Republic PvP is an absolute embarrassment

Lium

And I'm not just talking about warzones either. I mean, in general. It is TERRIBLE. For example. I was out questing last night on Voss. Because it was Friday night, there were a lot of people on the planet and there seemed to be a lot of activity going on. As a result, I encountered a lot of imps roaming around for the specific purpose of killing reps. I think I died about three times in the span of about 10 minutes. And you know what? It was GREAT! That's why I play on a PvP server, to have encounters just like this.

So, I'm definitely not complaining about that. What put me in a foul mood was the Republic players' response:

Me: Lots of imps tonight ganking away. Anyone wanna team up to get them?

*crickets*

I ask again maybe 20 minutes later. Same response - silence. Imps just ganking away, killing every rep they see on sight. No Republic players respond, no Republic player answers calls for help. No Republic player even bothers to fight back. It was 100% embarrassing.

If I was an imp player I'd be disappointed that no one from the other faction was putting up a fight. The one response I finally got back on the general chat was, "Ah, they're just 8 yr olds. It's Friday and they get to be up late." Or some crap like that.

Very serious question here. Why play on a PvP server if this is the kind of attitude you have? I could fully understand if this was a PvE server where you specifically play to enjoy the game at your own pace. But on a PvP server, there is a high chance you will encounter players from the opposing faction, even though BioWare has gone out of their way to separate the factions as much as possible.

When someone from my guild asked in guild chat if anyone wanted to form a team for PvP, I was elated. I screamed, "YES!!!" I said I was already on Voss and ready to go. My guildie then said, "Oh. No not that. I mean warzones." I was thoroughly dejected.

So the only time Republic bothers to PvP is when it is getting heinously violated in warzones? Warzones are little more than the empire's way of collecting free valor.

I knew this would happen before launch, when I browsed the forums and saw nearly every imperial guild recruiting for PvP, and the overwhelming majority of Republic guilds recruiting for RP. I was concerned and even made a thread about it way back in 2008 and again in 2009.

This ineptitude in PvP absolutely contributes to population imbalances. New players that might be interested in the PvP side roll Republic, get rolled themselves by imps, then reroll altogether to the other side. I'm really close to do doing that because playing Republic is extremely frustrating.

Republic is outnumbered for the most part,i dont know what server your on but The Bastion we Republic hold our own very well.

One other thing is people are most likely playing alts and want to move on asap and being ganked is just a minor blip while your questing for the most part.

And I'm not just talking about warzones either. I mean, in general. It is TERRIBLE. For example. I was out questing last night on Voss. Because it was Friday night, there were a lot of people on the planet and there seemed to be a lot of activity going on. As a result, I encountered a lot of imps roaming around for the specific purpose of killing reps. I think I died about three times in the span of about 10 minutes. And you know what? It was GREAT! That's why I play on a PvP server, to have encounters just like this.

So, I'm definitely not complaining about that. What put me in a foul mood was the Republic players' response:

Me: Lots of imps tonight ganking away. Anyone wanna team up to get them?

*crickets*

I ask again maybe 20 minutes later. Same response - silence. Imps just ganking away, killing every rep they see on sight. No Republic players respond, no Republic player answers calls for help. No Republic player even bothers to fight back. It was 100% embarrassing.

If I was an imp player I'd be disappointed that no one from the other faction was putting up a fight. The one response I finally got back on the general chat was, "Ah, they're just 8 yr olds. It's Friday and they get to be up late." Or some crap like that.

Very serious question here. Why play on a PvP server if this is the kind of attitude you have? I could fully understand if this was a PvE server where you specifically play to enjoy the game at your own pace. But on a PvP server, there is a high chance you will encounter players from the opposing faction, even though BioWare has gone out of their way to separate the factions as much as possible.

When someone from my guild asked in guild chat if anyone wanted to form a team for PvP, I was elated. I screamed, "YES!!!" I said I was already on Voss and ready to go. My guildie then said, "Oh. No not that. I mean warzones." I was thoroughly dejected.

So the only time Republic bothers to PvP is when it is getting heinously violated in warzones? Warzones are little more than the empire's way of collecting free valor.

I knew this would happen before launch, when I browsed the forums and saw nearly every imperial guild recruiting for PvP, and the overwhelming majority of Republic guilds recruiting for RP. I was concerned and even made a thread about it way back in 2008 and again in 2009.

