Request for general crew skill and crafting improvements....

LordArtemis

These are some general changes I would like to see for crafting.

1) Addition of 8 hour "epic" missions for gathering materials.

2) Addition of a "shuffle" button in the crew mission display list to cause new missions to display, or at least set up the list to populate all missions available.

3) Crafting boost - consumable buff sold by an NPC vendor that add 5 percent to crafting/mission results/efficiency across the board, last for 1 hour. 25k each.

4) Ability to que up to 8 items for crafting instead of just 5...there still should be plenty of inventory space, even with the possibility of crits.

5) Ability to hide certain learned schematics from view if desired.

6) Allow all consumables to stack to 99.

7) Containers that we can craft that will hold materials, holding 10 stacks (990 pieces) of one material in deep storage (treat them like armor containers, you right click to open them and the container is destroyed when you empty it). Containers would be bound and would require 10 stacks to use (once you open it you have to use it, fill it, or it is destroyed).

8) Add some way to be able to tell if something can be RE'd in the crafting list. As it is now, the only way to tell is to craft the item and then hover the RE tool over it. It would be useful if we could tell if the item can be RE'd before it is made.

Also, the following....and note that a few items may be repeated from my list above.

Bio and Scav can gather and harvest...but not Arch..

I think that it might be time to rethink how Archeology is set up with respect to gathering. Right now Bio and Scav can both grab resource spawns and harvest mobs, for Bio it's silver and up animals, Scav it's silver and up bots. Of course, both also have gathering missions.

Archeology has gathering resource spawns and missions....but no mobs to harvest.

I was thinking that Archeology could harvest humanoid silvers and above, perhaps for their crystals they have in their equipment and weapons, and archeology items they may have looted from their surroundings. So Arch could get crystals and fragments from all humanoid silvers and above.

The other option might be to simply increase the amount of materials that Archeology spawns to match the gathering capability of the others, or simply increase the amount of resource spawns.

The final move option might be to reduce the amount of materials needed for synthweaving and artifice crafting...perhaps cut it in half.

What do you think is wrong with crafting, if anything?

First, and most important IMO, all craftable armor needs to have an upper tier added that is orange adaptive and empty. And I mean every piece...every armor, every weapon....all equipment. Also, each and every piece of equipment that drops in the world and can be looted EXCEPT for end game armor from FPs, Ops, PVP and Heroics should be able to be reverse engineered by specific professions and have a chance to get an orange adaptable version as a schematic.

Next, I suggest the following.....

I will not list Biochem because that seems to have some teeth, but it's the only profession that appears to have any traction in this game. Some of the suggestions are trade window requests...in this case you would add a mechanic that would allow a player to place an item in the trade window to be boosted, sliced or converted, the other player can do the deed, and then only accept the trade once a tip is applied.

The other option is to allow players to simply convert any piece of armor to a schematic for a identical empty slot Orange adaptable gear item.

Armormech

I would suggest you allow Armormechs to convert any piece of heavy or medium gear to empty slot Orange gear. They would be able to do this in a trade window OR just convert armor and post it on the GTN. Can also repair heavy or medium armor, and strengthen armor to resist damage ( Called Reinforce, makes armor impervious to damage, only medium or heavy armor, one hour resistance, no damage even in death).

Armstech

This profession would benefit from the ability to modify weapons (with the exception of lightsabers) with temporary boosts to output, an ability called Overdrive. The effect would last for, say, one hour, and would increase damage output by 10 percent. Boost would not work in PVP. Again, allow the boost to be applied in a trade window. They could also install dye slots in weapons.

Artifice

I would ask that you allow this trade to temporarily boost lightsabers in the same manner that Armstech can boost other weapons, and also the ability to permanently modify crystals to add a small boost to its current stats. 1 percent, always at least one point. Same trade window ability. Can also install dye slots in crystals that can hold primary or secondary dye sets, and manufacture dyes that can be used permanently, but ONLY IN CRAFTED CRYSTALS. They would crystal only dyes, but would not be destroyed when you remove them.

Cybertech

This trade would benefit from the ability to modify/boost mods of all types, 1 percent, always at least one point. In the case where more than one stat is available the application is random. This would be a permanent modification and would bind the mod to the person that is getting it modified...IE, after this it can not be sold. I would also suggest that they be allowed to set a piece of armor to allow mod extraction one time with no cost. They would enable the free extraction in the window, and then the player would have 1 hour to remove the mods for free...after that the cost resets to normal.

Synthweaving

I would like to see synthweaving allowed to convert any piece of light gear to empty slot Orange gear. They would also, like Armormechs, be able to do this in a trade window OR just convert armor and post it on the GTN. Can also repair light armor, and fortify armor to resist damage (only light armor, one hour resistance, no damage even in death).

