just say. I like him a lot better than Iresso, because he makes the bland Consular seem more animated, and Iresso just doesn't do it for me.

I know a lot of people would like to see him as a gay romance option as well, and I like that, too. But I really hope that in a future expansion they let him be a serious romance, because that would rock. Am I the only one who's hoping this comes along, or is everyone happy with Iresso and just a friendship with Tharan?

Although I agree with your assessment, I also believe it was intentional. I'm on my 2nd Consular right now, this one being male and knowing the person behind the voice acting, Nolan North, he sounds almost like another person entirely, having in mind the roles he's known for. Some hate this approach, others like... I, at the moment, got used to it already.

Concerning Tharan, I'm happy my female Consular got the deed with Iresso. Although he's the stereotypical republic soldier, fighting for freedom and equality, at least he's basically alright and bearable, while Tharan is just obnoxious in my book.

Agreed that Iresso is a completely terrible romance option.

He's pleasant and inoffensive as a disposable random companion character, but when I realized he was my romance option, I was like... ugh, god no.

And, true to expectations, his "romance" was the flattest, blandest thing I've ever experienced. The sudden jumps to constant declarations of "I love you" after a few flings on the ship also creeped the crap out of me.

Dark Side threesomes with Theran and Holiday would definitely help spice up the vanilla ice-milk Consular plot, too.

Edited by SW_display_name

Agreed that Iresso is a completely terrible romance option.

He's pleasant and inoffensive as a disposable random companion character, but when I realized he was my romance option, I was like... ugh, god no.

I mean, I don't hate the guy or anything. He's a pleasant guy, as you say, but I feel like the romance between him and the consular was founded mostly on boredom. "Well, nothing better to do. Might as well flirt with Iresso."

It was surprising because the other romances are all really different, and except for a few issues, they're pretty well done. Doc's struggle with his growing love for the Knight vs his love of freedom, for example. I think Iresso had potential, but I have a feeling that his was handled last and by that time the writers were sick of the romances.

Just my theory on that. Tharan's would have been much more dramatic, as he cares deeply for Holiday... but she's not real. The consular is real. I really wish they had him struggle with that in a romance. Like, a real romance, not a one night stand type thing.

Just my theory on that. Tharan's would have been much more dramatic, as he cares deeply for Holiday... but she's not real. The consular is real. I really wish they had him struggle with that in a romance. Like, a real romance, not a one night stand type thing.
Exactly. Theran is the most interesting thing in the Consular plot by a long kilometer, and the twisted knots of romancing him would have made for a great plot.

Iresso is exactly like you say — "Well, I'm here, you're here, we're biologically compatible, guess we may as well get to it. Oh, look, Tobas Grell prepared homemade frogurt! That crazy guy! Oh, by the way, I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you."

The Consular ship is like an NBC sitcom. :(

Well, TBH I'd rather have my female Consular romance Zenith, of the bunch. :p My first Consular was male, and having done all the conversations for Iresso, I found him rather uninteresting. Not a bad guy or anything, just not what I would hope for as a romantic foil for the prone-to-blandness Consular. Needless to say, my girl Consular will remain single.

With Tharan, it seems to me that they clearly designed him to be NOT fully romanceable with the way his story played out, so I can't see that changing. I did find him rather endearing, and can see the potential there, though personally I wouldn't be interested in him becoming a full romance option unless Bioware decided to open up Companions for full romance en masse (Pierce, LS Jaesa, Talos, Zenith, Sgt. Rusk, etc). Otherwise, one somewhat lecherous male medic romance option is enough for the poor Jedi ladies! xD

Well, TBH I'd rather have my female Consular romance Zenith, of the bunch. :p My first Consular was male, and having done all the conversations for Iresso, I found him rather uninteresting. Not a bad guy or anything, just not what I would hope for as a romantic foil for the prone-to-blandness Consular. Needless to say, my girl Consular will remain single.

With Tharan, it seems to me that they clearly designed him to be NOT fully romanceable with the way his story played out, so I can't see that changing. I did find him rather endearing, and can see the potential there, though personally I wouldn't be interested in him becoming a full romance option unless Bioware decided to open up Companions for full romance en masse (Pierce, LS Jaesa, Talos, Zenith, Sgt. Rusk, etc). Otherwise, one somewhat lecherous male medic romance option is enough for the poor Jedi ladies! xD

OMG ZENITH. YES. COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT HIM.

Now that would be interesting. Since he seems to lean more towards the Dark Side in his quests, it would be even more of a battle for the Consular to keep herself grounded while not falling too far. He'd be a Dark Sided romance I think.