This ineptitude in PvP absolutely contributes to population imbalances. New players that might be interested in the PvP side roll Republic, get rolled themselves by imps, then reroll altogether to the other side. I'm really close to do doing that because playing Republic is extremely frustrating.

I hear you man...

Just a short story about when I got the datacrons on tatooine (the balloon ones). I was logged out with my JKG nearby, was playing other alts and checking every now and then if someone was coming on the balloon so I'd duel them and jump up.

Here I see this lvl 50 sniper jumping on top off the thing, move close to the ledge to snipe me... BOOM jump, BOOM push. The poor guy. A fine day for the republic it was.

*crickets*

So..... are you calling Republic players insects? :p

Seriously though... people play this game for personal reasons, and for many that does not include dropping whatever they are doing to come help you with your personal desires to gank Imps.

So, I feel it is unfair for you to get frustrated becasue people don't want to drop whatever they are doing and have planned for the days play for them... to come help you out.

IMO.... you need to stop criticizing fellow server-faction members and either join an active and like minded PvP guild or spend some time to make PvP friends and network in game for like minded people. Emphasis: like minded people who have the same desires as you and a willingness to pursue them adhoc.

Edited by Andryah

i think its something in the psychology of those whe play republic/federation/alliance

were usually "the good guys" who do epic quests to save the world

those , who play empire/klingon/horde,,are usually more to PVP, and i think, that theyre younger too

this is only a "gut feeling",,the only thing i can bring as evidence is my experiences from PVP

and no,,we didnt lose so much, because i was on the team

they simply used the game mechanics better , than we did

Look, the first thing that happened to me when I logged in for the singular time in a few months was I got jumped by 2 Imps on Ilum. Well i killed them both and had enough health left to kill them all over again right away if it were possible for them to rez that fast. Now that's an absolute embarrassment.

Just out of curiosity, was it level 50 Imps running around a lower level planet killing Pub's, or was it Imps of area appropriate level?

If it's just a level 50 gank squad terrorizing Tatooine, why would anyone leveling up bother to even try?

If it's so bad, maybe some of the Imp's could roll some Pub alts?

If I have a limited amount of play time and am trying to accomplish some goals before work/bed/whatever, why would I want to drop everything just to engage in PvP that earns me nothing?

I'm sure we aren't getting the full story here but even on PvP servers PvE is the predominant play style since world PvP doesn't accomplish anything. If I got XP or something then maybe but otherwise I'll just keep on doing whatever it is I'm doing.

This isn't a contest of pride, it is a game that is played for enjoyment. If some tweens decide that it's fun for them to go gank a bunch of people that's fine but don't expect everyone to drop what they are doing to "counterattack".

I'm curious which server this was happening on.

if it was on pot5 (which I doubt), open /who and check for members of 'pax republica' and just ask them if they might help - or at least give a shout-out on the fleet (or message people on the fleet directly) - obviously there are a lot more guilds out there who are always up for 'avanging' our lowbies or starting some trouble with the imps, but I don't want to name any just in case they wouldn't appreciate it :p

if you are .not. on pot5, reroll :p

Seriously though... people play this game for personal reasons, and for many that does not include dropping whatever they are doing to come help you with your personal desires to gank Imps.

So, I feel it is unfair for you to get frustrated becasue people don't want to drop whatever they are doing and have planned for the days play for them... to come help you out.

IMO.... you need to stop criticizing fellow server-faction members and either join an active and like minded PvP guild or spend some time to make PvP friends and network in game for like minded people. Emphasis: like minded people who have the same desires as you and a willingness to pursue them adhoc.

Opinions are opinions... and in my opinion, yours is wrong :p . There is absolutely no reason to play on a PvP server if you dont want to do world PvP, and trash talking is probably one of the staples of PvP in any game. If you dont want to wold PvP or be called out for it when youre wimping out, then dont play on a PvP server.

Of course, you have to keep in mind most people dont want to bother unless they have a good chance of winning. Thats why 99% of the PvP you see on a PvP server is one-sided ganking, and its why I never bother with PvP servers in any MMO anymore. At least not until someone comes up with a world PvP thats actually interesting(like Warhammer), or puts at least a minimal amount of effort into it(unlike SWTOR).

