You won't agree with me, but decos are too expensive and difficult

Macetheace

I know some of you have spent bililons to get stuff, but with 8 strongholds, and really needing lots of decos to make them look good..

I think the decos are way too expensive.. take some of that cartel market stuff, buying one of those packs for decos should give you 10 times the amount it does, so you can really spread em aobut .

And the user interface for them.. it's tedious, I know it's not bad, but can we have better way ?

For example if i am in edit mode, and I hover over a node, let's get images of all thet hings that can go there , i can then sort the list of images into a specific type, let it priroitise rare items first, so you get exotic examples of what can go there, beofre sorting to what you want.

What i find annoying is having to preview the items I am clicking on one by one.

It would also help to have different ways to sort too.. for example if I'm in a room i want to be a party/bar room, I can sort for that, or lunge furniture, or computer furniture and have all the thigns I have available listed.

when outdoors, i can sort to have out door type things. etc. This could help.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they are not too expensive, you can fill out 10 strongholds by just buying decos from the vendors.... will it look good, probably not, will it suffice, yes it will.

The issue is not deco's are expensive, it's the deco's YOU want are expensive. You want your stronghold to look like Bill gates house, but without paying Bill gates money. That's not going to happen. People put in a lot of work to get the stuff they want, buying, selling, or real money. If you are not willing to do that, why should you get the same?

No, they are not too expensive, you can fill out 10 strongholds by just buying decos from the vendors.... will it look good, probably not, will it suffice, yes it will.

The issue is not deco's are expensive, it's the deco's YOU want are expensive. You want your stronghold to look like Bill gates house, but without paying Bill gates money. That's not going to happen. People put in a lot of work to get the stuff they want, buying, selling, or real money. If you are not willing to do that, why should you get the same?

Agreed.

Additionally there are decos available through vendors on the individual planets as well. Granted you have to play the game enough to earn rep points. But that IS a part of the game as much as the rest of it.

Between decos that drop in game / those that are available through an assortment of vendors (ie: Iokath, Ossus and Onderon) PLUS the CM ( a major source) ... there are plenty of ways to decorate a SH.

I would like to see:

** some of the old "in game drops" return (some of them have fallen by the wayside) .

** a "multi-planetary" vendor available for SH applications to have better access to ALL of those decos (frankly I forget where to find some of them) ..

In any case ... there's a LOT available !!

They're not necessary for playing the game. So, they're a credit sink? :-) Trying to tie it in with those threads on game economy.

They're not really a credit sink because they're not taking credits out of the game. They're just moving them from one person to another.

I would like to see:

** some of the old "in game drops" return (some of them have fallen by the wayside) .

** a "multi-planetary" vendor available for SH applications to have better access to ALL of those decos (frankly I forget where to find some of them) ..

I would like for the datacrons to return. They were so helpful in terms of adding the right colors to a room.

I would like for the datacrons to return. They were so helpful in terms of adding the right colors to a room.

They still drop, but they have just become more rare, picked one up recently as a drop on Tat, around by the sarlac pit, one of the mobs there. Got one on taris (I think ) not too long ago.

Agreed! They've come so rare now that they're almost nonexistent. (that also drives up the cost on the GTN too !!).

The datacrons don't have to fall on us (so to speak) ... but it would be nice to know that there are more available than the current drop rate ! ( and why not make them available on some of the newer areas? )

It should be noted that there are many others ... but this is a good example !!

To be honest, he's not wrong in wanting more "good looking" decorations to be obtainable via in-game means and not coming from the cartel market. Peoples have already suggested to make more decorations available through crafting, and I believe that this is something entirely possible. If you want to go through some extremes, imagine that some games like FF14 do have decorations available on their cash shop, but they also have more than 200 decorations available through crafting... For just one of the 8 craft discipline. So there is definitely room for improvement in swtor imo.

Sure this does cost development ressources, but it's not like making peoples play your game instead of making peoples buy stuff on your cash shop makes a difference in final revenues. Right now it would, for sure. But you do not make a MMO just for the "instant" revenues. But aye, that's EA we're talking about, true that.

cost of cartel market decorations is solely dictated by the players who buy them, if you want the prices to be reduced only thing you can do is to buy them yourself and start selling on gtn, with the supply and demand system we have in swtor nothing is "too expensive", cosmetic items cost what players are willing to pay

if you don't wanna pay just use a guild stronghold or guildship and buy copies of decorations so you don't have to buy multiple for a few hundred million each

Edited by RikuvonDrake

To be honest, he's not wrong in wanting more "good looking" decorations to be obtainable via in-game means and not coming from the cartel market. Peoples have already suggested to make more decorations available through crafting, and I believe that this is something entirely possible. If you want to go through some extremes, imagine that some games like FF14 do have decorations available on their cash shop, but they also have more than 200 decorations available through crafting... For just one of the 8 craft discipline. So there is definitely room for improvement in swtor imo.

