Stat wise, do they all even out?

Vashiel

I'll be upfront with it, I'm a min/maxer. I'm planning on rolling an Operative for DPS. That being said, I'm currently torn between Biochem and Cybertech. I know both get individual BoP exclusives, but my question is this: does one skill give more stats than the other? Or do they both add up to the same stat extras and the only difference is the accessory type items? Edited by Vashiel

I believe the general perk to biochem are reusable flask type items, and cybertech gets reusable grenades. so how the grenade damage compares to your stat boost from the flasks...that's a hell of alot of number crunching. In reguards to bop epic cybertech earpieces vs biochem implants, they probably even out Edited by Drediker

Yes, they all even out statwise.

Too lazy to find the source for you, but the gist of it is:

Crew skills only grant you a faster and/or cheaper access to stat advantages. The only exclusive perks are of a cosmetic nature.

E.g. Biochem grants you access to implants sooner and makes buff-consumables cheaper (reusable).

Non-Biochem-people still get the same implants via drops or the gtn and can use buff-consumables of the same power, but they are going to cost them more, because they are consumed instead of reusable.

Same goes for other crafting skills.

Cosmetic perks are unique-looking BoP armours for Synthweavers, Cybertech-only mounts, etc. -they'll look different, but have the same stats as the BoE stuff.

Long story short - it is not like WoW (i.e. better Alch flasks, better gems for JC). From a min/maxing perspective it is all the same really.

You should base your decision on economic or aesthetic reasons.

Hope this clears things up for you, coming from WoW myself, it took me a while to get this.

Edit: Regarding the above poster - there is no numbercrunching involved at all. Cybertechs and Biochemists both get the same statboost from their stims, only difference being, that the Biochemist has an unlimited supply (=saving credits). Vice versa for the grenades - both can use them, but the Cybertech dude has an unlimited supply (=saving credits). Also, both will have access to earpieces of the same level - but the Cybertech will get them sooner.

Edited by wtfnonamefree

I would have to say if your primary concern is max dps and not utility, you are going to want to go with Biochem. You will want to have the best stims running all the time, and w/o it that could get expensive.

I also find it hard to believe that the crafted mods are going to be better then the operation drops, so at some point with cybertech all you will be left with is the grenades.

All of the Grenades, aside from the fire dot one, are utility debuffs and will not max your dps (could drop it, actually). As for the fire one, the only time it could be better DPS than your abilities is when you are out of energy, but with the CD on them, I can't see that being much help.

Yes, they all even out statwise.

Too lazy to find the source for you, but the gist of it is:

Crew skills only grant you a faster and/or cheaper access to stat advantages. The only exclusive perks are of a cosmetic nature.

E.g. Biochem grants you access to implants sooner and makes buff-consumables cheaper (reusable).

Non-Biochem-people still get the same implants via drops or the gtn and can use buff-consumables of the same power, but they are going to cost them more, because they are consumed instead of reusable.

Same goes for other crafting skills.

Cosmetic perks are unique-looking BoP armours for Synthweavers, Cybertech-only mounts, etc. -they'll look different, but have the same stats as the BoE stuff.

Long story short - it is not like WoW (i.e. better Alch flasks, better gems for JC). From a min/maxing perspective it is all the same really.

You should base your decision on economic or aesthetic reasons.

Hope this clears things up for you, coming from WoW myself, it took me a while to get this.

Edit: Regarding the above poster - there is no numbercrunching involved at all. Cybertechs and Biochemists both get the same statboost from their stims, only difference being, that the Biochemist has an unlimited supply (=saving credits). Vice versa for the grenades - both can use them, but the Cybertech dude has an unlimited supply (=saving credits). Also, both will have access to earpieces of the same level - but the Cybertech will get them sooner.

Great response! So you're sure that it all evens out in the end then? I'm really wanting to roll Cybertech but I was afraid by not going Biochem I'd be missing out on DPS aids.

Great response! So you're sure that it all evens out in the end then? I'm really wanting to roll Cybertech but I was afraid by not going Biochem I'd be missing out on DPS aids.

Yeah, I am sure - just go for Cybertech, there is virtually no mistake one can do in choosing the crafting skill (apart from force/nonforce).

Edited by wtfnonamefree

according to torhead.com - schematic-List, Biochem is the way to go

All exclusive lev 50 Biochem BoP Stims, Adrenals and Medpacks are better than these people without biochem can use.... I think thats the point of concern.

Implants and so on - will be replaced by better operation gear, as alle the other crew-skill only purples of the other crewskills ...but the stims and andrenals will be always better...

....which makes biochem the only good endgame crewskills at the moment, unless they implement somethink like BoP Mods for the other crewskills

Edited by Esmeraldia

fortitude Stim:

green:

http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/1304/hyper_battle_fortitude_stim/

BoE:

http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/456/exotech_fortitude_stim/

BoP:

http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/2099/rakata_fortitude_stim/

BoP > BoE > Green

and thats with all Biochem Stims/Adrenals/Medpacks

...unless Darthhater is wrong

Edited by Esmeraldia

The major advantage of Biochem is that you can use the items whenever if you have the reuseable version.

When solo questing you won't spend $$$ to keep up a stim at all time, nor would you activate a 15 sec buff at every other combat. It would be simply WAY too expensive.

When raiding when everyone uses the consumables the buff will be relatively small (although even there using the 15 sec buff potions continuously will very likely be crippling in costs, so unless you have biotech it likely own't be used that often).

The tl'dr gist of it is that "Biotech saves money" is true, but does not show the whole picture. You could in theory "emulate" biotech with money, but it would cost so much that you likely need several 24/7 personal gold farmers to support it.

The major advantage of Biochem is that you can use the items whenever if you have the reuseable version.

thats one point ..

..more valuable I think, is the fact that after some operation Tiers where all BoP Items of all craftskills will be replaced by operation-gear - only Biochems better Stims/Adrenals/Medpacks will be still better - so in the end - only biochem will provide better stats ..at the moment.....and thats my main-concern too

thats one point ..

..more valuable I think, is the fact that after some operation Tiers where all BoP Items of all craftskills will be replaced by operation-gear - only Biochems better Stims/Adrenals/Medpacks will be still better - so in the end - only biochem will provide better stats ..at the moment.....and thats my main-concern too

The stat boost benefit from the biochem items is minimal really. It's 10-15 stat points, that is at 50 not really much.

I.e. take

http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/456/exotech_fortitude_stim/

vs

http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/2099/rakata_fortitude_stim/

8 Endurance and 4 Defence. Woop-de-doo. It's nice, but...

Take the adrenals:

http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/749/rakata_attack_adrenal/

http://db.darthhater.com/recipes/217/exotech_attack_adrenal/

+47 vs +45 power averaged over 3 minutes.

I have no idea how hard those are to make, but the mats certainly do not look cheap. Unless those are very easy to make in large amounts it will give Biochem crafters a huge HUGE boost over any other crafters even if every BOP of them has the same boost as the consumables.

The better boost is nice and can be a reason for min/maxers to get it. But the effect of the reusable nature of the 15 sec boost potions is stronger than the generally better boost by at least an order of magnitude. It is IMO from a crafting skill balance viewpoint a game breaking issue.

Also, it is by no means sure that the other professions BOP items will be eventually replaced by operation drops. Nothing stops them from introducing crew skill schematics with better stats in operations.

I'll be upfront with it, I'm a min/maxer. I'm planning on rolling an Operative for DPS. That being said, I'm currently torn between Biochem and Cybertech. I know both get individual BoP exclusives, but my question is this: does one skill give more stats than the other? Or do they both add up to the same stat extras and the only difference is the accessory type items?

To my knowledge, all classes in most MMOs get their power-per-level based off of their default balance which is usually at maximum level (and then fractioned, in SWTOR into 50 fractions, since the level cap is 50).

In plain english, this means that all level 50 characters in SWTOR have roughly X power output (plus/minus minor imbalances) within a matrix system that then draws a curve diagram (that shows the intended power output per level) backwards down to level 1.

Ok, maybe not plain english after all LOL. Trying to explain advanced math in english when I'm not english myself, is FAIL :D

Edited by Zoroth

I'm actually quite interested in this point. I'm going to roll a Jedi Guardian, but I want my armor/apparel to look as minimalist as possible.

Is taking Syntheweaving as a crafting skill going to be the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

I think there might be a missing point here, when you RE gear there is a chance to get a better version of it.

So I would assume even having epic op gear you could RE it for a chance to discover a legendary or whatever version of it and I thought I read that these types of discovery are BOP or you have to have the skill to wear it which is pretty common with alot of the skills.

Which is a nice change of pace from other MMO's so you can have the best pot's in game but you won't have the best weapon or armor or earpiece.

Edited by Yadad