PvP Related Items from the Q&A

CharterMonkKent

Q. What plans for Ilum or reboot world PvP? We have lots of interesting plans for PvP, we havn’t forgotten about PvP.

A. There is a thing we can’t really talk about that is coming up February – March. We will revisit Ilum but it is not going to be a full reboot. We are going to shake up Ilum a little bit, and it is going to be more than just PvP.

Q. Ever escalating gear spiral, any plans for horizontal progress?

A. For us we want to keep the gap between entry players and top tier players under control. That is important for both PvP and PvE (i.e. raid guild recruiting). We will be doing a redesign somewhere between gear spiral and horizontal flat progression.

Q. Any plans for separate warzones for non elite WH players

A. we are adjusting the queuing system to better pair elite WH players with elite WH players. That is coming up in the future and no ETA. We want most of the differentiation from player skills and not from gear.

Copy & Pasted directly from Dulfy's post of rough notes found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=564137

Q. What plans for Ilum or reboot world PvP? We have lots of interesting plans for PvP, we havn’t forgotten about PvP.

A. There is a thing we can’t really talk about that is coming up February – March. We will revisit Ilum but it is not going to be a full reboot. We are going to shake up Ilum a little bit, and it is going to be more than just PvP.

"More than just pvp" in conjunction with "not a full reboot" sounds like Ilum not sucking for 2 weeks because of an event, then going right back to being an empty wasteland.

"More than just pvp" in conjunction with "not a full reboot" sounds like Ilum not sucking for 2 weeks because of an event, then going right back to being an empty wasteland.

Yeah, something about how he phrased it bothers me too. PvP is what it is I guess.

This is consistent with Gabe Amantalego's(sp?) estimate for the Ilum reboot. Sounds fun. Looking forward to Ilum Strikes Back.

Q. Any plans for separate warzones for non elite WH players

A. we are adjusting the queuing system to better pair elite WH players with elite WH players. That is coming up in the future and no ETA. We want most of the differentiation from player skills and not from gear.

Sounds like a Matchmaking System...

This is consistent with Gabe Amantalego's(sp?) estimate for the Ilum reboot. Sounds fun. Looking forward to Ilum Strikes Back.

Sounds like a Matchmaking System...

This might be enough to get me to resub. I still want to log in for some swtor, but I simply can't tolerate terrible players anymore. RWZ were meant to be a fix, but current balance has so badly narrowed the viable class list, it requires concessions I'm not willing to make. Regular warzones give enough space to experiment with specs, relaxes the skill requirement that I can group with people I like, but wouldnt want in a RWZ.

Unfortunately, the current wave players are impressively awful at pvp. And they killed it for me more than anything else.

Here's to hoping

Matchmaking system? That might be good.

World pvp coming back? In any form this would be absolutely awesome- I'm wary since they've promised a lot of things that have been pushed back again and again and still don't look any closer... but if we see world pvp again in Feb/March that alone would be great for pvp.

This might be enough to get me to resub. I still want to log in for some swtor, but I simply can't tolerate terrible players anymore. RWZ were meant to be a fix, but current balance has so badly narrowed the viable class list, it requires concessions I'm not willing to make. Regular warzones give enough space to experiment with specs, relaxes the skill requirement that I can group with people I like, but wouldnt want in a RWZ.

Unfortunately, the current wave players are impressively awful at pvp. And they killed it for me more than anything else.

Here's to hoping

The matchmaking system certainly won't be able to tell who is a terrible player or not. Just who is wearing certain gear which anyone can obtain, terrible or not.

I've argued for a long time even a basic matchmaking system would be hugely beneficial. It's just no fun going from blow out to blow out, on either side.

Please, Bioware, take note of one thing: don't let people play games with gear. Don't let them queue with one set and play with another after entering the wz. Maybe the system should just track the highest gear level EVER worn by a toon for match making purposes, which would make the entire coding process much simpler as well.

The matchmaking system certainly won't be able to tell who is a terrible player or not. Just who is wearing certain gear which anyone can obtain, terrible or not.

You're right about that. But folks in pve gear, who are dipping their toes in pvp, or hit the queue button by mistake will be excluded. That's something, at least. For clarification, I don't care if people in a regular warzone are pros or not. Just so long as they try, which is more than most of the pugs lately.

Edited by Sowwy

I've argued for a long time even a basic matchmaking system would be hugely beneficial. It's just no fun going from blow out to blow out, on either side.

Please, Bioware, take note of one thing: don't let people play games with gear. Don't let them queue with one set and play with another after entering the wz. Maybe the system should just track the highest gear level EVER worn by a toon for match making purposes, which would make the entire coding process much simpler as well.

im sure they have thought of that. it wont be just based on the gear you are wearing. probably based on what gear you have in your inventory also. maybe even on valor level as well.

im sure they have thought of that. it wont be just based on the gear you are wearing. probably based on what gear you have in your inventory also. maybe even on valor level as well.

They may try to balance by using expertise as a medium. Perhaps lvls of expertise for matching.

1200+

1000-1199

0-999

To make this happen only gear with expertise could be used in WZs. Which would adjust min/maxing down some. Which could also help close the gear gap.

I think valor makes more sense than expertise... especially with the min/max differences with different AC's. Expertise could go many different ways, valor wouldn't be perfect but it would at least give an idea of experience... even though we all know experience does not equal skill in this game... it still makes more sense than expertise in my opinion.

Also... expertise could be exploited much like a twink in lowbie. I would not be surprised to see people running 1199 expertise as a poor example and being min/max'd to the gills... just for the advantage. Can't do that with valor.

We shall see...

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I think valor makes more sense than expertise... especially with the min/max differences with different AC's. Expertise could go many different ways, valor wouldn't be perfect but it would at least give an idea of experience... even though we all know experience does not equal skill in this game... it still makes more sense than expertise in my opinion.

Also... expertise could be exploited much like a twink in lowbie. I would not be surprised to see people running 1199 expertise as a poor example and being min/max'd to the gills... just for the advantage. Can't do that with valor.

We shall see...

Valor for entire legacy would work but not per toon. My valor over my legacy is probably over 600 :) There are also Valor boost stims now. Which would skew it quite a bit.