Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Talon_strikes
11.05.2017 , 07:35 AM | #3271
Quote: Originally Posted by Agamaras View Post
I am currently trying to determine the best server to play on because of the issue with people, forcing me to play with an abundance of terrible people just turns me off.
Maybe you are playing the wrong game??? This is an MMO after all.
Do you want free 7 days of subscription time? And one free server transfer?
With a bundle of goodies? And obtain these rewards every 90 days?
Then click my referral link and login to an existing account, or create a new one, for these rewards today! Don't forget to bookmark it too!

Agamaras
11.05.2017 , 07:38 AM | #3272
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_strikes View Post
I'm so happy that servers are finally being merged. Finally the pro-merge crowd was listened to. In fact this was actually around 3 years TOO LATE. There is NO excuse whatsoever for multiple dead servers to remain. If you don't like high populated servers then you're playing the wrong game. It was careless of the devs to let dead servers remain 3 years later. This is an MMO and I'm glad Keith is making more progress to make sure it plays like one. Sorry MMO snowflakes!
Let me tell you what, as a founder there was plenty of activity on all the servers at the beginning. I spent a lot of time and effort on mine, now I'm being forced to merge because the game can't keep people ? I like low pop servers, not as many terrible people playing and I love the game, but I work nights and weekends and can never seem to find a guild that is available to do things at 8 am east coast time on a Tuesday. There wouldn't be multiple dead servers if the game wasn't dying. Merging the servers isn't going to change the way most of us play is it ? Why didn't YOU move to a more populated server ? I was here at the beginning and because of this merge I will likely be moving to another game..Trust me there are other games without this merging server issues that I play and not near as many ***wipes. You want to PvP ? Where are the PvP servers ? You want to PvP, get on a WOW PvP server. Group content ? Can't find any decent groups..I got kicked out of a guild the other day because my name had poke in it. Nothing offenseive, but the guild master was too ignorant to understand what the name poke-ahauntis meant. Personally I think there should be servers for all the kids under 40 and a server for the rest of us adults, even if it means a low pop server for me, although my entire guild I'm in now are all over 40 years old and actually have real lives, but it doesn't matter, if this merge doesn't fit right with us, we are all going to go back to our other game(s)..Like I said before, multiple dead servers are not a good sign.

CrazyCT
11.05.2017 , 07:40 AM | #3273
{Yeah, I keep forgetting we're not allowed to play the game the way we want. That's why I love MMO's, they're always so niche, and streamlined to prevent you from doing anything aside from PvP and Raids.}
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

Baith-Na
11.05.2017 , 07:54 AM | #3274
Quote: Originally Posted by Agamaras View Post
Let me tell you what, as a founder there was plenty of activity on all the servers at the beginning. I spent a lot of time and effort on mine, now I'm being forced to merge because the game can't keep people ? I like low pop servers, not as many terrible people playing and I love the game, but I work nights and weekends and can never seem to find a guild that is available to do things at 8 am east coast time on a Tuesday. There wouldn't be multiple dead servers if the game wasn't dying. Merging the servers isn't going to change the way most of us play is it ? Why didn't YOU move to a more populated server ? I was here at the beginning and because of this merge I will likely be moving to another game..Trust me there are other games without this merging server issues that I play and not near as many ***wipes. You want to PvP ? Where are the PvP servers ? You want to PvP, get on a WOW PvP server. Group content ? Can't find any decent groups..I got kicked out of a guild the other day because my name had poke in it. Nothing offenseive, but the guild master was too ignorant to understand what the name poke-ahauntis meant. Personally I think there should be servers for all the kids under 40 and a server for the rest of us adults, even if it means a low pop server for me, although my entire guild I'm in now are all over 40 years old and actually have real lives, but it doesn't matter, if this merge doesn't fit right with us, we are all going to go back to our other game(s)..Like I said before, multiple dead servers are not a good sign.
Yeah, like the man said, you're probably playing the wrong game and the wrong genre.

