is the consular story any good?

_biddan_

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be underwhelming throughout much of Chapter 1 because you are essentially doing the same thing for 5 planets (Coruscant, Taris, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, and Alderaan, with a "rescue" mission in between Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine). Without giving away spoilers, there are some story inconsistencies and no real consequence for making the Dark Side choices other than lines of dialogue. I have heard it picks up through Chapter 2 and 3 however.

Also, your stuck with only one companion until the end of Nar Shaddaa, who, unless you turn off his AOE attacks, can be a real pain when you try to CC enemies, but you do get a healer after that. On the other hand, the play style of the Consular can be fun once you understand how either Advanced Class works, I am having a lot of fun playing as a Balance Sage.

TLDR; Give it a shot, it's really not as bad as many people say it is, and feels the most "Jedi" at least to me as you are basically a savior, diplomat and a leader.

It has some high points. Some people say that as your first character, it's great, because you haven't been exposed to the other "better" storylines yet.

You essentially play a warrior diplomat. There's a lot of running around finding relics in the first chapter. The rest is about being a diplomat and getting people on your side.

Personally, I love playing a Shadow (Infiltrator) Consular. The gameplay is fun. But I find the storyline to be slightly underwhelming. You just generally come out of it saying "meh." You don't get that epic feel you get with the other storylines. My consular is my first toon. I got bored with the storyline and started playing an Inquisitor and an Agent, and I find those much more interesting, even if the class itself isn't as fun as the consular.

i've been hearing a lot of things about the consular's story,mostly that is boring,is there anyone who can englight me about this?

The Story is good, or, at least, I like it. It has a lot to do with culture and history and politics. So if your not into that sort of thing, then yeah, it'd be pretty boring. I really like the Qyzen and Nadia stories to.

So far, I've enjoyed each class story for what it is. Given that, I'll say that like MOST of the class stories, the consular story is not so much boring or bad, as uneven. They have a problem, not just with the consular story, but with multiple story lines, in transitioning between acts. The acts seem disconnected as they move you from Act 1, where the focus is on your character becoming a power to be reckoned with in the story at all, to Act 2 where your character is introduced onto the larger galactic playing field in the greater story arc of the Republic vs the Empire, to Act 3 where you become a driving force in that story arc. The transitions from act to act are often less than stellar, leaving you with an overall dissatisfaction as one part of the story doesn't seem to have much to do with the next.

However, I liked the consular story overall, and I think the unpopularity of the consular story likely comes from the fact that it is indeed much less action oriented than any of the others, and focuses on less-exciting diplomatic trials. I think you'll also have a much more enjoyable time if you ignore LS/DS choices and answer as seems suitable....it is DEAD easy to get full LS or DS on a consular, you don't have to answer LS or DS every time to max them out (which is a little harder to do on other toons if you must have that LS or DS 5) and it will feel more natural. I did full LS on my consular but I played with someone who did total DS. So we saw all the answers as we played through, and honestly, sometimes I thought I'd go into sugar shock, my consular was so sickly sweet (she was my first character to 50.....had I known.....). Conversely, the DS consular could have been much more morally ambiguous in her answers and still been full DS without trouble. And a few solo Esseles runs would have solved any last minute point needs. And I would not have said "It was the will of the Force," quite so many times.....

In the end.....it's entirely a personal preference. If you LIKE political maneuvering and the thought of solving things without always resorting to your lightsaber, you might like the story. Though DS.....let's just say the lightsaber is more often in play :rolleyes:

However, I liked the consular story overall, and I think the unpopularity of the consular story likely comes from the fact that it is indeed much less action oriented than any of the others, and focuses on less-exciting diplomatic trials.

In the end.....it's entirely a personal preference. If you LIKE political maneuvering and the thought of solving things without always resorting to your lightsaber, you might like the story. Though DS.....let's just say the lightsaber is more often in play :rolleyes:

I'm fine with not having an action packed story. Actually, I think the concept of the consular and the diplomacy story is great. I just think it was poorly executed.

Without giving anything away, it was VERY easy to predict the big bad guy at the end of both chapter 1 and chapter 2. The whole time I was thinking to myself "It's no way it can but that guy, that's too easy." But, no. It was just who you predicted. It's like an episode of Scooby Doo.

