How well will this game run on this?

TheOnlyKyrenS

Same as the title.

I wanna know how well SWTOR will run on this premade machine.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1883175&Sku=B69-0520

with this as the graphics

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1729160&CatId=7005

Also, if you have any better suggestions that don't cost a leg and a half (I have about 700-800 canadian to spend)

This is what I'm currently using to the play the game and I get about 30-60fps on very low

http://support.toshiba.ca/support/isg/center/en/index.asp?s1=Notebook&s2=Satellite&s3=L755&s4=PSK1WC-0PV01S

(you may have to click the specs tab)

PS Please don't bash what I have chosen what I've got. I'm an unemployed college student.

For now you would do ok, there are inherent performance issues with the game that effect it. But if you keep things on low you would be fine, that isn't a power system but will be a decent budget gamer.

If possible I would find a system with a quad core, like a Phenom II X4 or a dual core Core i3 and get a better video card. Then down the road you can always upgrade that Core i3 to a Core i5.

People tend to toss it aside but the Core i3 2130 is a beast of a budget gamer chip.

The PSU is the big concern I think. I'm against anything under 700 Watt's with a current gen video card...

He would be fine with that particular video card he listed, but any higher he needs to swap it to at least a 650W to be safe.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

Now don't be hating, on a budget AMD is perfectly fine and will accomplish what people want. Not everyone can afford to go Core i5/Core i7 like some of us. So please, no hater in this thread.

I am not hating, just giving my honest opinion. I for many years ran AMD processors, but Intel just out performs AMD in every category.

I am not hating, just giving my honest opinion. I for many years ran AMD processors, but Intel just out performs AMD in every category.

=D fair enough, people are just quick to hate on AMD. But you are right, Intel hoopty stomps AMD in terms of performance. That is partly why I am a little quick to call people out on hating, even though I am wrong at times.

I also love championing the Core i3, dual core but awesome performance on a budget. Very very hard to beat.

yea i was gonna upgrade that because the one in the kit is only 450 and the graphics cards min is 450 so that would be crap

The quality of the unit itself and the available amps on the +12v rail(s) are far more important than just wattage.

Thanks you guys. With one guys help, I think i found a pretty decent one.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1355273&CatId=5205

I'll be sure to pick up a SSD and better PSU as well.

You will want to upgrade the video card in that unit, in fact I would go with a unit without that card and grab the card you were looking at originally. Tight on the budget, but the card included in that system is going to struggle.

Oh yea? I'm sorry, I don't know jack about PSUs so thanks for letting me know that.

Uh oh....

Not to sound rude, but he is going to send you down a long dark tunnel that is filled with myths and such.

Here are some basics..

Stick with brands like Antec, OCZ, Corsair, XFX and you are fine on the quality. Then just get one that is rated, wattage wise, for what you need plus a little. At that point you just need to make sure it has the proper connectors, and you are set.

Do yourself a favor, don't start getting into the "number of rails" and other inane topics.

So then,

this

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1262860&CatId=5205

with that orignal card i found, a ssd, better PSU and another 4 gig or possibly 8 gig stick?

That would be a way to go. You will want to toss in another memory module because it only comes with one, which means your system will run it in a single channel mode. You need 2 modules to achieve dual channel operation.

EDIT: Let me work another system, not going "bare bone", and see what you can get.

EDIT 2: Do you have a legitimate copy of an OS you are going to install? Because even the bare bone kits don't come with that.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

That would be a way to go. You will want to toss in another memory module because it only comes with one, which means your system will run it in a single channel mode. You need 2 modules to achieve dual channel operation.

EDIT: Let me work another system, not going "bare bone", and see what you can get.

Ok then. I'm going to be leaving the school in about an hour so if, you're not done by then, sorry for the late reply as it is a long *** ride back home lol.

Oh yea? I'm sorry, I don't know jack about PSUs so thanks for letting me know that.

No probs, this is my personal recommendation and by no means the be all and end all of PSUs.