Now for the gathering and odd skills.

Archeology - Ability to boost relics, 1 percent, at least one point.

Bioanalysis - Give boost to health regen rate, in combat and out, 5 percent and 25 percent respectively, and instant full health self-revive buff, good for 24 hours, one 24 hour use. Not usable in PVP or during combat.

Scavenging - Ability to boost gathering rate by increasing gathering results for one hour (25 percent).

Slicing - Ability to slice any weapon or armor to increase stats. Slice can provide from 1 to 10 percent boost to ALL stats, armor becomes bound, slice will fail if armor drops below 50 percent condition. 1% chance to slice to one higher quality item, also 1% chance to slice the item to 100% damage condition. In the latter state the item is treated as if it has received enough damage to have no condition left, and must be fully repaired.

Treasure Hunting - Ability to boost potential loot quality for one hour. Increased chance to get higher quality drops from general mobs, does not include bosses or FP/Operations/Heroics, nor mission rewards. Will also boost the credit payout of slicing missions and credits gained from slicing world boxes and opening chests.

Underworld Trading - Ability to gain a 10 percent boost in payout from all items sold to vendors, and a 10 percent cut in costs to purchase items and train for one hour. Also a boost to credit payout from standard missions for one hour as well as increased "luck" chance when engaging in gambling activities and/or events in game (has no effect on need/greed roll chance).

Diplomacy - Ability to boost dark or light side payout by 10 percent for one hour, 5 percent XP boost for one hour. Boosts do not apply to FP/Operations but do apply to missions.

I would like to add a few suggestions to change how crafting works. I have already suggested legacy perks to reduce crafting time and/or increase critical results so I will not list those items here.

I would like to suggest that you allow us to "reroll" our random mission selections in the window when we do not like what is being offered. This would make running missions much less painful, since we would not need to run lower missions just to get the box cleared so it will offer better missions (one would hope) when the crew returns.

Allow all professions to build crates that can hold 10 identical items (stacks of food, stims, meds, crafted equipment) or a full set of armor. This would allow us to reverse engineer more than one item at a time, and also allow us to store and sell large amounts of items at once.

I've been thinking about this for a while....what ways would work, if any, to boost crafting speed and critical chance. I suppose one could run the normal gambit...perhaps buffs, or clothing that would help. But I think that's pretty tired. We do have affection and items we can install in our ship droids...and that is good. But I think more can be done.

I'd like to look at help from legacy and perhaps in game locations.

First, how about a helping hand from legacy?

Legacy based crafting boosts - Unlocks that can be purchased, at certain legacy levels, that can improve crafting time, amount of queued crafted items, amount of crew members that can craft, and critical chance. I would suggest four unlocks. The benefit of the unlock would increase as affection increases.

1) Crafter level 1 - Ability to craft up to 1/3/5 additional items per crew member in crafting que based on affection level.

2) Crafter level 2 - Reduces crafting time by 10/25/50 percent based on affection level.

3) Crafter level 3 - Increases critical chance by 10/20/40 percent for blue items, 5/10/20 percent for purple items based on affection level.

4) Crafter level 4 - You are allowed to send out or engage in crafting 1/2/3 additional crew members (must always have one available crew member that is idle)

Each unlock level requires a 20/35/50 legacy level in order to be able to unlock the item. All require a minimum of 400 in crafting in at least one crafting profession or gathering skill AND each level requires a character level of 10/20/30/40.

Now, how about in game locations? I was wondering if the usefulness of workstations, as well as certain areas in the world may be used to give natural crafting boosts....

Workstation - reduces the crafting material requirement by 50 percent.

Workstation on Home planet - Provides a 25 percent reduction in crafting time in addition to normal workstation bonus.

Workstation on Fleet station - Provides a 5 percent boost to critical chance across the board, in addition to normal home planet and workstation bonus.

This would give folks that have interest in "hands on" crafting, especially when trying to grind out blue or purple schems a bit of a boost depending on where they are located.

Remember, I left out Biochem because that profession doesn't seem to need any help.

Thanks for reading.

Now, that is by no means an all inclusive list. I am sure there are many more folks out there with better ideas than my own.

Thanks for reading. Sorry about the wall of text.

Edited by LordArtemis

#2 has been asked for so many times, and there has never been an official response. That being said, switching between strongholds is the fastest option yet, and it has been noticed that the list does refresh itself pretty quickly (within five minutes). I would not hold my breath for anything else.

Suggestions 1, 3, and 4 would be GREAT for an individual to have access to, but looking at them from a more global vantage, the game economy assumes that during normal daylight hours (when most players are at work and school) and overnight (when most players sleep) the production of materials and crafted goods goes down. 1, 3, and 4, would reduce the effect of that assumption. Again more supply without a corresponding increase in demand would result in lower value. NOT what most crafters want.