As far as all the companions being romancable, I can see why they don't do that. Some characters, like Rusk IMO, are too one minded to think about romance and love. Some of the characters, it's just not for them.

I would like to see in the future new romances open up if you aren't locked into one already. IE, like if you aren't married, Theran or Zenith or who have you ask why you're still single and you can start a romance with them. Or if they actually implement a divorce plot like one staffer said in an interview, different people become available.

As far as all the companions being romancable, I can see why they don't do that. Some characters, like Rusk IMO, are too one minded to think about romance and love. Some of the characters, it's just not for them.

I would like to see in the future new romances open up if you aren't locked into one already. IE, like if you aren't married, Theran or Zenith or who have you ask why you're still single and you can start a romance with them. Or if they actually implement a divorce plot like one staffer said in an interview, different people become available.

I definitely see your point about all the (human-ish) Companions being romanceable! I don't actually "know" all the ones I mentioned, just pulling ones off the top of my head that were human-ish. I suppose it is a sore spot of mine that every single biologically female Companion is potentially available to romance (including a vengeful Mandalorian and a grieving young Padawan), but there are quite a few male Companions that you'd think would be good romance options but are not written as romanceable or even having a mindset that would work for romance. "Sorry ladies, you can't romance that one because of reasons! that we wrote! on purpose!" :p But there's a whole lot more to that topic and I won't get into it here. ;)

A lot of lost potential with some like Tharan and Zenith, though. Would be neat if they someday added at least a few romance options, like you mentioned would be awesome.

I definitely see your point about all the (human-ish) Companions being romanceable! I don't actually "know" all the ones I mentioned, just pulling ones off the top of my head that were human-ish. I suppose it is a sore spot of mine that every single biologically female Companion is potentially available to romance (including a vengeful Mandalorian and a grieving young Padawan), but there are quite a few male Companions that you'd think would be good romance options but are not written as romanceable or even having a mindset that would work for romance. "Sorry ladies, you can't romance that one because of reasons! that we wrote! on purpose!" :p But there's a whole lot more to that topic and I won't get into it here. ;)

A lot of lost potential with some like Tharan and Zenith, though. Would be neat if they someday added at least a few romance options, like you mentioned would be awesome.

I understand that frustration. Yeah, most male characters get more romance options than girls do, it's true. But I don't mind so much myself because all of the female romances (with the exception of Iresso) are done very well. Making all the male companions romancable is just not a good plan, especially since some of them are, to put it lightly, insane. Some people have a little bit of a torch for Khem Val, the force-eating, Sith killing Deshade you pick up on Korriban as a SI. The big issue with this is that he wants to EAT THE INQUISITOR. And not in the fun way, ifyouknowwhatImean. ;)

Oh, I totally agree, especially since there are so many more human-ish male Companions that females. :) I've never considered ones like Khem to be human-ish though. *shudders*

Ones like Tharan are much more reasonable to wish for!

My ds sage would very much like to make sure Holiday had a little accident and then comfort Tharan. :p He's on my top three of favourite companions, funny and interesting guy, and being a little selfish on top of that just makes the character more interesting. But they probably aren't going to change it, a lot of trouble just to make 1 companion romacable. But if they do, I'l definitely love it.

I understand that frustration. Yeah, most male characters get more romance options than girls do, it's true. But I don't mind so much myself because all of the female romances (with the exception of Iresso) are done very well. Making all the male companions romancable is just not a good plan, especially since some of them are, to put it lightly, insane. Some people have a little bit of a torch for Khem Val, the force-eating, Sith killing Deshade you pick up on Korriban as a SI. The big issue with this is that he wants to EAT THE INQUISITOR. And not in the fun way, ifyouknowwhatImean. ;)

Let's not forget the awful Corso.

I actually liked Corso, I thought he was sweet, the way that he wanted to take care of the Smuggler, even though she didn't need it. He's just an old fashioned gentleman, and I think what they were going for in that romance was a femSmug who lived a rather hard life suddenly had a really good guy just wanting her to be happy without asking anything in return. I mean, I could see how he's irritating for some, but I thought he was just adorable.

But yes, even if you didn't like him or Iresso, that's still 6 out of 8 romances that are enjoyable and seem to fit for almost everyone.

I just think that for a virtually flat consular (emotionally, that is) Theran, a drama king, would suit her well. They'd balance each other out much better than Iresso and she do.

I like Corso. In an era of storytelling where cheesy heros are completely out-of-favor in preference to "deep" characters with "edgy", "realistic" personalities, it's refreshing to find a good old-fashion honey-baked self-righteous country boy.