However, I would always go for a quality unit by a manufacturer like Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ or Seasonic (Seasonic actually make alot of the Corsair units). I also prefer single +12v rails units as they are less likely to waste power. The reason for that many things in the system draw power of varying amounts (the GPU is normally the single biggest power draw), but each item must take all its power from one rail. So, in a multiple rail unit it can work as below (simplified numbers).

+12v rail 1 = 18 amps

+12v rail 2 = 18 amps

+12v rail 3 = 18 amps

2x GPU draws 15 amps each

CPU draws 7 amps

Fans draw 6 amps

HDD draws 6 amps

The total draw of that system is 49 amps and you have a total of 54 amps which would seem enough. But, when you break it down to parts drawing from specific rails:

+12v rail 1 - GPU 1 (15) which leaves 3 amps

+12v rail 2 - GPU 2 (15) which leaves 3 amps

+12v rail 3 - CPU (7), Fans (6) which leaves 5 amps

There is no rail that can happily provide the 6 amps for the fans, but they will still try and draw that power which would overload the PSU, it would probably work for a while OK but it would age alot quicker and is far more likely to fail. HOpe that makes sense :D

You should be aiming for a PSU that can power your system, with the system at full load and the PSU being at about 70% - 80% (Max) of its capability. This will help prolong the life of the PSU (they all age and as they age their output will reduce).

As a guide I use here to help me work out what I need. Put in all the information about your system, fans, peripherals, USB devices etc. Set the capacitor aging to 10% for a new PSU and click calculate. It will give you a recommended wattage at the top, I usually go for 1 or 2 sizes above that to give me some head room for expansion etc.

Uh oh....

Not to sound rude, but he is going to send you down a long dark tunnel that is filled with myths and such.

Here are some basics..

Stick with brands like Antec, OCZ, Corsair, XFX and you are fine on the quality. Then just get one that is rated, wattage wise, for what you need plus a little. At that point you just need to make sure it has the proper connectors, and you are set.

Do yourself a favor, don't start getting into the "number of rails" and other inane topics.

Your right, I have put quite a bit of info about rails etc because it is VERY relevant. Luckily, in the vast majority of cases the above examples don't happen as long as you buy a quality unit. However, people often buy cheap and the factors above are the biggest cause of failed cheap PSUs. Ignoring it doesn't make the facts go away.

Edited by Loxion

Yes I do have a legit copy of 7 Postal.

So here are the links to Newegg Canada, you could find the same on Tiger I am sure. I just have used Newegg since they first opened.

A few things to note...

This isn't a power house system, it is a budget gamer system. I have seen this particular setup do very well in gaming, it is enough. I also did NOT include a HDD/SDD in this particular build, that option is up to you. If you use a ton of space you will want to get a traditional HDD. If you use very little space, SDD is fine. You could also upgrade the video card from a 550 Ti to a 560 Ti for another $100 or so, choice is yours.

But as the system sits, with your final storage choice, you will be fine. It is higher performing than what you were originally looking at, and should do fine for you. Even after the added storage you are still under budget and have a little wiggle room to change things around. Should give you an idea on what you can get for your money.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

So here are the links to Newegg Canada, you could find the same on Tiger I am sure. I just have used Newegg since they first opened.

A few things to note...

This isn't a power house system, it is a budget gamer system. I have seen this particular setup do very well in gaming, it is enough. I also did NOT include a HDD/SDD in this particular build, that option is up to you. If you use a ton of space you will want to get a traditional HDD. If you use very little space, SDD is fine. You could also upgrade the video card from a 550 Ti to a 560 Ti for another $100 or so, choice is yours.

But as the system sits, with your final storage choice, you will be fine. It is higher performing than what you were originally looking at, and should do fine for you.

Sweet, thanks for the time Postal. I'll also compare on Tiger as I can get a discount through the school.

EDIT: So far, I'm liking the prices. Through Newegg, it would cost 520 and some change. That's including shipping, handling and taxes. I'll compare on Tiger when I get home as the computer at school is slow as hell.

Edited by TheOnlyKyrenS