How do you handle trolls/griefers in PVP matches?

MrGrizzly

We've all been there: some guy on your team thinks he's The Force's gift to PVP matches and his self-validation exists solely in winning every PVP match he's in. In order to insure that he achieves that self-worth he'll scream at his own team the entire time about how they are all "stupid" and "should never cue again" or "uninstall your game". While /ignore is the easiest way to solve this issue; how do you handle it?

Let him rant?

Intentionally lose the match as a passive aggressive response?

Report him in a ticket since he's violating the "rules of conduct?"

All of the above?

Something else?

I certainly have my own modis operandi for folks like this but want to hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MrGrizzly

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet, when your ball carrier is running the wrong way and apparently can't read Ops chat for the duration of his idiotic life, only to go "I didn't know" once he's died and paying attention, how would you deal with that? Say "Good job mate" ?

play sorc. pull him into the fire/acid in huttball.

^^This works well.

I know some simply quit a WZ as soon as they see one of these sort on their team. I haven't gotten to this point yet, but it may happen. I wouldn't feel as bad now since queues pop so quickly a replacement can't be far behind.

If there are mouthy people on the other team and I'm on a dps toon.... sometimes my baser instincts get the better of me and I just focus him/her for the rest of the WZ.

We've all been there: some guy on your team thinks he's The Force's gift to PVP matches and his self-validation exists solely in winning every PVP match he's in. In order to insure that he achieves that self-worth he'll scream at his own team the entire time about how they are all "stupid" and "should never cue again" or "uninstall their game". While /ignore is the easiest way to solve this issue; how do you handle it?

Let him rant?

All of the above?

Something else?

I certainly have my own modis operandi for folks like this but want to hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

I would answer, but I'm that guy.

p.s. stop sucking.

:D

(That was just a joke!)

We've all been there: some guy on your team thinks he's The Force's gift to PVP matches and his self-validation exists solely in winning every PVP match he's in. In order to insure that he achieves that self-worth he'll scream at his own team the entire time about how they are all "stupid" and "should never cue again" or "uninstall their game". While /ignore is the easiest way to solve this issue; how do you handle it?

Let him rant?

All of the above?

Something else?

Thanks in advance.

Honeslty, I'd rather have THAT guy on my team, as opposed to the many derps who roll into WZ's with less than 400 expertise or those who don't understand objective based PvP. Sometimes, an over-zealous player can actually be nice to have, but the others have to take it in stride and not wear their feelings on their armor. Sure, some can be obnoxious even when the team is doing the best they can, but truth be told I typically find the ones who do this have a valid reason. The ratio between these types and those who medal farm, quit or have no idea what they're doing is pretty vast, and I tend to side with the dude raging about winning, as opposed to the people quitting and QQ'ing. If you dislike it so much, there are plenty of ways to move along.

/shrug

Edited by Pistols

And yet, when your ball carrier is running the wrong way and apparently can't read Ops chat for the duration of his idiotic life, only to go "I didn't know" once he's died and paying attention, how would you deal with that? Say "Good job mate" ?

I did this by accident last weekend, my huttball UI was backwards (colors, score, everything). I'd say 10% of my huttball WZs are backwards

This, and then take SS of what im sure would be a hilarious conversation that would follow.

And keeping them as a proof when you report him for aggressivity later... It's sadistic, and the guy will recieve a punishment he deserves. Why not, it could be fun.

Wait till the end of the match and point out in ops chat the scoreboard where I have Out-DPS'd, Out-Killed, Out-Healed, Out-Objective Scored and Out-Lived him - all at the same time. Edited by Kheg

I did this by accident last weekend, my huttball UI was backwards (colors, score, everything). I'd say 10% of my huttball WZs are backwards

/Off-topic

YES !!! I have had this happen a few times too, and its #$%*@! stupid. Your score is their score, their score is your score. They have possession = your team has possession, etc. Its 100% flipped. Wacky bug.

/return to topic

Don't even remind me. This happened to me two days ago. We were 1-0 up and then this happened. Went on a downward spiral after that. Lost 5-2.

I just let them rant. I do give them a hard time with comments like" u crying again?' or "Don't u ever shut up" or "I bet you'll be more beneficial to the team if you were doing something other than what you're doing now". List goes on but I make it known that I got my eyes on them.