I mean yes, he is a completely annoying doofus. But that's why he's awesome — he knows that, and he doesn't care, because he actually just downright believes that being righteous is the right thing to do. He's a great foil to the Smuggler.

Even if Corso read all these forum posts ranting about him, he'd just frown and insist he's doing the right thing. You've got to respect conviction like that.

I think what they tried to do was make romances, both mail and female, foils or sort of opposites to the characters. They probably did this to make the romances more interesting, like, Andronikus Revel wanting no authority and just being free to roam, but he falls for a Sith tied to the Empire that arrested him. Oh, the irony.

But Iresso just didn't succeed in this for me. He's sweet, and that's it. It's not even like the Consular is mean, which makes it even more pointless. Both the consular and Iresso feel like cardboard to me. It just doesn't work.

I support the idea of serious Tharan C. romance wholeheartedly.

Not only he is more complex character personality-wise, in contrary to Iresso, but he also has all the foundation for development and growing.

Like his disbelief and disapproval of Force (which has already been mentioned above) and way of life absolutely contradicting to that of a Jedi.

Simple 'understanding and accepting' in private life, which is Iresso's story in my view, is not quite enough for such a diplomat like Consular. She needs to turn some scientist unbeliever on her side. Or just show him that there is more to life than some -biology.

And after all, I, for example, created my Shadow's personality in a most contradictory but respectable way for Mr. Cedrax to be interested in (and so that I could write fanfiction about them :D ).

Sorry for the messy post though.

I like Corso. In an era of storytelling where cheesy heros are completely out-of-favor in preference to "deep" characters with "edgy", "realistic" personalities, it's refreshing to find a good old-fashion honey-baked self-righteous country boy.

I mean yes, he is a completely annoying doofus. But that's why he's awesome — he knows that, and he doesn't care, because he actually just downright believes that being righteous is the right thing to do. He's a great foil to the Smuggler.

Even if Corso read all these forum posts ranting about him, he'd just frown and insist he's doing the right thing. You've got to respect conviction like that.

I enjoy Corso as a character, I just could not find him enjoyable as a romance option.

So I have to say that I don't particularly like playing Jedi Consular. It might just be me, but the FemCon's voice sounds really dull and emotionless. I didn't enjoy her character until Tharan came along. Then instead of sounding bored, she sounded more exasperated and calm compared to Tharan's constant dramatic-ness. It was actually pretty funny, and when there was a flirt option, I immediately jumped all over that. And then came the punchline.

Agreed with this and especially with what's in bold.

But well, you know what all of this in bold makes the female Jedi Consular sound? Like a Jedi Consular.

So... No problem there. In fact, good work by part of the voice actress. The Jedi Consular is a calm and collected person. You expected her voice to show any different?

The Jedi Knight should sound the same way by that logic, but s/he clearly had plenty of personality when s/he speaks. I would find it odd then that one group of Jedi are supposed to have all the personality of a goldfish while the other can be as animated as they please. I don't believe the Jedi teach that you should cut off all facets of your personality. I find myself disliking the consular because its like they're Vulcans or something. It's nigh impossible for me to grow attached to her at all, which is not good when you're stuck with that character for however long you play.

The Jedi Knight should sound the same way by that logic, but s/he clearly had plenty of personality when s/he speaks. I would find it odd then that one group of Jedi are supposed to have all the personality of a goldfish while the other can be as animated as they please. I don't believe the Jedi teach that you should cut off all facets of your personality. I find myself disliking the consular because its like they're Vulcans or something. It's nigh impossible for me to grow attached to her at all, which is not good when you're stuck with that character for however long you play.

I'd say it's less the way the Jedi teach you to be (and therefore the JK failing), but really, just how the Consular was written to be. Which of course leaves her as the others, love her or hate her, though it does feel many hate her.

It not so much that I hate her as it is that I really don't feel anything at all when I play her. That may be the biggest failing. The story line isn't bad, the companions, even Iresso, are tolerable, but it's like the Consular is apathetic because you never get a glimpse of what s/he really wants. I'm not sure if they get more emotional if they're DS, but as LS, there's little in the way of speech to let you think that they, as a person, has an opinion outside of "This is good, this is bad, this is illogical," type thing.

Which is why I think Iresso was a poor choice for Consular Romance. If it's DS to have a real romance because it causes a dangerous variety of emotion, then it should show in the Consular's actions, at least involving him. Iresso just doesn't do that. Doesn't challenge or compliment the Consular's differences and beliefs like Tharan or Zenith do.

Edited by Yermog

• 1 year later...

I put a suggestion box idea to have cartel coin STORY options! I get so bored of my 55 char sometimes, I'd certainly pay for an expansion adventure to romance or adventure the different companions.

