fyi -- "matchmaking" doesnt exist anymore

RACATW

title

it's back to same old -- highest rated , matched many to many.

doesn't care if you're 1 or 2, or 3 etc, it'll put you against 4 good players if it can in regs. and sr is same old.

Edited by RACATW

title

it's back to same old -- highest rated , matched many to many.

doesn't care if you're 1 or 2, or 3 etc, it'll put you against 4 good players if it can in regs. and sr is same old.

Did it ever change? Only thing we have had is anecdotal evidence based on poeple's personal experiences that was felt, not even studied or kept track of. I seriously don't think anything changed at all regarding matchmaking in regs.

• 2 weeks later...

There is some form of matchmaking now.

Most of the time the distribution of healers and tanks will be somewhat even. It may not be perfect, because you could have an odd number of healers in the queue which means one team is going to get an extra, but I have not been in a match since matchmaking went into effect where for example all three healers in the queue ended on the same team and the other got none.

All the healers being stacked onto a single team used to be a common occurrence. In the past you were either steamrolling over some hapless team with no healing or guard, or you'd be on that team with no healing and guard and the best you could hope for, unless they were flat out terrible, was not giving them a three cap.

I do wonder however if there is some hidden ELO that the matchmaking system uses. When there is an odd number of healers (lets stick with 3) I seem to always land on the team with one healer instead of two if I queue on a DPS that I've been playing for a long time and usually top a leaderboard with.

That gets a bit frustrating if you get several matches in a row like that, because even if you win most of them, they tend to be parsing dummy matches where the top number of killing blows is in the single digits.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

With the current design, it cannot work to even matches up. This is because it doesn't split up premades. So every war you do not have a premade on either team the matchmaker does ok, every other war matchmaker is absolutely and totally meaningless.

But the good news for you is, this problem is no where nearly as bad in ground PvP as it is with GSF. In GSF all you need is to have the 4 best players that are too afraid to split their group into two teams of two, and they'll be guarenteed a 100% win rate, breaking the reasoning behind matchmaker all together, making the war no fun for either side, and meaningless to be a part of at all.

Edited by Stellarcrusade

Solo ranked has changed. There are like 2 people at the same time in queue with more than 1500 rating. So tell me how mm can put ''high rated players'' together. All good players and not even only the good players stucking between 1200 and 1400 rating on their toons. Nobody can climb because it has changed.. Just facts. Everybody that says different is a liar.

Like I said it does work but only when certain conditions are met if they aren't it prioritizes queue times over team balance also backfilling ignores match making so say if you get a balanced team before the match starts it will just fill the spot with the person who has been in queue for longer regardless of team balance.

I’ve been playing a lot of lowbies and Mids to lvl up some new Alts because I’ve not played the classes for over 2 years.

At the times I play, I only ever get arena. There are only a small number of us in the queue so we are nearly always in the same game together. All us lowbie lvlers, pretty much play at the same time each day and we recognise each other straight away.

I can’t make sense of what I’m seeing.

A lot of the time there are 2-4 of us in the queue that dominate everyone else. I’m usually one or two. But more often than not, all of the good players are on the same team and all the bad guys are on the other.

This can happen for 5 matches in a row and the other team gets decimated as soon as we engage them. It’s not fun for them or us then I get put with them for one match, which we may lose and then I’m back with all the good players again.

I’ve a very high win ratio to loss. I know a lot of these guys have a very high loss to win ratio, but I hardly ever get put with them. I usually smash the scoreboard in a massive way compared to most on the other team. I got 2 solos the other night while my team held back and let me start the fight. I was 5.5k dps that game,

Usually the only time I lose matches is when we have a rage quitter or someone doesn’t pop. Even when we only get 3 and they get 4, I mostly win matches. 3 good players or even 2 good players against 4 bad players will often mean a win for the good players.

Match making on gear isn’t even a thing in lowbies because we all get bolstered to 242. I’m still wearing my lvl 10 green Mods, armor, enhancements, hilt. So it’s not gear based.

The only matchmaking I’m seeing is with healers and tanks. That actually seems to work really well as far as splitting them apart. It there are 2 healers and 2 tanks in the queue, we get a healer tank each. If there is 2 healers, we get one each, if there is 1 healer and 1 tanks, one side gets one each.

That part of the system seems good. What’s not good is when it puts the good healer with the good tank and the good dps against the bad healer, the bad tank and the bad dps.

Player levels arent considered either. Since when do 4 players between 10 and 20 have a chance against 4 players between 25-40? Especially if the higher lvl players are all good ones and the lvl 10, 12 and 15 are all new.

I’m getting 10-20 matches a day in lowbies until they completely die. Then I move to lvl 70 and the matchmaking seems even worse.

What ever this hidden skill metric is, it is broken or nonexistent. Considering it’s like this in lowbies, which should be the easiest to balance around if it’s based on wins and losses only or scoreboard or skill, it can only be more broken at lvl 70.

The other thing I’ve noticed at lvl 70 is if you get into a pop rotation with multiple healers, it won’t restrict how many are in the teams. I had a match the other night with 6 healers in it and 2 tanks. It was a total farce, I broke the pop rotation by waiting 5 mins to queue and didn’t see another healer for 5 matches.

The system should know there are x amount of healers, either in the queue or in matches and then make teams based around that. If someone needs to wait a few extra minutes or misses a pop so there are 2 healers in the next match, so be it.

As much as I hated the old system, at least the randomness of it allowed more good matches than bad.

IMO, Bioware should revert all dps back to the old random, non balanced matchmaking and just keep evening out the healer tank matchmaking like it’s doing.