We've all been there: some guy on your team thinks he's The Force's gift to PVP matches and his self-validation exists solely in winning every PVP match he's in. In order to insure that he achieves that self-worth he'll scream at his own team the entire time about how they are all "stupid" and "should never cue again" or "uninstall your game". While /ignore is the easiest way to solve this issue; how do you handle it?

Let him rant?

All of the above?

Something else?

Thanks in advance.

Play better then him, and then point it out to him.

And if hes better than you, be quiet and take it.

Play better then him, and then point it out to him.

And if hes better than you, be quiet and take it.

Depending on your class you'll always end up doing something better than his class...so define "better", please. And also are you saying that this behavior is acceptable so long as you are "better"? (I'm asking only from a point of clarity not judgement).

Honeslty, I'd rather have THAT guy on my team, as opposed to the many derps who roll into WZ's with less than 400 expertise or those who don't understand objective based PvP. Sometimes, an over-zealous player can actually be nice to have, but the others have to take it in stride and not wear their feelings on their armor. Sure, some can be obnoxious even when the team is doing the best they can, but truth be told I typically find the ones who do this have a valid reason. The ratio between these types and those who medal farm, quit or have no idea what they're doing is pretty vast, and I tend to side with the dude raging about winning, as opposed to the people quitting and QQ'ing. If you dislike it so much, there are plenty of ways to move along.

/shrug

This is true. People always assume that guy is just a baddie, but I'd wager more often than not, that guy is actually a good player who just happens to have anger mgmt issues or is just a sore loser. Maybe he's just not used to losing a lot and doesn't know how to handle it.

Either way, I agree you're usually better off with that guy on your team since he's likely actually trying to help you win the game, rather than the usual selection of afk'ers/derps/people in leveling greens.

Does the quest icon in the endzone and arrows on the radar also appear backwards? Personally I have never noticed this bug at all, but I mean there are so many ways to tell like "which color am I glowing" then run to the side that is the other color. I think the only option for someone that does run the wrong way is to be a sorc and pull them into the fire in order to stop them from hurting the team. An easy way to tell is when you run out of spawn look north, then remember which turn direction from spawn that is and whenever you get the ball going the correct direction "north should always be x".

As far as the rage thing, I do it but it is not rage. I feel that public humiliation is a great way to help people to improve or not play anymore, both options are satisfactory outcomes in my eyes until 8 man queues allow me to avoid the bad players. I have tried many times to be civil about things such as this and discuss with them in private about how they might improve but their ego's get in the way, so the only thing to do is to publicly destroy their credibility/skill in front of everyone so they will accept the advice. If you don't believe me try it yourself, offer some friendly advice to someone in the 50 bracket, like "please buy recruit gear" and see what type of response that gets you.

Edited by Rizael

How do I handle them? I just start grabbing the ball and running for my own endzone, or I'll abandon a controlled node, or maybe run away from a door and leave it unguarded why I go cry on the forums...just like 99.8% of the people who play this game.

For me the two primary Plans are;

Plan A.

Enjoy the game, Play as well as I can, focus on objectives, support team members, announce inc early, listen to what is said and maintain situational awareness.

Plan B

Completely lose it and fling about abuse willy nilly until match ends.

While plan A is my preferred option, over the last 15 odd years of PvP gaming I have been known to explore Plan B a few times.

This happened to me and my team as well last week. We thought our scores were helping the other team because the scoreboard was bugged. So we let the other team score for us. Unfortunately, we found out that it was just the scoreboard that was bugged so we had to make a comeback down 4-1. Ended up winning 5-4. Was bizarre to say the least.

All I heard is that you're the guy about whom the OP is talking.

As far as the rage thing, I do it but it is not rage. I feel that public humiliation is a great way to help people to improve or not play anymore, both options are satisfactory outcomes in my eyes until 8 man queues allow me to avoid the bad players. I have tried many times to be civil about things such as this and discuss with them in private about how they might improve but their ego's get in the way, so the only thing to do is to publicly destroy their credibility/skill in front of everyone so they will accept the advice. If you don't believe me try it yourself, offer some friendly advice to someone in the 50 bracket, like "please buy recruit gear" and see what type of response that gets you.

Just because you use rhe word please doesnt make you polite. I dont like crap players in my groups either. But life is full full full of idiots. Nothing you say will ever make them less so.

Not to mention negati e reinforcement is fail. Every time. Yelling at someone is a good way to get them doing whatever dumb thing they were doing even more just to spite the big meany yellong at them.

Ignore and play on.

Edited by maticlandarr