I think the two shining point in the story are 1.) Coruscant . Most people find the Noeticons boring, but I think it's an interesting peice of Jedi history. You're using your mind to search for the knowledge you need. 2.) Alderaan. Instead of it being a "You help me (by doing these quests that are just like all the non-storyline ones), and I help you" situation, it's more of a "You use your diplomacy and thinking skills to help me, and I'll help you."

So, the consular storyline is okay. It just feels to me like it could be beefed out with a little more thinking diplomat and less lightsaber diplomat.

It's easily the worst of the force-user storylines (I've leveled an Inquisitor, Consular, Warrior and Knight). The other 3 have a much more epic feel and tighter pacing imo.

Personally I think the inquisitor story has been my favorite so far, so I'd recommend that over a consular any day if you're just interested in the playstyle.

Edited by SenatorPalpaTANG

I truly hope it picks up in Chapter 2/3. I've completed all the Imperial class stories and am almost done with the Jedi Knight one. Trooper became my next focus because the JC was just hard to get into. (And the end of the Smuggler prologue was just dumb IMO.) It's had a couple moments where it's gotten interesting (close to the end of Tython and Coruscant) but otherwise it just feels so dragged out IMO.

I can see the idea they were trying to do. To me it's like the other class stories (for the most part, not always) fit well in the time alotted...whereas the JC story is too short so they had to stretch it out a bit with fillers. And that's why I think it kind of drags and gets a bit boring.

I can see the idea they were trying to do. To me it's like the other class stories (for the most part, not always) fit well in the time alotted...whereas the JC story is too short so they had to stretch it out a bit with fillers. And that's why I think it kind of drags and gets a bit boring.

That's a very good way of putting it.

I am one of the few, who thinks it's one of the best. Played through 6 stories so far (lvl50) . Compared to many others (except agent), it gave me the feel that the story itself fits to the various planets and story arcs there. I also like the interaction with your big groups of followers. But seems the more crazy or simple action story lines win the broad audience - so nothing new here. The most stupid and boring was for me the jedi and bounty hunter story.

So it's certainly not for everybody, but there a few of us out there who actually like it. I even liked all acts ^^

The Jedi Consular story is most suitable for those who enjoy solving mysteries. Especially for those fascinated by the Force, this story brings up many new, original concepts.

Based on my experience, one part of the story I really enjoyed was the relationship between my character and one of the masters. To me, my character formed such a strong connection with this person that I saw the relationship as being almost familial.

Just an update, after completing Chapter 1 last night, it seems like the story is starting to pick up some, but it still rather boring. Chapter 2 is starting to have interesting ideas, but it will be interesting to see if they come to fruition. The only planet, out of the first 5 you go to that I thought was well done, was Alderaan because of what you had to do there:

You can force persuade the whole group to seeing things your way, which was a pretty cool moment

Though this and the Agent are the only classes I have played through, I spoiled myself by playing and completing the Agent first.

I am one of the few, who thinks it's one of the best. Played through 6 stories so far (lvl50) . Compared to many others (except agent), it gave me the feel that the story itself fits to the various planets and story arcs there. I also like the interaction with your big groups of followers. But seems the more crazy or simple action story lines win the broad audience - so nothing new here. The most stupid and boring was for me the jedi and bounty hunter story.

Younno, people keep saying that it's not well-liked because it's not action packed. Actually, the reason I find it watered down is that it doesn't have enough complexity. I wish there were more subtleties to the story. I wish there was more diplomacy, and less smacking people in the face with my lightsaber. But that's just me.

Younno, people keep saying that it's not well-liked because it's not action packed. Actually, the reason I find it watered down is that it doesn't have enough complexity. I wish there were more subtleties to the story. I wish there was more diplomacy, and less smacking people in the face with my lightsaber. But that's just me.

After doing a majority of the storyline for smuggler then doing my shadow, I was disapointed in the lack of shags a Shadow gets compared to a Smuggler :(

QFT.

For example:

Act 2: Suddenly you're a diplomat where they send you to....uh...hmmmm. Let's see. Which planet comes next? Oh yeah! They send you to Balmorra! On Balmorra you do some forgettable stupid stuff and then they rinse and repeat with Quesh and Hoth. No flow to the story, just random planet hopping to suit their leveling bracket with a little bit of "story" tossed in.

Act 2 isn't very strong in any of the class stories, but it's especially bad for Consular.

Edited by LKaras

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Consular story in NOT for everyone. If you do not like history, lore, diplomacy, etc... you probably won't find it interesting.

Act I i will say is definately long and can become boring at times since it is the same thing over and over again for 5 planets and with basically only 1 companion for 3 of them. They key to the Consular story is knowledge. Ask the correct questions and you will get quite a bit of story. And for me, RP'ing the story gives you a better experience. Rather than just choosing LS / DS, choose what you FEEL you should do. I don't always choose LS points or DS points just because, I choose what I feel like it at the time.

I felt like flirting once and was basically told "You idiot we are working here," other times I've not flirted, then once I flirted and we flirted the entire story. Of course flirting isn't going to get you LS points, but it does add some flavor to the story. There was even one point I stopped and thought for about 5 minutes becasue I was seriously about to choose DS points and would have been content with doing it (I REALLY didn't like the guy and was quite annoyed with him).

You can't just "spacebar" the consular story, you gotta actually pay attention to what is being said. Getting insight into lore and history of the TOR universe, can sometimes when you think about it you just go "WOW!" I mean, consider Act 1. At the end (though the villian is revealed early on /shakesfist), if you sit and think of the entire story, you are like "WOW! That was serious! That is totally messed up." While the Acts themselves are not "action packed" they are definately full of information - if you SEEK it out.

The Story is good, or, at least, I like it. It has a lot to do with culture and history and politics. So if your not into that sort of thing, then yeah, it'd be pretty boring. I really like the Qyzen and Nadia stories to.

I agree. Whether the Consular story is "good" or "boring" depends greatly on your interests. If you like delving into the history surrounding the dawn of the Jedi Order, you will love the Tython section. The remainder of Act 1 does get a bit repetitive, but the core idea is still interesting. And the boss fight at the end of the Alderaan storyline is notoriously difficult, especially for Shadows. (It's much easier for a Sage.)

And once you move on to Act 2, you are tasked with unravelling a diplomatic crisis, by reassuring a coalition of restive Republic planetary leaders that the Republic has not abandoned them. The catch is, it generally falls to you to demonstrate via frequent use of your own lightsaber that the Republic has not abandoned them. The history lessons continue, as at one point you find yourself learning first-hand a big chunk of the history of the Rakata, the vanished one-time masters of the galaxy. Can't delve too deeply into that element here without giving away the plot twists, but suffice it to say that if you like history and uncovering ancient Star Wars lore, you'll love the Consular storyline.

Chapter 3 really starts picking up, especially after you finish Hoth, though I tend to agree that for most of the class stories, the last 3 planets you go to (Belsavis, Voss and Corellia) are a lot of fun, and tend to really pick up the pace.

The biggest problem with the Consular story is that it is badly composed -- there a some cool elements, but they are either left unfinished or don't come together as a cohesive narrative. This is actually the case with all the class stories to varying degrees, but each has a different way of compensating; the Sith Warrior track makes up for the lack of a strong plot with a lot of energy and excitement, a charismatic lead, and enjoyable romances (LS or DS). Jedi Knight has that plus a lot of nostalgia. The Sith Inquisitor carries the day by sheer wit, engaging antagonists, and an interesting position in Sith society. Erstwhile, the grand mystical premises behind the Jedi Consular didn't allow for a weak plot, because it couldn't compensate with traditional Star Wars action and excitement, but its loaded with the same easy way outs and contrivances as the other class stories. Like I said, it doesn't make for a very sound composition. To put it concisely, I'd say that Act 1 didn't have ambition but fulfilled its purpose, while the premises of Acts 2 and 3 overreached the content they were willing to develop for the class.

That being said, it has its share of goose bump moments and points of interest along the tedium. The character himself is readily identifiable as the wise and courageous Jedi a lot of fans would enjoy relating to. And his mannerisms are more like those of a seasoned Jedi (like Yoda or older Obi-Wan, or Luke in Return of the Jedi) than the Jedi Knight's.

I'd also say that it is a somewhat more original Jedi story, whereas the Jedi Knight tends to recycle ideas from Kotor and the films.

Edited by DarthCraeth