Edited by Totemdancer

I’ve been playing a lot of lowbies and Mids to lvl up some new Alts because I’ve not played the classes for over 2 years.

At the times I play, I only ever get arena. There are only a small number of us in the queue so we are nearly always in the same game together. All us lowbie lvlers, pretty much play at the same time each day and we recognise each other straight away.

I can’t make sense of what I’m seeing.

A lot of the time there are 2-4 of us in the queue that dominate everyone else. I’m usually one or two. But more often than not, all of the good players are on the same team and all the bad guys are on the other.

This can happen for 5 matches in a row and the other team gets decimated as soon as we engage them. It’s not fun for them or us then I get put with them for one match, which we may lose and then I’m back with all the good players again.

I’ve a very high win ratio to loss. I know a lot of these guys have a very high loss to win ratio, but I hardly ever get put with them. I usually smash the scoreboard in a massive way compared to most on the other team. I got 2 solos the other night while my team held back and let me start the fight. I was 5.5k dps that game,

Usually the only time I lose matches is when we have a rage quitter or someone doesn’t pop. Even when we only get 3 and they get 4, I mostly win matches. 3 good players or even 2 good players against 4 bad players will often mean a win for the good players.

Match making on gear isn’t even a thing in lowbies because we all get bolstered to 242. I’m still wearing my lvl 10 green Mods, armor, enhancements, hilt. So it’s not gear based.

The only matchmaking I’m seeing is with healers and tanks. That actually seems to work really well as far as splitting them apart. It there are 2 healers and 2 tanks in the queue, we get a healer tank each. If there is 2 healers, we get one each, if there is 1 healer and 1 tanks, one side gets one each.

That part of the system seems good. What’s not good is when it puts the good healer with the good tank and the good dps against the bad healer, the bad tank and the bad dps.

Player levels arent considered either. Since when do 4 players between 10 and 20 have a chance against 4 players between 25-40? Especially if the higher lvl players are all good ones and the lvl 10, 12 and 15 are all new.

I’m getting 10-20 matches a day in lowbies until they completely die. Then I move to lvl 70 and the matchmaking seems even worse.

What ever this hidden skill metric is, it is broken or nonexistent. Considering it’s like this in lowbies, which should be the easiest to balance around if it’s based on wins and losses only or scoreboard or skill, it can only be more broken at lvl 70.

The other thing I’ve noticed at lvl 70 is if you get into a pop rotation with multiple healers, it won’t restrict how many are in the teams. I had a match the other night with 6 healers in it and 2 tanks. It was a total farce, I broke the pop rotation by waiting 5 mins to queue and didn’t see another healer for 5 matches.

The system should know there are x amount of healers, either in the queue or in matches and then make teams based around that. If someone needs to wait a few extra minutes or misses a pop so there are 2 healers in the next match, so be it.

As much as I hated the old system, at least the randomness of it allowed more good matches than bad.

IMO, Bioware should revert all dps back to the old random, non balanced matchmaking and just keep evening out the healer tank matchmaking like it’s doing.

What you are experiencing is the old system as I have explained the match making algorithm only is in effect when certain conditions are met if the queue pool is too small it makes teams based on how long they have been in queue and doesn't take into consideration any match making rules in cases or proper populations in the queues with enough tanks and healers in said queues the algorithm works properly.

What you are experiencing is the old system as I have explained the match making algorithm only is in effect when certain conditions are met if the queue pool is too small it makes teams based on how long they have been in queue and doesn't take into consideration any match making rules in cases or proper populations in the queues with enough tanks and healers in said queues the algorithm works properly.

I’ve seen similar issues at lvl 70 in prime times. So unless there aren’t enough people at prime time, then it’s not working then either.

I *think*, when you see two and three people when you zone in [and have a full team] than leave again just before start, because the match is started/starting, if one team is full and the other has only 6, they fill the spots as fast as possible, not taking role into account because 8 vs 6 is probably a slaughter anyway so better to have equal numbers even if at the cost of the role balance algorithm. - It's just a theory of course.

I see people do it all the time and it's down right fishy in it's frequency and manner.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I *think*, when you see two and three people when you zone in [and have a full team] than leave again just before start, because the match is started/starting, if one team is full and the other has only 6, they fill the spots as fast as possible, not taking role into account because 8 vs 6 is probably a slaughter anyway so better to have equal numbers even if at the cost of the role balance algorithm. - It's just a theory of course.

I see people do it all the time and it's down right fishy in it's frequency and manner.

It’s totally possible people are trying to manipulate which team they are on,

I know it happens in lowbies and Mids when we are only popping 3 each team. Someone will leave and requeue to get on the other team.

I’m even guilty of doing it to get away from being on sides with trolls who are dragging out matches for no reason. (Usually stealths).

Or people that are on my team abusing others for not being good (it is lowbies :rolleyes:). So I’ll switch sides if I can just so I can decimate them and hopefully teach them a lesson,

One thing that’s really annoying in lowbies and Mids is when it pops 3-4 side teams of exactly the same people for a few hours instead of just making 3-3 sides and rotating someone out of the next match next time we queue.

• 3 weeks later...

When it first came out, I thought matchmaking was great, but lately I've been seeing a surprising amount of uneven games, even in prime time with multiple games going, with for example 3 healers on one team and 0 on the other, or 3-player group on one team and full low-geared pug on the other etc.

Maybe something needs to be improved upon the matchmaking system? Even if there aren't many players queuing at a given time, it should be possible to avoid placing 3 healers on one team and 0 on other? And, I don't know if there is any matchmaking check for backfilling, but shouldn't it at least try to backfill to fit the missing roles?

Edited by Neulwen