BW could help us out by adding an incentive to open world PvP. Like others have posted, people want to get to max level and spending half an hour killing/dying in open world PvP is fun for some, it isnt for others. If they can come up with a system that gives incentives for losing/winning (like WZs do) open world PvP than I bet a lot more people would be doing it. I don't mind doing it for one. maybe two battles cause its fun...but there's no incentive after that.

Hi,

i really dont care about planet side PVP. For me, it's time waste. I dont attack, just defend when attacked. Reason is, there is no reward. BW should address this. Sometimes i help if there is Black Hole massive fight. It's fun (sometimes). But planet side PVP? Meh ..

I'm curious which server this was happening on.

if it was on pot5 (which I doubt), open /who and check for members of 'pax republica' and just ask them if they might help - or at least give a shout-out on the fleet (or message people on the fleet directly) - obviously there are a lot more guilds out there who are always up for 'avanging' our lowbies or starting some trouble with the imps, but I don't want to name any just in case they wouldn't appreciate it :p

if you are .not. on pot5, reroll :p

It was on PoT5 if I know what fight this thread is about. I was there for the majority of the fighting split between my healer and a dps. Republic turnout was pretty bad. Had some reps ask our group to leave so the imps would get bored. What's the point of rolling on a PvP server then?

Republic had from 6-8 players(some fresh 50s) at a time vs the imps 12 who had majority of WH gear.

It was on PoT5 if I know what fight this thread is about. I was there for the majority of the fighting split between my healer and a dps. Republic turnout was pretty bad. Had some reps ask our group to leave so the imps would get bored. What's the point of rolling on a PvP server then?

Republic had from 6-8 players(some fresh 50s) at a time vs the imps 12 who had majority of WH gear.

well, then I don't know. every time I am on tatooine there's 'help' around shortly after when the imps keep messing around.

but my original tips still apply: write members of the guild who are up for 'getting busy' (not saying they will always help, sometimes there are things scheduled after all) or write to random people on the fleet if they can give shout outs for help.

of course, one part of the 'problem' is the 50s in WH gear ganking lowbies for hours. I will never understand that part of PVP simply because i am more of a 'I like a challenge' person ;)

This.

And the OP admitted in his post that he KNEW it would be the way he's on about when he signed up..............but he's still on about it! People don't play the game the way I think it should be played! How embarassing!

I feel the need to step up and defend the faction I love.

I would say that on our server (The Progenitor) Republic was generally the weaker faction in PvP as well (while not taking any credit away from the awesome PvP guilds we do have) primarily because of the number of people who are interested in PvP. In PvE it is actually quite balanced (both fleets show around 120-150 people consistently at peak times) but in my experience, more serious PvP players tend to gravitate towards the Empire.

We do have some Ilum PvP events now and again (idk how many servers can say that) but the primary problem with that was (just like back in January) that for every Rep player who showed up we got 2 or 3 Imperials.

Some time ago I took part in an Ilum PvP event as a Sniper and was astounded to see that our faction got 2 full ops groups and partial one (well over 50 people) while the Republic couldn't muster even a single full group of 24 players.

Of course, it was very easy to win, just like what I suffered back in January (then on the receiving end of the imbalance.)

So I would say that the reason we tend to lose more often is not because of lack of skills, not because of lack of effort and not because of lack of coordination but lack of numbers. The 300 Spartans, no matter how heroicly they fought at Thermopyla, got overwhelmed by the 10.000 Spartans in the end...

For the Republic!

Edited by CommanderKeeva

some numbers from TOFN this morning 200 republics on fleet ... 120 imps on fleet... republics won the most this morning till the imp pvp guilds logged on then it evened out and became situational on the victors

(in morning imperials seem to have alot of 15k health mara's and other (republic average health rarely below 18k in mornings) because this is the time our warhero players are on

Edited by warriorcat

OP, in response to your initial post:

When the state of PVP is as pointless and lulzy as it is right now, it means a LOT of people if not everyone doesn't care about doing it.

In order for people to care about open world pvp the following must happen:

1. Create an incentive (however small) to participate in even doing it.

2. Allow for cross-faction chat, so players can organize open world battles better themselves.

3. REMOVE COMPANIONS FROM OPEN WORLD PVP ALTOGETHER