New to MMOs, need help :)

-Germ-

Hi :)

I currently have a Level 32 Jedi Guardian which is my main and only character. I am fairly new to MMOs. Prior to 1.2, I had put all my points in Focus but after looking at all the threads and talking to people it seems it is not as good as before. Should I continue with the Focus tree or should I re-spec to Vigilance/Vigilance hybrids? My main focus is on DPS in PVP.

Another question I have is, should I put all the points I can in one tree and then start putting in the other one? I have yet to see a build with full points in one tree. Any particular reason for this?

Last question. Can I be a DPS and have the ability to be kind of a tank as well? Basically, doing more damage than typical tanks and having more survivability than typical DPS Guardians. Can anyone show me builds that might suit this criteria?

Thanks for any suggestions. Some of the stuff might sound quite noobish without me realizing it :). Sorry about that.

Edited by -Germ-

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Germ!

You and I started around the same time, though I'm coming to this as somewhat of an MMO veteran.

I'll address some of your concerns here.

As far as builds go, I advise that you build the way you like, initially. Try things out, have fun with it. If you find ways to make it work like a wookie in a woodshop, great! If it starts to cause you dissatisfaction,hit the skill trainer to reset your points. You can do so once per week for free.

My main is a 34 Guardian, and I seem to build mostly toward my main goal with a bit of monomania, and then go back and get the 'extra' talents later. The order you do it in really won't hurt you, in the long run.

As far as tanking/DPS goes, your best bet is to focus on what you do best, carve out a glorious path of destruction, OR shield your allies from harm. Go for broke, build in one direction, or carry some extra gear with you so you can change roles between battles. Inefficient? Well... Yes, actually. Your funds are often barely enough to cover all the training and gear and upgrades and OOH SHINY you run across; paying for two roles in one is just not helpful to your advancement.

Personally, I'm Vigilance, and when I'm running with my friend, I switch my focus for a shield, and pretend to tank in Soresu. Mostly, I jump in and chop things up, so they don't kill us. That's the extent of my 'tanking', to be blunt.

I seem to only have two AoE's available now, but they work just fine.

Did I miss anything? It's nearly 4am here... Tired...

Tip 1) Use Key Bindings

Tip 2) Vigilance is single target dps; Focus is AOE dps; Defence tree is... no comment...

Tip 3) For "Vigilance" gear Str, End, Expertise, Power, Crit, Surg; For "Focus" gear Str, End, Expertise, Power

Tip 4) You are a "GUARDIAN" use your taunts and guard, you can do ok damage but, remember

"GUARDIAN"; You can only Tank/Guard when you are in a team... group up enjoy Multiplayer!

Tip 5) Awe is short for AWESOME!!!!!! When you activate this power everyone around you is stunned by you....

(like your a super hot chick!)

Tip 6) If you are having trouble in PVE.. feel free to outlevel the content almost everyone does.

Tip 7) Force Leap Everywhere, cause WHY NOT!

Tip 8) See Tip 7

Enjoy!!!!

Edited by VoidJustice

Hi :)

I currently have a Level 32 Jedi Guardian which is my main and only character. I am fairly new to MMOs. Prior to 1.2, I had put all my points in Focus but after looking at all the threads and talking to people it seems it is not as good as before. Should I continue with the Focus tree or should I re-spec to Vigilance/Vigilance hybrids? My main focus is on DPS in PVP.

Another question I have is, should I put all the points I can in one tree and then start putting in the other one? I have yet to see a build with full points in one tree. Any particular reason for this?

Last question. Can I be a DPS and have the ability to be kind of a tank as well? Basically, doing more damage than typical tanks and having more survivability than typical DPS Guardians. Can anyone show me builds that might suit this criteria?

Thanks for any suggestions. Some of the stuff might sound quite noobish without me realizing it :). Sorry about that.

You can kind of be in between but I wouldn't recommend it. Anyway, being in between is more about gear than spec, but heres a variation on a pvp spec that tries to sit on the fence:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/guardian#22-8kddi288k3-22

What do you guys think about this build? http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500ZfhMZGrRrdfobcz.1

Thanks for the answers!

Well Im no Focus Guru but what I can tell you is...

dump all the crit and surge mods you can and

replace them with expertise or power.

also watch this

and then cry bitter tears cause you'll never do damage like that... lol

although... actually my dispatch hits harder than that now..

wait a minute... I DO HIT THAT HARD NOW... woot... :D

Edited by VoidJustice