Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Sent/Mara Combat/Carnage tweaks

I_LUV_CHICKN

In my experience after the whole changes of playing my combat sentinel for 4+ years now after 5.6.1 changes to how precision works. Clipping was one of the reasons that combat sents were able to maintain a higher overall dps/parsing with every other class, including its sibling specs. Unfortunately, this was seen as an opportunity for some and a lost opportunity for most for overall higher numbers whether in operations or training dummies, which was true. That aside, after the changes of precision from 3 seconds of a window to 2-3 stacks (dependent on zen/berserk active). this greatly limited our overall damage output, making this a giant nerf, as precision/gore is our bread and butter to maintaining high numbers, let alone simply causing high damage.

I don't claim to be the greatest of my spec, but neither am i anywhere close to mediocre. My highest parse pre-5.6.1 patch was close to 10.2k on a 1.5 mil dummy (debuffs added). after the patch and even increase of better augments later on, I struggle to hit 9.8k, averaging around 9.5-9.7k expending much more effort in trying I'd arguably say than before than. Is this bad DPS? I'd say no, but that aside, the differences from other classes and specs who hit 10.5k+ still, even concentration, is something to raise to question. What could be done to tweak this class to be in line again with them? People may be comfortable with a now 10 second window that provides stacks, but ultimately theres a lost potential from before.

Here's what I'd propose to bring back in allignment to othe classes. Add a bonus to Zen/beserk than in turns adds a bonus to precision window. Although Combat is not a dot class, i felt the small addition to blade barrage as a dot before they moved it to concentration, was nice. I like the idea of Zen making precision cause burn damage for x amount of damage for every stack consumed. It would be a smaller number, nothing that makes it close to watchmens potential of dots, but dots nonetheless. This would provide the class with higher maintained damage, while still keeping in line with its current state. dots in my opinion for this class wouldn't make sense for people, but neither the state of its current self, being its a melee class.

I feel theres othey ways like editing crit bonus perhaps, but let me know your guys feedback and if you feel combat/carnage is lacking after the patch and since then with even new augments.

One other suggestion I’d say instead of dots, would be to simply bring back 4 stacks with current build while zen/berserk is active and 3 stacks for when not active. This would essentially make it similar to how it peformed before then for those who already mastered the class, while at same time making the learning curve easier for those still understanding how the best potential rotation works. I see no way this would make it overperform, even when new augments are released, since other classes will similarly increase in effectiveness likewise regardless. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, I'd personally rather see more of a return of skill to the spec tbh. Prior to 3.0 when the spec was extremely heavy on rng, it took a lot of skill and practice to make the rotations and dps checks work regardless of weather your execute and/or slaughter procs were benefiting or hindering you. When 3.0 came around, BW started simplifying many of the combat systems of the game, taking almost all the rng out of rotations and getting rid of the whole skill tree system. With clipping, there was still a level of skill involved as your timing and execution had to be fairly precise to squeeze the most out of the spec. Now with the stack-based system, Carnage/combat is is a much more simplified and almost static rotation, with only a small amount of variance here and there.

Could Carnage use a small buff? Sure, but honestly nothing major. It still performs well in short burst phases in operations and can meet all the checks. The main problem I see is fury performing so over-the-top. I understand it's meant to be a "quasi-burst" spec and as such, should be higher dps than Carnage, but the overall simplicity of the rotation makes me a firm believer that it should only be 100-200 dps above Carnage at most. I feel a nerf to fury and having some level of skill return to rotations would be the best imo.

Edited by WiththeForc

• 2 weeks later...
I know there are a lot different approaches for the rotation regarding Carnage/Combat Maras now you said you hit only 9.7-9.8k now. I can tell you it is possible to reach higher 9.9k to 10k+ but it is a lot harder than before that is true.

• 4 weeks later...
One other suggestion I’d say instead of dots, would be to simply bring back 4 stacks with current build while zen/berserk is active and 3 stacks for when not active. This would essentially make it similar to how it peformed before then for those who already mastered the class, while at same time making the learning curve easier for those still understanding how the best potential rotation works. I see no way this would make it overperform, even when new augments are released, since other classes will similarly increase in effectiveness likewise regardless. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

That would be broken. It would simply mean you'd have the damage output you had before the nerf but without the skillcheck and without a damage loss in delay.