Surge DR?

Darth_Caedes

Hey all, sorry if this information is easily available as I searched around with no luck. Is 75% the cap for surge is it lower? I've been told the rating cap is 258 but I can't find anything to back that up.

Idk, but you don't want to go above ~69% as a sniper.

Currently my sniper is in a mix of 69/72.

Bonus damage 1026

Stats are 99.42 accuracy

Crit chance 22.85

Crit multi is at 70.88 with 388 Surge

Probably need to do a link on that robot site that has the gear setup but 250ish surge just doesn't sound right to me?

Hmmm, I suspect Noxxic is still contaminating the internet..

DR = Diminishing Returns, it starts from the 1st point, the more you have the less you gain per point. The "cap" is how high you can get while maintaining enough Accuracy (100%'ish for PvE). I would actually start considering Alacrity once Surge passes 70%'ish. :)

Hmmm, I suspect Noxxic is still contaminating the internet..

DR = Diminishing Returns, it starts from the 1st point, the more you have the less you gain per point. The "cap" is how high you can get while maintaining enough Accuracy (100%'ish for PvE). I would actually start considering Alacrity once Surge passes 70%'ish. :)

If that comment about Noxxic is related to my Lethality Crit comment then your stupid. If your at 30% Tech Crit then your DoT's have a 1/3rd chance to crit each tick and Crits on a DoT Tick for Lethality mean 2 free Energy. So with 30% crit you should have less energy issues with Lethality.

If that comment about Noxxic is related to my Lethality Crit comment then your stupid. If your at 30% Tech Crit then your DoT's have a 1/3rd chance to crit each tick and Crits on a DoT Tick for Lethality mean 2 free Energy. So with 30% crit you should have less energy issues with Lethality.

I was talking about Surge, which is the topic and not at all personal. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. DRs were changed drastically in 2.0 above level 50, to the point that Critical rating is almost useless..

That said, you can easily pull off Lethality with less than 30% Crit chance because you get 12% crit chance on poisons and 8% to Cull in the Lethality tree ;) However, a little bit of crit will make your life easier. From what I've gathered so far, Engineer is the spec that actually prefers more crit rating than any other Sniper spec!

Regarding Noxxic and their data on SWTOR, do not trust that site! It has very outdated info, even before 2.0 it wasn't very accurate. Sad but true.

Edited by Svii

I've been waiting for a more definitive reply in this thread but I don't see it, or perhaps don't want to. Anyway, to re-iterate the OPs question. Does anyone know what the Surge cap is? At least to the point of DR taking effect?

I ask because my character is finally min-maxed in complete 72s, with some 75s. And I have about 402 surge rating, giving me about 71% surge. I wonder whether or not to just keep with my current itemization, or eventually remove one surge enh for an alacrity one if surge cap is around 400ish.

Always get ranged accuracy to between 99.5% / 100% first, then put the rest in Surge. For PvE at least.

I'll just reiterate my own reply here.

There is not a Surge hard cap for PvE. You can "gamble" with going below 100% Accuracy, but I hate to miss so I sacrifice like 1% surge for that certain hit.

Edited by Svii

I'll just reiterate my own reply here.

There is now Surge hard cap for PvE. You can "gamble" with going below 100% Accuracy, but I hate to miss so I sacrifice like 1% surge for that certain hit.

There is now surge hard cap? So when you hit a certain number , surge won't "increase" your damage anymore?

There is now surge hard cap? So when you hit a certain number , surge won't "increase" your damage anymore?

Thanks for catching that bad grammar and just incorrect sentence lol :o

Post embarrassingly corrected to what I really meant!

Edited by Svii

Thanks for catching that bad grammar and just incorrect sentence lol :o

Post embarrassingly corrected to what I really meant!

It actually was correct, but not in the way you intended. There is a hard cap, it's 30%. No matter how much surge you stack it'll never increase your multiplier by more than that. It approaches it asymptotically, though, so you'll never reach it.

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-1190.html for the exact (I believe) formulas

Edited by namesaretough