Sure this does cost development ressources, but it's not like making peoples play your game instead of making peoples buy stuff on your cash shop makes a difference in final revenues. Right now it would, for sure. But you do not make a MMO just for the "instant" revenues. But aye, that's EA we're talking about, true that.

That'd be great, except that, indirectly, we already have that. All three of the deco droids you can place in your SH take items that come from crafting to buy.

Then there's the rep merchants, and merchants that take special currencies, such as the GSI vendor on Nar Shaddaa. I'd bet there's some for the Gree event too, I just haven't looked. There's trophies, that you can get for free, in stacks of 10. All you have to do is finish some FPs or Ops, and you can even get Story Mode FP trophies. Lots of options for decos, including most of the speeders, some of which are also drops.

To be honest, he's not wrong in wanting more "good looking" decorations to be obtainable via in-game means and not coming from the cartel market. Peoples have already suggested to make more decorations available through crafting, and I believe that this is something entirely possible. .

I fully agree, I'd love to see more, from all sources, as an avid decorator the more decorations we get the better :)

True, but i'd like to see them spare some resources on this type of thing, I've added to a few threads about getting more decorations for the vendors, crafting, world drops, etc. There are hundreds available that aren't cartel, and some of them are fantastic, and even better when combined. This is something I'd love to see more off.

Unfortunately at the moment, they seem to be diverting a lot of their resources to stuff the majority of us don't want :/

if you don't wanna pay just use a guild stronghold or guildship and buy copies of decorations so you don't have to buy multiple for a few hundred million each

I've done this with a few vanity guilds, with most of the decos unlocked, and being able to donate them to the guild, to decorate the s/h & f/s, you can come up with some amazing designs.

Agreed! They've come so rare now that they're almost nonexistent. (that also drives up the cost on the GTN too !!).

The datacrons don't have to fall on us (so to speak) ... but it would be nice to know that there are more available than the current drop rate ! ( and why not make them available on some of the newer areas? )

It should be noted that there are many others ... but this is a good example !!

1) Well, I haven't had DT's experience. I haven't gotten one from a mob since before 4.0. However, I did loot one from a treasure chest about 3 months ago, because treasure chests are linked to the planet level and not the character level. I personally think they are broken for exactly that reason: they are not part of the loot table for a level 75 player. If they are not broken, Datacron decorations need to have an increase in drop rate.

2) I would like to see some of the decorations from operations have an increased drop rate in lower difficulty modes. Using S&V as an example, I think the rates should be high enough that in 8-person story mode, at least one bazaar lantern should drop, one shady merchant banner, and one commemorative Styrak statue. In other words, it should be an extremely rare occurrence that no one gets a lantern going through 8-person Story mode S&V. I won't go so far as to say its should be a guaranteed drop, but it should have a pretty high chance. On the opposite end, doing 16-person nightmare should basically be guaranteed deco drops for all the possible decos, with multiple copies to boot. Increase the 1-copy limit for some of those drops to at least 10, for example, the Reconstructed Hypergate or Worldbreaker Monolith.

3) Definitely the decorations need to be brought back into the heroic veteran mode star fortresses. I don't understand why, four years later, they still only drop in story mode.

4) Cartel market decos are tricky, because as time goes on, and more decos are released, the chances of someone getting an older, but personally desired, deco, even from a [blank] rarity deco pack, go down. First, I would propose all decorations from the market be available for sale more than just once a year! At least once per quarter. But in addition, I would propose generations of deco packs that cover decorations from specific years/expansions/eras/Shipments/whatever. These should be available for purchase all the time, just like the [blank] rarity deco pack. In fact, ideally these generational packs would be tiered by rarity as well. That way, players have a better chance of getting the deco they want from a pack.

So, those are my suggestions. Fix or increase the drop rate for datacron decorations, increase the drop rate for decorations from operations, fix the missing decorations from heroic veteran star fortresses, and bring in generational packs for older cartel market decorations.

1) Well, I haven't had DT's experience. I haven't gotten one from a mob since before 4.0. However, I did loot one from a treasure chest about 3 months ago, because treasure chests are linked to the planet level and not the character level. I personally think they are broken for exactly that reason: they are not part of the loot table for a level 75 player. If they are not broken, Datacron decorations need to have an increase in drop rate.

