Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

GalnarDegana

I was pretty vehemently opposed to SS for a while, because so much of it is mitigated, but I have been honestly very surprised at the stopping power of it recently. It is still very viable in PvP after the buffs in 1.2.1 hit all of the SS skills (Aimed Shot, Charged Burst, QuickDRAW :D (see, I got the right one that time lol), Trickshot, and Speed Shot.)

I still prefer Sab, and I might try that spec you just linked, because I have been wanting to try a hybrid spec. I have been thinking about this one too:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0bRobZGbbkrMhd.1

because it gives me Wounding Shots, but I just adore Sabotage, so I might give yours a shot too and see which one i like better.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty vehemently opposed to SS for a while, because so much of it is mitigated, but I have been honestly very surprised at the stopping power of it recently. It is still very viable in PvP after the buffs in 1.2.1 hit all of the SS skills (Aimed Shot, Charged Burst, QuickDRAW :D (see, I got the right one that time lol), Trickshot, and Speed Shot.)

I still prefer Sab, and I might try that spec you just linked, because I have been wanting to try a hybrid spec. I have been thinking about this one too:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0bRobZGbbkrMhd.1

because it gives me Wounding Shots, but I just adore Sabotage, so I might give yours a shot too and see which one i like better.

When you compare my hbrid to your's you will notice that I completeley avoided wounding shots.

Reason is that speedshot deals the same or even more DMG.

You can look it up in the posts I made about the dmg numbers with the parser.

Also speedshot has 5 less energy costs but 5 secs more cd. -> makes energy management easier

So you get 3 more points you can spex into other skills which put into shock charge slow and sabotage.

This way I have a good and long slow and another tool to bust and regenerate energy.

But still I actually aimed for a SS / Sab hybrid but always had the feeling to miss something important in either of them.

What are your character stats atm?

Edited by Riiquiem

Time for a 1.3 revamp!!!

This is a great guide, and has helped me tremendously. i run SS, specifically your 31/5/5 build. I do exclusively PvE, and am starting to run Denova HM runs.

I was curious as to your take on how to best spec for hm ops in the post 1.3 world for someone who like and uses the 31/5/5 build.

Time for a 1.3 revamp!!!

This is a great guide, and has helped me tremendously. i run SS, specifically your 31/5/5 build. I do exclusively PvE, and am starting to run Denova HM runs.

I was curious as to your take on how to best spec for hm ops in the post 1.3 world for someone who like and uses the 31/5/5 build.

There is no reason to change anything just because 2 skills have changed their positions... the 31 talent is still viable tho its changes.

loved reading this thread, just re-subbed for 1.3 and it has been very helpful.

i was just wondering which spec in PVP (sab or DF) is better at:

1v1 fights

burning down healers

taking out tanks

in my (very limited) experience, i think it's sab, DF, DF respectively. what do you guys think?

loved reading this thread, just re-subbed for 1.3 and it has been very helpful.

i was just wondering which spec in PVP (sab or DF) is better at:

1v1 fights

burning down healers

taking out tanks

in my (very limited) experience, i think it's sab, DF, DF respectively. what do you guys think?

I am going to update this very soon for 1.3.

I will say that I think the best way to kill healers right now is with burst damage, because they aren't really having problems dealing with DoTs. Surprise them, and they die. For that reason, Sharpshooter is the best for dealing with healers, IMHO.

Tanks are more difficult, though I feel like you do that DF is better suited, simply because internal and elemental damage affects everyone equally, regardless of shielding or armor.

Best 1v1 is still really Sab, like you said, but I actually feel pretty strong in 1v1s in all of the specs right now. I feel like we are at a good place. Vanguards and Powertechs are still outbursting us, which feels wrong, but we are in a good place.

Well I still refuse to spec into SS, I'm running with 0/21/20 atm

like this

Somehow I don't feel the energy costs to be that high like I remember.

First off, nice thread guys, very constructive.

I'm returning to the game after a 2 month break (working away), and picking up my lvl 26 GS for some fun. Looking at your build above what is your rotation like? Thanks in advance. Going to try out a few specs over the next few days to get a feel for it again.

First off, nice thread guys, very constructive.

I'm returning to the game after a 2 month break (working away), and picking up my lvl 26 GS for some fun. Looking at your build above what is your rotation like? Thanks in advance. Going to try out a few specs over the next few days to get a feel for it again.

duh... vital shot, shrap bomb, shock charge, sab charge, speed shot and maybe sabotage if required.

since you don't have to build up your DOTs as requirement for wounding shots it actually doesn't matter.

When using all of the above you can melt a target in seconds. Tho keep in mind that it's quite energyconsuming.

I've already posted some things about hybrid specs like that earlier in this thread but I'm too lazy to search for it right now.