At first I hated Tharan, maybe I was jealous, but I dressed him in the girliest clothes I could find lol. Now, he's my favorite, and like everyone said the story line fell flat with Iresso

PLEASE "like" my post in the suggestion box if you want more story options :) (posting new one since I can't find the link :(

I mean, I don't hate the guy or anything. He's a pleasant guy, as you say, but I feel like the romance between him and the consular was founded mostly on boredom. "Well, nothing better to do. Might as well flirt with Iresso."

It was surprising because the other romances are all really different, and except for a few issues, they're pretty well done. Doc's struggle with his growing love for the Knight vs his love of freedom, for example. I think Iresso had potential, but I have a feeling that his was handled last and by that time the writers were sick of the romances.

Why do you say that bolded part? Because she's an AI? I guess that must mean that all our droid companions aren't real either.

Tharan just isn't that into you.

He has a relationship with Holliday, and odd as that is, it matters to him. She's clearly sentient so... If you had a relationship with him, you'd be a jedi homewreaker.

Personally, I like it when not all characters are available to everyone. It makes your character more human and the companions less slaves to your perfection. That's why I much preferred the romances in DA:Origins to DA2, where everyone and their pet hampster loved you.

I haven't done the Iresso romance so I'm willing to abide by the general consensus that it's a tad dull, but if they were to add another romance (which (a) they won't and (b) they wouldn't anyway unless they added a new male and female to each class), Zenith would be a better choice.

It's much more likely that they'll add romances in expansions in the manner of Makb, probably one size fits all and shallow, unless they ever get around to class stories in which character development of existing companions with new dialogue and the addition of real new companions (unlike treek or hk) might be possible.

Some classes just aren't lucky in love, lol. Both my agent and inquisitor wanted nothing to do with their companions romantically.

If they ever were to add romances to exiting stories, the only one I'd really be interested in playing would be one with Lord Scourge,

assuming his state of being could be somehow corrected. I mean, this is a guy who hasn't felt anything in 300 years, let alone experienced passion, and is surprisingly poetic when he discusses that fact.

Put that together with the fact that he's a sith and you're a jedi.... Now THAT would be interesting!

Edited by errant_knight

I think Consular crew has the most wasted romantic potential. I really like Iresso, and would have gladly romanced him with my Knight. Iresso is a rare female RI who deals with his own problems, his dialogues are natural, very life-like and his letters are among the best writing in the whole game. His main problem is that his backstory remained behind the scenes. It is actually superb, but we never get to learn what it is exactly that he carries within him, and his FTB quest could have been much more fun if it was acted out.

Having said that, I am Zenith' girl though, through and through, the match is so perfect it is absolutely baffling it was overlooked! A diplomat and a politician, the best looking male in the whole game, the voice, the maturity, the growing, the build-up of trust... amazing... WHY NOT ZENITH?! WHY? Ah, well, my Consular got the kissing animations from Iressso, then ran back to Zenith for the whole soul friend thing.

Basically, the only romance I want in the whole game is the one with Zenith. The rest are just there, and I will go through them and enjoy or get frustrated, but Zenith would have been exactly my thing where digital loving is concerned.

Ideally, Tharan's more comprehensive relationship and a romantic conflict with Zenith would have been nice (they can't stand each other as is). But I do not see Tharan as an ideal choice, because he duplicates Doc in many ways, and he is far too narcistic for a consummated romance. Holiday is his ideal match, she is the right girl for him. I think, Bio actually did well here. Now, Holiday as a RO for a male consular, and a conflict with Tharan, I would get behind that!

EDIT: Then again, the only romance that Bio supplied that I have seen so far that fits with my idea of how it should be handled was Numen Brock. In other words, romancing while adventuring, not being locked on the ship for a bit of a far too boring dialogue (Let's go on a date.... Really? In SWTOR? Next to high adventure?!) What I want is the whole high passion sweeping through as the ground burns around, the animated scenes against the gorgeous backgrounds! Hey, why can't I have a kissing scene with Riggs against Nar Shaddaa landing background with all the gorgeous lights?! Why can't my Consular kneel in the snow to heal Iresso's wounds tenderly? Why doesn't Mara get a cutscene where she stands back to back with Pierce on Taris, preparing for the final charge? Why not a single male I went through Alderaan with stops to pluck a snowdrop for my character as we enjoy the coming of spring there?

Where is the high romance like that? Where are the emotional highs? Where is the integration of the environment into the romantic story-line?! Why do I always get to kissing on the bridge of my ship? And not even that is cast in any kind of fun light. A galaxy map as a backdrop is Okay once or twice, but every time?

Edited by DomiSotto