2) I would like to see some of the decorations from operations have an increased drop rate in lower difficulty modes. Using S&V as an example, I think the rates should be high enough that in 8-person story mode, at least one bazaar lantern should drop, one shady merchant banner, and one commemorative Styrak statue. In other words, it should be an extremely rare occurrence that no one gets a lantern going through 8-person Story mode S&V. I won't go so far as to say its should be a guaranteed drop, but it should have a pretty high chance. On the opposite end, doing 16-person nightmare should basically be guaranteed deco drops for all the possible decos, with multiple copies to boot. Increase the 1-copy limit for some of those drops to at least 10, for example, the Reconstructed Hypergate or Worldbreaker Monolith.

3) Definitely the decorations need to be brought back into the heroic veteran mode star fortresses. I don't understand why, four years later, they still only drop in story mode.

4) Cartel market decos are tricky, because as time goes on, and more decos are released, the chances of someone getting an older, but personally desired, deco, even from a [blank] rarity deco pack, go down. First, I would propose all decorations from the market be available for sale more than just once a year! At least once per quarter. But in addition, I would propose generations of deco packs that cover decorations from specific years/expansions/eras/Shipments/whatever. These should be available for purchase all the time, just like the [blank] rarity deco pack. In fact, ideally these generational packs would be tiered by rarity as well. That way, players have a better chance of getting the deco they want from a pack.

So, those are my suggestions. Fix or increase the drop rate for datacron decorations, increase the drop rate for decorations from operations, fix the missing decorations from heroic veteran star fortresses, and bring in generational packs for older cartel market decorations.

OOH ! I forgot about some of those !! (sorry ... having another senior moment !!) :D

As for CM decos I really only buy a few here and there. Usually a bundle if and when it goes on sale (for a really good price).

I also like the idea of seeing some interesting decos from crafting! If that happened I might actually start getting involved with that part of the game !!

Edited by OlBuzzard

It's quite possible the char was a low level, I don't remember, but I've also received them from the chests at times, although not sure when the last one was :)

1)

More chances are great, but i'd also like to see them dropped seperately, as a few times I've seen decos drop, but they drop together, and one person gets them all. TC pops to mind, with 4 of the decos always going to one person.

Fully agree, and support whole heartedly.

Datacron decos have absolutely still dropped for me on 75s, but only extremely rarely anymore. My impression was that it was companion gifts that screwed it up. Blue-quality planetary drop was almost always a datacron deco, now it's usually a gift.

@OP, the only thing I really don't agree with is that the deco interface is "not bad", it's absolutely horrid.

I ended up focusing mostly on a guild stronghold, at least once I could get one deco for myself and then keep buying it for the guild for a set price. I remember utter frustration at one point for being unable to afford a single trash bin, while I wanted quite a few of them. Expensive centerpieces I could understand, and it's not actually quite as bad as it used to be, in my opinion, but not being well-off in the real world shouldn't mean only having cardboard boxes available to sit on in the game, so to speak.

I I remember utter frustration at one point for being unable to afford a single trash bin, while I wanted quite a few of them. ]

What server are you on :eek:, I don't think I've ever seen a thrash bin going for more the 400k, on SF they range from 150k to 400 , some do go higher, but I doubt they sell. (unless some buys up the cheap one, but even then, there always seems to be a supply of cheap ones)

EDIT: Just checked out of curiosity , the things are going for a minimum of 1.5 million now :eek:

Edited by DarkTergon

I'd love a collection system for decorations where once purchased and unlocked we can buy copies via credits or cartel coins.

They won't do it for credits, as they'll lose cc's from people trying to get more, or sell them on the gtn.

As for cc's, they also be losing out, because will only be using cc's once, then they'll have multiple access to them.

Maybe if it was a fraction of the cc for each time it's copied, they might. As people might copy more than they would buy, so it might increase their CC sales.

I guess I don't mind the cartel system, because people will turn around and sell them for credits. But there are a few areas where decorations are just terribly lacking.

There are not nearly enough personnel decorations. I go visit the top strongholds on my server all the time, and it's obvious that many decorators are doing the same thing I am--using companions for things where personnel decorations would be better.

There are also not nearly enough good rugs and useful lights that actually change the color or shading of a room. Or if there are, they are "out of circulation" and I don't see them on the GTN.

I guess I don't mind the cartel system, because people will turn around and sell them for credits. But there are a few areas where decorations are just terribly lacking.

There are not nearly enough personnel decorations. I go visit the top strongholds on my server all the time, and it's obvious that many decorators are doing the same thing I am--using companions for things where personnel decorations would be better.

There are also not nearly enough good rugs and useful lights that actually change the color or shading of a room. Or if there are, they are "out of circulation" and I don't see them on the GTN.

We definitely need more people bundles, different posses, different factions, military & civilian, etc. We've a few posts in different threads, hopefully they are taking notice :) , and as an add on to this, I've love to see the vendor icon removed from them when placed in strongholds