On suggestions 5 through 8 I am with you. These would all be good QoL improvements

As to all your suggestions regarding boosts for taking particular crew skills, I say no to all. Here’s the thing: crew skills have been moving away from “required” since launch. All of your suggestions would put crew skills back into being a “requirement.” With the changes to Biochem and Cybertech (no more reusables) the stance is clear: BW does not want any player to feel that any crew skill is required. Your suggestion goes against that stance.

As to your suggestion regarding armor and weapons being able to be REed into orange adaptive options…I hate to say it, but a LOT of the CM designs stem from static stat armor and weapons. Your suggestion would bite into the profitability of the game. So don’t hold your breath.

#2 has been asked for so many times, and there has never been an official response. That being said, switching between strongholds is the fastest option yet, and it has been noticed that the list does refresh itself pretty quickly (within five minutes). I would not hold my breath for anything else.

Suggestions 1, 3, and 4 would be GREAT for an individual to have access to, but looking at them from a more global vantage, the game economy assumes that during normal daylight hours (when most players are at work and school) and overnight (when most players sleep) the production of materials and crafted goods goes down. 1, 3, and 4, would reduce the effect of that assumption. Again more supply without a corresponding increase in demand would result in lower value. NOT what most crafters want.

On suggestions 5 through 8 I am with you. These would all be good QoL improvements

As to all your suggestions regarding boosts for taking particular crew skills, I say no to all. Here’s the thing: crew skills have been moving away from “required” since launch. All of your suggestions would put crew skills back into being a “requirement.” With the changes to Biochem and Cybertech (no more reusables) the stance is clear: BW does not want any player to feel that any crew skill is required. Your suggestion goes against that stance.

As to your suggestion regarding armor and weapons being able to be REed into orange adaptive options…I hate to say it, but a LOT of the CM designs stem from static stat armor and weapons. Your suggestion would bite into the profitability of the game. So don’t hold your breath.

Fair enough on all points. And thanks for the feedback.

I would love to have a "favorites" page where I could add the specific schematics that I wanted to that page (or remove them from it).

Sort of like the suggested #5, but instead of "hiding" certain items (how would you be able to reference what you had hidden, or "un-hide" it later?) you just have a new page. Everything not selected for that page then becomes "hidden" in that sense.

Edited by Mithros

As an alternative to Number 5 and the favorites page (which I both like)

Collapsed schematics list when opening the crafting window AND visiting the crew skill trainer?

I think completionists and lower end computers would love BW for having to load the categories list at first and then loading the 100+ schematics in the selected category (instead of everything at once...and you only wanted an augmentation kit from the bottom of the list).

OR

Option to unlearn schematics for a nominal ingame fee?

Let's be honest, if it isn't modifiable or endgame stuff (and you're not a completionist), chances are you only learned it to level your crafting skill of choice. With rising skill levels, this list of schematics you'll never use again will only keep growing.

So why not have the option to unlearn a schematic for 10% of its training fee in credits (amount is for example), including all blueprints RE'd from this specific schematic? Also, money sink.

Edited by Leiryat

#5 is probably the most common good suggestion in this forum, and deserves a thread of it's own.

#2 is a common variant of the most common suggestion in this forum, and has already had *many* threads about it; no need to discuss it further here.

*Buried in unreadable almost spoiler text: Archaeology mats from mobs -- again, this has already been discussed [better, may I add] in several threads -- harvesting Jedi/Sith is (I believe) the most popular suggestion

As to everything else: NO! You propose changes, but you don't appear to have spent any time analyzing what the current situation is, attempting to quantify or qualify how the changes would benefit players, or attempting to quantify or analyze negative impacts that your changes would have to the game.

Furthermore, many of your suggestions suggest that you aren't trying to *improve* the system, but rather trying to get it to be some other game (like ESO) that you'd rather play except for the fact that it isn't Star Wars.

#5 is probably the most common good suggestion in this forum, and deserves a thread of it's own.

#2 is a common variant of the most common suggestion in this forum, and has already had *many* threads about it; no need to discuss it further here.

*Buried in unreadable almost spoiler text: Archaeology mats from mobs -- again, this has already been discussed [better, may I add] in several threads -- harvesting Jedi/Sith is (I believe) the most popular suggestion

As to everything else: NO! You propose changes, but you don't appear to have spent any time analyzing what the current situation is, attempting to quantify or qualify how the changes would benefit players, or attempting to quantify or analyze negative impacts that your changes would have to the game.

Furthermore, many of your suggestions suggest that you aren't trying to *improve* the system, but rather trying to get it to be some other game (like ESO) that you'd rather play except for the fact that it isn't Star Wars.

Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback.