Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Covid 19

Lhancelot
Yesterday , 11:18 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
The misinformation in this thread is dangerous. I'm not going to quote anyone specifically, but I am going to address some things said. Using spoiler tags as this is a long read.

No. Covid-19 is not the flu. No. Covid-19 has nothing to do with the 1918 Spanish flu.
Spoiler

So, why did I write all of that? Because misinformation kills. This is not the time to coddle the ill informed. One does not need to be at high risk to develop serious viral pneumonia from SARS-CoV-2. Relatively healthy people can very quickly decompensate and find themselves in serious respiratory failure. During the 1918 pandemic one of the highest death rates were among people aged 15-34. Do not for a moment think that youth and health will protect you.

When it come to Covid-19 I really don't care about protecting someone's feels by trying to police my verbiage. Maybe if people got a little more passionate about infection control we wouldn't have millions sick and thousands dead from the flu.

Trixxie, I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis and completely understand your concerns for your mother. While your mother has likely already been exposed (asymptomatic shedding is a factor for communal spread but shedding is highest during the initial stages of the illness) isolating yourself can help to mitigate the spread.
Spoiler

One last thing. Stop buying toilet paper people. It's not as versatile as you think. Save a tree. Get a bidet.
I appreciate this post because you added some things I had not read yet like the toilet flushing stuff but it makes sense with what i have read about the virus so far. More information is coming out as it travels around the globe it seems.

What's really perplexing and I haven't seen the explanation behind it is the death rates of the countries so far that have had the virus pandemic. Italy has a 10% death rate, while Germany has not even a 1% death rate, the USA has a 1.6% death rate so far, and China above the USA. Why the variations in death rates and why has Italy been hit so hard?

The virus is interesting in how it can hang in droplets in the air for substantial periods of time. That's why the toilet thing really struck a chord with me, I knew this thing had qualities that really made it a very effective contagion just by how easily it is to pass around but had no idea about the bloom affect flushing a toilet would have on the infected waste that sits in the bowl. Really interesting stuff.

The other thing that is scary is how long a person will then carry an infected gut, contaminating an entire bathroom with corrupt virus saturated *****/urine so long after the pass seemingly has passed through an infected individual. 20+ days? Wow. So, a 2 week quarantine isn't going to help in that situation...

Another great detail mentioned in Cerypx post above is the explanation of how and why hand washing is so important. I had not read that, but again, sounds reasonable and logical to me. The virus when disrupted by water loses it's efficacy in infecting so a good complete hand washing is ultra important! Soap is important, but not the most important reason behind hand washing! Again, the water (according to the post above not even hot water is needed, simply liquid itself) will disrupt the virus physically potentially ruining all effect it has on infection simply by introducing water to the virus. Which is why again, washing the entire hand and wrist is important.

Thanks so much for the information, Cerypx!

Know now, I will cross reference everything you have read and look to ensure that this info coincides with quality sources from other places but I have no doubt this is accurate info. Just saying even so, I will not just take it at face value but I will do my due diligence and check out this new info with what I read in the future. Again, thanks a lot.

P.S. I can't believe fee-cees is actually moderated by the forums, lol. Poop? Poo-Poo? Number two? Sheesh.
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Iíd still like to know how you find someoneís legacy name if they donít display it?
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Uh you don't know it because it is a secret knowledge of ranked players who use it to see the real appearance of other players through the force.

TrixxieTriss
Yesterday , 11:34 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post

Trixxie, I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis and completely understand your concerns for your mother. While your mother has likely already been exposed (asymptomatic shedding is a factor for communal spread but shedding is highest during the initial stages of the illness) isolating yourself can help to mitigate the spread.

Save a tree. Get a bidet.
So exhausted at the moment. Iím Coronavirused out from being physically assaulted by it and mentally assaulted on the TV.

Anyone who thinks this is like normal flu hasnít had it yet. And I hope none of you get it because it sucks. Iím past the worst of it now (I hope) after 12 days of isolation.
My mum and wife both had to be tested when I was and they came back negative. We were already doing partial social isolation in our house to teach us how to do it if one of us got sick. Itís probably why they didnít get it before my symptoms started.
I would certainly suggest a little bit of distancing at home too and lots of ventilation in your house if you have more than two people.

The one thing Iím trying to find out is when I can leave isolation. They say you stop shedding virus a couple of days after your symptoms disappear, but there isnít enough documented evidence around to confirm this. So Iím still worried about coming out of isolation in a few days.
Especially when the CDC recently found virus RNA 17 days later on the Diamond Princess cruise ship after the last passenger had left and it had been cleaned.

I linked a do it yourself bidet in another thread that got deleted. Lhance, if you still have the link, can you post it as I canít find it now.

ceryxp
Today , 04:25 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
The virus when disrupted by water loses it's efficacy in infecting so a good complete hand washing is ultra important! Soap is important, but not the most important reason behind hand washing! Again, the water (according to the post above not even hot water is needed, simply liquid itself) will disrupt the virus physically potentially ruining all effect it has on infection simply by introducing water to the virus. Which is why again, washing the entire hand and wrist is important.
Quick clarification. It is important to use soap when washing to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 because the surfactants in soap held to disrupt that oily surface of the virus and impede its spread.

My comment about the difference between the efficacy of water alone and water+soap in hand washing comes from, IIRC, a WHO report about infection control in un- and underdeveloped areas that may lack access to soap. The synopsis is that soap and water is better, but in the absence of soap following proper hand washing technique in clean water greatly reduced the transmission of fecal-mouth bacterium.

The information I posted is a blend of information that I know (ex., I have been trained in universal precautions, and I keep the bleach solution concentrations on hand), and information gathered from sources such as the CDC, WHO, Johns Hopkins University, and other sources (ex., I used Wikipedia to get the exact family names for the viruses).

For anyone doubting anything I posted I welcome you to do as Lhancelot and do some research. A little self educating is never bad as long as it's not clouded by your own cognitive biases.

With regard to why some locations seem to have been hit harder than others, I read an interesting analysis of that very problem recently. Qualitatively, the level of healthcare between these locations is relatively equal. Quantitatively, they are not. Demographically the infection statistics are relatively the same for the US, Germany, Italy (slightly older population), and South Korea (slightly younger population). So why has the mortality rate been so low for Germany and South Korea? Because they ramped up testing. Testing more people, even asymptomatic, means a larger percentage of negative tests, but it also means finding the people who are infected and getting them treatment and in isolation sooner. Germany, it is estimated, is able to test 120,000 people a week, whereas the US, according to the CDC, had tested just 112,582 samples (last updated 27 Mar, between the CDC and public health labs). Simply put, the US dropped the ball and still hasn't figured out how to pick it back up.

Trixxie, I don't know if this is what you posted, but here's a video for doing a low cost DIY bidet.
https://youtu.be/sYzd6YuMI64
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

Lhancelot
Today , 07:59 AM | #74

I linked a do it yourself bidet in another thread that got deleted. Lhance, if you still have the link, can you post it as I canít find it now.
Hmm I did not see that I am afraid. hahaha, like i am the SWTOR archives master rofl.

I do go out of my way to keep old threads that people write because you never know when the "mods" will deem something offensive and just obliterate an entire thread. (I don't know of a simpler way but I copy paste good posts. Like Ceryxp I will copy it to read again now. It's a good post imo.)
Iíd still like to know how you find someoneís legacy name if they donít display it?
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Uh you don't know it because it is a secret knowledge of ranked players who use it to see the real appearance of other players through the force.