Good luck^^

duh... vital shot, shrap bomb, shock charge, sab charge, speed shot and maybe sabotage if required.

since you don't have to build up your DOTs as requirement for wounding shots it actually doesn't matter.

When using all of the above you can melt a target in seconds. Tho keep in mind that it's quite energyconsuming.

Good luck^^

Thanks for the prompt post. I'm only level 27 with all points invested in DF at this point. Available to me at this point is Vital Shot, Shrap Bomb & Sab Charge. After that I've been using Aimed Shot or Charged Burst if possible. Finishing with Quickdraw. At least I get Flourish Shot at lvl 28.

Enjoying the class though, having come from a Guardian.

I've already posted some things about hybrid specs like that earlier in this thread but I'm too lazy to search for it right now.

Good luck^^

Req;

When are you putting up a vid? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What are your recommendations as far as stats go?

Noxxic has the priority as:

Cunning >= Accuracy (110%) > Surge (75%) > Power > Crit (30%) > Alacrity

Do you agree with this or suggest something else.

Also, would it be better to go with the Campaign gear that you can buy with Classic Comms, or the new Artifact gear that doesn't have a set bonus?

What are your recommendations as far as stats go?

Noxxic has the priority as:

Cunning >= Accuracy (110%) > Surge (75%) > Power > Crit (30%) > Alacrity

Do you agree with this or suggest something else.

Also, would it be better to go with the Campaign gear that you can buy with Classic Comms, or the new Artifact gear that doesn't have a set bonus?

Ah, gearing. I am not a PvE person, and with Bolster so unpredictably jacked-up, it is difficult for me to tell. But I will give my best guess, based on the knowledge of the stats and the class.

Since we have a +9% in Cunning from Streetwise, it is definitely top priority. If you don't take Streetwise, then prioritize Power over Cunning.

Basically, my strategy is to opt for mods that have more of the other stats than they do Cunning. This is quite doable by getting the mods that are named with the convention "Artful Mod 30" instead of "Artful Mod 30A" or "Artful Mod 30B." Get your crit to 30% (35% with Smuggler buff), surge to 75%, and accuracy to 110%. Then you stack Cunning augments and build in more Power if given the choice between that and more Crit. Power and Cunning don't have diminishing returns right now.

You may also find that as you add more cunning, you can back off of the crit, and introduce more power.

Again, I could be slightly off on some of this, so consult with your raid leader and see what s/he thinks.

I would definitely get whatever level 55 purples you can. The set bonus is not worth as much generally, and you can still keep the set bonus if you just have to have it by leaving it in the shell and replacing everything but the armoring. The artifact level purples from the Basic vendor and the hard-mode flashpoint drops are better than the Campaign gear from the Classic vendor.

• 2 months later...
The Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion brought a new skill at level 51 called Hightail It/Covered Escape. This skill is a 18m roll in the direction of your camera that deposits you in Cover at the end. While rolling, you have 100% chance to dodge incoming attacks. Each of the three specs buffs this skill differently.

Direction your character is facing. I've had it roll me different directions than my camera's orientation multiple times.

Just noticed this post. Before I go and offer suggestions, what's your parse for PvE (If your build is better than no need for suggestions right)? And what stat allocations do you have to achieve that number.

Direction your character is facing. I've had it roll me different directions than my camera's orientation multiple times.

Just noticed this post. Before I go and offer suggestions, what's your parse for PvE (If your build is better than no need for suggestions right)? And what stat allocations do you have to achieve that number.

I'll double check, it could be that I was in cover, so I might have been "looking" with my right mouse turn, but the character doesn't move so I didn't notice.

Here is my situation with PvE and parsing. Really, I don't do much of either. I know that the builds I use work for Flashpoints and up to Hard Mode Operations, but I don't even have the gear to get top DPS for Nightmare modes.. I do have Partisan/Conqueror gear, but parses are definitely not indicative of PvP performance, and "rotations" aren't as useful as "priorities" because of changing situations. Also, utility is more useful than pure DPS. Burst is also supremely important over consistent DPS.

If you have a suggestion, go for it! I added a bunch of stuff from a guy who was an expert in Dirty Fighting before it was obsolete in 2.0! I like this thread because it has been some really good discussion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I realize a lot of work went into the faq and I am appreciate it greatly. Once I finish my Mara storyline I'm going to be a gunslinger and the faq made everything clear for me so thanks.

Glad to hear it! You'll love the smuggler storyline. Definitely the best one-liners in the entire game!

• 4 months later...

Do not click the above link. It is SWTOR referral program fraud.

Also I want to take this time to alert everyone of a forum rule. Due to the possible "trick" nature of using your referral link to trick someone into unintentionally becoming your referral, we are not allowing use of your referral links here on the forums until this issue is resolved. Whether that is being honest about what the link is, or trying to hide it, it will be removed. Any egregious breach of this rule can result in infraction points.

• 11 months later...