Baith-Na
11.05.2017 , 07:57 AM | #3275
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
{Yeah, I keep forgetting we're not allowed to play the game the way we want. That's why I love MMO's, they're always so niche, and streamlined to prevent you from doing anything aside from PvP and Raids.}
Actually, MMO's offer the most variable gaming experience of any genre.
I havent done pvp in years (in any game) and i've only raided once in SWTOR back in 2014 and didnt like it so i never raided again. I play the game the way i want to, why cant you?

CrazyCT
11.05.2017 , 08:04 AM | #3276
Quote: Originally Posted by Baith-Na View Post
I play the game the way i want to, why cant you?
Cause when we put our point across that we want to RP or even just not have every troll, griefer and gold spammer on the same server as us, some people keep telling us we're playing the wrong game.

Quote: Originally Posted by Baith-Na View Post
Yeah, like the man said, you're probably playing the wrong game and the wrong genre.
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

DWho
11.05.2017 , 10:30 AM | #3277
You know, at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Despite your protestations that you want to "save the game" you seem bound and determined to drive people away and hasten its demise. At this point we are going to loose something like 25% of the people playing the game as a result of the mergers between the people who can't play it anymore, the people who are mad about their pings increasing, the people who feel betrayed by the game, the people who will lose stuff in the merger, and the people who did not want this massive a server consolidation. There is not going to be any kind of substantial influx of "MMO players" to fill that void just because of server mergers or even a "focus on group content". In fact, server merges are almost always seen as the end of a game not its resurgence. Everyone who subscribes to this game (along with anyone buying stuff from the cartel market) helps to keep the doors open so you can play the game you want regardless of how they play the game.

Jamtas
11.05.2017 , 10:39 AM | #3278
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
You know, at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Despite your protestations that you want to "save the game" you seem bound and determined to drive people away and hasten its demise. At this point we are going to loose something like 25% of the people playing the game as a result of the mergers between the people who can't play it anymore, the people who are mad about their pings increasing, the people who feel betrayed by the game, the people who will lose stuff in the merger, and the people who did not want this massive a server consolidation. There is not going to be any kind of substantial influx of "MMO players" to fill that void just because of server mergers or even a "focus on group content". In fact, server merges are almost always seen as the end of a game not its resurgence. Everyone who subscribes to this game (along with anyone buying stuff from the cartel market) helps to keep the doors open so you can play the game you want regardless of how they play the game.
But, they aren't calling it a server merge- this is a massive new expansion!!! United Forces!

See, not a bad thing like mergering/consolidating servers due to massive player loss and eliminating data centers (and removing the APAC player base as a result) to save money and prep for maintenance mode - it is an expansion! It has a name!
Let's agree to never say "RNG is exciting" ever again.

Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/H9v4V6

Ratajack
11.05.2017 , 12:09 PM | #3279
I'm sorry, where in the definition of MMO does it state that players MUST group or even play on what they feel are over populated servers?

MMO simply means a capable of supporting multiple people in the same online environment.

That said, we all know these mergers will be happening, so we must all live with them and ALL that those mergers entail. Anyone who is inconvenienced in any manner need look no further than the pro merger crowd to see the most likely cause of their inconvenience.

Orbac
11.05.2017 , 12:40 PM | #3280
First off I didnt read all 300+ pages , so if this was already stated then whatever.

Having it split as it was posted with a eastcoast and westcoast server is pointless, the lag is the same for each now that they are in the same physical location.The population should be the factor now that they are already done with the move.The number of servers should be based on that, as in open another if needed and not stick to a 2 server set when the number of people deem it viable to have say 3 or even 4 { wishful thinking on the numbers there}..

Name changes could be addressed by letting people know in advance that they are going to have to think up a new name. the factors are already known and the ones that will need to do this can have advance warning.and not have to come up with that one awesome name without warning.

Having say three instances one could be the one used by the RP players and the trolls would have to be dealt with in some manner on that one instance, but I am not a RP player and I don't speak for them. They would have to move to that instance like it is done now but without an dedicatted server for them I really dont know what else can be done to make them happy.